04.06.13

Kerry Washington In Jason Wu – 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

Kerry Washington In Jason Wu - 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards

Kerry Washington stunned on the red carpet on Monday evening for the 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards held at the Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center in New York City.

The ‘Scandal’ actress wore an eye-popping yellow duchess satin gown from the yet to be released Jason Wu Resort 2014 collection.

She certainly stood out on this red carpet, not only for the bold hue of her gown, but also the enticing open criss-cross back and cascading ruffle detail.

Allowing her natural beauty to shine through, Kerry opted for neutral makeup and a simple bun; choosing only to accessorize with a wooden clutch and yellow statement ring.

So far she is my favourite alongside Olivia Palermo.

Credit: Getty

Nicole Richie In Marc Jacobs - 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

Nicole Richie In Marc Jacobs – 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

Kourtney Kardashian's Stuart Weitzman 'Cuffy' Sandals

Kourtney Kardashian’s Stuart Weitzman ‘Cuffy’ Sandals

34 Responses to Kerry Washington In Jason Wu – 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards

1. Anj June 4, 2013 at 02:47 #

I feel like this outfit could’ve worked but for the accessorizing. The dress needs a more striking bag and definitely bright and colorful jewelry. Right now, it’s one tone and just makes me think of a long apron.

2. Christine June 4, 2013 at 02:47 #

I want to like it but I am not feeling the mustard yellow. Or the fabric and the back looks cheap, sadly.

• AG June 4, 2013 at 10:47 #

Agree! The fabric and back definitely make it look cheap. Disappointing.

3. justme June 4, 2013 at 03:01 #

The nude makeup doesn’t work for me here. Yellow usually asks for a bright red lippie imo.
    I do like the dress though.

4. Prudence June 4, 2013 at 03:07 #

SLAYING IT! I would have liked a dark red lip but ill gladly overlook that because this dress is so uniquely beautiful !

5. kane June 4, 2013 at 03:54 #

Oh whatever… I’ve now spent 5 min trying to write a post around the elephant at least in my room, but I’m just going to admit it. When it comes to this colour I’m always biased, biased towards Kate Hudson’s dress in “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.” As much as I want to erase the film from my memory, my memory of that dress has been lovingly preserved (and probably exalted) since my teenage years. And except for the playful draping of the straps on the back this dress doesn’t have any of the elements I loved in the other one so much: the flow, the airiness, the spark. This feels heavy and uptight. The blushing lip could have been a start, that wooden box for a clutch (otherwise a nice idea) was not. This is not a complete disaster, we’ve seen worse even from Kerry, but also so much better!

• Kathy June 4, 2013 at 04:38 #

This is seriously unflattering. It looks like a smock/apron, similar to Anne Hathaway’s Oscars dress from February. With a color as bold as this one, she should have at least emphasized one feature of her face with makeup (eyes or lips, that’s my motto).

• Kathy June 4, 2013 at 04:39 #

Whoops sorry, that was not supposed to be a reply.

6. MaddyEliza June 4, 2013 at 04:13 #

This looks like an awful prom dress to me. I don’t like it at all. I’ve been very disappointed in Kerry lately. :(

7. Jonna June 4, 2013 at 04:32 #

All she needs is a hair net and she’ll look like a dramatic lunch lady. This look is a big no for me. She can do waaaaaaay better.

8. Mandy June 4, 2013 at 04:47 #

I really want to like it, especially because i love yellow gowns. However i really dislike the fabric , shape and clutch. It reminds me of an apron.

• Quinn June 4, 2013 at 09:18 #

Apron is what I saw too when I first see this picture. I think its the material of this dress that makes it looked a bit unsophisticated. And I don’t like the nude lips either.

9. Taylor June 4, 2013 at 04:51 #

WOW…this is gorgeous. The color really pops on Kerry and the simple styling is a hit.

10. mattison June 4, 2013 at 05:05 #

Love it- the color, the ruffle, the clutch, the bare face. The only thing I might have changed is the elasticized back, but adding a sash or belt to cover it might have broken up that smooth front line…and speaking of, not that I’m complaining, but is anyone else wondering how that material looks so perfectly smooth and wrinkle-free? Did Kerry walk to the awards? :)

11. Pedro June 4, 2013 at 05:41 #

I looooove the dress but i really miss a better make up and some colorful jewerly!

12. Rebecca Z June 4, 2013 at 05:42 #

What I do like–the color, her hair and her lovely confidence and poise. What I don’t like–the clutch (really, a wooden box with this dress?)and the elastic across the back of the dress. Makes it look like a kindergarden smock.

• CreoleLady June 4, 2013 at 13:41 #

+1, ITA.

13. Yeliz June 4, 2013 at 08:34 #

She looks stunning from the front, I love the colour of the gown against her skin tone. My problem is the elastic band, it takes away the elegance of this gown. Still she looks beautiful with her simple styling.

• Alicat June 4, 2013 at 09:37 #

I like the gown and the colour suits her, but I agree about the elastic waistband. A gown of this calibre should fit and should never require an elasticised waist.

• KatieKate June 4, 2013 at 22:32 #

Totally–Jason Wu should really kinda be ashamed of himself.

14. Charlotte June 4, 2013 at 08:48 #

I don’t like this look. The fabric makes this dress looks cheap.
    Kerry is beautiful but I miss some earrings.

15. manja June 4, 2013 at 09:17 #

not liking this at all,looks like apron,and that clutch is not working with this.all in all a miss imo

16. Jai June 4, 2013 at 09:25 #

This is awful. Looks like a prom dress. I will always hate satin and that elasticated back is not doing anything to improve things. Total fail imo.

17. Fashion Guru June 4, 2013 at 09:37 #

Not a bit Kerry fashion fan…but this is rather refreshing. My only complaint is the a scrunchy looking elastic that cheapens the look big time.

18. TeaAtTwo June 4, 2013 at 10:55 #

I think she looks great, I’m not getting apron at all and the colour looks divine on her. I’d change the elasticated belt part and add tomato red lips but her beauty is stunning with the natural face.

19. Rashmi June 4, 2013 at 12:21 #

Frankly, even though this isn’t her best, hers is the best look in the event!
    The color made me love this dress!
    I disliked all the other looks except Juliette.

• KatieKate June 4, 2013 at 22:35 #

I, too, was extremely underwhelmed by the fashion at this event. Epic fail IMO. My fave was Lauren Santo Domingo in Proenza Schouler.

20. AnderBoBo June 4, 2013 at 13:49 #

She looks great but for me just shy of BDOTW. I agree that “mom jeans” elastic band in the back cheapens the dress, however that could have been forgiven if she had only rocked a bright red lippie!

21. Moxie June 4, 2013 at 15:46 #

I’m torn between apron and prom gown to describe this. Maybe if the styling had been better this would have worked.

22. Nat39 June 4, 2013 at 18:31 #

I love it, the colour, the original design, her simple styling, the only thing I would change is the wooden clutch, I’d go with the gold metallic.

23. Parvati June 5, 2013 at 02:16 #

This is a great outfit, one of the best of the event!

24. Dhppy June 6, 2013 at 02:42 #

I would have liked some bling; on the ears, on a bracelet, and on a different clutch. Also, I can’t believe that it didn’t occur to the designer to have a peplum start on top of (and therefore hide) that elastic waistband – it’s the first place my eye went to. However, I love the color on her, and I like the minimalist shape.

25. EmmaWoodhouse June 12, 2013 at 01:37 #

Bright way of sunshine. Would have forgone the elastic waist–otherwise great!