03.06.13

Helena Bonham Carter for Vogue UK July 2013

Helena Bonham Carter for Vogue UK July 2013

Known for her love of wearing Marc Jacobs and Vivienne Westwood, often wearing odd shoes on the red carpet, and her signature birds-nest hairstyle, Helena Bonham Carter graces the cover of Vogue UK’s July 2013 ‘Ageless’ issue.

The eccentric star was shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott wearing a Ralph Lauren black-and-white dress with organza ruffles, with the rest of her editorial seeing her wearing more Ralph Lauren and some Vivienne Westwood pieces.

The 47-year-old ‘The Lone Ranger’ actress talks to the mag about playing different roles, her character research and acting since becoming a mum.

On playing different roles: “I learned how to be a southern belle, which I’ve always rather wanted to be. And how to be a w***e, which I’ve also rather always wanted to be. And I learnt how to fire a double-barrelled shotgun from a prosthetic leg. It’s frighteningly empowering firing a gun, you know? I’m afraid I learnt that too…”

On doing character research: “The research is what I get off on. My mom is a psychologist and I’m very similar to her. I love the challenge of working a character out. Ultimately, I don’t agree to do a film because I think it’s going to be a success. I do it because I think I’m going to learn something from the character I’m playing. I’m not sure what yet, but I know I am going to learn something from Elizabeth [Taylor, in an upcoming BBC film]. I know that, somehow, I’m going to grow as a soul from playing her.”

On acting being less of a priority since becoming a mum: “It’s not my sole purpose so there’s less pressure on it. Which, of course, means I do it better. But I also find it’s less important to me now whether I’m c**p or good. I take myself so much less seriously than I used to. I used to be so self-critical, it was painful. Now I think, ‘OK, so I acted badly today. I’ll try and act better tomorrow.’ I mean, for God’s sake, it’s not like I’m a surgeon or anything. It doesn’t really matter, does it?”

Credit: Vogue UK

Brooklyn Decker's Isabel Marant 'Mira' Printed Dress

Brooklyn Decker’s Isabel Marant ‘Mira’ Printed Dress

Beyonce Knowles In Helmut Lang - Battery Park

Beyonce Knowles In Helmut Lang – Battery Park

12 Responses to Helena Bonham Carter for Vogue UK July 2013

1. Alicat June 3, 2013 at 12:46 #

She looks fabulous. I have always found her quirky style interesting although I would not emulate it! I love the comment about how she is less hard on herself now – that acting is not like performing surgery. She seems very down to earth.

2. naomie June 3, 2013 at 13:23 #

The cover is lovely, the hair, make-up and dress are all fabulous.
    The only thing that bothers me is the extremely heavy use of Photoshop. The woman is 47 years old. They just smoothed away 15-20 years off her face. Why? Is a 47 years old famous actress not good enough to be on the cover while actually looking her age?

• Alicat June 3, 2013 at 14:16 #

You make a valid point about the heavy photoshopping, especially when this issue seems to be focussing on age acceptance, although the emphasis, from the cover at least, is on being seen as “ageless” rather than real acceptance. All magazine covers seem to be so heavily photoshopped these days that the subject almost looks like a caricature of herself, and this goes for the 20 year olds as well as the more mature, “ageless” women.

• naomie June 3, 2013 at 14:45 #

It appears that for fashion magazines “Ageless” is an actual age, somewhere between 20-30 years.
        :D
        I’m aware that most magazines use Photoshop, but there’s a difference between shaving 5 years off a woman’s age and shaving 20 years off of her age. Especially since the average Vogue reader is 34 years old.
        Let us see some wrinkles, it’s human and natural for all women and men, and should never be seen as something negative that should be hidden and erased. That’s all I’m saying.

• Alicat June 4, 2013 at 01:11 #

Agreed. This may reflect a degree of cynicism, but at least they are featuring a woman of 47 years. But if the photoshopping process removes every single line so that she does not even look like herself, the message is still negative. Upon looking at this cover further, I have grown to dislike it. Her face is mask like and devoid of character.

• kane June 3, 2013 at 15:17 #

I’m not wowed by this either, she looks rather unnatural.

3. Christine June 3, 2013 at 14:13 #

I like the cover

4. jeremyrain June 3, 2013 at 16:13 #

I can’t dislike her. She’s so unique and funny in every sense. Disappointed in the heavily PS cover. She can goes crazy hair with dirty clothes like a homeless lady and I will still love it. Because she’s HBC!

• GGG June 5, 2013 at 05:07 #

I love everything about her too! While heavily photoshopped, you can’t mistake those cheekbones! She’s stunning and 100% HBC. :)

5. Ruth June 3, 2013 at 17:52 #

She looked more natural playing The Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland. The amount of Photoshop on this image is absolutely disgusting and *completely* unnecessary. I’m glad I never buy nor read these tacky magazines.

6. LEI June 3, 2013 at 22:12 #

So pretty.I hope she would opt for this style more often.

7. EmmaWoodhouse June 11, 2013 at 15:49 #

Too much photoshop I think, though her face is lovely. The dress isn’t working for me.