28.05.13

Cannes Film Festival 2013 Round Up

Cannes Top 5

Here is a round up from Cannes Film Festival 2013, as voted by you.

Nicole Kidman in Valentino Couture was by far your favourite look to hit the 12-day event, with 24% of the votes. In second place was Sonam Kapoor in Dolce & Gabbana. In third was Nicole again in Dior Couture. Fourth was Zhang Ziyi in Elie Saab Couture, and Nicole’s final Armani look clinched fifth place.

She also took 57% of the votes for being the Most Consistent during the festival, despite only giving us four looks. I wanted more. Many of you did too.

Zhang Yuqi Best Newcomer

Zhang Yuqi was a very popular choice – with 47% of the votes for Best Newcomer – as she delighted us in Ulyana Sergeenko Couture, Alexander McQueen, Monique Lhuillier and Roberto Cavalli.

The newcomer also clinched the Best Dressed from the East title, taking 37% of the votes, with Fan Bingbing in second place; plus, she was crowned the Breakout Star of the festival.

Justin Timberlake Best Dressed Man Cannes

Even with only a few looks during the festival, you crowned Justin Timberlake as the Best-Dressed Male of Cannes for his debonair Balenciaga suit and the dashing Dior Homme look he wore for his Canal+ TV show appearance which almost took the top spot for Best-Dressed Male of the Week.

Marion Cotillard Best Brand Ambassador

Even though we want to see Marion Cotillard mix things up on the red carpet, there is no denying that she was the best ambassador for Dior during the festival. Her Westwood sidestep left us baffled, but we had no such confusion or disappointment when she glided down the red carpet in Dior.

Worst Dressed Cannes 2013

While some of us were disappointed with the lack of wow factor the 2013 Cannes Film Festival delivered, some dresses disappointed more than others.

The look you liked the least was Florence Welch in Miu Miu, with 17% of the vote. Florence’s fashion faux pas was followed by Heidi Klum in Versace, Paz Vega in Stephane Rolland Couture, Emmanuelle Seigner in Alexandre Vauthier and Milla Jovovich in Prada.

Roberto Cavalli Most Worn At Cannes

Most-worn designer was a close-fought battle between Dior and Roberto Cavalli, with Cavalli taking the title dressing everyone from Sharon Stone to Olivia Palermo, much to our surprise.

Elie Saab Couture Cannes

Courtier of the Festival was also a close-run race, between Dior and Elie Saab. Thanks to Fan Bingbing’s love for the Lebanese designer – she wore three of his couture gowns during the festival – Elie Saab won the title.

Credit: Getty

Emmy Awards 2014 Fashion Critics’ Roundup

Emmy Awards 2014 Fashion Critics’ Roundup

Get Up To 70% In The Shopbop Sale

Get Up To 70% In The Shopbop Sale

61 Responses to Cannes Film Festival 2013 Round Up

1. Beta May 28, 2013 at 17:13 #

Cannes is the best week of the year for our fashion cravings :)
    thanks for the coverage :)

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:38 #

My pleasure, and I totally agree.

• Reez June 21, 2013 at 04:48 #

Thanx FC!

2. mm May 28, 2013 at 17:32 #

The coverage was amazing. Thank You FC.
    I will miss Cannes. I am glad Sonam Kapoor made the list. I wish Solange would’ve made it for best newcomer.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:40 #

I wish we got to see more of her. Pictures are so hard to find of Indian events

• Nishta May 29, 2013 at 02:24 #

Thank you for making the effort. I sometimes get upset that there’s never any coverage (in general) but it’s nice that someone tries (:

3. EmmaWoodhouse May 28, 2013 at 17:32 #

Dear FC,
    You have really outdone yourself once again, just when all your readers didn’t think it possible. The tireless devotion to informing us about fashion that brings us to this site day after day really shows strongest during a non-stop fashion-fest like Cannes, when you bring us along like a skillful tour guide, showing us all the sights and highlights, and letting us chime in with our opinion–an aspect that really makes this website unique!
    Over the last 12 days I’ve so enjoyed myself. It really excites me to see the dramatic fashion, whether I like it, LOVE it, leave it or loathe it!!! Your insightful comments (shout-out to your helpful blogging team as well!), spot-on designer IDs, and amazing features like the Cannes Diaries collaboration with Shoescribe.com, make it all the more splendid.
    Other readers have thanked you over the past few days, so I’m just adding my two cents as a grateful reader who has had your website at the top of my list for several years now.
    Thanks for this fun roundup–I so enjoyed it too! And rest up–you sure deserve it!
    XOXOX
    Emma

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:37 #

You are SO sweet.

Thank you and everyone who comes to the site on a daily basis to share my obsession x

• KatieKate June 1, 2013 at 21:59 #

Totally agree!

4. Jeremyrain May 28, 2013 at 17:45 #

Overall I think this year is pretty solid. We have some major gowns from Valentino, Armani, Saab and Cavalli. Dior is just so boring to me no matter how hard Marion Cotillard has tried. Also, major applaud for our celebrities, eps. Nicole Kidman, for stepping up with their hairdo this year.

5. kane May 28, 2013 at 18:07 #

My only big surprise is the disappointments but maybe my personal “favourites” in that category came too late into the festival. In any case, I agree with Jeremyrain calling it a “solid” year. It’s a shame it’s over though. I’d been looking forward to new looks for the past few days as some little mind-vacation from work. Congratulations, Catherine, on the immaculate coverage of the festival and many thanks for keeping us “posted.” Yours is one of two blogs I follow religiously.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:40 #

Thank you. Hoping it’s bigger and better in 2014

6. Yeliz May 28, 2013 at 18:15 #

Wow, three of five of Nicole’s looks are in the Top 5. She really was the Queen of Cannes for me.
    I also voted for Zhang Yuqi in the categories she won. I’m looking forward to see more of her red carpet style.
    My best dressed man was Justin too, that Balenciaga look was a BDMOTY worthy look.
    I didn’t vote for Marion as the best brand ambassador. For me it was Fan Bingbing for Elie Saab.
    The look I hated was the most was Emmanuelle Seigner in Alexandre Vauthier and Florence Welch in Prada was my runner-up. Although I have to say that I hated pretty much every look which was an option in that category.
    I only loved two of the Cavalli looks and they are Zhang Yuqi at the amfAR Gala and Alessandra in the pictured look. The rest of the looks were mostly tacky and/or too revealing.
    I think Elie Saab deserves to be the Couturier of the Festival, because I’m in the minority who will never get tired to see so much Elie Saab gowns on the red carpet. He is the King and I j’adore his designs.

Overall I think we got lots of stunning looks, but the wow factor was not as big as last year. And I’m so not used to see so much Dior on the Cannes red carpet.

The festival ended just two days ago, but I already can’t wait for next year. I love Cannes.

• Marybeth May 28, 2013 at 18:48 #

“I think Elie Saab deserves to be the Couturier of the Festival, because I’m in the minority who will never get tired to see so much Elie Saab gowns on the red carpet.”

I’ll join you in the minority. I love his pastel, embellished gowns, so well-represented here by Zhang Ziyi and Fan Bing Bing. I adore the dark and romantic gown Aishwarya is wearing, as well as the sleek dress and cape Carina Lau showed us.
      His princessy gowns are justly famous, but he has more range than that.
      In any case, at Cannes, where dazzle and class ought to commingle, he is truly King.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 28, 2013 at 18:59 #

I’m in total agreement with both of you about Elie Saab! He is perfect for Cannes! :)

• Kathy May 28, 2013 at 21:33 #

I totally agree with you. As we can see with Fan Bingbing and Aishwarya Rai’s dresses (placed side-by-side above), Elie Saab actually has quite a bit of range in his designs. Both of the dresses have lots of embellishment and the same silhouette, but that’s about where the similarities end. Bingbing’s dress is quite youthful, with a fairy-like vibe, while Aishwarya’s is dark, a little edgy, and unexpected. So I don’t understand why people are always complaining that Elie Saab’s dresses all look the same, when they clearly vary in color and texture, and suit various different personalities. He literally has a gown for almost everyone, from musicians to actresses to royalty.

• Yeliz May 28, 2013 at 21:56 #

I couldn’t agree more with you two.

• Rehman Baig Mirza June 9, 2013 at 17:24 #

I totally agree with you. Nicole was a Queen at Cannes. infact she is the Queen on the earth

7. Lyvm May 28, 2013 at 18:15 #

And to think Anne Hathaway nearly wore the same-ish dress as Nicole by Valentino for her Golden Globes win.

8. The Cherry Tree May 28, 2013 at 18:20 #

Don’t you mean best dressed “couturier”?

9. Marybeth May 28, 2013 at 18:30 #

Although the top five don’t exactly match my own, I certainly can’t quarrel with the choices. Those are 5 gorgeous looks!

I will quarrel with ranking Heidi among the 3 worst though! :lol:
    She may look tacky but she doesn’t look nearly as awful as Emmanuelle Seigner did. Her hair and make-up are quite lovely.

I like Marion Cotillard in Dior and was particularly glad to see her wonderful presentation of that white dress. Before that one, the best two Dior looks were Nicole’s opening ceremony one and Rosie H-W’s at amfAR. It was therefore nice to see Marion come out with such a winner, solidifying her Dior-girl status.

10. Scott May 28, 2013 at 18:30 #

I think Li Yuchun deserves a notable mention for keeping things interested. She’s definitely on my radar now.

11. Joy May 28, 2013 at 18:39 #

FC, I couldn’t be happier with your picks. I love them! I couldn’t agree more.

12. Magdalena. May 28, 2013 at 19:22 #

Great coverage once again, FC! It was really a pleasure to read your blog and follow the fashion on the festival.
    I agree with everything on this post, with the exception of the ‘Best newcomer’. Mine was Adele Exarchopoulos, for her fashion choices (very parisian chic, imo) and her acting.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:43 #

You ate welcome. I agree with your thoughts on Adele, however, Zhamg just blew me away, so I understand that the majority did too

13. Nat39 May 28, 2013 at 19:52 #

Am I the only one who is struggling to understand what is it exactly about Nicole’s Valentino that caused this much excitement?? Sure it’s lovely and Nicole is poised and graceful as per usual, but I’m not seeing an element of interest here, that special something that would make it such a major standout, whether it’s an original sophisticated cut, or color, or some exquisite embellishments, or some drama of skirt and print, and so on … nothing to make me wanna single it out as that special winning look.

My most disappointing was Zoe Saldana, only beacuse I had the highest expectations for her.

• CreoleLady May 28, 2013 at 20:39 #

You are not alone. Nicole Kidman’s Lanvin and Lauren gowns from last year’s Cannes were superior in fit, finish and fascination imho. I love her confidence, she works the red carpet, she commands attention but other looks had more of an impact on me this year, for better and worse.

I differ with you on Zoe Saldana because her Valentino was exquisite and unexpected for me. And Saldana was fierce in the Ungaro.

• Nat39 May 28, 2013 at 20:51 #

Absolutely loved her Ungaro look, I voted for it that day. Her Valentino was really nice but perhaps I set my expectations a bit too high for her as Zoe is usually the one who brings something cool, fresh and original, I was hoping for a true wow moment, it wasn’t it for me, but still nice and pretty of course.

14. Estranged May 28, 2013 at 21:29 #

I’m so glad that Nicole’s amazing run was appreciated by so many. The look I loved most was her Dior dress from the Opening Ceremony, it goes on my BDOTY list without a doubt. Also, she gave us five red carpet appearances, not four which is more than we got from Dane Kruger last year (counting only the festival).

15. TeaAtTwo May 28, 2013 at 22:54 #

This year’s Cannes hasn’t been that amazing for red carpet fashion but FC and the contributing writers coverage has been excellent as always.

Nicole Kidman in Dior Couture,Zhang Yuqi in Ulyana Sergeenko Couture and Carey Mulligan in Vionnet are the looks that I’m most likely to remember.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 01:42 #

I agreeamd thanks for the compliments.

Who do you hope to see on the jury next year?

• Fashion Guru May 29, 2013 at 05:21 #

Bring on Charlize dahling! You know she will chew up that scenery! Other than that, I would like to see Angelina Jolie take center stage. She has had some fascinating Cannes choices (and some usual boring ones). But I say Angelina — and a new stylist!

• Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 08:32 #

I think Angelina can give one or two knockouts but she will be have a hard time to be consistent!

But ya, I really really want either Charlize or Kate Hudson on the jury next year!! Fingers crossed ;)

• TeaAtTwo May 30, 2013 at 03:03 #

Charlize would be wonderful, Sarah Jessica Parker would be surprising but possibly exciting candidate. With her star rising I’d love to see Kerry Washington back at Cannes too.

16. Emily May 28, 2013 at 23:21 #

Cannes red carpet this year really has been boring as hell, I think I only WOW moment had was when Sonam Kapoor graced the red carpet in the absolutely stunning Dolce n Gabbana dress. Blame Diane Kruger for setting the bar so high!!!

• Nishta May 29, 2013 at 02:22 #

+1 I wasn’t all that wowed this year either. I LOVED Sonam’s D&G dress it is the only dress that actually stood out to me and that I remember. I was surprised it wasn’t one of the options in the poll (unless I missed it I can be blind like that) but I’m thrilled she came in second. I don’t see the fuss about Nicole’s dress but to each their own :D

17. Reez May 29, 2013 at 02:26 #

Congrats FC

keep up ur excellent work

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 11:37 #

thanks … will do x

18. Sindhu May 29, 2013 at 03:47 #

Hi FC,
    I had/have a wonderful time visiting your website everyday specially during the Cannes and Oscars. This time around I was a disappointed as you shot down request from other readers to cover “Vidya Bala” dressed by Sabyasachi. I understand that you responded as the site being very busy. She was a part of the jury too. I would have loved to see her here.

love
    Sindhu

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 11:37 #

Photos are very expensive. I can’t feature everyone unfortunately.

I don’t know much about Indian traditional dresses and the few times I have featured a celeb in traditional garb I have been shot down for getting the name of the garment wrong.

• KatieKate June 1, 2013 at 22:05 #

Understandable. Obviously your readership skews a certain way, and you have to abide accordingly. I think peoples’ expectations are a little bit unreasonable. Keep up the great. Work!

• Tia May 29, 2013 at 13:21 #

Guess the photos of the East Asian Actresses are far cheaper.

• KatieKate June 1, 2013 at 22:07 #

Ignorant comment. If you don’t like the coverage, you are free to choose another source.

19. Alicat May 29, 2013 at 04:44 #

They are all such beautiful looks. Sigh… It is nice to fantasise about wearing such a gown. I secretly find the wacky looks as entertaining as the most beautiful. That might be a bit naughty but after all, Cannes is about entertainment and should not be taken too seriously.

I would also like to thank FC for her excellent, knowledgeable and tireless coverage. I must admit I am suffering withdrawal symptoms.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 11:35 #

You are very welcome. Thank you.

I am too….need a fashion fix soon :)

20. Fashion Guru May 29, 2013 at 05:31 #

Aishwarya’s Saab gown is winning me over the more I look at it. I love the drama and the air of mystique that it is giving here here: like a fabulous Spanish seniorita! The dress is exquisite, even if i am soooo over Saab Couture.

I’m sorry, but I might be the only one who detests this Sonam Dolce look. It is beyond hideous to me. It’s like you my grandma’s old couch pattern threw up all over this dress! And I am absolutely sure one of the Golden Girls had this design plastered in her bathroom — I think it was Blanche! Yuck.

21. Bec May 29, 2013 at 05:38 #

I get so bummed out when Cannes is over FC.

What am I going to do in the mornings when I sit at my desk with my cuppa?? (work? no!) haha

Amazing coverage as always, love your work x

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 11:34 #

me too, Venice starts on August 28th…

22. Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 08:19 #

3 out of 5 for Nicole! She really did WOW us everytime she stepped in!
    And 3 out of 5 from my best dressed list too :D (Not bad at all! )

I just lovedd Zhang Yuqi! She was the breakout/find of CANNES this year.

And Elie Saab winning the Couturier for this year was easy!
    The reason why people are bored of Elie Saab is because 50% of celebrities go and pick the similar dresses!!
    And so I am glad that Aishwarya and Zhang Ziyi went and selected the other gorgeous dresses!
    His dresses are truly magical!

FC, will we be getting a Critic’s Round up for Cannes ????? Really waiting for the one’s you chose!

23. Sabreena May 29, 2013 at 10:08 #

Whoa! Those 12 days were like a fashion roller coaster ride for me.I enjoyed every minute of it.

Loved Nicole Kidman’s looks.Especially,the one in valentino couture as well as Dior couture.She is class,elegance and grace personified.She could even make a bin liner look good on her.A special mention to Zoe Saldana too.I think she looked amazing in her valentino gown.Everyone else was good.However,I was not that satisfied with fan bingbing’s looks.I was missing her traditional gown, that she always wears on her first red carpet at cannes.

And FC,THANK YOU SO MUCH.I can skip having my breakfast in the morning,but can never skip coming on your site, the moment I wake up.I follow your site religiously…you do an amazing job! Keep up the good work…
    xoxo
    Sabreena

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 11:33 #

Thanks you so much….I often find myself skipping breakfast and lunch too just to update. I get just as hooked :)

24. Jess2 May 29, 2013 at 13:29 #

There is no denying it, Cannes is my favourite time of year made even better by your coverage Catherine! Thank you so much for your amazing coverage, you really are the best! I hope you get to enjoy a lovely holiday now.

I was a little sceptical, thinking that Diane Kruger was going to be impossible to beat but I did find myself thinking ‘Diane who?’, though I still think she was an all round knock out last year. I loved seeing some some of the newbies, Zhang Yuqi and Lea Seydoux are my new obsessions and my goodness, Nicole, Fan and Zhang Ziyi were on fire! It was just the fashion fix I needed though I’m sad it’s over. Counting down the days until next year :D

Thanks so much again, Catherine! Xox

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 20:00 #

You are so sweet Jess2. I know you have been a long time supporter, so this means a lot x

25. GRACE May 29, 2013 at 13:40 #

Thank you FC for such extensive coverage almost 24/7! I got to read lovely new posts almost every time I logged in (which is fairly often). I think special mention ought to go to Carey Mulligan: even though she didn’t quite embrace the go-big-or-go-home motto of the festival, her minimalist looks were effortless, consistent and quite memorable.

• Catherine Kallon May 29, 2013 at 19:59 #

My pleasure….I’m having major withdrawals :D

26. Rashmi May 29, 2013 at 23:46 #

Thanks FC for your amazing work! Love your site!
    Btw will you also be doing a critics roundup??

27. Aayushi May 30, 2013 at 02:44 #

The only disappointing thing about Nicole Kidman is that she wore a lot of whites!!!!!!!

28. Ethan May 30, 2013 at 14:43 #

Nicole Kidman totally deserve it! But for me, her dior dress was the best and then the armani dress.

29. Ana Laura May 30, 2013 at 16:38 #

I love Zhang Yuqi choices! and as always, Fan BingBing look stunning! she always does interesting choices but I get tired of seeing Elie Saab dresses of her lately…

30. Alina April 28, 2014 at 16:20 #

I’m really excited for the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, so I decided to look back at all the posts about the 2013 event… and I have to say that, even a year after, it’s still a blast reading all your posts, FC. :)

Can’t wait for this year! Jessica Chastain and Nicole Kidman better deliver some ‘WOW’ moments!

• Catherine Kallon April 28, 2014 at 17:44 #

I am beyond excited too for those two. They will make up for the lack of a major fashion player in the jury