26.05.13 Premiere

Uma Thurman In Atelier Versace - 'Zulu' Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

Uma Thurman attended the ‘Zulu’ premiere this evening which also serves as the Closing Ceremony for the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, held at the Palais des Festivals in France.

The actress went out with a bang wearing an Atelier Versace gown.

Her custom strapless metallic silver gown with a dramatic train was enriched by silver Swarovski crystals on the bodice which were complemented with silver jewels.

We’ve seen a few custom-made gowns during this festival, but this one couldn’t be more fitting for the mega star. It has everything — glamour, sexy appeal, embellishments and a dramatic train.

A side parted slick bun completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Sylvie Tellier In Andrew Gn - 'Zulu' Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

Sylvie Tellier In Andrew Gn – ‘Zulu’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

Asia Argento  - 'Zulu' Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

Asia Argento – ‘Zulu’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

42 Responses to Uma Thurman In Atelier Versace – ‘Zulu’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere and Closing Ceremony

1. Nat39 May 26, 2013 at 20:18 #

Somehow this feels dated.

• Nat39 May 26, 2013 at 20:26 #

..and the bodice is kinda cheap-looking.

• dunzoo May 26, 2013 at 20:33 #

+1. Dated, cheap looking and totally boring. I almost didn’t recognized her, did she have work done ?

• Blush May 27, 2013 at 02:20 #

Dated in what way? Carole Lombard could have worn this. Classic glamour does not date.

• Prudence May 27, 2013 at 04:51 #

AGREED! Versace has been doing dresses like these since the early 2000, the Versaces she wore two years ago I believe were true knockouts. This is just blah

2. Fashion Guru May 26, 2013 at 20:30 #

I disagree. This is what Cannes is all about. Dramatic. Ethereal. Stunning. This is everything I hoped Nicole would look like tonight. If this is what I’ll get, I’m a happy camper! 5 starts diva!

• DorianGray May 26, 2013 at 21:15 #

If this is cheap and dated even Cannes Festival itself is. Love this look, one of the best on the red carpet.

• Gloria May 27, 2013 at 00:43 #

+2 You didn’t mention the gorgeous fabric which enhances the design. Any idea what it is?

• Blush May 27, 2013 at 02:21 #

I agree. My favorite part is the crystals in rows on the bodice. Stunning design.

• Jess2 May 28, 2013 at 13:51 #

I agree as well, Uma looks absolutely amazing. Definitely a movie star at her best!

3. Charlotte May 26, 2013 at 20:39 #

I like the cut of the dress but not the fabric and the color. Still, Uma was gorgeous.

• Nat39 May 26, 2013 at 21:10 #

I agree about the colour, it’s not the best for her complexion, she look greyish.

• dee May 28, 2013 at 13:37 #

I agree.

4. Fiona-Brasil May 26, 2013 at 20:43 #

Dated indeed… Nevertheless Uma looked stunning Divalicious.

5. molly May 26, 2013 at 20:55 #

Finally, a look from Cannes worth talking about! It only took twelve days, but better late than never.

• Mm May 26, 2013 at 21:02 #

I agree, she looks like royalty. Love uma

6. Christine May 26, 2013 at 20:56 #

Not liking this dress at all. The material is not a good look.

• Fashion Guru May 26, 2013 at 21:00 #

It does no photograph well…but stunning in person. This photo does not do it justice!

7. Yeliz May 26, 2013 at 21:12 #

I really don’t like this gown at all. It feels dated and the fabric looks cheap. And it also looks kinda promish to me.

8. Marybeth May 26, 2013 at 21:33 #

High marks from me for drama, great fit, polished styling, and presence. Go big or go home, as they say.
    This is nevertheless not one of my favorite looks from Uma. I’m not crazy about the color (on her) or the fabric — but I do appreciate her effort to be regal this evening.

9. Pablo May 26, 2013 at 21:40 #

DIVA!

(nice gown, nothing really new though, but she is selling it like a superstar!)

10. Leeann May 26, 2013 at 21:49 #

Muttin dressed as lamp

• KatieKate May 28, 2013 at 04:40 #

Do you mean mutton dressed as lamb? Lol!

11. Fanny May 26, 2013 at 22:04 #

I love it.

12. Aline May 26, 2013 at 22:44 #

The gown’s design is amazing, so is the fit. But I can’t say the same about the material, it looks cheap.

13. kane May 26, 2013 at 23:02 #

Hmmm, not feeling the hair and the eye make up. I think I likt this neck-down, although it has a very armoury feel to it.

14. Kathy May 26, 2013 at 23:08 #

This comes off as so desperate to me. Everything from the princess-gown silhouette to the silver sheen of the fabric to the matching jewlery practically begs for attention, but fails to earn it. The bodice and skirt shouldn’t BOTH be shiny, in my opinion…that’s just overkill. It feels like space suit material. Really tacky.

• Kathy May 26, 2013 at 23:09 #

Rather, it gets the wrong KIND of attention.

15. Fiona May 27, 2013 at 00:23 #

I want to like this and I appreciate the drama of the gown but I agree with other comments about the fabric, something is just wrong, difficult colour to wear and probably photographs badly.

16. Alicat May 27, 2013 at 01:33 #

Very dramatic, very Uma. It is certainly aiming for the vintage glamour vibe. Maybe the fabric is a bit too shiny… The fit is fantastic. Overall I think she looks great.

17. Blush May 27, 2013 at 02:19 #

Everyone will talk about Nicole Kidman. If she had worn this gown more people would be gushing over it, no doubt. For me, this was the look of the festival. True movie star. Perfect for Cannes.

• Kathy May 27, 2013 at 18:31 #

I don’t think that’s quite fair. I can only speak for myself, but I would feel the same way about this dress no matter who wears it, be it Uma, Nicole or someone else. I do think Nicole is much more consistent style-wise, but if she had worn this gown I would still find it tacky. It has nothing to do with the wearer, because no amount of class could save it IMO. I don’t think you should be holding our (meaning fellow readers) support for Nicole against us.

18. Marion May 27, 2013 at 02:23 #

I have noticed that Versace is never emphasised as Elie Saab or other brands…is there something against it? I feel they together with Valentino have the know how of the real couture. Sorry folks but they know how to make evening gowns!

19. Moxie May 27, 2013 at 04:37 #

Not sure about the color, but the dress itself is outstanding.

• Diana May 27, 2013 at 13:21 #

20. Lila May 27, 2013 at 06:43 #

I don’t like this. I should- the design is beautiful, the cut is beautiful, the fit is beautiful. I even like the fabric. And yet I don’t like this look. Maybe it’s the stylilng? Maybe it’s how uncomfortable she looks? It’s an interesting contrast between Nicole Kidman who took an okay dress and turned it into a phenomenal look and Uma who took a dress that should be extraordinary and made it only okay.

21. Jennifer May 27, 2013 at 08:54 #

I mean, it’s a nice gown. It’s dramatic and, yes, very Uma. But this just feels tired. And the hair is uninspired.

If she had worn the Zac Posen MET Gala look here, I would’ve been over the moon. That would’ve been perfect for Cannes.

This just looks like a high class prom dress (that fabric, ugh). It’s not working for me.

22. Ariel May 27, 2013 at 12:04 #

I don t like it. It looks like she s wrapped in sheet iron. The hairdo adds to the cold and harsh impression. Brrrrr…

23. EmmaWoodhouse May 27, 2013 at 15:42 #

This really commanded my attention, and thought it isn’t on my BDOTY list, I think it encapsulated what Cannes is about–high glamour. The sweeping train and shimmering fabric really draw the eye. The bodice is interestingly intricate, though I’m tired of sweetheart strapless looks…I think they often come off a little tacky. Her styling is great and she herself looks like a queen.

• EmmaWoodhouse May 27, 2013 at 15:43 #

*though

24. KatieKate May 28, 2013 at 04:41 #

Glamazon!

25. Alex May 30, 2013 at 11:48 #

This dress looked cheap and tacky in person, was actually shocked that she was wearing it. The change later in the evening was better, if still not stunning and topped with a fur stole :(