Nicole Kidman In Chanel  - 'La Venus a La Fourrure' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Nicole Kidman made her fourth red carpet appearance as a juror of Cannes Film Festival this evening, attending the ‘La Venus a la Fourrure’ premiere.

She’s had many BDOTY worthy moments from this festival, in fact each of the first three looks will battle for a place in my end of year list; however, this one will not be joining them.

The actress joins Tilda Swinton in selecting a look from the Chanel Resort 2014 collection.

While I don’t hate her white sequined dress with a silk tulle black-and-white ruffle hemline styled with a bejewelled belt, it didn’t leave me gasping for air like the other three.

Had it been longer, possibly. Or had it been sans ruffles, also possibly, but then the dress would have nothing dramatic to speak of. It would just be a white sequined dress, and lord knows we’ve seen plenty of those.

The red Christian Louboutin ‘Decollete 554′ pumps however really enhance the overall look.

Light make up, a rolled, braided messy updo and Fred Leighton black enamel and gold cuff bracelets provided the finishing touches.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Zooey Deschanel's Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Zooey Deschanel’s Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

'La Venus a la Fourrure' Cannes Film Festival Premiere Round Up

‘La Venus a la Fourrure’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere Round Up

45 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Chanel – ‘La Venus a La Fourrure’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Christine May 25, 2013 at 21:22 #

I didn’t like this dress on the runway. But Nicole is rocking this and wearing it much better than the model.

2. Yeliz May 25, 2013 at 21:24 #

This look won’t be in my BDOTY list either. She doesn’t look bad, but I agree that the dress should’ve been longer. Love her hairstyle though.
    And btw, I hardly really love a Chanel gown so it’s not really Nicole’s fault that this look is my least favourite of her Cannes looks.

3. Papiki May 25, 2013 at 21:29 #

I wanna hate this so much, but it’s Nicole! It could have been a whole lot worse! Let’s face it, it’s a terrible dress! Looked horrible on the model, slightly better on Nicole! For me Nicole’s styling saves it! The messy updo, the popping shoes…

4. Nat39 May 25, 2013 at 21:32 #

This is an unfortunate fail for Nicole. The ruffled hem is kinda feathery-like yucky, the rest of the dress is plain, in fact ditch the bizzare ruffle hem and it´s a photocall look, the ´side boob waiting to happen´ cut isn´t doing her any favours, the hair looks sloppy, I only love the pumps.

• Prudence May 27, 2013 at 04:37 #

ITA

5. KatieKate May 25, 2013 at 21:38 #

While it doesn’t top my list of looks from her at Cannes, I do happen to think she looks amazing, nonetheless. I almost wonder if it’s because we hold her to such a high standard. As for her hair, that is one of the most beautiful up-dos I think I have ever seen!

6. Pablo May 25, 2013 at 21:41 #

I think it’s too much to ask for her if we intend to have a BDOTW look every time she steps on the red carpet! ;)

It’s not as impressive as her previous looks, ok. But I actually like it a lot.
    The texture of the white sequins looks amazing.

Anyhow, she’s on awesome form.

• Beta May 27, 2013 at 12:21 #

+1 Me too, I actually love it, which is strange considering it’s chanel

7. carol May 25, 2013 at 21:55 #

Not my favorite look of hers in Cannes, but definitely a winner!
    Only few people could make this dress work, and she did it. love the shoes and the hair

8. kat May 25, 2013 at 22:07 #

I don’t like the dress. But the hair is spectacular. Whoever is doing her hair in Cannes deserves major props. All her hairstyles are great.

9. Lila May 25, 2013 at 22:09 #

This is not my favorite of her looks but I actually love this. I hated it on the model but Nicole is working it! It fits beautifully, it’s wonderfully dramatic and I love how hot she seems to feel. That raises it a lot IMO.

• CreoleLady May 25, 2013 at 23:34 #

+1.

• Laura May 26, 2013 at 05:16 #

+1 I actually love this. The hair and dress remind me of Nicole in the late 90s. She looks spectacular and so much better then the model

• Cami May 26, 2013 at 12:07 #

Somehow her overall look also reminded me of Nicole’s Galliano dress in 1997 and the way she was carrying it. I am not crazy about the dress either, but I do love the top and the way it looks fresh on her.
        She complemented the outfit with perfect pumps, make up and hairstyle. She looks amazing! I think that she covers all top three positions of this year best Cannes outfits, and all her looks make the top 10 at least!

• Fashion Guru May 27, 2013 at 03:14 #

Great insight and observation. I had the same feeling! Goosebumps!

10. kane May 25, 2013 at 22:12 #

I like the swirl in her hair, but find it too messy from the front.

11. Maria S. May 25, 2013 at 22:16 #

I for once like this look. Nicole is finally bringinf something to the red carpet after years of boring looks and L’Wren Scott’s. And let’s be honest, if Diane have worn it you would have loved it…

12. mrs. a May 25, 2013 at 22:26 #

Hate this dress! Seems as if the designer couldn’t decide what it should be. The hem looks like an. afterthought and the dress looks sloppy in general.

13. Magdalena. May 25, 2013 at 22:28 #

I really like this. It’s sexier and fresher than her previous looks. Total movie star.

• Samuel May 26, 2013 at 12:29 #

Totally agree…sexy, fresh, nice breath of fresh air!

14. noo May 25, 2013 at 23:12 #

Those feathers are wrong and the red shoes look so tacky :S

15. Marybeth May 25, 2013 at 23:15 #

I don’t much care for the dress but I think Nicole is wearing it as well as it could be worn.

I love the hair. It’s been great to see her so nicely coiffed during the festival!

16. Kimi May 25, 2013 at 23:45 #

Though I agree it’s not like the other three dresses, but I say she’s working it with confidence. I feel like she’s bringing the dress to life and making it look better than it is.

17. Ramsay May 26, 2013 at 00:04 #

Another winner for Nicole – she is on top form – very close to claiming back the best dressed woman title she held so tightly between 2001 and 2006

18. Tiger Nueng May 26, 2013 at 00:15 #

Good choice for breaking! I can’t wait for her choice at the closing ceremony,hope she makes a huge major at the end of perfect combo on cannes red carpet this year.

19. jessica May 26, 2013 at 00:28 #

I love it

20. Fiona May 26, 2013 at 00:37 #

I love this – not my favourite look, but she makes it look way better than the runway and I love how she makes it sassy and fresh. Her styling has been amazing all festival, her hair has been styled imaginatively and elegantly which is so refreshing, and her shoe choices have been creative, thank you Nicole!

21. Alicat May 26, 2013 at 00:43 #

I like the ruffle hem but the way it is attached to the dress is awkward. The bodice does not quite fit perfectly – a bit gappy. The concept of the gown is lovely but it doesn’t quite work. Even so she still looks lovely, but it doesn’t have the impact of her other looks so far.

22. TL May 26, 2013 at 00:52 #

Everything else looks great except for the dress, not liking the bottom part or the length either. It could be longer, or a long train…

23. Jai May 26, 2013 at 02:06 #

I wonder if she has a different hair stylist during this festival. If so, bravo. Her hair in Cannes has been awesome.

• Cooltweens May 26, 2013 at 03:21 #

A different hair stylist helps her in Cannes. https://www.facebook.com/John.Nollet – John Nollet of L’Oreal Paris.

• Beta May 27, 2013 at 12:24 #

awesome! I really like her hair styling in this festival, the messy buns are TDF

24. Aline May 26, 2013 at 03:09 #

Much to my surprise, I kinda like this. Not really the dress itself, but how well it fits her body and the way she carries it. Her styling and AMAZING hair helps her sell this look.

My only complaint is the shoes. I think she should’ve opted for red strappy sandals instead.

25. Ethan May 26, 2013 at 04:45 #

Love Nicole’s hair and make-up, also like the red shoes. She wear this look better than the model.

26. Joy May 26, 2013 at 06:54 #

I don’t know, I think it’s pretty special. The dainty cut of the dress on top is difficult to pull off, and Nicole looks amazing in it. She looks WAY better than the model. I love how she follows the braid trend but does it SO much better than everyone else. The sequins are different than we normally see as well. The dress screams Chanel and that isn’t always a good thing but on this occasion it is. And of course, the shoes are fierce! In my humble opinion this is as good as the other 3 looks. Perfection yet again.

27. Noemi May 26, 2013 at 10:16 #

She looks divine. The dress is better on her than on the runway. I love the styling, the red shoes are a great choice and the hairstyle is beautiful.

28. Ariel May 26, 2013 at 10:24 #

I love everything but the shoes. Nicole is the Cannes’ Queen!

29. ErrorFlynn May 26, 2013 at 12:02 #

Dunno why, not being a fan of Chanel, I love this. I should hate those ruffles, but I can’t. Maybe because she looks so happy and confident? And yes, her hair is amazing.

30. Zee May 26, 2013 at 12:07 #

No wonder she is wearing each and every piece better than the models who present them on the runway. Spectacular, once again.

31. Samuel May 26, 2013 at 12:33 #

I think Nicole’s hair stylist deserves an award for the work put into cannes! after seeing so much of the same bland styles its great to see some creative, interesting up do’s that really enhance her looks (admittedly minus the little side pony tale).

32. Raquel May 26, 2013 at 13:16 #

I love it! It´s more simple than her previous looks, but she looks so elegant!

33. Neli May 26, 2013 at 17:37 #

Love Chanel in Cannes! Pure class!

34. Fashion Guru May 27, 2013 at 03:06 #

A lesser individual would have been swallowed by the abject hideousness of this dress. On Nicole, it’s morphed into something chic, unusual, and even gamine. Not easy to do.

35. EmmaWoodhouse May 27, 2013 at 15:33 #

I actually like this look! The top sits a little better on the model (front view, I think, makes the difference) but I think it’s an elegant, breezy look for Nicole. She’s been doing great!