22.05.13

Sharon Stone In Roberto Cavalli – De Grisogono Party

Sharon Stone In Roberto Cavalli - De Grisogono Party

Sharon Stone dialled up the glamour a few notches following her red carpet appearance at the ‘Behind The Candelabra’ Cannes Film Festival premiere when she attended the De Grisogono Party held at the Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, France yesterday evening.

Dressed in yet another Cavalli creation, the actress showed off her toned figure wearing a red one-shoulder gown with a thigh-high slit, open back, and a cut-out detail which gives her a bit of side boob.

Adding the hosts’ de Grisogono jewels to her look, Sharon further accessorized with Jimmy Choo sandals and a gold clutch.

Some of you go back and forth on your feelings when it comes to Cavalli gowns, ranging from admiration to calls of tacky.

Where does this look rank?

Credit: Courtesy of Roberto Cavalli

Cannes Film Festival Menswear Round Up

Cannes Film Festival Menswear Round Up

Kristin Scott Thomas In Giambattista Valli - 'Only God Forgives' Cannes Film Fesitval Photocall

Kristin Scott Thomas In Giambattista Valli – ‘Only God Forgives’ Cannes Film Fesitval Photocall

47 Responses to Sharon Stone In Roberto Cavalli – De Grisogono Party

1. Alicat May 22, 2013 at 11:32 #

The blue Cavalli she wore before stayed within the bounds of good taste despite the plunging neckline, but this is way out of bounds. The clingy fabric, the exposed thigh, the cut outs and absence of any back take this well into tacky territory. And it is nothing to do with her age. I would say the same if a 25 year old wore it.

2. Rashmi May 22, 2013 at 11:35 #

It’s a ravishing red but the look seems very very dated!

3. la-karenina May 22, 2013 at 11:36 #

Taaaackyyyy!!!

• Pam May 22, 2013 at 19:54 #

My thought exactly.

4. Yeliz May 22, 2013 at 11:45 #

Tacky, trashy, cheap. This is so bad.

• Christine May 22, 2013 at 14:15 #

You can find this dress at any off brand store. Cheap.

5. TL May 22, 2013 at 11:45 #

The dress looks really tight on her, maybe should go for a size bigger….and yes, it’s tacky

• admmgz May 22, 2013 at 15:41 #

6. Blush May 22, 2013 at 11:48 #

Looks like a desperate cry for attention that is all about, “Sharon Stone’s still got it!”

• dee May 22, 2013 at 13:22 #

• kane May 22, 2013 at 15:14 #

…and 2. Tacky as hell.

7. Denise May 22, 2013 at 11:59 #

The truth is she STILL GOT IT. But she should have been more dressed than naked to prove it. Her makeup is perfect and she looks radiant though.

8. Ali May 22, 2013 at 12:21 #

I’m surprising myself by liking this. Its a difficult dress to wear and I think Sharon’s pulled it off.

• Stel May 22, 2013 at 13:55 #

+1! She’s soooo stunning!!

9. Dolly May 22, 2013 at 12:28 #

Urgh, mutton dressed as mutton. She has a great body, but there is too much flesh on show in too many places

10. Lee Ann May 22, 2013 at 12:38 #

Not my taste but she looks fabulous. I would have loved to have seen her in Dior.

11. Mel May 22, 2013 at 12:43 #

This is the dress Maggie Q wore in Mission Impossible III, back in 2006. isn’t it? If I’m not wrong I think the dress is from the spring 2005 collection.

Miss Stone has a great body but I would never pick a dress like that for her. It was better in Maggie because, in this case, the age is a big factor. I know it sounds close minded but I really don’t like that dress on her.

12. Ariel May 22, 2013 at 12:47 #

Bad try! I still wonder which one is worse: this cheap looking one or the tacky blue one. Beautiful woman, bad taste…

13. justme May 22, 2013 at 13:05 #

It reminds me of a red Cavalli gown Megan Fox wore while promoting Transformers a few years back. At least, on Megan, the dress had a draping effect and gold embellishment to make it somewhat interesting.
    The dress Sharon picked is just cheap looking :(

• justme May 22, 2013 at 13:07 #

*a better draping

14. gabis May 22, 2013 at 13:16 #

The design itself is tacky but Sharon Stone manages to make it über tacky. She has a nice body for a woman her age but that doesn’t mean she can dress like a thirty-year-old.
    Tasteless, trashy and desperate.

15. Andrea May 22, 2013 at 14:33 #

A little too much skin showing for my taste, would have been on anyone. It draws the attention from her radiant face. She looks stunning otherwise!

16. Jeremy May 22, 2013 at 14:48 #

Well, I will happily disagree with pretty much ALL of the other comments.

I actually *gasped* when I saw this, and clapped! haha.

She is serving me EVERYTHING that a genuine moviestar can: insane glamour, high sex appeal, total divatude. I am of the mind that Sharon Stone can pretty much wear whatever she wants and still look stunning – and this is no exception. I don’t understand people saying it looks cheap. If you were standing there and saw that woman standing in front of you, you’d have to pick your jaw up off the floor.

• kane May 22, 2013 at 15:17 #

Probably. But not for the right reasons.

17. TheSuperfairy May 22, 2013 at 15:00 #

These two pictures did not do Stone or the gown justice. FC why can’t you publish the back and sideboob views? See other online shots of her in this gown. She nails it. End of.

18. Moxie May 22, 2013 at 15:21 #

She is working that dress, but I’m not a fan of the cutouts and high slit.

19. TeaAtTwo May 22, 2013 at 15:46 #

This a gaudy and kind dated for me as was her other Cavalli. I like the frothy gowns like Kylie and Zhang Yuqi and the funky suits as donned by Solange and Li Yuchun.

20. Lex May 22, 2013 at 15:48 #

I’m curious about the misogyny of a lot of comments here. SS has a better body than many 20 year olds, and she has the body for this dress. Yes, it is sexy and revealing, but are post menopausal women not allowed to be sexy? They are still having sex you know. Do over 40 year old men need to cover up and wear granddad clothing? Same with their partners. Rosie WH 19 year old gap with her boyfriend is normal and acceptable whereas any similar gap with an older woman/younger man is mentioned constantly as an aberration or even a sign of a woman desperately trying to be younger.
    As though as a society we simply don’t believe any woman over 40 can be sexually attractive (or should be).
    I don’t call myself a feminist but I do think that the fashion world has a lot to answer for in terms of holding women’s progress back. Think sexualization of a very young girl aesthetic and critical destruction of any woman over 35 who dares to go for a sexy look.
    It should be the reverse.
    Since this should be a female friendly site given the subject matter let’s be the change here.

• Andrea May 22, 2013 at 16:09 #

Now we know your opinion about Sharons body, age and sexlife. But what do you think about her dress and styling?

• Lex May 22, 2013 at 16:25 #

Personally I think that 90% of the Cannes dresses are awful and this one is not much better. I do think that if Fan BB or Carey M wore it then the comments would be more positive and certainly no age related comments. My point is that the comments saying she is too old for this dress are sad.

• justme May 22, 2013 at 16:31 #

Misogyny =/= ageism.
      Most of the commenters didn’t criticize Sharon’s age or body. She actually got compliments on the latter (because even Stevie Wonder knows the woman is a knockout lol).
      We have a problem with the dress/the designer, not the wearer.

And there’s nothing wrong with calling yourself a feminist :D

• kane May 22, 2013 at 22:13 #

Well said.

The equation of the more revealing a dress the sexier it is doesn’t work for me. I’ve just had a look through the Getty pictures and the whole outfit seemed so much better and even sexier when she had that black jacket on (there aren’t any good pics of it, so I have to guess)–however, not because it covers up more over her (in fact well!) aged body (plastic surgery is a different matter though), but because it leaves something to be imagined. I personally find this sexier than having everything out in the open and that in fact is true for me for women of all ages.

• Ariel May 22, 2013 at 17:14 #

Lex, exactly because we value Sharon ageless beauty, we are so demanding regarding her style. I personally, prefer honesty to the hypocrite and indulgent praise (a misunderstood political correctness), which I have seen here towards other post-40 yo celebrities, like Celine Dion, for example. It s like: “Oh, she is 40/50/60 yo, and still not looking too awkward, so we ll forgive her the bad taste!”.

• Ariel May 22, 2013 at 17:16 #

* awful, not awkward

21. Marybeth May 22, 2013 at 15:52 #

I agree with Alicat (above) that this gown would look vulgar even on a 25 yr old. The combination of a shiny fabric, a bright color, and flesh exposure is way OTT.

22. Petra May 22, 2013 at 16:00 #

I’m not a fan of Cavalli’s gowns and I would normally say that this is just tacky, but I find myself totally enamoured ! She looks drop dead gorgeous!

23. Liz May 22, 2013 at 16:16 #

She’s ageless. Absolutely gorgeous on her, but tacky on anyone else.

24. Kat May 22, 2013 at 16:49 #

She, personally, looks great, but that dress is BEYOND tacky.

25. Rebecca Z May 22, 2013 at 16:55 #

Fascinating posts on this one. I think she looks spectacular. Yes, the gown is over the top sexy, but by god she pulls it off. Sharon Stone is capable of looking truly dreadful on the red carpet and looking just amazing, and her two looks at Cannes so far are in the latter category. Not many women in their 50s could wear this gown, but then not many women in their 20s could either. It recalls a somewhat different era that Sharon Stone was smack in the middle of a couple of decades ago.

There are valid debates to be had on whether the liberation of women was really meant to increase our freedom to appear as sexual objects or not, but Lex is correct that women Sharon’s age and my age(she is younger than I am by a few years)continue to be sexual beings. We like showing it off sometimes when we have the bodies for it. You go, Sharon!

• Marybeth May 22, 2013 at 19:06 #

I like your comment.
      I disagree with it on almost all counts (!) but it’s well-stated and intelligent.

I think we all may differ on what “sexiness” is. For me, it’s not a simple matter of flashiness or exposing body parts. There are physical factors such as beauty, fitness, posture, artistry of styling, and the like. There may (or may not) be some brazenness to add spice. But there are also intangible factors such as expression, attitude, and personality.

I sometimes show my husband photos from this site. Do you know which recent one sent his “turned-on” signals soaring? Not Sharon Stone in her loud and skimpy garb. It was Zoe Saldana in that black Lanvin at the Weinstein party. No cleavage, no cut-outs, no sequins, no brass, not even her glorious legs showing much. Hot. And even my teenage son agreed.

Sexiness is a broad and complex thing. To reduce it to loud signals like nudity and flash actually diminishes it. IMO.

26. Fabiola May 22, 2013 at 18:43 #

I love it! she is gorgeous and looks very very sexy on this dress.

27. Prudence May 23, 2013 at 01:11 #

okay, so this dress has been done and re done and done again by pretty much every single label. Dress aside, this woman is approaching 60 and she look SEXY AF so why not show off this amazing body. This is Sharon Stone guys, she will always sex it up and I had grown to love it.

28. Reez May 23, 2013 at 03:51 #

tacky on younger women, sexy on Sharon

29. Reez May 23, 2013 at 03:52 #

tacky for younger women, sexy on Sharon

30. EmmaWoodhouse May 23, 2013 at 05:08 #

This is a tacky trashy dress. She can do better. This looks very cheap.

31. Flavia Style Source May 23, 2013 at 19:22 #

Sharon Stone wants to surprise again! Fine! She could have done it in other dress… The color is not her best ally this time, she is a cool skin/eyes/hair context.

The dress itself is way too open at the back and the legs. It is a very basic law of elegance – I would say it a common sense law, and a harmonic law: when you discover a part, you must cover some other part. It is not the grandma’s law is a law of volumes, harmony, balance of unity between the outfit and the wearer.

32. sara May 23, 2013 at 21:23 #

With regard to the comments about age, I personally think that we’re more forgiving with the fashion decisions made by a young woman coming in to her own style and exploring fashion and sexuality. I think, at least for me, that I expect more from a woman who has been around the fashion block for some time to nail down what is a good mixture of sexy and elegant and graceful. I feel the same way about Heidi. SS is definitely in better shape than many young women I see on this blog or on the street and is a timeless beauty, but that doesn’t mean that people should appreciate her choice in a tacky gown.