22.05.13 Premiere

Jessica Chastain In Givenchy Couture - ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Jessica Chastain blew me away for the second time today while attending the ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival premiere held at the Palais des Festivals in France in this evening.

At this point I have forgotten all about the absence of Nicole Kidman, as a worthy red carpet Cannes queen has taken her place.

The actress wore her second custom Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci gown in a row, going from soft and ethereal to making a huge statement in this purple embellished gown.

JLo and Beyonce are kicking themselves that they didn’t get their hands on this gown.

The elaborate embellishment decorating this dress is something we easily associate with those singers, so while this look is a shock for Jessica, it is a welcome one. Just what this event needed to shake it out of its sleepy slumber.

With so much bedazzlement, Elizabeth Taylor’s Bulgari jewels were kept in the vault tonight.

Credit: Getty

Petra Nemcova In Elie Saab Couture - ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Petra Nemcova In Elie Saab Couture – ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Milla Jovovich In Armani - ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Milla Jovovich In Armani – ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

72 Responses to Jessica Chastain In Givenchy Couture – ‘All Is Lost’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Leo May 22, 2013 at 19:11 #

Givenchy has been giving us some of the most terrible gowns ever but wow how to turn it all around. Gorgeous dress, now this is what Beyoncé should’ve worn to the MET gala. Jessica really got it right. Two great looks for her from Cannes now, the Versace was outstanding but this is a close second.

2. amanda May 22, 2013 at 19:12 #

She looks breathtaking! Wow!

3. Amanda May 22, 2013 at 19:12 #

This is the first time I truly think she looks good.

4. Yeliz May 22, 2013 at 19:12 #

Stunningly beautiful again. It’s good that she didn’t overpower her look with jewels, all those embellishments on the gown are really enough. Hair and makeup are nice. Overall, I prefer her other simple, sleek Givenchy gown though.

• Marybeth May 22, 2013 at 19:25 #

5. Anne May 22, 2013 at 19:12 #

THUD! That is the sound of my jaw hitting the floor. When you have such a stunning dress and a face like that, nothing more need be done. Perfection personified

• Yiota May 22, 2013 at 19:20 #

• Fiona-Brasil May 22, 2013 at 19:48 #

• GGG May 22, 2013 at 20:17 #

+3 – she is truly perfect and talented on top of her beauty.. talk about winning the genetic lottery! :)

• Nat39 May 22, 2013 at 20:23 #

Ditto.

• Rita May 22, 2013 at 20:48 #

Agreed

6. Elise May 22, 2013 at 19:15 #

The color is amazing on her , but after checking the rest of the photos @ Getty, IMO the dress is unflattering, the hips look bigger than they actually are.

• gabis May 22, 2013 at 19:33 #

I agree. It also feels quite incomplete to me like something is missing. Maybe if she had opted for some luscious waves instead of this casual messy ponytail I would’ve felt different about the overall look.

7. Moxie May 22, 2013 at 19:16 #

The dress is perfection, but I wish she’d done something different with her hair. It looks like she’s pulled her hair back into a messy ponytail to go to the gym.

• Prudence May 22, 2013 at 19:22 #

+1 ! this dress is spectacular, how did beyonce not get her hands on this for the met??? HOWEVER, her disastrous hair is completely killing this look for me. WHO IS HER HAIR STYLIST CAUSE SOME FIRING NEEDS TO BE DONE!! Do combs not exist over there because how else do you explain that awful hair! UGH, this is killing me because this could have been the best moment at cannes but I cannot forgive that terribly messy hair.

• Maria Jose de Rivas May 25, 2013 at 01:38 #

Can we please stop with the heavy insulting comments and firing of people? This is not a gossip page nor a slander low class blog. Have some class.

• CreoleLady May 22, 2013 at 19:28 #

Agree, although I’m not quite at the DEFCON 1 level with Prudence, lol (jk). Put me at DEFCON 4. Gonna forgive the hair because I have long thought that redheads should wear more purple. And boy, is she wearing this luscious color! Swooning over this look.

• Marybeth May 22, 2013 at 19:37 #

Yes, the hair is a let down.
      I wish she had worn her hair up with the Versace — not messy like this, but up. And I wish she had done the glorious red waves with this gown.

• Prudence May 22, 2013 at 19:55 #

I think you guys should visit getty to truly understand how incredibly terrible her hair is. It is literally sticking out on the top like she has just gotten out of bed. This is simply not forgivable. In addition, on closer inspection her makeup is rather terrible as well.I swear, her glam squad was out to ruin her. Because everything above the neck is so incredibly messy, this simple cannot be a BDOTW and for sure not even a contender on BDOTY.

• Quinn May 22, 2013 at 20:24 #

I understand your frustration. I went on getty and saw that. The messy ponytails and the barely there makeup is not working for this spectacular gown. What a shame because the dress looks great on her figure. If only she puts a little effort in the styling, this would’ve been a big hit. *sigh*

• Nat May 23, 2013 at 15:34 #

Her hair killed the look for me also a pair of small earrings.

8. Nat39 May 22, 2013 at 19:16 #

Finally somebody woke me up!! Striking, dazzling, the deep colour is gorgeous agaist her fair complexion, the gown shows off her curves amazingly, and her simple styling allows the gown to speak for itself, this is impressive look for Jessica, LOVE.

• Nat39 May 22, 2013 at 20:02 #

checked out other images..noticed the slit and the beautiful matching sandals showing. Now loving it even more.

• Pablo May 22, 2013 at 21:16 #

+1 on both comments!

• Andrea May 23, 2013 at 21:47 #

Agree, well said. She is so beautiful! And I also really like the contrast of the simple styling and the sparkling colourful dress.

9. sara May 22, 2013 at 19:31 #

This gown is AMAZING! She looks gorgeous. But as I loveeee uber glam, I wish she had some jewels on, even just earrings would have added to the effect.

• Tem May 22, 2013 at 19:35 #

+1 Would’ve loved earrings or a simple bracelet… And her hair is good simple but needed a little perfecting.

10. JGH May 22, 2013 at 19:39 #

This is a contender for BDOTY. Wow.

11. Sophie May 22, 2013 at 19:43 #

Am I the only who isn’t floored by this look? I think it makes her look way bigger than she is (look at the hips!) and the hair is just blah…

• Henrique May 22, 2013 at 19:49 #

No, you’re not the only one. The only thing I really like here is the purple against her skin tone.

• crack May 22, 2013 at 20:36 #

Came here to say exactly what Sophie and Henrique have written…Terrible hair and makes her look wide at hips

• crack May 22, 2013 at 20:36 #

• Lisa May 22, 2013 at 20:49 #

• dee May 22, 2013 at 19:58 #

I am in agreement. The color is amazing. But the dress is not flattering on her lower half. The hair is too plain.

• Ariel May 22, 2013 at 20:26 #

While I like the color of the dress, I dislike the top: it s like a sports one. The dress makes her shoulders and hips look so wide… Poor, if any, styling. I like only the hair.

• Ariel May 22, 2013 at 20:29 #

I meant, I like the idea of a pony tail but not this messy performance of it :)

• Lashae May 22, 2013 at 22:22 #

Totally agree with everything you said.

12. Ash May 22, 2013 at 19:50 #

Wow never seen her in this color before!! I don’t like the dress THAT much but I think Jessica looks good in it, and her hair is perfection!!

13. Neli May 22, 2013 at 19:55 #

Stunning!! OMG!! She looks gorgeous! LOVE IT!!

14. kane May 22, 2013 at 19:57 #

Nice one (minus the hair), but I’m not wowed and it certainly doesn’t hold a candle to the white Givenchy earlier today imho.

• Denise May 22, 2013 at 20:38 #

+1. The colour is beautiful but there is something incomplete and unpolished about the whole look.

15. Ally May 22, 2013 at 19:57 #

She looks incredible! My first thought was, wow, that must be so heavy to wear..!

16. Rebecca Z May 22, 2013 at 20:03 #

I prefer the white Givenchy. This is a beautiful dress but I agree that it does not flatter her shape. I don’t mind the hair–though I agree that it could have been more glamorous

• admmgz May 23, 2013 at 03:00 #

17. irina May 22, 2013 at 20:05 #

OMG! SHe looks incredibly beautiful…well she is but that dress is amazing!! FInally a great moment in Cannes!

18. Jennifer May 22, 2013 at 20:06 #

BEST Cannes look so far. Blown away!

19. Joy May 22, 2013 at 20:07 #

This has been the most boring Cannes I can remember. But finally, here’s a dress I can get excited about! Could this color look better with her hair? I don’t think so. This dress is perfect for her. Loving the heavy embellishments, it makes it a little different. BDOTD for sure.

20. Jai May 22, 2013 at 20:08 #

I find the dress unflattering and I hate purple so I’m bias against it.

21. Noemi May 22, 2013 at 20:09 #

Really amazing, the color is gorgeous, the embellishment incredible, but the hairstyle is too messy.

22. Kate May 22, 2013 at 20:16 #

Love the dress and she looks stunning as always, what a beautiful woman she is. Part of me wishes she did something a bit more exciting with the hair and make-up though!

23. justme May 22, 2013 at 20:18 #

I don’t think white suits her complexion (it washes her out) so I’m very thankful that she finally wore a strong colour.
    That being said, like others have mentioned, the gown isn’t too flattering and the messy ponytail is a letdown.
    This is a step in the right direction though so I still have high hopes for Jessica at Cannes :)

24. fromchi-town May 22, 2013 at 21:42 #

Neck down, she is fabulous. That color is so delicious on her… I absolutely love it. I don’t know if her hips look wider and waist looks smaller… but it gives her a great hour glass shape. But neck up it looks so unfinished. That hair is really bad and she looks incomplete… maybe she needed some earrings.

25. Saosao May 22, 2013 at 21:54 #

O.o wow!! Jessica is stunning here, this gown is gorgeous!

26. isik5 May 22, 2013 at 22:01 #

The embellishments on the dress are way too much and makes her hips wider but I adore the color!!

27. Summer's here May 22, 2013 at 22:32 #

I think she looks absolutely and totally magnificent and I like the hair too. She looks best when wearing bright colors. She’s so beautiful but some of the white and nude colors she’s chosen in the past have been disapointing. This is the best dress I’ve seen from Cannes.

28. CreoleLady May 22, 2013 at 22:47 #

Came back to take another look and noticed the additional pictures FC posted (thank you!). The messy pony is growing on me, it relaxes/lightens the look. This dress gives her a tiny waist and her shoulders are not too narrow, resulting in a balanced Jessica R hourglass that I envy. J’adore.

• Catherine Kallon May 23, 2013 at 01:48 #

I actually love the messy ponytail.

29. Sara May 22, 2013 at 23:49 #

She look fabulous in the dress, but I wish her hair weren’t such a mess.

30. YDavis May 22, 2013 at 23:53 #

I agree the color is stunning, but overall this strikes me as poorly-done. The beading on this just subconsciously points out odd things, that once seen cannot be unseen.

1) giant circles over the knee caps to point out ‘here are my knees’

2) half-moons over her hip bones to point out the width of her hips

3) worst offender is the giant arrow pointing from the hem straight to her crotch. Really?

So many of these overdone beaded gowns have beading strategically placed badly, and this is a sorry example of it.

If it had been just the beaded top half, with a skirt of flowing purple satin or flowing chiffon with a little train – yes. But this beading pattern is just atrocious.

• KatieKate May 23, 2013 at 03:34 #

OMG! That arrow to the crotch observation made me lol! Had not noticed, but like you said, now I can’t see anything else!

31. MaddyEliza May 23, 2013 at 01:20 #

Wow. I am in awe. I LOVE this!!! So beautiful, so stunning, so Cannes-worthy!!!!! Oh my goodness I am SO glad Jessica showed up…three incredible looks in a row!! This is DEFINITELY a BDOTD contender if not THE BDOTD!! Sooo gorgeous!!

32. k6wing May 23, 2013 at 03:21 #

This gown makes her hip look a bit too wide, no? But her face is stunning xo

33. Christine May 23, 2013 at 03:27 #

Not feeling it that much But she looks beautiful.

34. Jess2 May 23, 2013 at 12:02 #

WOW, just WOW! I am so stunned by this. I’m so glad Jessica is back on the red carpet. J’adore!

35. Wisanlaya May 23, 2013 at 14:46 #

She looks great on this dress the purple is vivid and texture design quite fabulous but messy ponytail hair isn’t suite for the majestic dress and need some accessory like diamond earing will make the look not too plain.

36. Flavia Style Source May 23, 2013 at 19:18 #

Dress too precious, on a fitted body variation. Hair not done for that over the top, expensive dress. Where was her hair dresser? In vacation?
    The color of the dress would have been interesting for her skin context and hair if the dress would have been the same color but a fine silk without so much sequins work. Dress not suited for her personal style, does not reveal enough harmony between the dress and the wearer.

37. EmmaWoodhouse May 23, 2013 at 20:37 #

Beautiful color, beautiful bead work, perfect fit. The slit goes high but not TOO high, and her simple styling (including the messy pony) works great. The color is divine on her. This is definitely a BDOTD contender.

38. Valeria May 24, 2013 at 12:20 #

She looks great, but I think something more delicate would suit her better. And I am really missing some turqoise earrings, those would seal the look for me

39. jake nevins May 25, 2013 at 14:32 #

BEST DRESSED OF THE WEEK, POSSIBLY YEAR. The detailing on this dress is exquisite and the juxtaposition of the dress color with her fire red hair is stunning. I’m in awe. BDOTY.

40. Sandra Costa June 2, 2013 at 00:39 #

she’s stunning. as always, btw.

❤ xO!

41. Elisa September 16, 2014 at 21:41 #

There is a lot missing in this look. Jessica Chastain has no body for this dress. Sorry. The top part doesn’t fit well in her chest and the hair and makeup are too light. She looks like someone who had just pulled her hair up for dusting and then put the dress on and ran to the red carpet. But normally she looks great in her choices.

42. Bailey October 8, 2014 at 23:14 #

There is no colour that doesn’t look fantastic on Jessica..she can pull off anything..however this dress looks like armor and im surprised she’s not being weighed down