21.05.13 Premiere

Aishwarya Rai In Gucci Première – ‘Cleopatra’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Aishwarya Rai In Armani Privé -  ‘Cleopatra’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Along with Liya Kebebe, Aishwarya Rai has been one of the most consistent stars during Cannes Film Festival.

At the ‘Cleopatra’ premiere she hit a home run in the fashion ball park again tonight, wearing a Gucci Première gown.

I love the contrasting textures of her deep teal one shoulder silk gown featuring a pleated fitted bodice and dramatic train. Even though it’s her second fall-like hue, it looks divine against her skin tone.

Many of you have complained about her beautiful hair competing with the gown for the last two looks, so on this occasion she swept that mane up into a high top-knot with a hot shade of fuchsia pink applied to her lips.

A black satin Gucci Broadway clutch with a jeweled clasp completed her look.

Of all Aishwarya’s three looks, where does this one rank?

Credit: Getty

Jennifer Lopez In Fay - Dorchester Hotel

Jennifer Lopez In Fay – Dorchester Hotel

Kylie Minogue In Roberto Cavalli - ‘Les Salauds’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Kylie Minogue In Roberto Cavalli – ‘Les Salauds’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

62 Responses to Aishwarya Rai In Gucci Première – ‘Cleopatra’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Yeliz May 21, 2013 at 20:27 #

She looks fascinating, absolutely delightful. I love how the satin fabric flows on her figure. The pink lip colour is a gorgeous contrast. The clutch could’ve been more interesting, but that’s my only nitpick. Love this look.

2. orion May 21, 2013 at 20:27 #

Time and time again i have been rooting for aishwarya, and i was super delighted to see her triumphant return in the black elie saab. The second look was also very elegant, it was indian but very chic…im loving this look, the make the colour of the gown..but y the hair…yes she can pull back her hair but not like this..the stylist shud NOT complicate her looks!

3. Nat39 May 21, 2013 at 20:27 #

This look is easily the best of the 3. The gown works so wonderfully on her womanly figure, she looks statuesque, the colour is gorgeous on her, love her styling – the polished updo, the beautiful makeup, glad she didn’t overwhelm the look with jewels and opted for simple diamond earrings, she looks divine.

• Nat39 May 21, 2013 at 22:30 #

If I compare all 3 looks, I love how this one feels so light and soft whereas her other two felt way too heavy and overwhelming. She def. nailed it with this one.

4. Moxie May 21, 2013 at 20:28 #

Gorgeous color. I’m glad she wore her hair up, but I’m not a fan of topknots.

My preferences, in order:
    1. Elie Saab
    2. Gucci Premiere
    3. Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla

5. LEI May 21, 2013 at 20:30 #

Not a fan of her look.

6. Sal(SS) May 21, 2013 at 20:31 #

No words. She’s a goddess. The fuchsia with the sea-blue is just divine.

7. Iris May 21, 2013 at 20:38 #

I want to like this look, I really do. I know, FC, you think her own people are often the most uncharitable with their comments on her. I think it’s because we recall her from her glory days and then everything in the past couple of years falls short. I guess that’s why she has a much better audience in the West, or with people relatively less familiar with her graph..
    Now this dress: The colour’s lovely and the pink lips are gorgeous. But I don’t find the silhouette flattering at all: it emphasises her not-too-waif-ish waistline and less-than-toned arms. Still, I think it’s the best of her three appearances so far.

• Noemi May 21, 2013 at 21:26 #

I agree with you, I only like the color of the dress but the fit is bad (look at the right armhole). The hairstyle is very unflattering.

• Anjali May 21, 2013 at 21:28 #

I’ve also noticed.I am Indian, but Indians are the most judgmental people and especially against their own! Every celebrity in the world has fashion faux pas every now and then. Isn’t fashion about taking risks? Some work, some don’t it’s not the end of the world. People are still hung over about her early Cannes looks like 2002 & 2003, but that was when she first started attending & in these past 12 yrs she’s improved by heaps & bounds. It’s unfair to hold those very early fashion faux pas against her. It’s 2013, people should move on.

• orion May 21, 2013 at 22:09 #

finally someone thats talking sense…the command aishwarya has over fashion, no other bollywood stars do!!!!

• Noemi May 22, 2013 at 11:45 #

I understand what you mean, but there’s a difference between taking fashion risks adn dress badly or in unflattering way. I personally don’t like the choices she’s making this year. At the end of the day, these women earn lots of money to act and walk on red carpets, as long as we don’t use offensive words I think it’s ok.

• Shailendra May 22, 2013 at 21:41 #

yes Anjali You Are Right…

8. fromchi-town May 21, 2013 at 20:38 #

I think she looks fabulous. That color is gorgeous on her and the pink lippie is the perfect touch.

My faves in order:
    1 – Elie Saab
    2 – Gucci Premiere
    3 – Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla

• MissCru May 22, 2013 at 02:03 #

Totally agree.

9. dee May 21, 2013 at 20:43 #

The color is gorgeous on her. The hair and makeup are fantastic. The gown itself is just so-so. Not really doing it for me.

• Christine May 22, 2013 at 05:13 #

10. Aline May 21, 2013 at 20:48 #

The dress is beautiful, but not as figure flattering as the previous two. I love the contrast with the pink lipstick. But what really makes me not like this look is her hair. She should’ve gone for a different style of updo ’cause this one doesn’t work. Her locks are too heavy for that style. I know she’s already worn her hair down 2 times but I wouldn’t have minded a third.

• Nat39 May 21, 2013 at 20:56 #

Funny, my reaction is opposite…this is easily the most figure-flattering look of the 3 – the soft flow of the fabric is giving her a statuesque silhouette. The other 2 weren’t nearly as flattering (her Abu Jani in particular was pretty bad on her figure) and if anything they were too stiff and widening.

• Appolonia May 21, 2013 at 22:04 #

statuesque in a Botero-ish kind of way… She is slightly overweight for this dress and her arms need some tone.

• Nat39 May 22, 2013 at 01:06 #

I think there is a major overreaction going on here, I don’t see a woman that overweight here. A lot heavier women got praised wearing gowns not nearly as flattering. I’m baffled, what’s happening here. This gown is a wonderful compliment to her womanly figure.

• Catherine Kallon May 22, 2013 at 01:25 #

Appolonia, she is far from being overweight…if you can’t keep your comment fashion related you will be banned from commenting further

• DSI May 22, 2013 at 04:07 #

You will “ban” people for just passing one silly comment? Isnt this a friendly forum for all of us? Not tyranny,i suppose! There has been a whole hog of talk regarding Ash’s weight issues all over the internet and fashion world. Someone mentioning that here,that too–not in any abusive sense–(“slightly overwieght for this…”),is not a crime or derogatory from any angle. if you dont entertain such “non-fashion” related comments,u could just give a friendly warning rather than threaten to “ban” people. Just a more tolerant thought. Hope RCFA continues to hold its credibility in fashion world being neutral and critical–and not biased towards certain celebrities all the while.

• nice May 22, 2013 at 08:23 #

RCFA, love the civilization you’re based on and are and have been a leader in. thank you and thank you for the fashion.

• Noemi May 22, 2013 at 11:56 #

I don’t understand why overweight is a bad word while I often read comments describing beautiful women as anorexic, because they’re thin.

• Catherine Kallon May 22, 2013 at 15:52 #

I don’t condone either.

• Aline May 22, 2013 at 04:01 #

Hey Nat39,
        I don’t think it’s a flattering dress because the draping detail pulls weirdly in the front; and I also think the attempt of going for a tunic-like style over the structured bodice wasn’t successful as well. Because it makes her breasts look bigger than they are, and on the side it looks kinda frumpy. I still am very much enamoured by the color, though, it’s perfect for her skintone. And even though I have some restrictions on the dress, it’s far from being a bad look. It’s just my least favorite of the 3.

The Elie Saab one is so far my favorite. I think it hugs her body in all the right places. Plus, I loved her styling. That look is def on my BDOTY list.

But it’s always fun to see how fashion brings so many different opinions xD

• Nat39 May 22, 2013 at 20:33 #

11. Amanda May 21, 2013 at 20:53 #

I like this one the best. The colour of the dress, the understated jewellery, and the fuschia lips are outstanding.

12. GiGi May 21, 2013 at 20:56 #

Love the color of the dress, but not the fabric. Ironically, I think this is the one dress with which she should have worn her hair down. The dress is simple and the hair would not over-complicate or hide things as it did with (especially) the Saab.

13. minty May 21, 2013 at 21:06 #

love ! love! love!

14. Marybeth May 21, 2013 at 21:10 #

This is a stunning, Cannes-worthy look. I love the way she styled this with just a bit of sparkle at the ears. The bright, shiny fabric provides all the flash needed.

• Andrea May 22, 2013 at 14:36 #

15. sara May 21, 2013 at 21:10 #

I think she looks stunning. I’ve had conversations with many people about her changed figure who are hyper-critical. I understand that certain fabrics and silhouettes suit certain figures better than others- but for me, she carries herself with such elegance and beauty that she has looked amazing to me at all sizes. People seem to think that having access to wealth and fashion means that one must be a zoe saldana (who is also gorg), but maybe after so many years of competing in cut-throat bollywood, hollywood, media and pageants, she is finally content enjoying life with her husband and child without worrying about every bite of food. Not all women can or want to drop baby weight as quickly as a Victoria’s Secret model. Just a thought. Oh yea, and I love the lips!

• Lola May 21, 2013 at 21:15 #

+1 well said. We are too critical and we need to be reminded that beauty comes in many packages. Thank you!

• Moxie May 21, 2013 at 22:06 #

16. Amy May 21, 2013 at 22:14 #

Ash is the queen. Everybody needs to get off her back. She looks regal and the pink lip gets a thumb up. Genius.

17. Rebecca Z May 21, 2013 at 22:16 #

I really like the dress on her, but her hair is making her look old and bigger than she is. She needed a frame for her shoulders and the lower part of her face. A high ponytail or messy updo would have done wonders for bringing some youth into this look.

18. Alex May 21, 2013 at 22:16 #

I love the dress and the lip colour is sensational.
    She looks divine.

19. Prudence May 21, 2013 at 22:22 #

her makeup is the best it has been so far, the top knot is little too high up but this dress is not my favorite. I adore the color against her skin but the dress is slightly awkward.

20. Shiva May 21, 2013 at 22:36 #

the more I see it, the more I love the fuchsia lip color against Ash’s skin with the deep brown hair and luscious teal, all so silky and gorgeous.

I do however believe that the gown could’ve been built better inside like how Tadashi Shoji does for Octavia Spencer or Zac did for Uma at the Met Ball. But then again, that could be my own limited idea of body aesthetics.

21. JJJ May 21, 2013 at 23:15 #

Reminds me of Kate Winslet’s YSL gown at the 2009 Academy Awards: http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2009/02/23/2009-oscars-worst-dressed/

22. kane May 21, 2013 at 23:46 #

This is a very close second to the Elie Saab. I’m not feeling the hair and it bothers me a little that the silk is a bit flabby on the left side… She looks so stunning, though, that this is easy to forget!

23. Sarah May 22, 2013 at 00:07 #

Love this look.. so regal!

24. Sharon May 22, 2013 at 00:15 #

Absolutely lovely.

25. Zing May 22, 2013 at 00:18 #

Classy!!!!! Let us for once stop looking at her weight n enjoy d class n beauty she oozes out hea….colour’s perfect, fabric’s gud enuf, styling is very regal. Where do u find flaws here????? She looks every bit of a red carpet glam queen. Make someone stand beside her…..m sure she’l grab max eyeballs!!!!

26. MaddyEliza May 22, 2013 at 00:56 #

WOW. This is SO Cannes-worthy!! Love love love. Definitely a BDOTD contender. One of the best parts of this look is that bright pink lip…it’s so fun!! :) This is a stunning look.

27. Alicat May 22, 2013 at 02:55 #

What a gorgeous colour and perfectly highlighted by the pink lip colour. I like the construction of the gown, but the choice of fabric is the problem. The bodice fits beautifully, but the nature of shiny satin makes it difficult to wear as the shine reflects everything, unot always highlighting what we want it to! That is why I feel this gown is unflattering around the hips and thighs.

28. olala May 22, 2013 at 04:09 #

An otherwise ordinary gown and style. Works only because of her immense personality, and still be counted among the BDOTW!

29. smruthi May 22, 2013 at 06:27 #

She looks lovely here but could have looked much much better with side swept hair. This gown didnt need an updo. The Elie Saab deserved an updo for sure.

And now when I am thinking abt it, if she sould go without the sleeves for this one, then why the hell did she get the Elie Saab gown modified with cap sleeves ??? The run way version was much much better.

• FC310 May 22, 2013 at 07:11 #

30. ash May 22, 2013 at 07:22 #

the colors are such a breath of fresh air on aishwariya…she looks great..yes the topknot is a bit severe but i think it kind of goes with the look….she is elegant and carries herself well…her best quality is i think

31. Ariel May 22, 2013 at 10:21 #

NO. Harsh colors of the dress and lipstick, harsh dress structure (BTW do we see a nipple on one of the close-ups?), harsh hairdo.

Her face and especially eyes are amazing!

32. Rashmi May 22, 2013 at 10:50 #

Things that I was wishing from her after her last appearances:
    1. Her curvaceous figure flattering dress
    2. Hair tied up
    3. Some bright color!

Voila, I got all the three in one go! Loved this look of her from h2t (The top knot was a bit more serious, but I wont be nitpicking this time)

However, the most captivating part of the look was the amazing fushsia pink lipcolor! I WANT THAT ASAP!

33. TeaAtTwo May 22, 2013 at 10:58 #

I’ve enjoyed all three of her gowns. She looks beautiful here, I love the colour and I think her figure looks wonderful. I’m glad she’s put her lovely locks up though. L’oreal are getting their monies worth as she’s showcased 3 beautiful make-up looks.

34. Nerita May 22, 2013 at 11:50 #

Aishwarya Rae in her blue outfit, makeup and her superb style is just not commendable. Indeed, she is admirable in this picture

35. EmmaWoodhouse May 22, 2013 at 12:43 #

This is beautiful! The fall of the shoulder strap beneath her arm is the only thing putting me off, it’s a bit wrinkled. Otherwise this is beautiful, gorgeous, serene, and BDOTD-worthy. Note…I’m a little confused by some of the hints at criticism. This woman has a gorgeous figure.

36. Rahul May 22, 2013 at 16:25 #

Fabulous! This is simple, edgy, sophisticated, elegant, beautiful – all at the same time!
    She’ll be wearing Indian tomorrow at the amFAR gala and I hope she shuts it down and ends her so-far-fantastic Cannes run on a great note!

37. Liz May 22, 2013 at 17:02 #

I love this color on her!

38. Nish May 22, 2013 at 19:57 #

She looks absolutely gorgeous. The teal colour and her contrasting lip colour work so well on her. A lot of people don’t like her updo (too complicated?). I say, the updo makes her look more statuesque. Elongates her neck and actually makes her look slimmer. The dress shape also works to give a slimming effect. Some of her other outfits tended to make her look bigger and she still managed to pull them off with oomph. So what if her arms are not toned? So what if she is not a size zero? At least, she isn’t having wardrobe malfunctions like other celebrities. She is grace and poise personnified.

39. SARA May 23, 2013 at 17:30 #

Aishwarya z d most ravishing woman any 1 ever seen…..super FASHIONABLE N ABSOLUTELY DIVA…..LOV U ASHH.

40. Flavia Style Source May 23, 2013 at 19:10 #

She’s got weight. The dress is fabulous but not on her figure variations, it does compliment and camouflage enough. However, the teal color of the dress looks beautiful on her, shows well her eyes and glowing face.