Aishwarya Rai In Elie Saab Couture - 'Inside Llewyn Davis' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Aishwarya Rai made her first appearance during Cannes Film Festival this evening for the ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ premiere, as the beautiful face for L’Oreal.

The Bollywood beauty looked divine wearing an Elie Saab Spring 2013 Couture gown.

Was this one on your wish list?

Her black lace-print gown with shimmering sequined lace embroidery is one of her best Cannes looks to date.

I don’t know how, but she manages to outdo herself each year at this event.

The gown, which has been modified slightly to provide coverage on her arms, was styled with a black clutch and gold jewels.

Makeup-wise — perfection as always. Welcome back Aishwarya Rai.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jessica Biel In Marchesa - 'Inside Llewyn Davis' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Jessica Biel In Marchesa – ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Carey Mulligan In Vionnet - 'Inside Llewyn Davis' Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Carey Mulligan In Vionnet – ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

71 Responses to Aishwarya Rai In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Inside Llewyn Davis’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Francesca May 19, 2013 at 18:36 #

Sensational dress! I’m in love.

• jason May 19, 2013 at 20:05 #

Aishwarya Rai makes Ellie Saab Dresses TALK… She with her Red Carpet Sense makes Every moment memorable and the most imp thing that the other people forget to do on red carpet is that she SMILES!!! A LOT!! Which is lovely

• jason May 19, 2013 at 20:17 #

OUTSTANDING!! Thats the Word… She is Definitely the best dressed of the Day!!

and you are so Right about, “I don’t know how, but she manages to outdo herself each year at this event.!!!”

2. Pablo May 19, 2013 at 18:38 #

Love the gown (and the slight modification) but I with she’d worn her hair up. There is so much lost behind those L’Oreal locks.

• GiGi May 19, 2013 at 20:06 #

+ 1 Couldn’t agree more about the hair.

• Alicat May 20, 2013 at 01:04 #

+2 yes. Her dark tresses are merging with the beautiful shoulder detailing.

• Ariel May 20, 2013 at 09:53 #

+ 3

• dee May 20, 2013 at 13:39 #

3. Rashmi May 19, 2013 at 18:40 #

Yes yes yes.. This was on my wishlist (since the fashion week) !!! Now I know FC, how It feels when it comes true :)

She looks stunning! In love with this look and it really is her best till date!

• Catherine Kallon May 19, 2013 at 18:58 #

amazing right ;)

• jason May 19, 2013 at 20:03 #

yes mine too and this Godsend Woman is so worth it!

4. laure May 19, 2013 at 18:40 #

she looks absolutely stunning! its a typical beautiful elie saab gown but on her it looks simply amazing. She is so beautiful

• Fiona-Brasil May 19, 2013 at 21:50 #

5. Alina May 19, 2013 at 18:41 #

Wow! This is so dark and mysterious. Love it!

6. Yeliz May 19, 2013 at 18:41 #

When I saw this gown on the runway I thought that the hair must be pulled back, but Aishwarya’s tresses does look beautiful with this look. Love the modified version on her, stunning as expected.

7. Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 18:42 #

Her hair is so pretty but how I wish she´d pulled it back, it interferes with all the intrictae detailing, her makeup is so gorgeous, and I´d go with the silver jewels here instead of gold. It´s a gorgeous look for her overall.

• DSI May 19, 2013 at 18:46 #

Jewels–well,i wish she had showcased some earrings at least. She never removes that one gold bangle and v shaped ring. So essentially this is a no-jewelry look!

• smruthi May 19, 2013 at 18:51 #

Thats her wedding band which her mother-in-law gifted. She will never remove it.

• Nat39 May 19, 2013 at 19:10 #

Well, yeah, not much visibly standout jewellery there, you are right, but that bangle really bothers me (and I think that clutch frame also gold).
        I also wouldn´t mind a subtle touch of colour via an emerald statement ring perhaps.

• Shalini Lahiri May 20, 2013 at 05:34 #

Hey peeps-I know the bangle is out of place- but as Smruthi put it- the bangle is Indian wedding custom (in some parts)and it’s as important as a wedding ring to many Indians,so she doesn’t remove it. :)

8. Rahul May 19, 2013 at 18:42 #

The Queen of Cannes (her 12th consecutive year!) looks absolutely stunning.
    Aishwarya seems to be an Elie Saab devotee (she’s been wearing his designs at Cannes since 2008) and their combination is way ahead of, say, Fan Bingbing-Elie Saab in terms of weaving magic on the red carpet.
    Divine!

9. Quinn May 19, 2013 at 18:42 #

WOW. She looks sensational! Love this!

Anyway, big thank you FC for blogging over the weekend! Finally my weekend is not as boring because your website is regularly updated. but i know i can’t get used to this. haha. thank you again!! :-)

• Catherine Kallon May 19, 2013 at 18:57 #

lol….i do consider blogging on weekends, but when would I sleep? ;)

10. DSI May 19, 2013 at 18:42 #

I had great expectations from her;but now fail to appreciate the ‘divinity’ in this look– in fact many other words beginning with the letter d come to my mind on seeing her pics–disappointed–dull, drab, dry, damp–anything but diva/drama. Dont like the hair at all.She would have worn her hair up. Some element in her look to add some brightness–some lip stain,perhaps?

11. Christine May 19, 2013 at 18:43 #

She is beautiful, but I am not liking this.

Case of Elie Saab fatigue.

• Iris May 19, 2013 at 19:10 #

+ 1. I think she looks frumpy.

• Shalini Lahiri May 20, 2013 at 05:35 #

Frumpy and old it is! :(

• Mandy May 20, 2013 at 00:06 #

+2 Agree i think i dont like the moodiness of the gown. I like the modifications and i wish her hair had been up. Still no ‘wow’ moment for me.

12. Rashmi May 19, 2013 at 18:44 #

LOVE! I am saying this for an aishwarya rai look after ages i think.. She looks absolutely beautiful!

13. molly May 19, 2013 at 18:45 #

Im really disappointed with this look. I am in love with the runway gown and I’ve been extremely excited to see it on the red carpet, but this is a major let down. I understand why she modified the gown, but some things are best left untouched, especially when the modifications dont add anything to the look. She certainly looks stunning, but the neckline and skirt on the runway gown are much much better.

14. Jazz May 19, 2013 at 18:47 #

She looks breathtaking. There is no flaw in this look. Beautiful dress, beautiful gal, great styling.

15. Rahul May 19, 2013 at 18:50 #

She looks stunning!
    Elie Saab-Aishwarya is always a winning combination.

16. suvimal May 19, 2013 at 18:54 #

aishwarya rai bollywood icon is the best recognised face from india.she is perfect already making every news channel headlne these days.her dress makeup weight gain.she is a true diva.love this dress.perfect choise as always

17. Kathy May 19, 2013 at 18:55 #

Her hair is wrong, she should not have left it down even though it looks good that way. That just distracts from the elegant details on her gown. I wish the skirt were more flowy, especially the sheer brown lace part that’s folded in this picture. It’s a bit too stiff.

18. Rahul May 19, 2013 at 18:57 #

She looks stunning!
    Aishwarya-Elie Saab is always a winning combo!

19. EmmaWoodhouse May 19, 2013 at 19:02 #

OH MY GOODNESS…BDOTY-worthy…this was on my wish list and she looks AMAZING. I am just gushing over this look! Literally gasped when I saw it! She is stunning here, really one of her best looks (if not the best ever). If she had put her hair up that would have been a touch improved, and like Nat39 said silver might have been preferred over gold, but those are tiny stylistic quibbles in an otherwise flawless look. My BDOTD! No contest! Elie Saab magic!

• Prerna May 19, 2013 at 19:07 #

Being a huge Aishwarya fan, I’m totally overwhelmed by your comment.
      Anyway, from an absolute fashion perspective, I agree with you completely. She is the epitome of elegance and style. :)

20. kane May 19, 2013 at 19:07 #

That’s the kind of Elie Saab that can still wow me. I’m in two minds about about the hair–it’s gorgeous no doubt, but maybe something else would have showcased the dress a little more?–, but in any case this is wonderful.

21. Elise May 19, 2013 at 19:10 #

This gown was my second favourite from Couture Spring 13 and I was eager for an “Oh My God” red carpet look. The first time I saw the photo I didn’t like at all, now I try to appreciate it. A small let down but I admit she looks stunning, a pity the hair down.

22. rajneesh May 19, 2013 at 19:56 #

I love it..she is beauty with grace and has
    the right attitude!!!!!

23. Mari May 19, 2013 at 20:01 #

Her hair is so pretty in vereyway, color, shine, etc. that is ok for me if she wore it down.
    I think her face looks better with her hair down anyway, when she has it up, it does not look as flattering.

24. Noemi May 19, 2013 at 20:34 #

She looks beautiful and she has gorgeous hair. The dress is too much, for me, maybe the lining made it too heavy.

25. abc May 19, 2013 at 20:44 #

This is a better pic of her. There are other pics which are not so flattering. The close up ones and the ones taken from side angle, they are really bad.

26. MaddyEliza May 19, 2013 at 21:00 #

This is amazing!!! Oh my gosh!! So much drama and intrigue in this dress!! This is a stunning look!! I’m in love oh my goodness. Spectacular. This comes close to competing with Sonam Kapoor in Dolce & Gabbana for Best Dressed of Cannes… :)

27. asmozonic May 19, 2013 at 21:06 #

seriously. welcome BACK, Ms. Rai! same pose as last year, though :P. gorgeous dress…and she looks fabulous.

28. Rebecca Z May 19, 2013 at 21:14 #

She is so beautiful that she would look good in a sack. that said, I am bored by this dress.

29. Cooltweens May 19, 2013 at 21:14 #

30. Prudence May 19, 2013 at 21:27 #

This is not one of her best Elie Saab looks. I really dislike the colors of this dress on her and I also wish her hair was up. This is more a miss than hit imo.

31. Pratyush May 19, 2013 at 21:32 #

I am so proud and happy for her. She’s faced a lot of flack over ‘image’ back home, with a lot of journalists either opting to sensationalise news or just having no back-bone to their critique on fashion. And I am happy that she has let none of it dent her. She has come out stronger for it and the ease and confidence shows. And she has worked hard on herself in her own time and on her own terms.

32. LEI May 19, 2013 at 21:49 #

Her face is pretty to pull this off.The gown is not so much for me.Too matchy-matchy with the clutch bag.Not the best look but not bad.

33. fromchi-town May 19, 2013 at 22:09 #

Finally… She looks sensational. After a long time I am saying this about her, she looks perfect. I thought I was bored of Elie Saab seeing it so often on FBB… But I love this…dark, moody yet delicate and gorgeous. I think this is the best she has ever looked. She is easily my BDOTD and also maybe a contender for BDOTY.

34. Aline May 19, 2013 at 22:16 #

WOW! W-O-W! I just sucked in a breath here. My God! This woman… she’s a true star. She was born for this. Look at the way she carries the dress. Such great poise and elegance.

I actually prefer her hair down. I think it makes the overrall look even more glamorous.

35. admmgz May 20, 2013 at 03:54 #

Beautiful!

36. Dee May 20, 2013 at 06:30 #

Hi FC
    I have been following your site since a long. While i am a big fan of Ash, i am earning to see Vidya Balan featured on your site. She might not be the ultimate fashionista, but depicts a Indian woman as is.

Your fan

• Catherine Kallon May 20, 2013 at 10:09 #

thanks for your comment.

The site is extremely busy. We covered two major events yesterday and with more coming today so I will not be taking any requests.

• smruthi May 20, 2013 at 10:33 #

FC,

Dee was mentioning Vidya Balan because she is representing India as part of Cannes Jury this year alongside Nicole Kidman. And she is being styled by Sabysachi.

• Catherine Kallon May 20, 2013 at 10:42 #

Sorry I am not taking requests.

37. Ashok sedai May 20, 2013 at 07:13 #

Aishworya rai is the best derss.

38. dreamz May 20, 2013 at 08:54 #

she looks amazing from every angle

39. Pene May 20, 2013 at 14:30 #

she looks beautiful. always does

40. Moxie May 20, 2013 at 15:52 #

Perfection. Definitely BDOTD, maybe even the week.

41. MatBer May 20, 2013 at 16:11 #

This outfit is really the epitome of tacky – a sparkling Morticia Addams.

42. Brooke May 20, 2013 at 20:26 #

Absolutely love the Elie Saab gown. Aishwarya looks gorgeous, as always. Another successful Cannes trip for Ms. Rai. I do however, agree with the majority who suggested her hair pinned up.

43. Sa'a May 20, 2013 at 21:13 #

Gorgeousssssss!oh Aishwariya how I’ve missed you on the red carpet.welcome back.

44. Dhppy May 20, 2013 at 23:29 #

This is a rare Elie Saab gown that doesn’t move me, on the model, or on Rai.

45. Jess2 May 21, 2013 at 05:39 #

This woman is a goddess!!! Best Dressed worthy without a doubt. So in love, this is just the fashion fix I needed.

46. Emma May 21, 2013 at 16:16 #

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it! She looks gorgeous and her gown is incredibly flattering. Her hair and makeup are perfect and she really is glowing! One of the best we’ve seen so far.

47. ash May 22, 2013 at 07:26 #

how does she maanage to look that young and fresh on her face i will nver know..i like the darker tones on her even in this weather…a good look on her

48. Flavia Style Source May 24, 2013 at 07:19 #

Again, this is an over the top gown! The gown itself is precious, very beautifully done.
    Not on this actress?!! Why? Because the black lacy work fights with her hair – this longer hair style here tries to balance somehow the black from the upper side of the gown and fails…

When you dress someone, you need to care of a basic principal of design: dominant and dominate. The gown/attire MUST always be the canvas, the background and the human must dominate the attire, not vice-versa.
    With this dress, the actress, her look and personality tries to counter-balance the gown but it does not succeed. The eye will look on the dress – which is a bigger part and impressive and then will look at the actress.

Perhaps a different color – a kind of bronze shade – would have looked better on her, to reveal more her face. Also the hair, should have been done somewhat asymmetrical, or even a high chignon to look better.

NO black for this actress and her skin/eyes/hair context.

49. The Cherry Tree May 24, 2013 at 20:53 #

Her best look at Cannes so far.

50. Pusph June 1, 2013 at 10:30 #

the gown was my dream gown. she is beautiful, but why doesn’t she lose some weight,she could have looked much better.