Berenice Bejo In Alexis Mabille Couture - ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

As the star of the movie, Berenice Bejo took center stage on the red carpet at the Palais des Festivals for the premiere of ‘Le Passé’ during the 2013 Cannes Film Festival in France this evening.

My first words were “J’Adore”.

Starting to grow ever so slightly weary of predictable gowns (especially when worn over and over again by the same person) this was a breath of fresh air.

The French beauty wore an ever so memorable Alexis Mabile Spring 2013 gown.

I love her version of this look which features a navy double-breasted tailored blazer with satin lapels over an ivory strapless bustier gown with a lace tiered skirt.

The juxtaposition of the masculine-and-feminine sets my senses tingling to the top of my finger tips.

We have seen some great gowns at Cannes, but this was really a “wow” moment for me.

A super slicked back ponytail, Monique Pean grey ombré fossilized walrus ivory-and-smokey quartz geometric oval earrings with white diamond pavé and a quirky Olympia Le-Tan book clutch completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Sara Forestier In Giambattista Valli Couture - ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Sara Forestier In Giambattista Valli Couture – ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Samantha Barks In Christian Dior -  ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

Samantha Barks In Christian Dior – ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

38 Responses to Berenice Bejo In Alexis Mabille Couture – ‘Le Passe’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere

1. Anne May 17, 2013 at 19:16 #

To me, this is so very French! I don’t think I’d like it on many people besides Berenice. Maybe Marion. A refreshing Cannes look that I am surprised I like so much.

• Lola May 17, 2013 at 19:19 #

+1 maybe the white jacket and som colorful acessories would have worked too?! But this is lovely… On her!

2. justme May 17, 2013 at 19:17 #

I love this. The clutch was the perfect, complementary addition.

3. Alina May 17, 2013 at 19:17 #

LOVEEE!

4. Rebecca Z May 17, 2013 at 19:19 #

Interesting and different. It works well for her. It’s not my favorite, but I like the change of pace. I really like her hair, makeup and earrings with this look.

• Christine May 18, 2013 at 04:20 #

She is working this. Love the clutch!

5. Emmeline May 17, 2013 at 19:19 #

This is beautiful. I’m so glad she changed the blazer to navy.

6. fromchi-town May 17, 2013 at 19:20 #

I agree with your comments that we were seeing the same gowns over and over again, and this is indeed something new and refreshing. I am surprised I like this look as much as I do.

7. Yeliz May 17, 2013 at 19:20 #

I don’t know how to feel about this look. The addition of the blazer in blue is actually a nice idea, but I have a feeling that I would’ve liked this look more without the blazer. On the other hand, the gown would’ve looked like a bridal gown then.. I really don’t. What I am sure about is that I love the clutch and dislike the hairstyle.

• Yeliz May 17, 2013 at 19:22 #

*I really don’t know.

• Moxie May 17, 2013 at 19:29 #

• DSI May 17, 2013 at 20:17 #

+1. She stands out,agreed. But not for any great reasons,i think. She looks good,but feels as if it is wrong dress/right place, or right dress/wrong place???

8. Charlotte May 17, 2013 at 19:23 #

The clutch is out of place here.
    I’m not too fond of this look, the jacket looks a little bit cheap, especially because of the belt.
    I love the idea but not the execution.

9. Nat39 May 17, 2013 at 19:23 #

This is certainly something entirely different but this isn’t quite working for me – the navy blazer is so harsh and formal and feels completely disjointed with the rest of the look, the gimmicky clutch is distracting and doesn’t really belong, and I think she is overwhelmed by the skirt. I find the whole thing a bit off.

• Nat39 May 17, 2013 at 19:28 #

…and I’m not loving the skirt, it’s kinda cheesy bridal looking.

• gabis May 17, 2013 at 19:52 #

I agree except that I really love the navy blazer. The lace skirt, however, is dreadful, the earrings are too big and the quirk clutch is indeed distracting and out of place.
        I would’ve loved this with a more traditional clutch, smaller earrings and a skirt with a less cheesy fabric.

• Nat May 17, 2013 at 20:06 #

I agree but I loved her hair and make up.

• Prudence May 18, 2013 at 01:31 #

yes agreed! I feel like I should love this because it is so unique but that skirt is just tooo poofy and it overwhelms her.

• malinda jane May 17, 2013 at 19:41 #

I also think the navy blazer looks so harsh against the rest of the gown. It almost doesn’t seem intentional. I would’ve much preferred the cream version.

• Nat39 May 17, 2013 at 19:51 #

She should’ve def. kept the softer cream version imo, absolutely, the navy almost feels like she threw it on randomly. It’s rather jarring, overpowering and out-of-place, it surpresses the pretty femininty of the skirt instead of subtly offsetting it.

10. Iris May 17, 2013 at 19:27 #

agree completely. it’s brave, it’s fresh, it’s fun. everything that FBB no longer is! such a pity that the vets think they need to dress to a template.

11. Blush May 17, 2013 at 19:33 #

You don’t think the blazer looks weird with the big poofy gown? It’s looks so strange and will not age well in photographs.

12. magan May 17, 2013 at 19:38 #

Espectacular, me encanta, perfecta, maravillosa

13. Dressaddict May 17, 2013 at 19:41 #

My jaw dropped when l saw the picture. I love, love, love it! I love it so much that l think this could be BDOTY. Perfection!

I think she has definitely changed her stylist, all her last appearences were fab and so much different from the “The Artist” period.

14. kane May 17, 2013 at 19:46 #

Looking at the individual bits, I’m surprised how much I like this… I can’t explain it, I guess it’s “enchanting.” I love how she’s having fun with the look, with the clutch in particular, and it’s such an incomparable improvement to the earlier look.

15. R May 17, 2013 at 19:54 #

I appreciate that this is different, but I like the idea more than the execution. The skirt is just too puffy for the blazer.

This sort of reminds me of Emma Watson’s look for the final London HP premiere, the Oscar de la Renta. At one point she threw a modern white blazer over it and it made the look. Berenice’s look falls a little short of that.

16. Lila May 17, 2013 at 19:58 #

It’s the kind of bad executed styling plan that someone like Paula Patton’s stylist would’ve come up with.

• Lila May 17, 2013 at 20:03 #

***would’ve came up with

17. MaddyEliza May 17, 2013 at 20:07 #

I love this!! Totally different and still glamorous!!

18. Marybeth May 17, 2013 at 20:33 #

Different does not equal good.

I appreciate the attempt to mix feminine and masculine elements in a novel way but I think the end product is mediocre.

I hate the clutch — with the outfit I mean, not on its own. The last thing this ensemble needs is a discordant, pop-trendy accessory to remove any possibility of sophistication.

19. dressaddict May 17, 2013 at 21:39 #

I think that the blazer-puffy skirt is exactly the combo that make this outfit so special. And it has sort of been done before and I loved it as much then too. http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2012/11/07/cat-deeley-in-charlie-brear-wgsn-global-fashion-awards/

20. Fiona-Brasil May 17, 2013 at 23:00 #

I love the catwalk look.On Berenice quite the oposite.Too much volume in the waistline, too heavy the dark blazer color.It is not pleasant to the eyes.

21. Saara May 17, 2013 at 23:32 #

I’m getting a definite Ulyana Sergeenko vibe from this look. Love! The clutch is the perfect touch.

22. Alicat May 18, 2013 at 03:06 #

This is a combination that you either like or loathe. I think I have heard the term “Marmite look” used here. I loathe it. The gown is overly frothy like an 80s wedding dress. The tailored blue blazer looks so random with this iced confection of a dress. Thumbs down for me.

23. Pedro May 18, 2013 at 04:29 #

Berenice looks AMAZING!

Out of the box, stylish and oh so chic

Love

24. [email protected] May 18, 2013 at 12:11 #

This looks ridiculous. Your either going to be business or formal not both.

25. EmmaWoodhouse May 18, 2013 at 15:15 #

I think this looks very cool!!! I like it a lot–even though the blazer looks a little awkward at first. On second glance, it’s a beautiful look that is unusual and bold. Probably my BDOTD!

26. Jess2 May 19, 2013 at 03:07 #

Fresh and unexpected, I think she looks great. I haven’t really liked many of Berenice’s looks but this is definitely one of her best.