15.05.13 Premiere

Sonam Kapoor In Anamika Khanna Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Since Fan Bingbing went the brand ambassadorial route, it was left to Sonam Kapoor to serve up something traditional on the red carpet for the Opening Ceremony of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival this evening.

The Indian actress wore a stunning Anamika Khanna Couture white lace saree featuring intricate gold embroidered through-out.

While I love the authenticity of this look, I have to give thumbs down the nose ring. Had it been smaller and not dominating her face, maybe I would’ve jumped on board.

Jimmy Choo shoes and Sunita K jewels completed her look.

Yay or nay on the nose ring?

Credit: Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Carey Mulligan In Christian Dior Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Carey Mulligan In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

56 Responses to Sonam Kapoor In Anamika Khanna Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 21:44 #

Nay on the nose ring, but I like the rest of this traditional look.

• Quinn May 15, 2013 at 21:57 #

• Christine May 16, 2013 at 02:01 #

• Anu May 16, 2013 at 09:53 #

I actually dunno… i mean nay on the nose ring and the maku up was a bit to bold for the outfit.

• dee May 16, 2013 at 14:17 #

I agree.

2. fromchi-town May 15, 2013 at 21:46 #

I cant decide about this look. I like her make up, but the look feels a little too bare… maybe statement kundan earrings instead of that nose ring would have elevated this look. If you are going the traditional Indian route, then better embrace it all the way and bling it up a little.

• Erika May 15, 2013 at 21:48 #

I agree. Wrong choice of jewels Sonam. Indian women, when dressing up traditionally for an event will never, ever sport a bare neck or barren ears.

• Fashionguy May 15, 2013 at 22:03 #

That’s not true you know. Wearing traditional Indian clothes doesn’t automatically imply that jewelry must be a part of the ensemble. I’m just sayin’.
        Also, on another note- I feel like the nose ring doesn’t really work only because I don’t think she managed to achieve the look she was going for. Which was perhaps the Givenchy inspired one, a few seasons ago around the Olympics. Not many people seemed to mind that, ey?

• Fashionguy May 15, 2013 at 22:05 #

Oh and I also think the sleeves could have been slimmer and hugging her fore arms gracefully like Kate Middletons wedding gown

• dil May 16, 2013 at 04:35 #

i too dont liek the fit of the sleeves.especially the bottom half.

• Indu May 16, 2013 at 10:41 #

+1 I dont think jhumkas are essential and vidhya Balan I think will do something similar with her usual saree and jhumkas (boring) …and here is a look which is quite different from what we have seen so far with saris… I thought this is a bold choice for her and she looks stunning with those super curvy eye lashes…

3. Moxie May 15, 2013 at 21:47 #

Love everything but the nose ring. It would have worked if the ring had been smaller.

4. H May 15, 2013 at 21:47 #

If it would be smaller, I think I could pass the nose ring but is too bovious being that big, the rest, as usual, is great.

• Alina May 16, 2013 at 05:48 #

5. Rebecca Z May 15, 2013 at 21:51 #

Lovely dress, but the nose ring is a little too overwhelming for western tastes. But maybe that doesn’t matter?

• misty fruity May 29, 2013 at 21:19 #

no it really dsent matter, rather to me it looks good. i am an indian and knw the importance and significance of a nosering. so, frm an indian perspective she went for boldness and the contrast is being presented by that nosering

6. olala May 15, 2013 at 21:57 #

Aww, cummon!
    This is dramatic, glam and blingy.

I like.

• kane May 15, 2013 at 22:23 #

Me too!

• Tatá May 16, 2013 at 03:24 #

I looove it!!! The most memorable look of day 1!!
        She looks absolutely divine!

7. Ashley Camryn May 15, 2013 at 22:00 #

The gown is gorgeous and she looks divine. I actually thought the circle on her face was the webpage loading symbol! But as a cultural element, the nose ring doesn’t detract from her beauty.

8. Aline May 15, 2013 at 22:10 #

I love her hair and makeup, don’t like the nose ring and am undecided about the gown. I guess I like the concept, but the fact it’s lace makes me iffy about it.

9. Tamara May 15, 2013 at 22:11 #

So gorgeous! She is super high fashion without sacrificing her Indian roots. Sometimes I guess you need to be a litle risky with your choices if you want to stand out. I do agree though that the nosering could’ve been done without, but somehow Sonam makes it almost work?!

10. Rashmi May 15, 2013 at 22:16 #

WOW! Looking at some other pictures, the jacket is really a piece of art..so beautiful! I like the make up and the nose ring.. At first glance i did not like it but the more pictures i see, the more it grows on me. Love that Sonam went the traditional route.

11. kayennat May 15, 2013 at 22:20 #

This is a saree with a jacket, not a gown. Nose rings are a personal preference and while i don’t like them, i think she totally rocks it!

12. olala May 15, 2013 at 22:20 #

And this is not a gown, it is a saree with a jacket, so it cannot be subject to the same aesthetic standards. Overall, it is a traditional outfit, but done with western sensibilities. I think this is a great mix – the nose ring is the only ornament here (in India, it would be the final ornament), there is a small train (you would never see that on an ‘Indian’ garment), the hair is lovely and she looks awesome :)

13. S May 15, 2013 at 22:23 #

I love it, all in all. At first the nose ring stuck out to me like a sore thumb but then it grew on me after having looked at it a few times. It’s innovative and unexpected because I kind of predicted that she’d be wearing huge kundan statement earrings with the look, as Sonam loves her earrings. Enough about the nose ring from me; Love the sari, too! Anamika Khanna is quite possibly the best indian designer out there; she’s different. And the hair and makeup is on point this year unlike last year’s disaster. Now if only we get some shots of her taking a stride so we can see those Choos.

14. dressaddict May 15, 2013 at 22:29 #

Nay.

15. naomie May 15, 2013 at 22:46 #

I like the entire look, especially BECAUSE of the nose ring. Many Hindu nose rings are big and sparkly and have chains and stones etc.
    This might even be considered moderate.
    I like that she went big and wasn’t shy about it and didn’t wear a small size just to make someone who is not used to it feel more comfortable.
    I really think she looks great with it.
    Kudos to her!!

16. Afef May 15, 2013 at 22:58 #

Just to correct all of you girls, it’s not a dress!!!
    she is wearing a saree.
    Concerning the nose ring; it’s beautiful but i am missings the beautiful indian earings!!!

17. Devika May 15, 2013 at 23:09 #

Hey FC,

Have you seen an Indian jury member – Vidya Balan’s outfits yet? She’s only wearing Sabyasachi. Would love to hear your thoughts!

18. Gunita May 15, 2013 at 23:16 #

Absolutely love the Saree! The blouse is truly a work of art.
    I wish the nose ring had been smaller but I think she’s making it work. And the makeup is amazing!
    I guess she’s definitely going to wear a Shehla Khan one of these days. Maybe that’s next!

19. Andreas May 15, 2013 at 23:21 #

I love the look from head to toe. Cannes is about drama, and she brought the drama. Nothing about this look is safe or expected. I love the nose ring, because, if it were smaller, it’d be a regular old piercing. Because it’s such a statement piece, though, it takes her look to the next level. My favorite so far, along with Nicole and Carey in Dior.

• jkrau May 16, 2013 at 04:50 #

Ditto! The nose ring MAKES the whole look; still gorgeous without it, but with it, stunning and bold.

20. AK May 15, 2013 at 23:56 #

Love the saree and the lip color. The nose ring seems to be growing on me. And absolutely in love with the make-up!

Also, please consider including Vidya Balan in your Cannes Festival posts. She’s on the jury, this year. Would love to see you feature her as well :)

21. CreoleLady May 16, 2013 at 01:54 #

Ravishing. A woman divine stepping forth in all of her feminine glory. Superb.

22. Alicat May 16, 2013 at 02:29 #

Just beautiful. I really love this. The cultural influences on her choice of gown/saree and her hair and makeup make this stand out. I know nothing about how nose rings are worn and when, but I think it just adds to her overall look. I’d love to dress like this but it would look downright silly on a pale skinned strawberry blonde…

23. SatinLove May 16, 2013 at 03:21 #

She’s really looking fantastic here. I have to admit, at first I wasn’t too keen on the nose ring, but the more I saw it, the I liked it. She looks like the Indian warrior princess. She has got a really beautiful smile, wish she had smiled for the flashbulbs, would have added to the overall beauty of the look.

24. Sana May 16, 2013 at 04:25 #

It’s a saree, not a gown :)
    And this is the best look one could have expected from sonam. A perfect blend of traditional and western wear, with just the right amount of jewellery. The nose ring – admit it – can only be carried off by sonam. I think she looks breathtakingly beautiful!

25. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 04:27 #

Love the traditional costume, it’s beautiful and so dignified. However, the nose ring really ruins it for me. It’s just too overbearing.

26. Janani May 16, 2013 at 04:48 #

Love the entire ensemble – including nose ring!

27. senty May 16, 2013 at 05:20 #

love the look.I think the nose ring looks great on her:)

28. the ogre May 16, 2013 at 05:46 #

u know…as much as i love her somehow she always disappoints when i least expect it. her gown is beautiful bcoz anamika khanna creates soe stunning pieces. and her hair and make up r perfect too. but the nose ring is just preposterous with the whole look and completely spoils the feel for me. sad. very sad.

29. Dhppy May 16, 2013 at 06:04 #

Overwrought.

30. Pratyush May 16, 2013 at 06:10 #

This is a modernized version of the traditional Indian drape – the sari. And the nose ring, in its glory, i actually like. It ties in the Indian inspiration pretty well. If we can gush over SJP’s headgear, no matter how OTT they are (and I love them), i say plus points to Sonam for bringing out Indian Accessories to the fore front.

31. Ab May 16, 2013 at 07:23 #

Loving the drama she’s bought to the red carpet. Nose ring is a bit overbearing to be honest. But on the plus side, she looks absolutely divine.

32. Lalitha May 16, 2013 at 08:13 #

The nosering should be smaller to suit her face. Looks like she is wearing a sari. Love Anamika’s designs but I think the embriodery on the outter upper arms is distracting. Overall though, she looks fab. Go Sonam!

33. Louise May 16, 2013 at 14:55 #

Nay to the nose-ring, it’s too big and distracting.

34. AGS May 16, 2013 at 15:10 #

Sonam Kapoor is celebrating 100 years of Indian cinema on the red carpet….she is endorsing looks of yester years starting from 1930′s. Her saree to her jacket and especially her nose ring are a great blend of the journey of indian women in cinema till date…..to add to the whole look the make up adds a lil drama that the yester years were known for…All those who do not have a know how of history of Indian Cinema….Please research…and lets stop condemning her….she is brave enough to bring a look to red carpet that represents her country and not get lost in the ocean of gowns.

• Gunita May 17, 2013 at 10:25 #

Well said!

35. Ritika May 16, 2013 at 19:00 #

No two thoughts at all. I loved this look the minute I saw it! This particular saree could have done with only one piece of jewellery and I’m so glad Sonam picked this. It flatters here, she did her make up right, and the outfit itself is a work of art.

36. SR May 16, 2013 at 19:04 #

Bold, beautiful and graceful. Love the entire classic Indian vibe. And I think not many people can pull of a nose-ring, but Sonam ROCKS it and how!

37. Gabby M May 17, 2013 at 06:31 #

I really dont like that nose ring, but regardless this would be my best dressed, everyone else is so underwhelming

38. Jazz May 17, 2013 at 06:53 #

I usually despise Sonam..but I’ve got to admit she looks flawless here. Even with that large nose ring, it grew on me after staring at the photo for a few moments. Such a great take on traditional garb all around

39. Archim Beypi May 17, 2013 at 08:56 #

Absolutely yay! I love the attire. Which does Include the jewelleries. It’s a total different look.the saree jacket adds a bonus. And also the mode ring. No one would carry off such attire as a whole that well as she does!

40. Archim Beypi May 17, 2013 at 08:57 #

Nose*

41. Jess2 May 17, 2013 at 09:04 #

I really don’t like the nose ring but the rest is lovely.