Solange Knowles In Stéphane Rolland Couture - ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Solange Knowles made her Cannes Film Festival debut on the red carpet this evening for ‘The Great Gatsby’ premiere, which also served as the opening ceremony.

I remember the hairs that stood up on the back of my neck when I saw this stunning Stéphane Rolland Fall 2012 feather-accented caramel gown taking to the runway. Sadly, the same effect didn’t happen this evening.

While I love the gown, her Chopard jewels and that orange-red lip, the gown loses its fierceness with that thin gold belt.

I would have preferred the warrior princess runway belt and a smaller Jimmy Choo clutch.

Knowing Solange was attending this event, I think I may have set my expectations too high.

Is anyone feeling the mehness of this look?

Credit: NYMag & Getty

Zooey Deschanel's Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Zooey Deschanel’s Zooey Deschanel for Tommy Hilfiger Sleeveless Contrast-Trim Belted Dress

Cheryl Cole's Splendid Strapless Stretch Jersey Maxi Dress And K Jacques St Tropez 'Buffon' Leather Sandals

Cheryl Cole’s Splendid Strapless Stretch Jersey Maxi Dress And K Jacques St Tropez ‘Buffon’ Leather Sandals

63 Responses to Solange Knowles In Stéphane Rolland Couture – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Premiere & Cannes Film Festival Opening Ceremony

1. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 21:01 #

I’m with you, FC. The gown is stunning on the runway, but Solange’s styling is wrong. I don’t like the orange lip colour and the earrings and prefer the runway belt too.

• Christine May 16, 2013 at 02:16 #

Not feeling this look.

• Jess2 May 17, 2013 at 08:58 #

I agree also, wish she had the belt!

2. Rory May 15, 2013 at 21:02 #

I just saw a photoset of this on tumblr and RAN here to see if you were covering it because it was AMAZING. Life giving moment. But this particular photo does it no justice whatsoever and does look just ‘meh’. Trust me, there are photos of the dress billowing in the wind and Solo is WERQING! ..but you chose this boring one.. :(

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 21:44 #

I need too seem more pictures..Getty only has two of her.

• dressaddict May 15, 2013 at 21:53 #

Well, after more pictures I think it would’ve been better for the dress to be a little bit more lined. http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/The+Great+Gatsby+Red+Carpet+pI-WhJOVa02l.jpg

• Mm May 16, 2013 at 00:28 #

Great photo. Very dramatic

• Beta May 16, 2013 at 07:29 #

great picture, love it! Also, I much prefer solange’s styling to the runway.

• Pene May 16, 2013 at 09:52 #

Thats a great photo but after lookin at the hemming(both left and bottom) it looks gives it a cheap look. Like it was sown in a hurry

3. Sabiha May 15, 2013 at 21:02 #

I think the gown is wow, it looks so pretty flowy and elegant, I think it makes a welcome change to the bold edgy looks Solange usually supports and fits with The Great Gatsby theme perfectly

4. H May 15, 2013 at 21:03 #

I know what you mean about the belt, but I love everything else in here, she is always one to watch and I am not dissapointed at all, of course, she could have been better but still rocks.

5. Ronny May 15, 2013 at 21:03 #

Duuuuhh NO She looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G omg am sorry but r u not seeing wht seeing lol

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 21:44 #

I tried….I just wish she’d worn that darn belt

• Denise May 16, 2013 at 06:40 #

+1. Solange unfortunately tamed a Stephane Rolland dress. If she wanted to look etheral she should have worn Valentino and left this dress for a truly wild child to do it justice!

6. Fanny May 15, 2013 at 21:03 #

My first reaction was “WOW”. but I do agree the runway belt is way cooler.

• Alina May 16, 2013 at 06:00 #

7. Lola May 15, 2013 at 21:03 #

I agree about the belt but most of all i don’t think this dress is her style?! The white (? ) clutch is downright annoying…

• dressaddict May 15, 2013 at 21:55 #

Nope, it’s gold.

• Taksi May 16, 2013 at 00:25 #

I agree, Solange can wear the heck out of prints and bold colors; I don’t think she can do ‘ethereal’ though.

8. petrelli May 15, 2013 at 21:05 #

Perfection, head to toe.

9. arwa May 15, 2013 at 21:05 #

Love it. It’s something different but very beautiful from Solange

10. Rebecca Z May 15, 2013 at 21:10 #

I think it is pretty spectacular. She appears to be staking out some new territory, but still with her own quirky twist (e.g. earrings and clutch). I love the dress on her and am so glad it isn’t caught between her legs like on the model.

11. irina May 15, 2013 at 21:10 #

Stunning!

12. dee May 15, 2013 at 21:11 #

I think the color of the gown is so unflattering on Solange. She looks better with vibrant colors not pastels. The neckline is not good and the belt from the runway would have been so much better than the belt she has on. This is a big fail for me.

13. Nat39 May 15, 2013 at 21:13 #

The gown is spectacular but I think that Solange is simply not quite the right person for it, the clutch is def. too big and distracting, and should’ve def. kept the belt which really enhances the look.

14. Neli May 15, 2013 at 21:14 #

I LOVE this look! Solange looks stunning! J’adore!

15. Fiona-Brasil May 15, 2013 at 21:16 #

Agreed totally about the belt, the clutch also the earrings don’t feel right.Although I love the dress.

16. Tanya May 15, 2013 at 21:16 #

I ain’t liking this look for her!
    yes, the belt would have brought in that much needed impact!

17. mm May 15, 2013 at 21:17 #

She looks wonderful. I could’ve did without the clutch. But for her 1st appearance she is outstanding

18. dressaddict May 15, 2013 at 21:17 #

I think it’s perfect. Soft and bold in the same time. I love it.

19. benr2288 May 15, 2013 at 21:20 #

Not a big fan of the clutch, but, to me, the rest is perfection personified. I even like the belt better here than on the runway.

20. Amy May 15, 2013 at 21:21 #

I love the flowy feel of the dress. But yeah I miss the runway belt (amazing) and she should have ditched the clutch.

21. Kuzeika May 15, 2013 at 21:22 #

I actually find Solange’s styling better than the runway’s..

22. Kaiva May 15, 2013 at 21:28 #

There is no slit right? I think that also could bring some of the warrior princess back

23. Erika May 15, 2013 at 21:32 #

The gown has photographed beautifully. Looks very dramatic. However, the color washes her out.

24. lolly May 15, 2013 at 21:32 #

stunning!!! I know that hairstyle is her thing. if it was softer though the effect in my opinion would have been better.

25. kathryn May 15, 2013 at 21:33 #

My girl crush on Solange grew by a mile when I saw this look. I love it, because she is bringing it. Other than Nicole Kidman and Solange, I have not seen any other look that wowed me and that was worthy of Cannes.

26. Kat May 15, 2013 at 21:35 #

I prefer her styling to the runway version. The belt is amazing but takes away focus from the dress with all its intricate details. Ditto for the slit. There’s fierce and there’s TMI. Solange’s more subdued styling is a winner.

27. fromchi-town May 15, 2013 at 21:39 #

That dress is a piece of art… it looks great on her. Full marks to her for wearing it on the red carpet. That being said, I wish she had kept the runway belt and changed the clutch and her earrings.

28. Burcu May 15, 2013 at 21:39 #

This hair made me crazy with this gorgeous gown.Am i the only one?? This lenght is not good to leave so much hair natural especially for one of the important red carpet event

• LatriceKelly May 20, 2013 at 18:40 #

Yes, it’s just you. Natural hair belongs everywhere, including the Red Carpet. Solange represents natural beauty to the fullest.

29. Moxie May 15, 2013 at 21:50 #

Beautiful dress, but the styling is pulling the look down.

30. kane May 15, 2013 at 22:22 #

The runway photo is perfection, I don’t even mind the shoes!

As for Solange’s styling, whatever detail I compare, I find myself disappointed (shoes, clutch, earrings and belt in particular, lip colour). Also the sleeves look unfortunate (maybe my only peeve in the runway picture as well). But okay, I give it the benefit of the doubt that maybe the picture doesn’t bring out the best of it.

31. regina May 15, 2013 at 22:44 #

The styling is not great, but she still looks amazing.

32. Kimy May 15, 2013 at 23:15 #

Ooh – love it!

33. Simon May 15, 2013 at 23:17 #

I’m AMAZED. Almost named myself “Solange” to comment, that proves how amazed and blown away i am by this look! DAMN !

34. Ramsay May 16, 2013 at 00:40 #

I love Solange’s sense of style: her love of colour and print and mix ‘n match – as much as I think she does sporty, casual and cocktail looks well I don’t think she pulls off evening as well – she has rarely wowed us in a gown – mostly we like her for more casual looks – and I think this is just another proof of that

35. june May 16, 2013 at 01:55 #

i would’ve preferred the runway belt and another clutch sure, but she looks AMAZING

(and seriously, do people expect her to only wear bolds and prints forever just because they work on her so well? because then we’d say she was boring for never trying new looks. i love her for trying new things and new looks. that’s what makes her interesting and fun)

• cascia May 16, 2013 at 09:29 #

ITA

36. Alicat May 16, 2013 at 02:38 #

This is a stunning gown which needs movement to show it to full effect. The intricate work on the train is outstanding. I agree that the runway belt would have added some edge which is missing a bit in Solange’s styling. Her earrings and clutch are questionable choices. I do like it overall and like that she has gone for something different.

37. AG May 16, 2013 at 03:20 #

I actually really love this! Love the drama of the gown and her styling is perfect.

38. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 04:25 #

To make this look fab, the skirt needed to be lined (with a billowing lining, of course, not some silly slip) and the warrior-princess belt NEEDED to be kept. I love the movement of the gown and the feathered accents. It’s close, but not quite cutting it for me.

39. the ogre May 16, 2013 at 06:04 #

not her style at all was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw her post. i’m disappointed again! bad accessories ruin the look for me here! look at the runway model look and look at this. there seems to have been some kind of major character loss to the gown on the red carpet here.

40. Taylor May 16, 2013 at 06:17 #

Love, Love, Love everything about this.

41. Beverly May 16, 2013 at 06:51 #

She’s gone with the wind fabulous :)

42. Mandy May 16, 2013 at 10:48 #

This is a rare miss. I really don’t like anything about this look, especially the colour.

43. Valeria May 16, 2013 at 13:29 #

I love it, she made it her own and wears it well-as opposed to some being worn by their dresses

44. Adrian May 16, 2013 at 17:01 #

I love this this look. I am a bit impartial to the runway belt, I would have gone bigger than what solange has but the buckle to that runway belt annoys me. I must agree the clutch is too much. Lets discuss that sick back pose. The drama is everything.

45. Prudence May 16, 2013 at 19:48 #

how does the queen of style and accessorizing get it sooo wrong??? I am just going to forget this happened and hope for the best next time. Also, why is she even there???

46. Francesca May 16, 2013 at 20:13 #

I loved it! I definitely don’t mind the belt, that dress is beautiful on her own.

47. Francois Bresmal May 17, 2013 at 16:17 #

No one wears Stephane Rolland better than Cheryl Cole in Cannes! Is she attending this year?????

• Catherine Kallon May 17, 2013 at 16:44 #

I agree to some degree Nieves and Paz Vega would argue that they can work a Stephane Rolland gown just a good if not better ;)

48. LatriceKelly May 20, 2013 at 18:43 #

She didn’t need the wonder woman belt nor the trashy looking shoes of the runway styling. Solange stands out all on her own. I have been dying over this dress on all the other blogs and message boards. The wind capturing the drama and essence of this dress is nothing short of a miracle! Made me think she had a traveling fan with her. LOL