15.05.13

Cannes Film Festival 2013

Cannes Film Festival 2013

The 2013 Cannes Film Festival finally kick-starts today. If you are like me, this is your highlight of the year; it’s like the Oscars, the Met Gala and Christmas rolled into one.

Nicole Kidman is one of the jurors, taking over from Diane Kruger who surpassed all our very high expectations last year. We are hoping for the same level of success from Mrs Urban.

The L’Oreal girls will be travelling in from all parts of the globe. We should be looking out for Eva Longoria, who always brings it hard at this event. Fan Bing Bing will hopefully be working a traditional interpretation of a classic Asian design, as she always does at the opening ceremony. Aishwarya Rai, Jane Fonda, Cheryl Cole, Freida Pinto, Doutzen Kroes and Sonam Kapoor are expected as well.
Remember to keep refreshing throughout the day, as I will be live blogging over the next 12 days.

As there will be many gowns each day, we’ll be voting on your Best Dressed of the Day.

If you need a refresher as to what we can expect from this epic festival, take a look back at last year’s event.

Check out my Cannes wish list below, which includes Stéphane Rolland, Giambattista Valli, Valentino and, of course, the maestro Elie Saab.

Last year 3 of my picks hit the red carpet, I hope more from my list make it this time.

Cannes 1Cannes 2Cannes 3Cannes 4

Credit: Chiragh Patel, Style.com & Getty

Constance Jablonski In Alberta Ferretti - ‘Birdman’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

Constance Jablonski In Alberta Ferretti – ‘Birdman’ Venice Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

Carey Mulligan In Balenciaga - 'The Great Gatsby' Cannes Film Festival Photocall

Carey Mulligan In Balenciaga – ‘The Great Gatsby’ Cannes Film Festival Photocall

25 Responses to Cannes Film Festival 2013

1. Gunita May 15, 2013 at 10:15 #

I’ve already been refreshing since past 2 hrs! :P
    I’m sooo excited! ^.^

• Christine May 15, 2013 at 14:32 #

Been waiting for a year for this!! Cannot wait! :D

2. Noemi May 15, 2013 at 10:17 #

I hope to see many amazing outfit. Last year Diane Kruger kinda spoiled us, with her great style. I’m looking forward to see Leonardo DiCaprio, I hope you’ll feature him, I read that he asked Cara Delevingne and Rita Ora to be his guests tonight… smart man!

• Jess May 15, 2013 at 16:45 #

I agree – I still remember how utterly divine Diane Kruger looked in that molten silver dress and the way she posed on the red carpet in it … it really was almost perfection.

Loving your Valentino Spring Couture pick although I’m hoping to see it in a different color just because it’s Cannes!

3. Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 10:17 #

This is SO exciting, I love this time of the year even more than my own birthday. :D

I didn’t knew Nicole Kidman is in the jury. She was amazing last year and I’m sure she’ll wow us this year too.

I remember how we all jumped out of happiness when three gowns from your wishlist hit the Cannes red carpet last year, FC. I especially want to see the red Elie Saab gown, all the Stéphane Rolland gowns and the Antonio Berardi gown in the next 12 heavenly days.

• Yeliz May 15, 2013 at 11:32 #

Btw, after looking very often to the Elie Saab white gown with the cape, I can now totally picture Carey Mulligan in it. It’s a simple, elegant and totally stunning gown and would suit Carey’s style. I hope she’ll wear it tonight.

4. Tiger Nueng May 15, 2013 at 10:22 #

Can’t wait for Nicole Kidman and last night she already start with great look at jury dinner event!

5. Rashmi May 15, 2013 at 10:25 #

Have been waiting for a year for this!! :D

Love your picks FC!
    I hope if Cheryl choose to wear Stephane Rolland again, it should be the very first one!

I really really wish someone to wear the Elie Saab with the CAPE!! ( Fan Bing Bing , hope she is reading :D )

I can totally imagine Nicole is the Antonia Berardi beaded one! It is just WOW!!

Hope no one disappoints this time ( A shout at Sonam Kapoor :D )

Looking forward to refreshing RCFA after every minute , like always ;) All the best and lets enjoy our favorite days!!

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 10:48 #

Yes you read my mind with Nicole in Berardi

• Ramsay May 15, 2013 at 12:18 #

But wouldn’t that be too similar to her Emmy dress from last year? (we know if she wears it she will take off the navy train)

6. hepmoda May 15, 2013 at 10:28 #

You forgot Audrey Tautou. She is the ‘Mistress of Ceremonies’ this year:) Ans she is allways elegant and beautiful. I am very exited about Cannes too!

7. Iris May 15, 2013 at 10:35 #

am super-excited, more so because there’s an Indian juror, Vidya Balan. i hope she dresses to impress!
    but i can’t believe you’ve already been working on Cannes… hope there are lots of beautiful clothes, esp from your wishlist, to make you happy!

• Fashionmint May 15, 2013 at 10:42 #

Oh wow.Vidya Balan..love her..waiting for some wonderful sabyasachi moments for sure !

• Linda May 15, 2013 at 11:50 #

But Vidya will exclusively wear Sabya.. disappointing considering she has the power to bring to the world stage other amazing yet little known Indian designers. Never the less, Sabyasaachi and Balan are a match made in heaven.

Maybe Sonam will wear other Indian designers, I know she is a fan of AK!

8. Jess2 May 15, 2013 at 10:49 #

I was feeling really horrible 2 minutes ago but I’m miraculously cured and so very excited! Definitely the best fashion event of the entire year! I am really hoping Nicole brings her A-game and wears the Antonio Berardi gown you picked FC.

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 12:02 #

fingers crossed

9. Aurélien May 15, 2013 at 10:52 #

So excited !
    Thanks for your constancy and your great work ! Enjoy it :)

• Catherine Kallon May 15, 2013 at 11:05 #

thank you…can’t wait for the opening ceremony

10. Anya May 15, 2013 at 11:41 #

OMG so excited! The Valentino is divine and cant wait to see your Valli picks on the red carpet.. hopefully they will get their turn!

Really appreciate your constant coverage.. I will be refreshing for sure! If not my laptop then my phone.. :)

11. perry_rai May 15, 2013 at 12:26 #

oohhh would love to see sonam in any of these gowns….
    also Audrey Tatou…and Vidya Balan hope she impresses with some satorical choices

12. TeaAtTwo May 15, 2013 at 13:12 #

I wish Kerry Washington were going to Cannes. Along with these gowns a sea green Georges Hobeika SS couture gowns (look 20) and a red Alexis Mabille Couture gown with a bow are on my wishlist.

13. Emily May 15, 2013 at 16:36 #

FC I am very excited and very looking forward to following your Cannes coverage!!! Thank you in advanced for all your hard work!!! xx

14. Pablo May 15, 2013 at 18:43 #

Ugh! Finally the best 12 days are here! Refresh button behold!

I can totally get your enthusiasm! May we all have a wonderful Cannes Festival here at RCFA! :D

15. EmmaWoodhouse May 16, 2013 at 02:30 #

Highlight of my year as well!!!! So many gorgeous gowns, always–am more excited than I can say! Yay for Cannes! Thanks in advance for your hard work, FC. Going to look at all the Day 1 looks now! :)

16. MarTom May 17, 2013 at 15:30 #

My wish list:
    A)Nicole Kidman Spring 2013 Couture Armani Privé Look 46 OR 54
    B)Mia Wasikowska Spring 2013 Couture Valentino Look 28(Not going to happen!)
    C) Tilda Swinton Spring 2012 Ready-to-Wear Vivienne Westwood Look a good modification of Look 51