09.05.13

Ashanti In Stella McCartney – A&E Networks 2013 Upfront

Ashanti In Stella McCartney - A&E Networks 2013 Upfront

Ashanti attended the A&E Networks 2013 Upfront event held at the Lincoln Center in New York City yesterday evening alongside Chloe Sevigny.

By now we have seen these Stella McCartney ‘Miracle’ dresses in several colours and lengths, but in celebville they’re just not getting old.

I will give Ashanti some credit for trying to freshen up the well-worn dress by adding leather sleeves to the look, but I am more distracted by her oversized jewelry.

Black Alaia sandals, which we recently saw on Jennifer Meyer, completed Ashanti’s look.

Do you like how Ashanti made this look her own with the leather sleeves?

You may remember that Kristen Stewart wore this same dress, sans leather sleeves, last year.

Ashanti Stella

Stella McCartney Dressfarfetch.com US, farfetch.com and Selfridges
Alaia SandalsNet-A-Porter.com

Credit: Getty

Camilla Belle In Carven - Tribeca Film Festival Awards Party

Camilla Belle In Carven – Tribeca Film Festival Awards Party

Thandie Newton In Stella McCartney - Jimmy Choo 'The Season' Dinner Party

Thandie Newton In Stella McCartney – Jimmy Choo ‘The Season’ Dinner Party

22 Responses to Ashanti In Stella McCartney – A&E Networks 2013 Upfront

1. Badaboum May 9, 2013 at 19:11 #

I am more distracted by the wig to be honest…

• Prudence May 11, 2013 at 00:12 #

ahah agreed.
      This whole look was overwhelmed by the bad hair, oversized earings and rings.

2. Rebecca Z May 9, 2013 at 19:19 #

This look is pretty tacky in my opinion. The jewelry is way too big, the leather shrug really overwhelms the dress, especially with the earrings and all that hair. About the only think I like here are her shoes and her makeup which I think is pretty.

3. Nat39 May 9, 2013 at 19:23 #

It’s her style, I guess, but everything about it – hair, makeup, jewellery, leather… screams cheap and lack of taste and sophistication to me. Love the sandals.

4. sammy May 9, 2013 at 19:25 #

Alicia Keys wore it better for me…Ashanti over accesorised it and her hair couldve been better tied up or somethings. This dress is more than enough on its own

5. dee May 9, 2013 at 19:42 #

I only like the sandals.

6. Christine May 9, 2013 at 19:49 #

Apart of me think it could work but looking at it again, I am not sure. I like the dress sans sleeves on Kristen. On the right person, the leather sleeves may work.

On a plus side. Love her ring and shoes.

• Yeliz May 9, 2013 at 20:03 #

I agree on all points.

• Beta May 10, 2013 at 07:49 #

the shoes are TDF!

7. Anissa May 9, 2013 at 20:50 #

Is her’s sheer on the sides or is the fabric just that good of a match to her skin tone?

• Ruth May 9, 2013 at 22:07 #

They’re sheer panels. If you click on the image above you’ll be directed to Getty Images which has a page of Ashanti at this event. Third row from the bottom she ditches the leather and you can see the seams of the panel.

I like what she’s wearing but I think the leather with the hair is a bit much and the look would have been better with an updo.

8. Paulyne May 9, 2013 at 21:40 #

I Don’t really like it but it’s not leather sleeves , it’s a leather vest : http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/ashanti-attends-the-a-e-networks-2013-upfront-on-may-8-2013-news-photo/168322972

9. TeaAtTwo May 10, 2013 at 00:30 #

I just don’t like her style at all. It’s so dated and flashy for me.

10. Alicat May 10, 2013 at 00:45 #

Just awful. The dress itself is ok but the way it is styled here makes it look cheap and nasty. The earrings and wig together take the whole thing right over the edge.

11. Amy May 10, 2013 at 00:48 #

the sleeves might work if you make them tighter and change the paneling to the same color.However this look is let down by the heavy jewels, the hair and the makeup.I do love the shoes though

12. Joy May 10, 2013 at 07:03 #

I must first confess that I am NOT a Stella McCartney fan. I know, you can hate me now. But sometimes, on a rare occasion I love one of her pieces.

This dress keeps coming back because it works. The style/cut of this dress is one of the few pieces of Stella’s that I really like. It has been great on most of the celebs that have worn it. I think it is great on Ashanti. We all know she likes accessories and bling, but I think this dress works for her. Her huge earrings and leather sleeves don’t bother me because I know this is part of her style. You should wear what you like, and I feel like this is the best she can look with all the bling. She actually looks elegant. For me, this is the best she has looked since forever.

• Beta May 10, 2013 at 07:50 #

count me on the not_stella mccartney fans. I dont get her, she has a couple of decent pieces but IMO I think she’s wildly overrated and so succesful because of her many celebrity friends.

13. AG May 10, 2013 at 10:51 #

Only like the shoes…

14. Pene May 10, 2013 at 12:30 #

She usually has perfect make up. what happened here

15. Adrian May 11, 2013 at 03:45 #

Love!

16. EmmaWoodhouse May 13, 2013 at 04:29 #

I like Kristen’s opaque sided dress better, and I don’t like Ashanti’s leather jacket. Her styling is too heavy on jewelry and hair…not loving it.