Met Gala Trend: Built-In Gloves

Met Gala Trend Built-In Gloves

Anti-establishment style was everywhere last night at the punk-themed 2013 Met Gala, where the ‘it’ list worked varying levels of sartorial subversion – from glam-rock to goth and grunge.

But there was also a select group of red-carpet rebels who armed themselves with one of the evening’s more unusual, nonconformist trends.

Their weapons of choice? Not spikes or studs, or even chainmail. Rather, they suited up in full-on punk protection mode with what can only be dubbed as glove-sleeves – full arm, hand and finger-covering extensions. (Practical, they are not.)

We saw these gown appendages in their most blatant form on a Givenchy-clad Kim Kardashian, who not only covered her baby bump in all-over floral, but also completely sleeved up in the moody, foreboding print.

The built-in glove extensions also appeared on Leelee Sobieski, who wore Christian Dior Couture and looked to be growing a gold-plated garden on her forearms and fingers.

It was Paloma Faith in a Michael Cinco design who gave us the best lesson in how to wear gown-gloves with her blood-red, ombre-effect masterpiece.

Is the trend worthy of a high-five, or is it outrageously out of hand?

Credit: Getty

Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Met Gala?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Met Gala?

11 Responses to Met Gala Trend: Built-In Gloves

1. Yeliz May 7, 2013 at 21:47 #

I liked Leelee’s Dior gloves when I saw them on the runway and I’m glad we had the chance to see them on the red carpet too. Paloma’s gloves aren’t bad either.

2. HM May 7, 2013 at 22:20 #

I agree with this post. Paloma does this trend the best, Leelee is alright whilst on Kim K it is just a big no-no.

P.S. I enjoyed every pun on this post…exactly how long did it take you to come up with all of them? Lol!

3. Anna Rios May 7, 2013 at 22:31 #

God…. did we really need to see Kim from another angle? The look is even more hideous than I thought.

4. Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 22:40 #

Paloma rocked this trend magnificently, the other two versions are awful. Kim is Kim but I’d expect more from Leelee – those yellow florals on her arms are anything but appealing and nonsensical.

5. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 23:32 #

Kim looked terrible.
    Leelee pulled it off.
    Paloma’s creeped me out.

6. Eliza May 7, 2013 at 23:43 #

It seems so impractical. If the gloves are really part of the sleeves, how are they to wash their hands? Do they have to get 1/2 undressed? If they can’t wash their hands – ewww.

7. Bella May 8, 2013 at 00:01 #

Paloma always gets it right for me.. And looks fab with her built-in gloved look.

8. harrison May 8, 2013 at 06:59 #

Lets be real though beyonce did built in gloves last year at the met in givenchy…

9. sara May 8, 2013 at 19:14 #

I think I may be the only one who doesn’t think that Kim looks so bad! Yes, the print is awful, but she took a risk and she does look pretty. I’m sure its not as easy dressing a curvier pregnant woman to make her look good and confident as it would be for someone like Giselle. But anyway, I think the more sheer gloves look beautiful on Leelee and of course, Paloma killed it! Gorg!

10. Jess2 May 9, 2013 at 12:10 #

Not one to favour Paloma’s looks, she really sold the built in gloves. I didn’t mind Leelee’s version either.

11. Dhppy May 10, 2013 at 21:13 #

This trend creeps me out. And not in a … “Hey! That’s so fashion forward, I love it” way.