07.05.13 Beauty, Makeup

Dramatic Eyes At The Met Gala: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Dramatic Eyes At The Met Gala The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Dramatic eyes were a big trend at last night’s Met Gala, and while some were absolutely stunning, others completely missed the mark. Everyone might not agree with me here, but I really feel that you can do punk and look attractive while doing it. Case in point, these three lovely ladies:

Good:
Hailee Steinfeld’s eyes were total showstoppers last night. Her green and black cat-eyed look was edgy but beautiful, and totally punk-esque.

Another real winner was the always-flawless Diane Kruger. Her silvery gray smokey eyes almost had an ombré effect, with the lightest silver at the inner corners and the darkest at the outer corners. Gorgeous!

And finally, we have Nina Dobrev, who sported an intensely winged upper lid and a silver-lined lower lid. Very high-fashion punk!

Bad:
You have to give Elle Fanning props for having fun, but her winged electric blue and pink eyeshadow is more little girl playing dress-up than fashion’s biggest night.

As for January Jones, her look reads far more alien warrior than punk! The disconnected triangular shape of her liner is quite harsh, and coupled with the grayed out eyebrows, she looks a little creepy.

Ugly:
Ginnifer Goodwin is always a fashion and beauty risk-taker, but this one simply did not pay off. The heavy black shadow from lash to brow, along with the heavily shaded brow may be daring, but it’s also unfortunate. The only place this look belongs is on a raccoon.

GBU

To get Hailee’s look:
Sephora Waterproof Smoky Cream Liner in Grass is Greener
Smashbox Waterproof Shadow Liner
Dolce & Gabanna The Eyeshadow Smooth Eye Colour Duo in Laguna
To get Diane’s look:
Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow in Gris Gris 034
To get Nina’s look:
NYX Cosmetics The Curve
Eylure Katy Perry Eyelashes in Oh Honey!
Benefit Longwear Powder Shadow in Blingo!
Credit: Getty

Wish List Wednesday

Wish List Wednesday

Met Gala Trend: Built-In Gloves

Met Gala Trend: Built-In Gloves

24 Responses to Dramatic Eyes At The Met Gala: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

1. Daria May 7, 2013 at 21:27 #

Punk isn’t about being pretty.

• Sara Ramos May 7, 2013 at 21:44 #

Exactly. Punk isn’t about pleasing anyone. It’s about rule breaking.

• Daria May 7, 2013 at 21:46 #

It’s laughable that the Met chose this theme at all considering punk is exactly the opposite of what these celebs embody. So I can’t expect any of them to get it right.

• GG May 7, 2013 at 23:43 #

+1. When it comes to punk the bad and the ugly are the ones that embodied the theme the most. Also I feel like if anything, punk is the theme that there’s really no such things as going “to far”. That’s what being punk is about. The goods in my opinion where safe and boring. You see that at every event. This is one event that calls for being edgy and taking risk and I thing Gennifer, January, and Elle nailed it.

• Paddy Mulholland May 7, 2013 at 22:13 #

Yup. Hailee, Diane, Nina, they didn’t go there like Elle, January and Ginnifer did. In fact, Ginnifer’s make-up sold her look to me, because I didn’t love her dress.

In the context of punk, ‘bad’ and ‘ugly’ are the compliments, ‘Attractive’? Well, I consider boldness and rebelliousness to be attractive features, so I applaud Ginnifer, January and the like for their choices.

• Evil Britta May 8, 2013 at 01:51 #

My thoughts exactly.

• Nat39 May 7, 2013 at 23:01 #

It’s a major red carpet event, not some dressup party, naturally the theme is to be played up with certain theme-relating elements within the reasonable limits, not to be taken too literally, in my opinion.

• Daria May 9, 2013 at 03:45 #

Considering nearly everyone picked a pretty, Oscar-worthy type of gown- taking a risk with your make-up would have been appreciated.

• Nat39 May 9, 2013 at 17:19 #

´Taking a risk´ has to be done right too. You can´t wear an elegant delicate gown or a cute dress (Diane, Hailee) and just throw a mohawk in the mix, it´s plain tasteless. It all has to work well together, JLo did it beautifully with her hair and makeup, SJP interpreted the theme artistically with her couture mohawk headpiece instead of the expected predictable punk hair-makeup combo (brilliant move, it worked perfectly with her Giles gown), like I said it´s a red carpet event not a costume party at your neighbor´s, be creative, don´t show up like a blast from the past.
          Hailee´s punk take on a cat eye was executed beautifully and it suited the rest of her look, I happen to agree with Emily L. Foley, Ginnifer´s hair and makeup were horrible, very poorly executed – those eyes aren´t punk, those are in fact ´ugly´ overdone racoon eyes and her ´mohawk´ looked more like toupee.

2. Vi May 7, 2013 at 21:30 #

Can’t agree. Your “good” are not punk at all. The “bad” are actually the ugly, not only in general, they are also badly done. And Ginifer, well I get it, it is a little too rocky horror, but the fact that there is perfect symmetry in her whole look, eyes+dress and also tons of punk attitude just makes me happy.

• Katey May 7, 2013 at 21:51 #

I agree. The “Good”s are just not punk. and The “bad”s are soo ugly.
      Ginnifer’s make up is not ugly at all. IT’s too heavy (It’s fact) but it’s perfect at the same time. and It works with her hair and dress. I like it.

• Marybeth May 7, 2013 at 22:18 #

Yes! Ginnifer’s look did not work for me but I would definitely not call it ugly. I agree with you that the make-up made sense with the dress.
        Besides, raccoons may be obnoxious, but they aren’t that ugly! ;)

Elle and January, OTOH, do look ugly with that make-up. Emily Blunt’s eye make-up was borderline ugly too, IMO. But then, as some commenters pointed out above, punk and pretty are often hard to reconcile.

• Catherine Kallon May 7, 2013 at 23:18 #

Oh come on…this was suppose to be a play on words…we all know the movie.

I’m really surprised that this has not been accepted in the manner in which is was intended…to be fun.

• Sara May 8, 2013 at 15:29 #

I thought it was most clever Catherine. Everyone is quite serious these days ;)

• Catherine Kallon May 9, 2013 at 17:55 #

3. Yeliz May 7, 2013 at 21:42 #

Nina’s and Hailee’s eyes were my favourites.

4. noo May 7, 2013 at 23:26 #

I loved january’s makeup. i think it looks new-age but it’s still very daring and this is the one night where the over the top risk takers are my favorite :D

5. EmmaWoodhouse May 7, 2013 at 23:31 #

I loved the top three, they were so pretty!!! Elle’s was too crazy, but January and Ginnifer kind of rocked the look imo.

6. Barbs May 8, 2013 at 10:41 #

“The only place this look belongs is on a raccoon.” LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL! You’re too funny :)

7. TeaAtTwo May 8, 2013 at 13:55 #

For me ‘The good’ all looked pretty and great for any occasion but the ‘The bad’ looks worked amazingly for this particular occasion – I actually loved January Jones going all out on the make up since her outfit was subdued. Ginnifer’s make-up wasn’t pretty but it was punk so she gets a thumbs up too.

8. Amy May 8, 2013 at 17:44 #

I liked January look,Elle is okay and Ginnifer was a little OTT. But yeah the good aren’t really punk, I don’t think they look different from the usual red carpet style

9. Jess May 8, 2013 at 21:21 #

January looks like a female Matt Smith….weird!

10. Dhppy May 10, 2013 at 21:05 #

I loved January’s makeup – though I think it’s a bit more glam rock than punk. I loved the fact that she went completely edgy.

11. @trendt00 May 14, 2013 at 08:22 #

January and Ginnifer’s make up was inspired by Siouxie and the Banshees a PUNK band! So IMO the look was so clever