Carey Mulligan In Lanvin – ‘The Great Gatsby’ World Premiere

Carey Mulligan In Lanvin - 'The Great Gatsby' New York Premiere

Carey Mulligan continued to work a barely there makeup look on the red carpet for the world premiere of ‘The Great Gatsby’ held at Avery Fisher Hall at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York City on Wednesday evening.

The actress wore a red Lanvin Fall 2013 structural double-bonded dress, which showed off her slender figure.

I hadn’t expected colour, so this bold red hue comes as a pleasant surprise, especially when the original dress was presented in black.

The styling was kept very simple, with the same Brian Atwood ‘Aida’ black sandals she wore the night before and stunning Tiffany jewels, including pear-shaped and round diamond cluster platinum earrings and a Tiffany Legacy diamond platinum ring.

If you were expecting razzle dazzle for this promo tour, you might be disappointed by this look for a world premiere.

Maybe that will come during Cannes where the movie opens the festival, but for now it looks like she is going to continue this minimalist approach.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Katy Perry In Versace & Sachin + Babi - Out In New York City

Katy Perry In Versace & Sachin + Babi – Out In New York City

Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned of Qatar In Valentino Couture - Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands Party

Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned of Qatar In Valentino Couture – Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands Party

30 Responses to Carey Mulligan In Lanvin – ‘The Great Gatsby’ World Premiere

1. Rashmi May 2, 2013 at 10:20 #

Love the color, but was really expecting something more from her!!

• Christine May 2, 2013 at 16:41 #

Me too. I guess our expectations were high. Simple look, boring yes. Love the color though.

2. Alicat May 2, 2013 at 10:24 #

Frou frou is not her style, so this elegant, simplicity suits her personality. She looks stunning. It shows that she can wear a really standout colour.

3. Charlotte May 2, 2013 at 10:24 #

I like the color and the top of the dress but the skirt part is not great. It doesn’t fit her.
    Some accessories are missing here, some earrings or a bracelet would have been great.

4. Paulyne May 2, 2013 at 10:29 #

I love the color but i’m so disappointed. I mean, she is the star of the movie so i was expecting more from her. For me , Nina Dobrev and Isla Fisher outshone her while Nina doesn’t play in the movie and Isla play a supporting role. It’s a shame for Carey. I really hope she will do better for Cannes.

• anne g May 2, 2013 at 10:39 #

Carey is discrete and low-key, it is his nature, She don’t have to be a famewhore

• Paulyne May 2, 2013 at 10:44 #

I don’t want her to be a famewhore and i’m sorry if it’s what you understood of my comment , i just wanted her to do a little more since she is the star of the movie and that this is the world premiere.

• NotAGirl May 2, 2013 at 12:07 #

I was watching the live stream and Nina was posing really horribly. I didn’t even care what she was wearing. Sometimes it’s just the way you carry yourself that makes you stand out. I personally thought Isla’s dress was messy.

• Beta May 2, 2013 at 12:20 #

+1 totally, this is a dissapointment :P

• dee May 2, 2013 at 13:34 #

I completely agree.

5. CreoleLady May 2, 2013 at 10:55 #

I like the dress, especially the color, and I like blondes in red. Yet, this little girl demeanor and uninspired styling suck all of the potential out of this look.

6. Yeliz May 2, 2013 at 10:58 #

I expected a tad more for a world premiere, so this look is kinda boring to me. The colour is gorgeous though.

7. Noemi May 2, 2013 at 11:17 #

I didn’t expected something particularly interesting, honestly. I like the color of the dress but not the shape. The jewelry is so understated… No, I don’t like it and most of all, I think she looks better with bangs or at least not this type of hairstyle, her forehead seems too wide.
    I don’t even look forward to see what she will wear in Cannes, just hope DiCaprio will be there.

8. ash May 2, 2013 at 11:55 #

I’m disappointed,especially with the shoes,of course. I wish she’d wear something like…a sparkle gown or something, not a dress like this. :(

9. NotAGirl May 2, 2013 at 12:06 #

I’m glad she doesn’t over accessorise like the rest of Hollywood. Less is more. I was expecting more at first, but you have to think about the person first. It suits HER.

10. Fiona-Brasil May 2, 2013 at 12:42 #

Actually, the dress is nice, but doesn’t do her any favors.She looks weird, out of proportion. Also the length of the dress is wrong,with those hideous black sandals, not a winning look!

11. Emmeline May 2, 2013 at 12:44 #

It’s so wonderful to see her finally wearing some color. I also think that on this occasion her nude makeup works, she doesn’t look washed out the way she has at other recent events.

12. Neli May 2, 2013 at 12:48 #

soooo boring. Nina looks much better than her.

13. Scarlett May 2, 2013 at 13:10 #

I’m really surprised she didn’t wear Prada actually. They’ve made such a big deal about Prada’s involvement with the film and she’s more or less a Prada pin-up girl, I mean they even did her wedding dress, that I really would have put money on Prada last night, not Lanvin. It’s very nice, but minimal and quite underwhelming. For a film that is so inherently glam and luxurious I guess I just expected to be dazzled by her a little more. I truly hope she steps it up in Cannes.

14. TeaAtTwo May 2, 2013 at 14:39 #

I adore minimalism and for a photocall or interview I would love this but for the occasion it feels underwhelming.

15. fromchi-town May 2, 2013 at 14:46 #

First off, she is wearing color and thats a big change. I understand that her style mantra is minimalist and understated… but this is too casual for a premiere. Maybe would have worked for a press interview or something.

16. Prudence May 2, 2013 at 18:36 #

I actually scrolled passed this looking for her and I am completely shocked by this!! Are you not the lead actress who is getting vogue covers left and right because this is such a massive movie and you show up looking like an extra??? Is this her trying to make a fashion statement by toning it down….I mean there is toning it down and then there is straight up disappearance which is what this is.

17. Nat39 May 2, 2013 at 19:01 #

Great vibrant colour and that’s it. It’s way too plain, dull and lackluster, very disappointing.

• gabis May 2, 2013 at 20:34 #

18. rita May 2, 2013 at 20:05 #

What happened to her?! She has lost SO MUCH WEIGHT! She used to have curves and all, now she looks DOWNRIGHT GAUNTY! Hence the reason she lost her mojo imo. What’s wrong with Hollywood asking women to look like skeletons :-(

• Carla May 3, 2013 at 00:09 #

I have to agree. I know we don’t talk about bodies here, but I think such a simple silhouette needs some curves to create visual interest. On her extremely slender body, the dress has no definition whatsoever besides the neckline.

19. Aline May 2, 2013 at 21:46 #

The premiere is the ultimate event to promote and sell a movie, so, as the leading actress, it’s her job to do so. And you just don’t sell Daisy Buchanan wearing this. She does look nice and polished and it would’ve been all right for a photocall. But for the premiere? No, this is all kinds of wrong.

She could’ve easily opted for something minimalistic that would still look glamourous enough. I’m bummed.

• Alina May 3, 2013 at 11:04 #

ITA.

20. kane May 2, 2013 at 22:46 #

I’m a bit disappointed as well. By comparison I even found her radical, if a bit dull look from the dress opening more interesting.

21. EmmaWoodhouse May 3, 2013 at 13:16 #

It would be a nice photocall look, minimalist chic. But this is a world premiere! I would really have liked to see her do something fab that was still her style (see her paillete dress from last year’s Met! That was awesome!)