01.05.13

Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

Royals 1

There was yet more fashion to be had from our favourite royals, who joined Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser al Missned at the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands yesterday afternoon.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway: Valentino would be considered one of Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s favourite designers, so I was not surprised to see her don one of their looks for this festivity. Her Fall 2013 white-and-blue gown featuring beaded embroidery, which was presented as a mini dress, was decorated with royal family orders and accessorized with another delightfully subtle tiara featuring ivory-and-blue lace floral accents.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark: My queen opted for a Charlotte Lynggaard white silk dress with a floral print on the skirt and waist, which she styled with the same Prada pumps and Bottega Veneta clutch. On this occasion, she added a blue netted fascinator instead of the more traditional tiara. While this might be considered fairly laidback, she is the epitome of elegance.

Royal 2

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall: Many of you will no doubt consider this look much improved over Sunday night’s look. Camilla wore a duck-egg-blue long-sleeved gown, which was her second Bruce Oldfield look of these festivities. The beaming duchess topped off her look with a Philip Treacy feathered hat. She does love a big headpiece.

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau: Like Camilla, Mabel opted to wear the same designer she wore to the dinner, donning a Viktor & Rolf black gown with a white bow accented sleeve. While she’s proving to be quite the fashion risk taker, I don’t love this look for an occasion where everyone else is wearing such summery frocks.

Royals 3

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden: Looking effortlessly chic in a beaded keyhole Escada frock, I love the scene-stealing Philip Treacy hat.

Crown Princess Letizia of Spain: Faring much better, Letizia was the epitome of elegance, wearing a pale-blue lace Varela gown with sheer sleeves. The simple yet stunning creation was styled with Margriet sandals and a Maria Nieto hat.

Emma Roberts' Giorgio Armani Swarovski Embroidered Clutch

Emma Roberts’ Giorgio Armani Swarovski Embroidered Clutch

Lena Dunham In Theyskens’ Theory - 2013 Actors Fund Gala

Lena Dunham In Theyskens’ Theory – 2013 Actors Fund Gala

37 Responses to Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

1. Jess2 May 1, 2013 at 13:24 #

Crown Princesses Victoria and Letizia are perfection, and we all know how I feel about the always elegant Princess Mary :)

2. Yeliz May 1, 2013 at 13:28 #

Princess Mary, Princess Victoria and Princess Letizia are my favourites with Mary being in the first place. They look absolutely gorgeous and regal.

3. molly May 1, 2013 at 13:38 #

Princess Mabel wore black because she is in mourning over her husband, Prince Frisco, who has been in coma for the past year. The black symbolizes mourning while the white is a symbol of hope for the new king and queen.
    Its a tricky dress code to adhere to but overall I think the ladies did a great job. Victoria and Letizia were my best dressed.

• noo May 1, 2013 at 15:25 #

Letizia was my best dressed too!

as for mabel, i understand that she is mourning but she wore a red fringe dress the night before so she could have tried something less boring for the inauguration!

• Colleen May 1, 2013 at 15:34 #

I was going to mention this. They say that she has barely left his side since the accident, so to see her out and about is wonderful.

I adore Crown Princess Victoria (I can’t explain why, I just do!), so she is my favorite followed by Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

• Sarah May 1, 2013 at 17:26 #

Regarding Mabel’s dress and her sad situation, I heard from various sources that the white material and bow are actually from her wedding dress. I think the contrast of black and the white from her wedding gown makes a poignant statement about what she’s going through. Definitely brought a tear to my eye.

• Beta May 2, 2013 at 12:34 #

+1 Letizia looks great, and Victoria also looks lovely

4. dee May 1, 2013 at 13:52 #

My favorites again are Princess Mary and Princess Leticia.

5. Maria May 1, 2013 at 13:55 #

CP Victoria is wearing Escada

• Catherine Kallon May 2, 2013 at 11:01 #

thanks

6. Fiona May 1, 2013 at 14:54 #

I love Princess Mary’s dress, very different from everyone else but still appropriate, elegant and the most fashionable for me. Thanks for showing all these amazing pictures of this amazing Royal event, it has been great to see some amazing gowns and jewels in another arena than Hollywood.

7. Moxie May 1, 2013 at 15:05 #

I love Princess Mary’s gown. So different from what you normally see. And Princess Letizia would be my next favorite.

8. Christine May 1, 2013 at 15:45 #

I like Crown Princess Letizia of Spain And Mary of Denmark look.

9. Anissa May 1, 2013 at 15:52 #

I love both Princess Mary and Crown Princess Letizia, but I was wondering if there is any reason why Princess Mary and her husband have their sashes on the opposite side from everyone else? I would assume there is some significance to that…

• Kath May 1, 2013 at 16:26 #

I checked this out, and each sash is actually called an “order of . . .” depending on which country the wearer of the order (sash) is representing. As Mary is from Denmark, she and her husband wear the Order of the Elephant (a light blue sash worn over the left shoulder). Most orders (sashes) from most other royal families are worn over the right shoulder. Hope that makes sense?

• Anissa May 1, 2013 at 17:00 #

Thanks, that does help. I figured there was a specific reason (they have so many rules) for the difference.
        I thought I noticed the little elephants too, but it’s interesting Denmark of all places would use that animal…

• Pati May 1, 2013 at 20:51 #

In 1500s, the Vatican, had a white pet elephant named Hanno. The elephant was a gift from the Portuguese king to Pope Leo X who took it to Catholic processions and even got dedicated to a memorial mural upon its death on 8 June 1516. Luther strongly disapproved of the Pope’s pet elephant and saw it as yet another example of the Catholic Church’s excesses. However, Luther’s condemnation did not prevent the use of elephant as a Protestant symbol in many countries – including Denmark. In Denmark, the elephant is best known from the Elephantordnen, Denmark’s oldest and most prestigious order of chivalry. Elephant has its origins in a brotherhood founded by Christian I & called “the Brotherhood of the Trinity, Jesus’ suffering and the Virgin Mary.”
          After the Reformation, many Danes distanced from the Catholic Church, and Frederik II renamed the brotherhood and the order that became “Order of the Elephant”, where the tower-bearing elephants became a symbol of God’s stronghold.

10. kane May 1, 2013 at 15:56 #

Victoria and Letizia would be my favourites here. What a difference a dress makes in the case of the latter. She looks much better to me.

11. EmmaWoodhouse May 1, 2013 at 16:06 #

Mary and Letizia are going on my BDOTY list. Victoria’s hat is fab.

12. Moody Crab May 1, 2013 at 16:53 #

Ugh. Camilla should invest in a good bra. She looks poorly with the loopy boobs. Ladies, strong, uplifting bra literally uplifts your look. Yes, pun intended.

• Yinka May 1, 2013 at 19:21 #

My thoughts exactly, she desperately needs a good bra!

13. Erin May 1, 2013 at 16:54 #

In defence of Princess Mabel, her husband has been in a coma, and I believe she wore black for that reason. Watching online, the Dutch commentary thought so as well.

14. Regina May 1, 2013 at 18:20 #

Victoria for the win, also, all the men look silly except her husband.

15. Jai May 1, 2013 at 18:40 #

Considering the restrictions places on Princess Mary’s fashion choices, I’d have to say she’s one of the best-dressed people featured on this sight, full stop.

16. Grace Patricia May 1, 2013 at 18:59 #

I always love Princess Mary’s style! My favorite royal is always keeping things intersting and unexpected. Not boring at all! I just wish Princess Victoria and Princess Letizia could’ve opted for not going so monochromatic, it’s a down for me.

17. Jenny May 1, 2013 at 19:57 #

It’s brilliant that Princess Mette-Marit chose one of the Delftware-print dresses from Valentino’s Fall 2013 Dutch-inspired collection! I wish Maxima had thought to, although I suppose she had to wear a Dutch designer!

18. Kyriaki - Cyprus May 1, 2013 at 20:03 #

I see I am one of the few who doesn’t like Princess Mary’s gown- something to do with the belt. Her dinner gown was way better.
    Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is definitely my favourite here.

• Pati May 1, 2013 at 20:57 #

Nope, not the only one. I don’t like the dress at all. It’s the sleeves and the boxing champion belt that are the real deal breakers for me. Victoria was by far my best dressed.

19. Valerie May 1, 2013 at 20:37 #

Princess Mabel used a piece of fabric from her wedding dress in this gown, which is indeed black as a sign of mourning.
    That said, i love Mary of Denmark! She is always appropiate, yet modern and never boring. I also liked Mathilde of belgium, who is not featured here.

20. Dhppy May 1, 2013 at 21:28 #

Princess Mary has guts to take such a stylish departure! She looks sensational. But what is going on with her husband’s pants? They’re a slouchy mess.

Princess Letizia also looks fantastic. Her lace looks so fresh and up to date. Bonus points for carrying off that hat.

21. TeaAtTwo May 2, 2013 at 00:28 #

Princesses Letizia and Mette-Marit are my favourites followed by Princess Mary.

22. AG May 2, 2013 at 09:02 #

Mary always looks flawless, and this is no exception! I love how she’s not afraid to embrace colour and interesting designs. After seeing these pics yesterday I spent a rather embarrassing amount of time googling her past outfits!

23. Josefine May 2, 2013 at 10:14 #

Victora wears a escada dress and a tracy philip hat

• Catherine Kallon May 2, 2013 at 11:01 #

24. Louise May 3, 2013 at 11:38 #

LOVE Princess Mary. Flawless as always.

25. Rose May 6, 2013 at 20:19 #

Dear Catherine,

I’m from Holland, so maybe my English is a bit broken. Sorry for that!

I love your website, and I always check it.

I read the comment about princess Mabels dress, and I’m sorry, but I could not agree with you.
    You said: I don’t love this look for an occasion where everyone else is wearing such summery frocks.

But Mabel almost lost her husband, prince Friso, a brother of king Willem-Alexander of Holland, with an accident, in february 2012, in Lech, Austria.

The dress of prince Mabel was a reference to her husband, especially with the white bow at one side of the dress. Mabels wedding dress (also from Viktor&Rolf) was dotted with bows.
    And because she almost lust her husband, she was wearing a black dress, because of the grief.
    The chance that prince Friso still wakes up, is extremely small…

The absence of prince Friso was a very big absence, which everyone could feel, although the day was very beautiful.

I’m really very sorry if I hurt you with my words and my criticism about your comment.
    But I hope that you understand why I’m leaving a comment.

Thank you for your time, and I wish you the best for your blog.

Yours sincerely,