Carey Mulligan In Prada - Catherine Martin and Miuccia Prada 'The Great Gatsby' Dresses Opening Exhibit

The Prada New York Epicenter at 575 Broadway in New York City was transformed last night for the opening of a special exhibition of selected costumes designed by Miuccia Prada and costume designer Catherine Martin for Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming film adaptation of ‘The Great Gatsby’.

Carey Mulligan was, of course, in attendance as the female lead in the movie and showing support to the designer, who also created her wedding dress.

The British actress wore a black long-sleeved Prada embroidered dress from the much loved Fall 2008 collection, which features a ruffled detail cascading down her shoulder to the hem of the dress on one side; on the opposite side the satin-backed ruffle starts from the hip.

Opting once again for a makeup-free, neutral look and no jewels, Prada platform sandals completed her look.

The exhibition opening coincides with the world premiere of Luhrmann’s movie ‘The Great Gatsby’, which takes place tonight in New York.

Are you hoping Carey hires a makeup artist before then, or are you loving this refreshing ‘plain Jane’ look?

Queen Máxima of the Netherlands In Jan Taminiau – Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands Water Pageant

Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser al Missned of Qatar In Valentino Couture - Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser al Missned of Qatar In Valentino Couture – Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

18 Responses to Carey Mulligan In Prada – Catherine Martin and Miuccia Prada ‘The Great Gatsby’ Dresses Opening Exhibit

1. Yeliz May 1, 2013 at 12:13 #

I’m hoping that she hires a makeup artist for tonight’s premiere. This is a nice and chic look but also a bit dull.

2. Emmeline May 1, 2013 at 12:37 #

She badly needs a makeup artist, this washed out look isn’t flattering.

I also hope she and her stylist remember that black isn’t the only color. Because other than the Queen’s reception last month, I’m pretty sure everything she’s worn this year has been black (Grammy’s, Brit Awards, etc.).

3. Maria S. May 1, 2013 at 12:37 #

Since the dress is all black, I appreciate the fresh face. It makes her look youthful and beautiful all on her own :D

4. Martin May 1, 2013 at 12:41 #

I love this look. Chic, understated and graceful. And the bare face totally works for me – it has a freshness and lack of pretension which is really refreshing. And if anyone can pull it off, it’s Carey.

5. bm May 1, 2013 at 13:12 #

Much better than her last outing.

6. Mandy May 1, 2013 at 13:27 #

She is an extraordinarily beautiful women who does not need make up imo but i do hope she glams up for the premiere. And i hope its not black i really want some colour.

7. dee May 1, 2013 at 13:39 #

I think a nice pinkish lip color would have been nice but I still like her look.

8. Neli May 1, 2013 at 14:45 #

boring

9. Noemi May 1, 2013 at 14:52 #

The dress looks more like a coat. I think she looks a bit ill, honestly, and this kind of hairstyle is not flattering. I’m looking forward to see what she will wear for the premiere, but, honestly, I’m more interesting to see DiCaprio!

10. Noemi May 1, 2013 at 14:53 #

The dress looks more like a coat. I think she looks a bit ill, honestly, and this kind of hairstyle is not flattering. I’m looking forward to see what she will wear for the premiere, but, honestly, I’m more interested in DiCaprio!

11. Christine May 1, 2013 at 15:47 #

This is such a dull boring look.

12. EmmaWoodhouse May 1, 2013 at 16:01 #

I think she looks pretty even if I’m not super excited.

13. DSI May 1, 2013 at 16:10 #

She looks ill and pale,imo– as if she has just been discharged from a hospital bed!

14. Rebecca Z May 1, 2013 at 16:37 #

I would prefer some color in her face to offset the black. I like the dress, but agree that some color would be nice.

15. NotAGirl May 1, 2013 at 17:20 #

She hardly looks like a plain jane! It’s so refreshing to see someone not overdo it with the makeup and accessories.

16. justme May 1, 2013 at 20:45 #

Nobody, and I do mean nobody, needs makeup but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t wear it either.
    Or in Carey’s case go the “nude” makeup way.

I’m sorry but she looks washed out and much older than she is. And her perpetual aging clothing choices aren’t helping matters.
    Honestly, I can’t wait for her to be in her 40’s.

17. TeaAtTwo May 2, 2013 at 00:05 #

I like her Katie Grand approach of ‘it’s all about the clothes’ with the minimal make-up. Her looks are always elegant and chic even with consistent black choices.

18. Aline May 2, 2013 at 22:02 #

This is a very interesting and beautiful dress. I also love her hair in this occasion.