Zoe Saldana In Balmain – ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Berlin Premiere

Zoe Saldana In Balmain - ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Berlin Premiere

There is one thing that Zoe Saldana does well and that is outdo herself.

We were all swooning at her red carpet return, wearing Calvin Klein at the ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Berlin photocall, then she goes one better at the movie’s premiere, held at the Sony Center in Potsdamer Platz in Berlin on Monday evening.

She stunned wearing a Balmain Pre-Fall 2013 ensemble.

The look featured a pink-and-gold-embroidered leather top with a hot-pink high-waisted tulip-shaped draped skirt.

Factor in a sleek centre-parted ‘do and a sleek black manicure and you have one hot look, however, I am not a fan of the leather back.

Not wanting to continue to rain on this parade, I do wish her black mesh Christian Louboutin ‘Pigaresille’ pointy pumps had been better colour coordinated to the front of her dress.

Is the leather back a deal breaker for you?

43 Comments
Queen Máxima of the Netherlands In Natan - Royal Investiture

Queen Máxima of the Netherlands In Natan – Royal Investiture

Queen Máxima of the Netherlands In Jan Taminiau - Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

Queen Máxima of the Netherlands In Jan Taminiau – Inauguration Of King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands

43 Responses to Zoe Saldana In Balmain – ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Berlin Premiere

1. Charlotte April 30, 2013 at 15:15 #

This dress is awful ! The color, the print, the fabric… everything is absolutely awful.
    That said, the skirt is way too short and the top make her look wider than she is.
    I keep this look in mind for the worst of the year.

• kane April 30, 2013 at 15:18 #

I agree–the leather back is the least of her problems.

• kane April 30, 2013 at 15:19 #

…although… I find it strangely event-appropriate.

• Leti April 30, 2013 at 16:31 #

I totally agree. The skirt is the worst part for me–the fabric is atrocious and bulbous, and the cut is trashy. I liked it better with pants underneath.

• dee April 30, 2013 at 16:41 #

I completely agree. This is so awful.

2. Dhruvi April 30, 2013 at 15:17 #

I don’t mind the leather back but I’m not a fan of the length or fabric of that skirt. And I agree with you in that those shoes aren’t right.

Dhruvi

3. Christine April 30, 2013 at 15:18 #

At first glance, I thought this was a bit too much, too strong. But the more I look at it. I love it. only Zoe can pull this off with such ease and sass. I wish the shoes were in a different color/tone.

She looks like a glamazon. If that is a word LOL.

• Quinn April 30, 2013 at 17:24 #

yup, I agree with you. if anyone can pull this off it’s this girl!

• adrian April 30, 2013 at 20:48 #

+2 – stunning!

4. Prudence April 30, 2013 at 15:18 #

omg I loved this dress until u mentioned the leather back….what were they thinking. from the front I love this look, I dont even mind the shoes for once because this is such a fab little get up!!

5. bm April 30, 2013 at 15:20 #

Loathe from the neck-down. Much prefer the Calvin Klein look (minus the shoes). The usually perfect Zoe, is not so perfect on this city. Hope she will redeem herself at another city.

6. Moxie April 30, 2013 at 15:21 #

Love the top, but the skirt is too short and shiny.

7. Bibi April 30, 2013 at 15:30 #

At the first glance I absolutely loved it. Aaaaand then I saw the leather back. Now it’s just meh.

8. mirela April 30, 2013 at 15:36 #

I absolutely love it. My BDOTW!

• Beta April 30, 2013 at 15:59 #

+1 love it, she’s a stunner!

• SkirtTheIssue May 3, 2013 at 12:16 #

Don’t get the hate- I think she looks great too!

9. Yeliz April 30, 2013 at 15:36 #

I much prefer her photocall look.

10. From Russia With Love April 30, 2013 at 15:37 #

I love it. I have yet to see a person who works Roustening’s overworked overembellished ultramini pieces. Zoe is the first one who made me love Balmain in years.

• CreoleLady April 30, 2013 at 17:49 #

Lol, loved your description of the Balmain aesthetic. This is not one of my favorites but I think you are right — Zoe is one of the few who can pull off one of these ultra minis.

I didn’t realize the back was black leather but now that I know, the shoes make more sense. Plus she’s channeling Lt Uhura here. Minis are a female crew uniform option on Trek (purely practical I’m sure, *eye roll*) and Uhura wears red. So although I do not love this look, I do like it.

11. Sarah April 30, 2013 at 15:45 #

I absolutely love this look !! In fact, imo, Zoe is one of the few – if not the one – who can pull off a Balmain look without looking ‘too much’. And i think this colour suits her so well, don’t you think ?

12. justme April 30, 2013 at 15:47 #

I think she looks amazeballs.

Like you, FC, when I saw the black back, I cringed and it made me pause in my love for this outfit. But imo, the leather and the mesh of her shoes really work together. So I can deal with it.

I know the length police is going to complain but her skirt is what my fashion dreams are made of. I love it.

13. Neli April 30, 2013 at 16:44 #

She looks absolutely stunning! BDOTW contender! I want her legs, her face OMG!!

14. Isa April 30, 2013 at 17:10 #

I love this! Quite unexpected for a premiere look, but Zoe pulls it off amazingly. Between this and her Calvin Klein look, I’m looking forward to her promo looks.

15. Rebecca Z April 30, 2013 at 17:35 #

This is not typically my taste–not a big fan of the tulip skirt especially that short, but it is really cute on her, especially for the premier of this scifi film. It looks like a futuristic party dress. I think it is amusing, fits her beautifully, and though I might have preferred it without the black back, I like the black under her arms.

• Quinn May 1, 2013 at 09:50 #

‘….especially for the premier of this scifi film.’ That’s what went through my mind when i was reading all the hates comment. I’m like c’mon, this is a sci-fi film she’s just dressed according to the theme! she’s rocking it!

16. Amanda April 30, 2013 at 17:45 #

I don’t get her hype, she’s far from being a fashion icon.

17. Nat39 April 30, 2013 at 17:53 #

I love it, my only complaint is that the skirt is way too short. Zoe is rocking it (!!)

18. Kathy April 30, 2013 at 18:34 #

When I saw the front view, I literally shook with excitement. What an amazing, perfect use of color & tailoring! I loved the gold and pink. Then I saw the back…it was such a huge disappointment. Granted, anything Balmain usually incorporates leather, so I should have known, but with such a bright color scheme? What were they thinking? It’s not coherent at all.

19. DSI April 30, 2013 at 19:20 #

too costumey on her! She is not owing it. It looks much better on the model

20. Pati April 30, 2013 at 19:44 #

To me this is plain ugly.

21. fromchi-town April 30, 2013 at 20:02 #

Don’t like this look at all. The length doesn’t work and I don’t even like the dress.

22. mirela April 30, 2013 at 20:12 #

And I love the fact that she always surprises. Of course one thing is expected: she will always look amazing.

23. Melrose April 30, 2013 at 20:37 #

A+ outfit. So fierce!

She werqs it so well. It’s show-stopper GLAM all the way. I kinda like the leather back too.

24. Taylor April 30, 2013 at 20:58 #

Love…she’s owning this look as much as she did the Calvin Klein.

25. TeaAtTwo April 30, 2013 at 22:58 #

The skirt is perilously close to indecent exposure but she is rocking this look. At first glance I loved but even zoe can’t me love the back of the top.

26. EmmaWoodhouse April 30, 2013 at 23:41 #

This should have been worn as a peplum top, NOT as a dress. That skirt is just WAY too short–I’m getting a very risque and trashy vibe from it. As presented on the model, I can see Zoe pulling it off in a way (even though it’s not my style). The leather back isn’t bothering me, though. It’s that skirt.

27. Alicat May 1, 2013 at 00:04 #

I love the top and I think the black leather back adds to it. Teaming it with this fussy, little skirt detracts from its impact. Even with her fantastic legs, the skirt is way too short. A rare miss for Ms Saldana.

28. taksi May 1, 2013 at 01:49 #

I don’t like the outfit but it’s hard to make things look bad on Zoe Saldana. So while I don’t really like any of the pieces, the only thing I can really complain about is the length of the skirt. Way too short!

29. Aline May 1, 2013 at 07:17 #

No, to me the leather back isn’t a dealbreaker, but her hair is. It just looks too severe for such a sassy dress.

But I like it from the neck down.

30. Pablo May 1, 2013 at 10:42 #

I’ll give her credit for making me not hate a dress I would normally loathe.

31. Anne May 1, 2013 at 12:37 #

I love it! BDOTW contender for me.

32. gabis May 2, 2013 at 21:20 #

She looks fantastic. Zoe can make a Balmain work like no other. Love it!

33. Jing Xiang May 3, 2013 at 07:07 #

Despite some negative comments we received, we can’t deny that Zoe Saldana looks leggy-licious in this sequinned long-sleeved blouse and fuschia wrap skirt combo by Balmain!!! Love how she pulled her hair back into a sleek bun and opt for smokey eyes and mesh panels her which shows off her long legs to perfection!!! Zoe likes to take fashion risk and it pays off really well, the leather back doesn’t bother me because she looks absolutely stunning!!! Hope Zoe Saldana will gives us more high glamour on the rest of the promo lour!! Long live Zoe Saldana!!