Who Wore Alice + Olivia Better…Mena Suvari or Bella Thorne?

Who Wore Alice + Olivia Better Mena Suvari and Bella Thorne

Amping up the retro feel of her Alice + Olivia strapless printed dress with a full-skirt, Mena Suvari added vibrant red Brian Atwood pumps and a matching lip colour to her look for the Australian premiere of ‘American Pie: Reunion’ back in March of 2012.

Just over a year later, Disney star Bella Thorne wore the same dress, which she belted, to the LA premiere of ‘The Host’.

Also opting to wear her hair up and apply a red lip colour, Bella styled her look with black strappy sandals.

I was captivated by Mena’s styling then, and that still applies now – she wins by a long mile for me.

Credit: Getty

Alessandra Ambrosio's Siwy Denim 'Lana' Sleeveless Top And Isabel Marant 'Silea' Paisley Skirt

Alessandra Ambrosio’s Siwy Denim ‘Lana’ Sleeveless Top And Isabel Marant ‘Silea’ Paisley Skirt

Reese Witherspoon In Saint Laurent - 'Mud' New York Screening

Reese Witherspoon In Saint Laurent – ‘Mud’ New York Screening

10 Responses to Who Wore Alice + Olivia Better…Mena Suvari or Bella Thorne?

1. Nell April 23, 2013 at 09:53 #

Have to disagree with you. I love how Bella’s strappy sandals make a grid on her feet that complements the grid print on the dress. And her cute blunt bangs wins over Mena’s sophisticated and sleek updo, embracing the sweetness of the dress.

• asherlev1 April 23, 2013 at 10:21 #

+100

• Moxie April 23, 2013 at 15:07 #

+200 :)

2. Yeliz April 23, 2013 at 10:24 #

Mena wins for me as well.

3. AG April 23, 2013 at 14:30 #

Hmm, tough choice. I feel like I prefer Bella’s hairstyle, but Mena’s stronger red lip. The killer is the clunky pumps Mena is wearing. Despise that style of shoe, so I might have to give the win to Bella.

4. EmmaWoodhouse April 23, 2013 at 15:53 #

Mena, for though I prefer Bella’s hairstyle, I like Mena’s pops of red and the fit of the dress on her.

5. Marybeth April 23, 2013 at 16:25 #

It’s a very nice dress and they both styled it well!

I do prefer the dress on Mena. The fit and length of the bodice is better and she was able to keep the black hem. It’s a far more sophisticated look than Bella’s and she brings punch and attitude.

Bella, OTOH, keeps it simple and flirty. (She was probably wise to cut off the black hem as it would weigh her down.) Her shoes complement the dress beautifully, without being either boring or distracting. Her red hair provides enough color to avoid the look being too monotone.

I think they both chose excellent hairstyles, each being appropriate to the look they were going for.

I definitely vote for Mena but I can’t fault Bella.
    They both succeeded on their own terms.

6. Dhppy April 23, 2013 at 19:22 #

I much prefer Thorne’s choice of shoe. I also prefer her flirtier vibe to Suvari’s more serious tone.

7. Nat39 April 23, 2013 at 19:42 #

Mena Suvari EASILY. The dress is fantastic on her and her styling is spot-on – with the print like this you don’t need a strap-busy sandal, a vibrant colour pop is what works best against it. The choice of solid red pumps is wonderful, Mena is perfection (hair, makeup, everything..), she really brought this look to life with her fabulous styling, I remember she was my best dressed that week.

• Nat39 April 23, 2013 at 20:10 #

…whereas I wouldn’t have even suggested Bella for bdotw poll with that styling, she totally killed the adorable retro feel of the dress with those sandals while Mena brought it out so charmingly.