Christian Dior Spring 2013 Couture Shanghai Fashion Show

Dior Shanghai Spring 2013 Couture

As Asia is such an important market for fashion brands, Christian Dior headed east to present their Spring 2013 Haute Couture collection at Five on the Bund in Shanghai, China on Saturday, inviting several of our favourite Asian actresses who all wore looks from the Dior Spring 2013 ready-to-wear collection.

Zhang Ziyi: The Asian superstar took her front-row seat wearing a look from the Spring 2013 ready-to-wear collection, which has been so successful on the red carpet. She selected a yellow-gold paillette dress with a layered tulle overlay. This look would’ve been amazing if she had worn the runway belt. As presented, Zhang looks very boxy.

Shu Qi: Taking a more masculine approach, Shu Qi wore a Dior charcoal-grey tuxedo dress with notched lapels and a pleated skirt with shimmering blue and pink panels. Not only do I not get the dress, but I also don’t understand the styling choice of adding patterned tights. A very rare miss for Shu Qi.

Angelababy: Even Angelababy can’t make this collection work. All I see here is a lot of fabric posing as a tri-coloured strapless Dior dress, and a solid effort to lift the look with pink Dior sandals and a grey Miss Dior bag; sadly, those efforts are to no avail.

Sun Li: The actress is the only one who gets a pass from me. While we have seen this Dior strapless tuxedo dress before on Allison Williams, this is the only dress that worked on this red carpet; of course, it is hard to go wrong with an LBD.

Do any of these looks work for you? In answer to my own question, “No.”

Christian Dior Spring 2013

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jessica Alba In Kenzo - Red Medicine

Jessica Alba In Kenzo – Red Medicine

Megan Gale In Bottega Veneta - 2013 Prix de Marie Claire Awards

Megan Gale In Bottega Veneta – 2013 Prix de Marie Claire Awards

22 Responses to Christian Dior Spring 2013 Couture Shanghai Fashion Show

1. Rashmi April 1, 2013 at 10:25 #

Even Angelababy can’t make this work , true that.

2. Yeliz April 1, 2013 at 11:50 #

Zhang Ziyi is still my favourite, even though I agree that she needed the belt.

3. Alicat April 1, 2013 at 12:19 #

Some difficult looks to wear successfully off the runway. I like the tuxedo dress minus the silk panels. Angelababy’s shoes are lustworthy although the dress is a strange hotchpotch of fabric. Agree Sun Li’s LBD is the best look but it is not anything special. I dislike the unnecessary neck tie.

4. CreoleLady April 1, 2013 at 12:32 #

Well, at least for once I do not feel an overwhelming urge to pull up those strapless dresses.

5. Christine April 1, 2013 at 12:34 #

None of these looks work. Not everyone can rock a runway look successfully.

6. Anne April 1, 2013 at 13:01 #

I liked all of these looks as presented, but each one of these ladies failed in the styling.

7. dee April 1, 2013 at 13:56 #

Don’t like the collection to begin with so none of them look all that great.

8. rita April 1, 2013 at 14:13 #

I don’t think anyone would have made them work. Off topic: they are so BEAUTIFUL, don’t know who is more gorgeous lol

9. Rebecca Z April 1, 2013 at 15:49 #

Meh. I actually like the tuxedo dress on the model, but the black tight kill it on Shu Qi. Boring, overworked clothes. Who needs them?

10. Nat April 1, 2013 at 17:48 #

I loathe all the looks. Raf Simons need to change his designs for Chinese women bc clearly isn’t working.

• TeaAtTwo April 1, 2013 at 18:29 #

This collection has looked bad on different women on carpets all round the world. The shoes were by far the best items from it. Angelababy is sooo pretty.

• LeeAnn April 1, 2013 at 19:55 #

My dear friend is Chinese and she bought most of the collection and she looks stunning

• Prudence April 2, 2013 at 05:00 #

if I had as much money as your dear friend this would be the last collection id shop at but hey, people have different tastes.

• Leeann April 2, 2013 at 12:20 #

Yes she has wonderful taste.out of curiosity what collection would you buy?

• Kathy April 2, 2013 at 21:25 #

I don’t think it’s the Chinese women that are the problem. It’s that Raf’s designs are very hard to pull off in general. I can name about three people who wear them well…Jennifer Lawrence (the gowns only), Marion Cotillard, and Leelee Sobieski. Rachel Bilson, Allison Williams, etc. have failed to successfully style/alter these Dior couture looks for the red carpet.

• Kathy April 2, 2013 at 21:27 #

Whoops, these looks are not couture. My mistake. I meant to refer to Raf’s work for Dior the past couple of seasons overall.

11. Nat39 April 1, 2013 at 18:14 #

The patterned tights on Shu Qi are really horrible (why??), she is here the worst for me. Zhang needed a belt and a less bulky shoe – the dress overwhelms her petite frame. Sun Li looks fine but I´m not excited about that LBD on her and I don´t like the hairstyle.
    Angelababy´s dress maybe odd but she is still the most adorable even in this dress. I think she is making it work as good as it possibly can. She looks cute, charming, flirty and exciting, I can give her a pass.

12. Leeann April 1, 2013 at 18:20 #

FC – just a small correction I hope you don ‘t mind – the first dress is not beaded but rather a yellow gold paillette- again beautiful in real life but in much ineed of the belt which if memory serves me right was only styled that way for the runway, the dress was sold without the belt,

Asians do look wonderful in this collection-my friend bought most of it and looks wonderful in it,

• Catherine Kallon April 1, 2013 at 21:57 #

thanks a lot for the additional info

13. Leeann April 1, 2013 at 18:21 #

Whoops meant to say that the scarf is a homage to Mr Dior ‘s love of bows.

14. Derro April 2, 2013 at 08:58 #

I think Shu Qi looks the most chic by far. I saw a fashion editor wear the same tuxedo dress with sheer black tights and it looked amazing. The patterned tights let this look down a little, but that’s a styling issue and not a design issue. On the whole it is still far more chic and interesting than the other options which are either total dreck or total snoozeville.

15. EmmaWoodhouse April 2, 2013 at 14:11 #

The only look that I actually like was the first, ON THE RUNWAY. It needed a belt, so badly! On Zhang it looks HUGE. The other three looks are BLECH. I mean, how is this high fashion? Angelababy’s look in particular is making me cringe. Sun’s dress was better on Allison.