Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – ‘Rust And Bone’ Toyko Premiere

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior - ‘Rust And Bone’ Toyko Premiere

Marion Cotillard took to the red carpet at the Marunouchi Piccadilly in Japan this evening for the Toyko premiere of her latest movie, ‘Rust And Bone’.

Not surprisingly, she wore a Christian Dior dress, as she has done pretty much exclusively during this promo tour.

The floral textured strapless frock from the Pre-Fall 2013 collection has a rise-and-fall hemline which reveals a blue satin lining.

I’m not the greatest fan of rise-and-fall hemlines and even someone of Marion’s calibre can’t make me love this look – especially with the contrast lining – but I think my disappointment is more focused on the lackluster styling.

The styling was very simple with Dior pumps, with an asymmetrical strap and a glossy lip colour completing her look.

Can Marion do no wrong or does everyone deserve an off day?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

28 thoughts on “Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – ‘Rust And Bone’ Toyko Premiere

1. Charlotte

What’s wrong with her hair ?!
    She looks like a Playmobil… after Kaley Cuoco, now Marion Cotillard ! I hope this trend stop now.
    I don’t like the dress and the styling… well, there is no styling. It’s a fail !

2. Lara

What’s up with the Rooney Mara/Lisbeth Salander hair? I almost always hate Marion’s hairstyle, and that’s what usually prevents me from totally loving a look of hers. For me, she hasn’t had a solid hit in a while.

3. Emmeline

The dress is lovely, but I hate the shoes and the hair. From the shoulders up it’s totally lackluster.

4. Ambrin Akhtar

I surprisingly like this minimalistic look…. It is striking and impactful…. Dont even mind the black pumps ;)

5. gabis

I totally agree with you FC. I’m not a big fan of the dress to begin with but it’s really the styling that ruins this look. Hair and shoes are simply terrible.

6. Rebecca Z

Now and again she looks good, but I don’t see her as a style icon. I think the rise and fall hemline is just stupid–one of those “sure you can do it but why would you” things. It’s not style, its a gimmick. Her hair often looks bizarre and this is no exception. About the only thing I like here is the color of the dress which works well with her dark chestnut hair. Otherwise, it is a mystery.

7. Lee Ann

I am begining to sound like a broken record. in person the fabric is stunning and very intricate. Having said that I wished she had styled it differently-a bracelet perhaps. The hair is awful.

1. jeremyrain

No, we need people like you to give us the detail that the internet has prevented us to see. Raf Simon is not someone who design for the red carpet- so I guess we just have to accept that. But I still just wish he’d take that Galliano’s glamor into consideration.

1. Lee Ann

If you can, go to the Dior exhibit at Harrods. There you can see the detail of some of his dresss as well as some of the archives. I agree with you about Galiano, I miss his glamour but I also think it was time for a change which Raf brings. But and it is a big but, his clothes do NOT photograph well. In real life they are amazing, beautifully constructed and immensely flattering. they also need movement.

8. Marybeth

This dress confuses me. In the lookbook it is styled as if it were a daytime, about-town dress.
    Say what?!? If you wear Dior in Paris, will they roll out a carpet for you between the metro stop and the bank? :)

Marion wears it as the evening dress it has to be but I don’t think her stark styling works with that fussy fabric. A dressier shoe, nice earrings, and an up-do (or ANY other hair style) would have been nicer.
    Even better, grab a pair of scissors and cut off the train!

9. Cookie

Looking at her hair I no longer feel so bad about my high school pictures. Whoever did this to such a beautiful woman deserves to be punished!

10. Nat

Honestly I don’t think her partnership with Dior is doing justice to her just like isn’t with Jennifer Lawrence. This dress it would be beautiful if it wasn’t for the mullet skirt and the distance between shoulders and the top of the dress is too long and isn’t working for on her. Need to be adjusted. Still I think it would be great on someone younger. This is too cute for her if the dress was fixed. The hair is terrible and didn’t like the make-up.

11. Anj

Her dress needs to be tighter. It looks like the back-end is weighing it down. There should be more definition at the waist to pull this off.

12. Moxie

I am not a fan of mullet skirts in general. I like the print and the contrasting fabric, but not the mullet aspect.

But the real tragedy here is the styling — those shoes do not belong with this outfit. And the hair! It looks like plain Jane office worker hair. Not attending a premiere wearing Dior hair.

13. Noemi

I don’t dislike the dress itself, the blue lining is beautiful. But the hair, she often styles them very bad. And I don’t like the shoes. For me, it’s a miss.

14. Tana

The dress would be really pretty if it wasn’t for the mullet aspect. There is too much chest showing. It is very difficult to make Marion Coltiard look bad, but somehow her hairdresser managed it.

15. adrian

She can do a lot of wrong, she’s doing it now and has been very spotty over the last few months.

16. T. Jones

I agree with you completely on this, FB! Marion can do so much better.(By the way, I don’t mean to sound like a nag, but as a fan of your site who has lived in Tokyo, I just wanted to mention that the city is spelled “Tokyo”, not “Toyko”!) =)

17. EmmaWoodhouse

I’m saddened by her hair. It’s not looking good with the too short, raggy fringe. She looks best with updos or with Veronica Lake waves imo. The dress (I’m not usually a fan of high-low hemlines either) actually is quite lovely, I think. However, the shoes and clutch are just OK–and her styling isn’t really doing anything for it.

18. Prudence

i am starting to hate Raf Simmons at Dior with just about all the women who are faces of Dior. This is just blah to me and I hate the mullet dress which he insists on recreating every show.

19. CreoleLady

Why do most Dior strapless dresses sit so low on almost every woman who wears them? Very annoying and not particularly flattering. The styling is ugly on the model and marginally less ugly on Cotillard only because she took that ridiculous vest-like thing off.