25.03.13

Princess Charlene of Monaco In Ralph Lauren – Bal de la Rose du Rocher

Princess Charlene of Monaco In Ralph Lauren - Bal de la Rose du Rocher

Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco attended the ‘Bal de la Rose du Rocher’ in aid of the Princess Grace Foundation, which celebrated the 150th anniversary of the SBM at Sporting Monte-Carlo in Monaco on Saturday.

Princess Charlene opted for a part-princess, part-biker look, styling her custom Ralph Lauren gown with a fitted Ralph Lauren ‘Davidson’ biker jacket.

I can’t help but feel very disappointed that she opted to cover the main attraction of her ivory gown, because it featured intricate gold detailing which wrapped around her neck and draped over her shoulders.

Heavy, smoky eyes and a retro marcel-wave hairdo completed her look.

Do you prefer the look with or without the biker jacket?

Stylebop.com has Princess Charlene’s Ralph Lauren ‘Davidson’ biker leather jacket in a range of spring colours.

Credit: Getty

Kim Kardashian's Givenchy Stretch Trousers

Kim Kardashian’s Givenchy Stretch Trousers

Solange Knowles In Theyskens' Theory & Edun - DIESEL + EDUN Studio Africa Event

Solange Knowles In Theyskens’ Theory & Edun – DIESEL + EDUN Studio Africa Event

26 Responses to Princess Charlene of Monaco In Ralph Lauren – Bal de la Rose du Rocher

1. Charlotte March 25, 2013 at 15:02 #

The make up is awful, the hair is not good and the jacket doesn’t work here. A bad look.

2. Gillian March 25, 2013 at 15:04 #

I really like the biker jacket as it gave edge to the look, plus I like the trick it did by covering the shoulders to reveal the middle part of the intricate gold details to look like a choker, and then become a whole new different look when the biker jacket is off.

Edgy, stylish and unique – A++ for this look, NOTHING LIKE BORING KATE SO I ESPECIALLY LOVE TBH

3. Lee Ann March 25, 2013 at 15:05 #

What a very sad looking princess.

• Molly March 26, 2013 at 00:17 #

If my hair and makeup looked like that, I would be sad too.

4. Sammy C March 25, 2013 at 15:11 #

Without. What an awful choice for what seems in these photographs like a great dress. Also a little less in the eye shadow department might have helped.

But the main distraction for me is the jacket. Maybe it would have seemed less catastrophic if I had seen this combo on a regular girl during a night out, as biker jacket + nice dress shouldn´t look quite this bad. But it doesn´t work at the Bal de la Rose for me, nor on any dress or with any jacket.

5. moja31 March 25, 2013 at 15:19 #

The jacket works with the theme of the event, but it would have been better if she’d left it unzipped.

6. justme March 25, 2013 at 15:24 #

With or without the jacket, this is terrible. She seems tired so she should have opted for a lighter, more natural makeup.

• Noemi March 25, 2013 at 15:40 #

I agree, but, did you see all the other guests? Such a bad night for fashion.

• justme March 25, 2013 at 21:00 #

lol I haven’t yet.

7. Beth Rodrigues March 25, 2013 at 15:33 #

Looks great..glad she wore something to keep the chill off..the jacket is just the right touch of edge.

8. Elise March 25, 2013 at 15:35 #

You can”t wear that jacket at a black tie event, it’s just weird. Not her best look, anyway

• Prudence March 27, 2013 at 03:17 #

yeah, I mean ever heard of an evening coat. this is like a desperate attempt at being ” fashiony” which just went wrong.

9. nick March 25, 2013 at 15:37 #

The biker jacket was essential as the weather was probably chilly. She looks as if she’s cold.

• Catherine Kallon March 25, 2013 at 15:49 #

Charlotte and Princess Caroline plus several others at the event didn’t donned leather biker jacket or any kind of jacket.

• Ines March 25, 2013 at 22:51 #

She wore the jacket for maximum 3 min if you look at the videos and there are plenty! She actually did an effort to go with the theme of the bal. She did not have the jacket on during the party.

Anyway, bad make up but gorgeous dress, really like all the different hairstyles she has tried since having short hair.

Sadly you missed her international tour, but she had terrific outfits and gorgeous gowns.

10. Rebecca Z March 25, 2013 at 15:43 #

Don’t like the jacket but I also don’t like the dress. Bad choices all around.

11. Marybeth March 25, 2013 at 17:17 #

There must be some compelling reason why she would choose a jacket so jarring, so unflattering to her broad-shouldered figure, and so tacky. Were they celebrating a motorcycling race?
    I don’t get it.

12. TeaAtTwo March 25, 2013 at 18:02 #

I like the dress but the make-up was poor as was the choice of a biker jacket as a cover up. Biker jackets have no place at formal events.

13. Estranged March 25, 2013 at 18:14 #

Judging by all looks from this event, my favourite Monacan royal style-wise has to be Blair Waldorf.

14. Yeliz March 25, 2013 at 18:44 #

A biker jacket over a gown? Just no. The gold details look delicate, but styling it with the biker jacket looks just awful.

15. Joy March 25, 2013 at 19:11 #

I would love that jacket in some other context! Of course it does not go with the event or dress here. There is something off about the dress though. While the shoulder embellishment is stunning, am I the only one seeing some of Anne Hathaway’s dart problem going on here. Neckline is a little too plunging as well; perhaps she did need some covering.

16. Christine March 25, 2013 at 22:46 #

I like it without the jacket.

17. EiraB March 26, 2013 at 07:38 #

I like the look but the jacket doesn’t work here. If you have broad swimmer’s shoulders as Charlene does you have to be very careful about what jackets you wear. Here I think the fact that the biker jacket is cropped only serves to broaden her shoulders. If it was a longer cut that balanced out her shoulders and if it were open to show some of the detail of the dress I think whole look would be far better.

• Mimi March 26, 2013 at 10:53 #

I was just about to say the same. She is a beautiful woman, but the outfit just emphasizes that she has very broad shoulders.

18. EmmaWoodhouse March 26, 2013 at 18:10 #

I shudder. I know some call the Duchess’s style boring, but I find it far less try-hard and disappointing than Charlene’s. While I appreciate CHarlene’s effort, this look is all wrong. The hair and makeup is harsh and terrible, the dress is tacky and cheap (plunging neckline plus shoulder beading like that just makes it seem like an amateur entertain costume) and the biker jacket was NOT the right choice to cover up, even if it was cold.

19. Tray April 17, 2013 at 03:38 #

Why does Albert always look like he’s trying to figure out if he has enough to tip the waiter?