21.03.13

Teyonah Parris In J. Loren – ‘Mad Men’ Season 6 Premiere

Teyonah Parris In J Loren - ‘Mad Men’ Season 6 Premiere

Teyonah Parris joined January Jones and the rest of her cast mates on the red carpet for the Season 6 premiere of ‘Mad Men’, held at the DGA Theater in LA last night.

As you know, I love a New Kid on the Fashion Block, especially when she manages to leave a few of her cast mates in the shade.

That was quite literal when it came to Teyonah Parris, who sported a marvellous natural pompadour updo. We are used to seeing her character wear a wig.

Her hair wasn’t the only ‘mane’ attraction – see what I did there?

She wore a black J. Loren high-neck dress with gold embroidered details.

Factor in a hot pair of strappy sandals, onyx jewels and a gorgeous smile and you have one fierce look.

I love a scene stealer.

Credit: Getty

Cory Michael Smith In Balenciaga - ‘Breakfast At Tiffany’s’ Broadway Opening Night

Cory Michael Smith In Balenciaga – ‘Breakfast At Tiffany’s’ Broadway Opening Night

‘David Bowie Is’ Exhibition Private Viewing Menswear Red Carpet Round Up

‘David Bowie Is’ Exhibition Private Viewing Menswear Red Carpet Round Up

23 Responses to Teyonah Parris In J. Loren – ‘Mad Men’ Season 6 Premiere

1. Nat39 March 21, 2013 at 18:34 #

The hair is ridiculous, it’s hard to look past it.

2. CreoleLady March 21, 2013 at 18:50 #

WOW. She’s working that sinuous line from h2t. Loving every inch.

• mm March 21, 2013 at 18:54 #

I am with you. i look forward to seeing more of her style

3. Marybeth March 21, 2013 at 18:54 #

Oh no.
    I LOVE this from the hairline down — the make-up, the dress, the jewelry, the shoes. It all works together beautifully on her. Stunning.

With a simple chignon or up-do she would still have been the scene stealer, and for all the RIGHT reasons.

Why the absurd hair? It ruins the look by making it costumey and try-too-hard. I can see that she’s having fun with it but, really, couldn’t she wait to do this with a boring outfit that could use some punch?
    What a shame.

4. Charlotte March 21, 2013 at 19:02 #

I’m not fan of the hair but the rest is so great that I can look past it. She’s gorgeous !

• adrian March 22, 2013 at 20:58 #

5. dee March 21, 2013 at 19:40 #

I love everything but the hair. I wish it wasn’t so high up on her head. I think a simpler hairdo would have looked better.

• dee March 21, 2013 at 19:41 #

Also want to add that I love she is rocking her natural hair. just wish she styled it differently.

6. Rory March 21, 2013 at 20:53 #

These white people out here mad our girl is rocking her NATURAL beautiful wondrous hair and doing it big and bold?! have a seat. You people never complain when black women wear wigs. Our natural styles do not conform to your Eurocentric ideals of beauty.

I LOVEEEE the hair. The make up is a bit lighter than her complextion and the red toes clash a bit but she is such a lovely girl, love her smile, the dress, and her glowing skin.

• Rebecca Z March 21, 2013 at 21:46 #

As a “you people” I have to say that I love natural hairstyles (long, short or in-between) on black women, but think all ladies should be able to make up their own minds how they wear their hair or if they wish to wear a wig. That said, I don’t like this particular hairstyle because I think it just looks silly–just as a similar tall beehive would look silly on anyone. Generally I find this site to be quite free of racial stereotyping and I hope it stays that way.

Everything else is spectacular!

• rita March 21, 2013 at 21:47 #

I agree with you! I like the fact that natural black hair is slowly coming back on the red carpet thatkns to people like Solange Knowless or this beautiful woman.Her hair goes perfectly with her etnic dress.

• EmmaWoodhouse March 22, 2013 at 03:43 #

I have to say I’m a little saddened by your comment–I always like how commenters on this blog (mostly) avoid putting people into boxes according to their race. I am white, and I love when women of EVERY color are proud of their natural hair and style it in different ways. Of course I have my opinions, just like others, to say, “Oh, I like that particular style” or not. Here I don’t like this pompadour because it’s rather alien-looking. It has nothing to do with race, just style, which is fair game for everyone to praise, critique (or both).

• Ysatis March 22, 2013 at 10:27 #

I find Rory’s comment very unfair. I am black and I wear my hair natural but I don’t like this particular hairstyle. Sure, it’s great to see an African-american lady rocking her natural hair on the red carpet. Teyonah, has long healthy gorgeous hair. However I don’t think this hairstyle is flattering or suits her. She is not Janelle Monae.Just because she’s wearing her hair natural does not mean that it is above criticism.

Using the race card is a low blow. One of the most popular celebrity on this website is Solange who is also natural. People on here rave about Kerry Washington’s style…

• Jess2 March 22, 2013 at 14:11 #

I don’t think this is a fair comment at all. Like others have suggested, our like or dislike for Teyonah’s hairstyle has nothing to do with whether it is her natural hair or not.
      If you think back to last year’s award season, this site went crazy with positivity when Viola Davis took off her wigs and went natural to the Oscars and other events. I thought she was even more beautiful when rocking her natural hair, and I am ‘white’. Like others have also mentioned, there is a lot of love for Solange Knowles here as well.

I don’t like this hair style and I really don’t like being told that I’m discriminating because of that. With that said, I absolutely love the rest of the look and the colour of her mani/pedi is awesome!

7. naomie March 21, 2013 at 21:39 #

Perfect from head to toe. The hair is insanely amazing.

• naomie March 22, 2013 at 08:58 #

I want to add – definitely BDOTW worthy!!!

8. Yeliz March 21, 2013 at 22:17 #

I really don’t like the hair and I can’t overlook it. The rest is great.

9. Angela March 21, 2013 at 23:36 #

Love it all, the hair is so different and it fits the boldness of the dress,which is gorgeous and suits her skin tone. The pops of neon orange finish this look off. bullseye.

10. Mol March 22, 2013 at 00:05 #

Scene stealer indeed! I adore this h2t, every element in perfect balance – worthy of the bdotw list in my eyes.

11. MissAmynae March 22, 2013 at 00:18 #

Stunning, full stop. BDOTW worthy, absolutely. My goodness, her smile!!

I adore her hair- its just so… COOL! Such incredible things can be done with natural hair, I love seeing women have fun with it! Solange, Janelle Monae, and now Teyonah– great style role models for young girls all around the world.

12. Christine March 22, 2013 at 01:05 #

The hair is overkill. Love her dress.

13. TeaAtTwo March 22, 2013 at 02:19 #

The foundation shade is wrong which is a shame because everything is fabulous.

14. EmmaWoodhouse March 22, 2013 at 03:40 #

Love the dress on her, would like the pompadour if it weren’t so crazy. The asymmetry isn’t working here.