20.03.13

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Malene Birger - 150th Anniversary of the London Underground

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge was out again today fulfilling her duties with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, who were out in London today to celebrate 150 years of the city’s Underground.
The trio visited Baker Street Underground Station this morning, where they actually boarded a tube.

The Queen looked splendid, wearing a Karl Ludwig collarless cream outfit with a matching hat by Angela Kelly.

Meanwhile, the mum-to-be wore a striking teal Malene Birger coat dress – with black accessories, of course – but her best accessory was the “Baby on Board!” pin.

If she was treated like any of the other pregnant women I see wearing this pin on the tube, she would either be totally ignored, as other patrons don’t want to give up their seats, or she would, despite the pin, have to point out that she is pregnant in order to get a seat.

Yes, this really does happen.

Credit: FameFlynet & Getty

Menswear Midweek Round Up

Menswear Midweek Round Up

Selena Gomez' Stella McCartney Pleated Silk Organza Dress

Selena Gomez’ Stella McCartney Pleated Silk Organza Dress

34 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Malene Birger – 150th Anniversary of the London Underground

1. Yeliz March 20, 2013 at 21:24 #

She looks gorgeous again, the pin is so cute. I really like the coat dress. I didn’t knew that about the pregnant women and the seats. It’s not like that here in Germany.

2. Ruth March 20, 2013 at 21:28 #

Lovely, the both of them.

I’d really like to see Catherine cut her hair just below her ears. I think it’d really suit her. Maybe after the baby is born?

• noo March 21, 2013 at 07:07 #

my sister and i have the same hair as kate (not as glossy of course :P)! we always talk about cutting it but when it comes to actually doing it we just can’t ! i would think she can’t part with her lovely hair :D

• LeeAnn March 21, 2013 at 20:37 #

Her best feature is her hair,I really do not think she is pretty enough to draw attention to her features- when she added that fringe it looked dreadful

3. Marybeth March 20, 2013 at 21:41 #

The Duchess looks great — love the coat dress — but the Queen completely upstages her!
    (That is how it should be, I think.)

• Rashmi March 21, 2013 at 03:52 #

+1.
      The coat dress is great on her. But the Queen is far more stylish than her! She looks adorable!

• Beta March 21, 2013 at 07:51 #

+1 the Queen is the best hat wearer I can think of. Plus her coats are always divine

• Agathe March 22, 2013 at 13:17 #

Thanks for pointing her out, I checked the Queen’s pictures and she looks great indeed.

4. mena March 20, 2013 at 21:49 #

Fashion_Critic, are you going to write about every outfit Catherine wears? It seems like that’s what you are doing.

• Catherine Kallon March 20, 2013 at 22:54 #

I always have done…since even before she was married.

• Molly March 21, 2013 at 14:28 #

I love it. No matter what we think, what Catherine wears is scrutinized and emulated across the globe. I’d rather see her on these pages than suffer through the fluff in People magazine to get a glimpse at her outfits.

5. Maz March 20, 2013 at 22:00 #

Yes, it happens! It happened to me today…my faith in humanity is declining with every tube journey… I’m surprising myself by really liking this outfit, it could look overly mature but I think the length keeps it youthful.

• Catherine Kallon March 20, 2013 at 22:59 #

It always makes my blood boil…I have even as gone as far as saying, “can someone offer this pregnant lady/older lady/woman with a broken foot a seat?”

I’m not even exaggerating. I see it all the time.

• LeeAnn March 21, 2013 at 20:22 #

A dear 8 month pregnant colleague asked a young man if she could have his seat because she wasn’t feeling well. He replied no and then said why should I? She vomited all over him. The woman standing next to her said that’s why!

• Rashmi March 21, 2013 at 03:56 #

Oh, that’s really sad Maz :( . I hope people become more considerate.

• Maz March 21, 2013 at 11:02 #

Thanks both. At least when I get home after another seriously uncomfortable journey I get to forget about it all by tucking into the day’s posts on my favourite ever website! From misery to bliss!

6. Iloveshoesandclothes March 20, 2013 at 23:00 #

This is the first pregnancy outfit she has worn that looks good..wasbeginning to think she has no idea of what to do with a thicker waistline!……second because her grey wrap dress was cute. In this coat visible nips!!!!

7. Robert March 20, 2013 at 23:10 #

I think it would literally kill her to wear purple, magenta, orange, or violet. She either wears black, white, brown, or grey. And she wore a Greene coat just 3 days ago with the same black accessories. Is she gonna wear coats and opaque tights during winter for the rest of her life? Someone tell her pants and a jacket are stylish too.

8. Lili March 21, 2013 at 01:13 #

Since you only cover the British royal family and especially almost exclusively the Duchess (or other when there is a joint event), I think it would be fair to not bother with “best dressed royalty” at the end of next year ;)

One of the laziest (in term of engagements/year and patronage) and most boring (style wise) future queen consort out there.

• Molly March 21, 2013 at 22:34 #

To be fair to FC, what royals are covered is probably dictated by the photo agencies. You cant exactly cover more royals when you cant find any pictures of them!
      Now with that said, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark actually wore this coat first back in 2007 when she was pregnant with Princess Isabella: http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagenes//royalty/2013032111708/kate-middleton-princess-mary-coat/0-59-797/kate-middleton-mary–z.jpg

• Lee Ann March 22, 2013 at 14:41 #

How funny. times are tough maybe CP Mary leant it on to Kate!!

• CreoleLady March 23, 2013 at 07:03 #

Molly, your point is well taken but for me actually reinforces Lili’s point. I didn’t like the best dressed royal category either for the reasons Lili mentions.

9. Christine March 21, 2013 at 01:29 #

Bored but she looks pretty. I am glad she wore her hair down.

10. Jen March 21, 2013 at 02:02 #

How adorable is the Queen! I love how their coats call back to one another with the trim. I’m sort of surprised that protocol allows her to wear that high a hemline, not that it’s a bad thing.

I hadn’t noticed before that Catherine had dimples, had you?

• noo March 21, 2013 at 07:10 #

i think she’s only allowed that high a hemline because of the opaque black tights underneath! I kinda like that she gets to show off her legs at a time where they are probably her best asset!

11. Grace Patricia March 21, 2013 at 02:42 #

She’s pretty, pregnancy does great things to women and she seems happy and glowing. About the style, boring as always.

12. Rebecca Z March 21, 2013 at 04:29 #

She looks cute and the Queen looks quite fashionable too. I have to say that I liked the black dress/white coat ensemble better, but I love her hat. It is so funny to read all the comments, some folks criticizing her choice of colors, others complaining that her skirt is too short, etc. To me, the most important thing for her right now is to be comfortable and happy.

• dee March 22, 2013 at 13:26 #

13. Dolly March 21, 2013 at 10:13 #

Cant get awfully excited about this look, but it’s appropriate for her role and she looks nice. I do find it slightly ageing though.

Regarding the pregnancy comment about seats being offered on tube/buses/trains, I would offer my seat to anyone who needs it but pregnancy is not an illness and in her case she is barely showing, so doubtful she would need to sit down more than anyone else does. Never mind the fact she gets driven everywhere unlike us normal folk.

• LeeAnn March 21, 2013 at 20:32 #

Dolly – no it is not an illness but your comment makes my blood boil for its sheer stupidity. You obviously have ever been pregnant. I hope when you are that your comment comes back to haunt you.

When you are standing in a hot crowded train in your first tri melter and you are feeling nauseous but don’t look pregnant so no one offers a seat even though it is when you most need it to when you are in the later stages carting around 15 pounds of Baby pressing against your organs especially your lungs and heartburn and hemourroids have kicked in- I hope you are told Sorry babe you are not ill you can stand.

14. dee March 21, 2013 at 13:30 #

Love the hat and coat. Great look.

15. Cheryl March 21, 2013 at 21:14 #

She’s glowing! Makes the look ten times better. Pregnant royals usually try to dress down to distract from the baby bump. Royals in Brunei aren’t even allowed to have photographs taken of them when they’re pregnant and in public. Sad about how selfish people seem to be on the Tube. It’s not much to give up your seat since people are getting off at many stops in the journey so you’d have your own (if you’re quick enough).

16. EmmaWoodhouse March 22, 2013 at 03:19 #

Makes me mad to hear that nobody pays attention to the needs of pregnant women–ladies, let’s look out for each other! :)
    Catherine looks absolutely adorable here. I love the coat and hat and she is just so radiant. I’ve always liked her style (guess I’m one of the few) but pregnancy has added an extra panache.

• EmmaWoodhouse March 22, 2013 at 12:17 #

Also LOVE the Queen’s outfit!