26.02.13 Menswear

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up

While the women looked absolutely gorgeous at the 2013 Oscars, the men used the biggest black tie event of the year to showcase some truly dapper looks. A large majority of the men stuck to the classic black and white, as opposed to navy and grey, and it paid off. With all the cleaned-up looks, it was surprising to see that the most popular trend of the night was facial hair. From full beards to scruff, the men of the Oscars made a manly statement.

Channing Tatum: Before dancing with Charlize Theron in the opening, the popular actor donned a nicely fitted Gucci made-to-order navy three-piece tux with Martin Katz studs and cufflinks. His outfit featured a classy shawl lapel and shirt studs. He rocked his tux all night with a huge smile thanks to his glowingly beautiful pregnant wife, Jenna Dewan-Tatum.

Eddie Redmayne: Here’s the one you’ve all been waiting for. The always-dapper Eddie Redmayne arrived in a slim-fit Alexander McQueen black tuxedo with wide peak lapels. Like he’s shown over the past few months, Eddie knows how a suit should fit, and this tux fit perfectly. Finishing off his look with a tribute to the old school, he wore gold studs and, my favourite part, black tuxedo slippers.

Ben Affleck: That fantastic beard is back. The director and producer of Best Picture winner ‘Argo’ wore a Gucci black three-piece tuxedo that featured peak lapels. With his black bow tie, Ben wore a white shirt with a wing-tip collar. The pants could have been a bit shorter, but what he lacks in tailoring he makes up for in facial hair. Ben’s wife, Jennifer Garner, also wore Gucci to the event.

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up 2

Daniel Day-Lewis: The actor looked dapper as he collected his Best Actor award wearing a custom-made Domenico Vacca suit. It has since been revealed that the actors initials were stitched into the suit, and that he requested high-waisted trousers, a preference of his.

Bradley Cooper: Channelling old-school Hollywood glamour, the Best Actor nominee slicked back his hair and wore a custom Tom Ford black three-piece tuxedo. He finished it off with a crisp white shirt, black studs, and a thick black bow tie. Bradley has had trouble with getting the right fit on his pants, but the perfect tailoring and the wide peak lapels made for an incredible look at the Oscars. Tom Ford was also his choice for the SAG Awards.

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up 3

Chris Tucker: The actor clearly has something for wide lapels and droopy bow ties. This navy tuxedo looks to be the exact same one, and is worn the same way, as the tux he wore to the BAFTA Awards earlier this month. I’m still not loving it, and I still wish he would button his jacket.

Chris Pine: Again in Ermenegildo Zegna, Chris Pine was one of the few to opt for a double-breasted tux. He looked handsome as a presenter in his well-tailored black tux, white shirt, black bow tie and, like almost everyone else, a little scruff.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt: In attendance as a performer, the 32-year-old actor wore a Gucci black notch-lapel tuxedo. With his tux he wore a white shirt and a narrow black bow tie, which he said he didn’t tie himself. While on the red carpet, Joseph confessed he did not know how to tie a bow tie, so ‘Lincoln’ co-star Sally Field had to tie it for him. Black studs and a red lapel pin finished off his look.

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up 4

Jamie Foxx: As what seemed to be the only man not wearing black or navy, the star of ‘Django Unchained’, joined by his daughter, sported a Calvin Klein grey tuxedo with black peak lapels. He even skipped the white shirt and chose to go with black. I’m glad he changed it up and went with grey, but there are two things about this look that bother me. First off, he fastened both buttons on his jacket, and secondly, he wore a sequinned black bow tie. He wasn’t the only man in the past week to attempt a sequinned look.

George Clooney: Few people have the star power to pull off such wide notch lapels on a tuxedo like George Clooney. As a producer of Best Picture winner ‘Argo’, George was suited up in an Armani black tuxedo alongside Stacey Keibler. His jacket fit nicely but the pants were just a bit long. The more noticeable part of this look was the way he followed the night’s trend with his well-groomed grey beard and hair.

2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up 5

Hugh Jackman: Best Actor nominee Hugh Jackman was my best dressed because he dressed like a true movie star. A Tom Ford double-breasted, shawl-lapel tuxedo was a very bold move. It was something no one else attempted, because no one else could pull it off. Finishing off his look, Hugh wore a white pleated shirt, a black bow tie, and black studs.

Christoph Waltz: Christoph accepted his award for Best Supporting Actor in a Prada midnight-navy tuxedo with shawl lapels. Not many opted for navy, but the two-time Oscar winner made it look just as appropriate as the traditional black. He styled his tailored look with a black bow tie, a white shirt, and a black pair of frames.

Credit: Getty

Mary Elizabeth Winstead In Andrew Gn - 2013 Vanity Fair party

Mary Elizabeth Winstead In Andrew Gn – 2013 Vanity Fair party

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Oscars?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 Oscars?

29 Responses to 2013 Oscars Menswear Round Up

1. dee February 26, 2013 at 18:42 #

My favorite is Hugh Jackman and I like Jamie’s look as well.

• Christine February 27, 2013 at 02:46 #

They all look nice but +1

2. robbie February 26, 2013 at 18:43 #

cant find a fault with any of these looks apart from chris tucker, and that is most likely down to the ridiculous and clownish bow tie.

3. anonymous as always February 26, 2013 at 18:45 #

They all look lovely! It’s nice to see men well dressed. Men’s fashion can be very interesting… My favorites are Daniel Day-Lewis, Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman and Josheph Gordon Levitt just because I love him in general!!!

4. Nat39 February 26, 2013 at 18:46 #

Eddie, Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman are my favourite.
    Don’t like Joseph G-L’s bow-tie, and Bradley’s pants look a tiny bit short to me.

5. Kathy February 26, 2013 at 18:51 #

Eddie Redmayne. Swoon.

I love everyone’s look, but hate Bradley’s hair.

Can I also say that Jamie Foxx’s daughter is wearing a beautiful gown? Love that color and the details along the middle.

6. mirela February 26, 2013 at 18:52 #

DDL is may man.

7. Alina February 26, 2013 at 18:56 #

Channing Tatum is my favourite.

• julyol1972 February 26, 2013 at 19:02 #

Channing Tatum’s suit was tailored to perfection. Eddie looks great too but Channing is killing it like none other in this suit. Plus pictures of him looking lovingly at his wife made me a fan for life. Hope he edges out Eddie for the title this week.

8. Leti February 26, 2013 at 19:05 #

The menfolk were looking good on this night. I totally that among the classic black and white tuxes, Hugh was a standout. Chris Pine looked to buttoned up, and should take notes. I appreciated Jamie’s grey and black departure, but agree that the sparkly bow tie wasn’t working. I’d also to give honorable mention to Samuel L. Jackson who worked the hell out of his burgundy velvet tux jacket!

9. Marybeth February 26, 2013 at 19:14 #

Channing Tatum and Hugh Jackman are my favorites.

Given the formality of the event, I appreciate Bradley Cooper trying to smooth out his hair, but in many photos it looked greasy. Eddie Redmayne’s hair, OTOH, looked a bit scruffy in some pictures, which made his look a bit less sharp than it otherwise might have been. (Both are very nicely dressed though.)

The one that disappoints me most is Joseph G-Levitt. There’s something about the shape of the tie and the placement of the lapel pin that doesn’t work at all for me.

All in all, the men look good!

10. Yeliz February 26, 2013 at 19:43 #

Channing Tatum is my best dressed man. He looks perfectly handsome. I also love Hugh Jackman, Christoph Waltz and Daniel Day-Lewis’s looks.

11. Elise February 26, 2013 at 19:53 #

Slippers at Oscars?? Come on…

My favorite, Channing Tatum

12. justme February 26, 2013 at 19:56 #

Almost everyone looked handsome and lovely.

I really like Eddie’s slippers, love them even. But for the overall appearance, I’m going with Channing.

13. Moxie February 26, 2013 at 20:13 #

1 – Hugh Jackman
    2 – Channing Tatum
    3 – Eddie Redmayne

14. adrian February 26, 2013 at 20:52 #

Umm, sorry, but Bradley looks like a tardy child in those too small pants. That’s not good tailoring. Just about every other man pictured has at least a small break in his pants. Christoph FTW!

15. moonbeam February 26, 2013 at 21:18 #

I love Daniel Day-Lewis’ look.

16. Sara February 26, 2013 at 21:41 #

I am getting such a kick out of seeing Bradly’s mom’s tennis shoe peaking out from under her dress :)

17. Simon February 26, 2013 at 22:26 #

I think it’s one of the best photos of the oscars.

18. anjos February 26, 2013 at 22:34 #

Daniel Day-Lewis looks the best here. Refreshing navy in the sea of black. And the fit is really nice, too.

What’s up with Bradley Cooper’s fit of pants though?

19. Mol February 26, 2013 at 23:45 #

Eddie and Daniel Day-Lewis nailed their looks perfectly and are my favorites.

20. Liana February 26, 2013 at 23:48 #

Daniel Day-Lewis is just perfect. Channing Tatum looks amazing too!

21. EmmaWoodhouse February 27, 2013 at 00:02 #

Eddie, Hugh, Jamie and Channing are my favorites. Daniel looks good too!

22. pipsqueak February 27, 2013 at 02:31 #

Eddie, Channing and Christoph – in that order – for me. I was rooting for Christoph all the way before the Oscars. He and his wife looked so good together. They were under the radar but I think they were one of the cutest couples on the red carpet.

23. Chelsea S. February 27, 2013 at 03:20 #

Jamie Foxx is my pick. He won me over with his bow tie he had on from thinkabitbigger.com
    It was soooooo shiny on camera.
    I love their designs! I saw it on instagram @tabb_bowties.

So cool!!!

• kiwi March 2, 2013 at 05:08 #

+1> plus I also think his daughter looked stunning.. her make up and dress, hair.. all were great

24. bijuk February 27, 2013 at 03:23 #

Eddie, Channing, Hugh are my faves. Just perfect!

25. Noemi February 27, 2013 at 09:08 #

Eddie Redmayne was the best. the tux, the fit, the shoes and himself! Then I liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Chris Pine.
    What’s going on in Hollywood? Are tailors on strike? The pants’ length of many men is so wrong. Ben Affleck’s, George Clooney’s, Bradley Cooper’s. How come?

26. Jess2 March 7, 2013 at 11:44 #

Channing Tatum is just perfection! No doubt about it. Hugh was also spot on and I love the colour of Daniel’s tux.