Lena Dunham In Reed Krakoff – 65th Annual Writers’ Guild East Coast Awards

Lena-Dunham-In-Reed-Krakoff-65th-Annual-Writers-Guild-East-Coast-Awards copy

Lena Dunham attended the 65th annual Writers’ Guild East Coast Awards at the B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York City on Sunday evening.

The ‘Girls’ actress, writer and director wore a Reed Krakoff Pre-Fall 2013 look on this occasion.

Last time out, it was suggested by some that Lena should cover up her tattoos, but she doesn’t appear to be taking your advice, donning a strapless black-and-white tejus-lizard jacquard bustier dress with asymmetrical pleats.

It has also been said that she doesn’t seem that interested in fashion, which may be the case but I feel like she made a real effort here.

Hair and makeup is much improved, and the dress is not only flattering but it is also thankfully not one of those shiny satin dresses she has been favouring for her last few outings.

Smoky eyes, studded earrings and Reed Krakoff black strappy sandals completed her look.

Much improved or more of the same?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Mar Saura In Stella McCartney - 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

Mar Saura In Stella McCartney – 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

Manuela Velasco In Gucci - 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

Manuela Velasco In Gucci – 2013 Goya Cinema Awards

43 Responses to Lena Dunham In Reed Krakoff – 65th Annual Writers’ Guild East Coast Awards

1. Nat February 18, 2013 at 14:46 #

Girl needs to stop wearing strapless stuff. I don’t know how told her it was a good cut for her, but it’s not. It’s not flattering.
    This would actually be quite a good look if the dress wasn’t strapless and had, say, a normal V-neck or a round neck…anything but strapless.

• Nat February 18, 2013 at 14:46 #

*who told her
      (Sorry for the typo)

• Angela R. February 18, 2013 at 14:50 #

Totally agree with Nat words.

• dee February 18, 2013 at 16:50 #

I agree.

2. emmy February 18, 2013 at 14:51 #

A definite improvement! But tattoos aren’t an accessory, I don’t see why they would be criticised alongside with her fashion choices…

• Mariazinha February 18, 2013 at 14:58 #

Completely agree!!
      I don’t think her tattoos should be covered AT ALL.
      You may not like it, think they are ugly, say she would look better without them.. But it’s not an accessory you put on and off depending on your outfit.
      Get over it.
      (I like them, by the way..)

• Grace Patricia February 18, 2013 at 15:19 #

I also don’t like tattoos and I dislike her tattoos specifically, but tattoo prejudice in 2013? I’ve seen it here many times before and I guess it doesn’t suit fashion forward people.

• Grace Patricia February 18, 2013 at 15:21 #

Not liking this dress on her. Like her hair and make up, though.

• ashley February 19, 2013 at 02:38 #

not a huge fan of hers personally but i don’t mind her tattoos. it makes her different. it is a shame that people look down on them though. it’s a form of art just like the clothes she is wearing.

• Leti February 18, 2013 at 15:35 #

Completely agree! Her tatoos should be left out of the discussion of her fashion choices. Getting down to her outfit, I think this is a huge improvement! This may not be the most flattering neckline for her, but at least it fits, and I love the print and accessories. In terms of hair and make up, I think she really came in to her own when she cut her hair.

• Jai February 18, 2013 at 18:07 #

Yes, I agree, tattoos are a personal choice. She shouldn’t have to cover them in shame in order to be considered fashionable. I think this dress is a big improvement – she looks good.

• adrian February 19, 2013 at 00:39 #

Yep! Joining this chorus. It would be like complaining about eye color. It’s there and it ain’t going anywhere so on to the fashion … which is rather fun and funky this time out.

• Jess2 February 19, 2013 at 12:49 #

I am joining in as well. Our critique of her fashion and style choices should not include her tattoos.
      I think this is a great improvement for Lena. The dress is lovely on her and her styling is great as well. Great shoe choice!

3. Christine February 18, 2013 at 14:51 #

I am just not interested in her red carpet style. Her tattoos are off putting!

4. Beta February 18, 2013 at 14:55 #

Absolutely love this look! im SO happy she didnt wear the lookbook boots. she looks great :)

5. mm February 18, 2013 at 15:09 #

I like this look for lena, hair style is a big improvement

6. shap_half February 18, 2013 at 15:19 #

I don’t really understand her style. I don’t like this. All the detail and structural interest at the bottom half of the dress don’t flatter.

7. Pati February 18, 2013 at 15:27 #

I think it’s much improved. Baby steps, but still! I agree about the strapless comment, but the skirt line is flattering and her hair and make up are much better. And I like her sandals too. So all in all- not bad! Next time, I would like her to wear short sleeves and a v-neck :)

8. GiGi February 18, 2013 at 15:32 #

Hair: much improved
    Makeup: much improved
    Shoes: improved
    Dress: an improvement over that last mess
    Tattoos: Call me old fashioned, but hers are just too much… but I realize they’re quite “in” now, so shall just accept it.
    Overall look: She’s no Nicole Kidman (see previous entry)

9. Jessica February 18, 2013 at 15:34 #

I think she looks good here. Her hair and makeup are nice! It is definitely an improvement.

10. Rebecca Z February 18, 2013 at 15:42 #

I think the biggest problem is that it is just an ugly dress. Agree the hair, makeup and shoes are better, but the dress is a stinker.

On the question of tattoos–certainly they are not an accessory, but they do interact with what one wears. Choosing to show them or not should be a decision that is made in concert with other decisions about one’s appearance. So, I think it is fair game for commentary.

• Marybeth February 18, 2013 at 16:21 #

“…they do interact with what one wears. Choosing to show them or not should be a decision that is made in concert with other decisions about one’s appearance.”

Very well said.

Someone above spoke of tattoo “prejudice,” but for most people commenting here the subject of tattoos has NOTHING to do with any social (much less moral) judgment on the person. Our concerns are purely aesthetic and I agree with you that, in that context, they are legitimate.

• Morthylla February 18, 2013 at 18:08 #

While at some degree I agree with you about the fact that tattoos interact with what one wears, this same reason has been told to me to convince me to hide a big scar I have in one of my legs. I’ve been told it ruins my outfit or even that it is distasteful to display something like that. Obviously, tattoos are not the same as scars, but as they are permanent and deliberated, we should consider them invisible and critize the rest of the outfit.

• MissAmynae February 19, 2013 at 00:48 #

+10

As I say below- my ink is just part of my skin. Take it or leave it, but its part of me just as much as any scar, of which I have plenty. You aren’t your scar, it is part of you, and you should never feel pressure to hide it because of how other people feel.

11. Neli February 18, 2013 at 15:46 #

Much better!

12. Yeliz February 18, 2013 at 16:06 #

Improved, but she should stay away from strapless dresses. Her tattoos ruin all of her looks.

13. CreoleLady February 18, 2013 at 16:14 #

For me, the tattoos are like jewelry except much more permanent. Body art, like any art, is subject to critique and likes/dislikes imo. I do not believe that culturally or religiously she was required to tattoo her body, but please correct me if I am wrong about that. I would reconsider in such cases. Otherwise, I disagree with those who want to take discussion of the aesthetics of her tattoos (or anyone else’s) — specifically, the impact of same on a red carpet look — off the fashion critique table.

If she wants to flaunt her tattoos, fine. I don’t have to like them in certain instances any more than I liked Katy Perry’s recent overexposure of her twins. Thankfully, I am not distracted by the tattoos in this shot. Agree, much improved but mixed feelings about the strapless.

14. asherlev1 February 18, 2013 at 16:19 #

Much better!!!

15. Marybeth February 18, 2013 at 16:31 #

I think this look shows much improvement. The shape of the dress and the vertical black pattern are flattering to her figure. Her grooming is nicely done.
    The tattoos coordinate with this dress well, FAR better than with nearly all of her previous choices.
    It’s not a great look, but a big step in the right direction!

16. Aline February 18, 2013 at 17:38 #

I would say it’s slightly better.

17. Beth February 18, 2013 at 20:48 #

I think the tattoo thing is irrelevant. No one says to Angelina Jolie to cover up her tattoos. It’s who she is and fashion if nothing else should help you express who you are.

18. DivaDebbi (Beauty and Fashion Blog) February 18, 2013 at 21:25 #

I think its eons better. Hair and makeup so much prettier. I am not a fan of tattoo’s but obviously Lena love hers. So be it, despite my cringing.

I disagree about strapless. With her small shoulders and small waist, A-line strapless is the ideal cut for her body. Her calves are also an asset. The dress could be prettier, but overall, I think she looks fabulous!

• MissAmynae February 19, 2013 at 00:44 #

agreed- key word re:strapless is A-line.

19. La-Shaun February 18, 2013 at 21:47 #

Better than before but I don’t believe she has any place on a fashion blog *shrugs*

20. EmmaWoodhouse February 18, 2013 at 23:01 #

Had this been cap sleeved, it would have been a major improvement. She should NOT wear strapless as it does not flatter her, imo. This is a better look–the graphic print and her shoes are good, but between the strapless neckline, her unstyled hair, and those unsightly (yes, I said it!) tattoos, this is still quite below par in comparison with other looks we’re seeing right now (especially with the Goya awards on!)

21. MissAmynae February 19, 2013 at 00:35 #

Better!

She has such victorian sloped, rounded shoulders that sometimes strapless is not the most flattering, BUT- this fits her in the bust, and the silhouette suits her figure.

Solid B+

• MissAmynae February 19, 2013 at 00:43 #

forgot to add: as an “inked” girl myself, I don’t see my many tattoos as anything other than my skin, and consider everyone’s as the same. If I feel like highlighting them, I do, if not, I don’t. Depends on the day.

The only time I think about other people’s opinions of them is in a job interview. I love my ink. It was carefully curated and I was careful to choose artists who did beautiful, quality work, but I don’t expect everyone to like them or understand the meaning.

Dunham’s ink isn’t to everyone’s taste, but its well done, and seems to suit her personality. I get more offended by “tramp stamps” and tattoos done on a whim on a drunken night.

22. GG February 19, 2013 at 02:23 #

I know I’m going to be the only one that feels this way but…I really like her style. I don’t get what everyone is saying “she doesn’t seem to be into fashion”. Because if that was the case, she would living in black dresses.Honestly her fashion choices excite me more then other stars that throw on a black dress/sequin column dress and call it a day. I like that she dresses her age (20 something) and has fun with fashion.

• RMeers February 19, 2013 at 08:31 #

I agree, I also like her style and think she takes risks and carries herself really well. I’ll take her over Jennifer Aniston any day thank you very much!

23. Yolonda February 19, 2013 at 08:27 #

I think she looks great this event, nice to see some different body types being represented. Much improved.

By the way, the tattoos don’t bother me at all and she SHOULD NOT cover them to be more fashionable or polished or pretty. LOL

24. Sonya February 19, 2013 at 11:12 #

I’m missing a belt on her.

25. Kate February 19, 2013 at 18:25 #

This is a great look for her! It’s edgy and still feminine. I would’ve loved a little bob of color with a different stud earring, but baby steps.

Agreeing with everyones comments about leaving her tattoos out of the outfit’s discussion. They’re not going to scrub away for her next outing, so if you don’t like them too bad for you.

26. Joana February 19, 2013 at 18:32 #

She may not have fat shoulders but they definetely look fat in the dresses she wears! She should just cover her arms.