Beyonce Knowles In Elie Saab Couture - 'Beyonce Life Is But A Dream' New York Premiere

Beyonce Knowles hit the red carpet on Tuesday evening in New York City, for the premiere of her HBO documentary, ‘Life Is But A Dream’, which will air on Saturday February 16.

The singer dazzled the photographers wearing an Elie Saab Spring 2012 Couture gown with Lorraine Schwartz jewels.

Her sleeveless greige embellished gown with floral appliqués is stunning, this cannot be denied, but am I alone in feeling like this is mighty grand for a premiere of a one-off TV special?

For those of you who didn’t like her Grammys look, would you’ve preferred it if Beyonce had swapped looks and worn this Elie Saab gown to the Grammys?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

America Ferrera In L.K. Bennett -  'HYENA' Edinburgh Film Festival Premiere

America Ferrera In L.K. Bennett – ‘HYENA’ Edinburgh Film Festival Premiere

Anne Hathaway's The Row 'Dorning' Dress

Anne Hathaway’s The Row ‘Dorning’ Dress

46 Responses to Beyonce Knowles In Elie Saab Couture – ‘Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream’ New York Premiere

1. Prudence February 13, 2013 at 05:15 #

when I saw this pic on tumblr I wondered what big event was taking place again today, and wouldnt have imagined this was a documentary premiere cause it is deffs WAY TO MUCH. yeah its your doc but still, take it down a notch. Had this been knee lenght I wouldnt say anything but this is too much. Oh and her roots are pissing me off. fix that, you have like a team of 1000

2. Yeliz February 13, 2013 at 05:34 #

Being not event appropriate aside, this stunning gown doesn’t look stunning on her. I miss the belt and the bust area doesn’t work on her, it’s too see-through, unlike on the model. And her hair is too casual for this elegant gown.

• NooG February 13, 2013 at 07:20 #

• Christine February 13, 2013 at 14:24 #

Stunning gown but a bit too much for a docu premiere.

• effieee February 14, 2013 at 01:49 #

Agreed with your comment about her. If she’d worn her hair like she did at the Grammys, I think it would’ve made a world of difference.

3. the ogre February 13, 2013 at 05:38 #

gee…agreed it’s too much for a documentary premiere but for me it’s another look ruined by too much boobage…sigh!

4. jenni February 13, 2013 at 05:38 #

I find this look VERY unflattering to her. The chest isn’t looking good and this is reading as case of ‘Let’s wear Elie Saab Couture because we got it’. The missing belt has lost the definition in the waist. And MOST OF ALL, something is happening in the crotch that should not be happening. Extremely unpleasent. The hem is wrong and her roots are killing me. A huge miss just as her Grammys appearance was. Grammys should have been worn to the mall for a shopping spree, this should have been brought to the tailors for some serious work before attending a SERIOUS event!

5. vicky February 13, 2013 at 06:17 #

Weird pose which makes the boobage look even weirder. Awful hair.
    I miss the belt. The Grammy outfit was more suited for this event.

6. j February 13, 2013 at 06:17 #

the pose is throwing me off…..the elegance of the gown have just gone Viva las vegas!

7. Alex February 13, 2013 at 07:36 #

This look feels too J-Lo for me…
    Her Grammys look was so much more sophisticated!

8. NthiranK February 13, 2013 at 07:39 #

Im utterly disapointed . Thought Elie and Bey would be a match made in heaven,i was wrong. Miss the belt and the toffee lining doesnt work. Wish shed worn a different gown from the collection.

9. Leela February 13, 2013 at 07:44 #

The beauty of this dress is totally lost on Beyonce. The hair, no belt, the pose… all wrong, and makes a stunning Saab dress look almost tacky.

And definitely too over the top for a documentary premiere.

10. Feer February 13, 2013 at 07:56 #

Please, PLEASE, please, i LOVE Beyonce’s music, but JESUS, could somebody, anybodyyy, pleasee!, change her stylist, that hair, that same awful pose, it’s TACKY, she is the richest singer in the world and she looks sooo cheap!

• Feer February 13, 2013 at 07:57 #

She makes a gorgeous Elie Saab creation look cheap, i am so tired of being disappointed with her looks

11. Joy February 13, 2013 at 07:57 #

Gorgeous dress, but unfortunately Beyonce ruins it’s elegance. All of the charm and beauty is lost with the fit and Beyonce’s styling and build. Sometimes she looks like a drag queen. Just too much all the time. Yikes!

And yes, the Grammy outfit was more suited for this event. At first I ddin’t get her Grammy outfit at all, but after actually watching the Grammys I think I understood her outfit choice. I think because she was more of a spectator this year, she toned it down. That showed a lot of class.

• Cass February 13, 2013 at 09:29 #

Agree

12. Sammy C February 13, 2013 at 08:00 #

The only Beyonce looks I have liked head to toe ever, have happened in recent weeks and this is no exception. However it is most definitely too much. Whatever she was thinking when deciding on this outfit is what she should have been thinking in the past Oscar celebrations she has attended.

If I have to be real picky I guess her roots (besides the inappropriateness) are the only wrong here. I finally accept now that she has no intentions of not ever being blonde, or orangey blonde, or whatever her colour is… But the whole roots look doesn’t always work. It’s too harsh.

Also I have just seen other images from this premiere. Except Bey and sister Solange, this must have been THE WORST red carpet of the century.

• Beta February 13, 2013 at 13:16 #

yes the roots are awful. They are probably a super expensive latest trend dyeing technique because Beyonce is not one to leave those kind of things unattended. But they look bad :P

13. Ayishaa February 13, 2013 at 08:01 #

The dress doesn’t look good on her as much as it does on the model. Am guessing because she has more busts than the model, it made the waist of the dress much higher on her

• Fiona February 13, 2013 at 08:11 #

Good point about the waistline -I was trying to see how the dress had changed and it pulls the whole dress up by being stretched over her much larger chest. Shame as it is a beautiful gown but should be on someone like Kate Hudson.

14. Ala February 13, 2013 at 08:03 #

I love Elie Saab dresses, but this particular one looks like it’s on backwards :S

Agree with it looking too overdressed – even if it was for a silver screen showing I’d still feel that was the case, let alone a tv premiere. That aside, from the waist down, she looks great.

15. msd February 13, 2013 at 08:13 #

This may be Elie Saab but it looks very, very tacky.

16. Alex February 13, 2013 at 08:14 #

I love this dress.
    But on Beyonce, I dislike it.
    :-(

17. dreamz February 13, 2013 at 09:17 #

Gown is not flattering on her.

18. ahot February 13, 2013 at 09:46 #

This is just… wrong. You know it´s bad when a Elie Saab is made to look like a design of House of Dereon. Nothing is working here, & the hair is just awful. She should stick to designers like George Chakra or Versace, Elie Saab is too refined for her shtick.

19. Lalitha February 13, 2013 at 10:03 #

I prefer the gown on the runway model. This is a miss for Beyonce.

20. Zissou February 13, 2013 at 10:07 #

I am not the biggest fan of how the dress sits on her, but I have no problems with a grand dress for this event – we’re talking about Beyonce! She’s one of the world’s biggest starts and we’re talking about a film celebrating her – you don’t really apply average Jane rules to her.

21. Giada February 13, 2013 at 11:36 #

I may be one of the few here who doesn’t think it’s overdressed. It’s the premiere of a documentary which in my view equals the premiere of a movie. This would be appropiate for a movie premiere so why not for a documentary premiere?

In the past few years, Beyoncé has been slightly changing her style. Less House of Dereon, less pageantry-like, less Vegas and slowly changing into more modern, edgy and minimalist looks. But sometimes it seems, she can’t contain the Dereon ;), and it still comes out. This dress would have been better styled and would have looked more elegant with her hair pulled back, no roots and the belt. It’s also interesting to see what her body looks like in a dress where she isn’t able to put on her usual waist-cinching shapewear.

• Giada February 13, 2013 at 11:38 #

I meant appropRiate of course ;).

22. Jason February 13, 2013 at 12:20 #

Good grief- this is no less “event appropriate” than Lady Gaga wearing Ateier Versace through an airport. This is a documentary FILM that Beyonce made, and she is one of the biggest stars in the world. Let her enjoy this moment!

23. Dolly February 13, 2013 at 12:37 #

Urgh, I really hate the way she pushes her chest out making the dress look quite cheap on the top half. I adore Elie Saab but dont adore this look on her at all..

24. Beta February 13, 2013 at 13:11 #

Beyonce is too often OTT. That’s why I prefer Solange’s style by a landslide.
    She’s presenting a documentary about her life, so to me dressing up so much reads a tad narcissist.
    She does carry the dress well, her figure is sick. I dont like the boobage in the dress but the colour and the appliques are divine.

25. Deb February 13, 2013 at 13:25 #

I love Elie Saab and love Beyonce, but this dress does not work for someone as chesty as she is. It removes any elegance that the dress once had.

And even though I agree this is OTT for a documentary premiere, I would have been bored and disappointed if I saw this come down the Grammys red carpet. Ideally, I would have kept the Osman jumpsuit at the Grammys and then had her wear a fun suit or a patterned mini dress to this premiere.

• Deb February 13, 2013 at 13:26 #

I wish her fun street style looks that we see on Instagram would be reflected more in her red carpet looks.

26. dee February 13, 2013 at 13:50 #

She should have worn this to the Grammys and the outfit she wore to the Grammys should have worn to this event. I agree with others about the boobage and hairstyle.

27. Amy February 13, 2013 at 14:18 #

too much boobage for me but she still looks amazing

28. Amanda February 13, 2013 at 15:01 #

Her last few looks have been inappropriate for each of those events, in my opinion. She wore an evening gown to the inauguration at 11 in the morning, when it was not about her, in addition to her too casual Grammy look and this too formal look! She looks great, yes, but not appropriate.

29. Pedro February 13, 2013 at 15:44 #

The dress looks very unflattering and tacky on her

30. sara February 13, 2013 at 18:58 #

I don’t care that this was a doc premier, but just in general, the dress is not flattering on her. I didn’t think “wow” when I saw this, as I should have with this gown. Another poster mentioned it would have been better on someone like kate hudson and I agree. Its too wide around the chest and bunches around the waist and maybe its the color that isn’t the best for her as well. Although I’m indifferent to her music and I appreciate her political involvement and encouraging youth to get involved, what exactly has beyonce done to merit such praise and worldwide accolade? I get it, the girl can sing, but so lady rihanna and carrie underwood and many other young females but we dont see them being called “queen _____ rules the world” in headlines. Just curious how this all happened. But props to her!

31. Sara February 13, 2013 at 19:06 #

I’m not loving this look on her. On the model it’s beautiful

32. Alfie February 13, 2013 at 21:45 #

The gown was going to look different on whoever wore it off the runway, so I can’t really condemn that, I do wish the hair was different though, if she would have worn it parted and curled like she did at the Superbowl press conference it would have made a huge difference and do the dress justice.

33. EmmaWoodhouse February 14, 2013 at 00:29 #

Not liking this look. The extremely revealing top ruins it for me. As someone else said, it looks like it’s on backwards–it practically has no front. Not liking it at all which is sad because I love Elie Saab. Her hair doesn’t look good here either.

34. naya February 14, 2013 at 18:55 #

and this is how you can make an Elie Saab couture gown look cheap!

35. Pablo February 15, 2013 at 08:13 #

Luv her, but this is just the worse pose ever. Lets pretend it never happened.

36. Jess2 February 16, 2013 at 04:55 #

I love Beyonce but unfortunately this look isn’t working, probably because of her hair and the pose.

37. Jamie February 16, 2013 at 05:02 #

Gorgeous gown! She should have worn this for the Grammys! The pose is not the best, but I forgive her this time! Just don’t do it again B, you hear!!