12.02.13

Victoria Beckham Fall 2013

Victoria Beckham Fall 2013 NYFW

On Sunday morning, my first presentation was the Victoria Beckham Fall 2013 show.

Following her exciting foray into separates for Spring 2013, we were all eagerly anticipating which direction she would go next.

We saw British heritage materials, such as tweed, plaid and herringbone, knits (for the first time), more chic separates, and fewer signature fitted dresses, which made room for dresses with slightly looser silhouettes with keyhole or draped detailing.

Updating the ‘Le Smoking’ jacket, Victoria produced a tuxedo with satin lapels and slash sleeves to make it more cape-like; I expect to see VB wearing this several times – both the dress and jacket.

As with each season, you can feel the growth and confidence within Victoria’s designs.

In the past, we’ve seen the likes of Selita Ebanks and Blake Lively wear Victoria’s dresses.

This collection feels like it was made for the likes of Nicole Kidman, Julianna Margulies, Gemma Arterton, Helen Hunt, Tilda Swinton, Marion Cotillard and Jessica Chastain – powerful A-listers who want to look chic and sexy at the same time.

Manolo Blahnik created the kitten-heel booties which I’m sure will also be a huge hit.

Models carried Victoria Beckham’s bags in the same manner we have seen the designer herself carry them.

The best tweet after the Victoria Beckham show came from Hugh Wright, who said “Anyone who still thinks @victoriabeckham isn’t a serious designer, ask Anna Wintour, Suzie Menkes & Jefferson Hack”.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Front Row: David Beckham and Anna Wintour

Who I See Wearing This Collection: Those listed above.

Favourites: Look 12 and Look 17

Credit: Style.com

Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Elie Saab Fall 2014 Couture Red Carpet Wish List

Miranda Kerr In Peter Pilotto - Kids Helpline Ambassador Unveiling

Miranda Kerr In Peter Pilotto – Kids Helpline Ambassador Unveiling

29 Responses to Victoria Beckham Fall 2013

1. Jar February 12, 2013 at 18:41 #

I think what is great about this collection is that because of the looser silhouettes it really opens up the collection to more women of different body shapes. Her other collections seemed like they would only flatter women with size 2 bodies.

• SilentVisitor February 12, 2013 at 20:09 #

I disagree. Serena Williams wore one of her dresses and was even chosen by FC as BDOTW. SW is certainly not a size 2…….Her dresses can be worn by most women

• Christine February 13, 2013 at 02:19 #

Actually her clothes look better on those with curves. Ironically! I like her dresses. That flatter all shapes and sizes unlike some designers.

• Beta February 14, 2013 at 12:47 #

I agree with all of you. To rock a fitted dress you need a tight body, be it size 2 or 10 (im not good with US sizes, but you know what I mean).
        Looser silhouettes are better for “problem areas”. I would feel uncomfortable wearing the tight dresses but I would totally wear dresses from this collection. Plus its more work friendly + comfortable :)

2. Yeliz February 12, 2013 at 19:33 #

She is definitely a serious designer, I really like this collection.

3. Morgan February 12, 2013 at 19:54 #

FC, I want to see what YOU wore!

4. Leeann February 12, 2013 at 19:59 #

The girls done good

5. helene February 12, 2013 at 20:08 #

The critics about this collection are excellent!! she did a very good job! she mixed very interesting texture!
    well done victoria

6. anjos February 12, 2013 at 20:24 #

Her best collection yet. Such clean sophisticated lines, but so much creativity in the same time. Colors are very interesting, too.

7. Rebecca Z February 12, 2013 at 21:05 #

Some of the looks are a tad on the clunky side, but generally I like it a lot. Especially love look 24–gorgeous!!!

• MissAmynae February 13, 2013 at 00:59 #

I need that jacket, like yesterday. It is divine.

8. vicky February 12, 2013 at 21:13 #

I really like this collection because you can see confidence in every piece. Shes now playing with separates, different textures, patterns, fabrics etc. Hopefully from now on it will be “Victoria Beckham, designer” not “Victoria Beckham, popstar/WAG-turned-designer”, she is clearly so much better than that! She IS a designer!

My personal taste however lacked a bit of color, but it is a fall collection and funnily enough the most colorful piece (the yellow coat) happens to be my least favorite. It didn’t fit in with the rest. The Manolo kitten “boots” didn’t look right either.
    Her Victoria collection presented today was however to die for, every single piece, and the bags! ❤

9. Ysatis February 12, 2013 at 22:48 #

Fashion critics are irrelevant. They rarely dare to criticize designers.

It’s obvious this is the work of a more confident person and less Mouretesque. However I think that the success of Victoria’s previous work was the fact that her clothes could appeal to a large number of women. There was no need to be a fashionista, daring or fashion forward to love her clothes. It was very wearable (if you have a nice figure), flattering, feminine, elegant and simple. I think she is taking a risk with this new collection.

10. Jones19 February 13, 2013 at 00:10 #

Her best collection by far. Love it!

11. Anders White February 13, 2013 at 00:36 #

Hugh Wright is my best friend and he’ll do *anything* to get in with Mrs Beckham!

12. EmmaWoodhouse February 13, 2013 at 02:11 #

Love: the branching out, the bright blue color pops, the excellent tailoring.
    Not Feeling: the plunging necklines and occasional slits, the boxier shapes.

13. Pedro February 13, 2013 at 02:55 #

This is her best collection, for sure!

I just love EVERYTHING!

Queen VB is becoming one of my favorite desiners in recent seasons … and she keeps getting better and better! I’m very proud

14. nokia February 13, 2013 at 06:57 #

I like some of the pieces but not all. FC, is it just me or some of the tops look a lot like celine? and she def got the inspiration of the slash sleeves from the Junya coat that she wore before.

15. Rashmi February 13, 2013 at 08:05 #

What I love about this collection is, Its the same, yet so different. The color pallet used specially, its unusual but gorgeous! Its non fussy and straight to the point. Sleek and classy!

PS: She is really creating a trend for carrying the bags :D

16. ahot February 13, 2013 at 09:52 #

One of each, please. This is how much i loved he collection. She is taking a risk yes, but i feel they will sell out like before.

17. nina February 13, 2013 at 11:05 #

I like the collection but I doubt it is Victoria who designs it…To me, she is a woman who does not show self confidence, who continues to wear hair extensions and sunglasses that make her look like a bumble bee, and who has not found her own style yet. This woman wears edgy designers just to be taken seriously from the fashion crowd, even if she doesn’t have the personality to wear them. This woman cannot design these clothes, which by the way, are classic and nice but they don’t bring anything new to the fashion world. It doesn’t take a genius to design something that has already been done. The silhouettes, the colors, and all the rest is not something we already have not seen.

• Linda February 13, 2013 at 21:53 #

I concur!!! Everything you said is spot on you can see how she takes from other designers its not influence its straight up stealing!! Its a joke to call someone a designer she didnt even dress well until she had her fashion line and even still I dont think she dresses well there is nothing inspiring about her clothes or the way she wears it she never gets it right and I find it other that fashion critic always praises her when she is tacky and boring

• nina February 15, 2013 at 13:32 #

My point exactly! Remember when she used to have large breast implants, a terrible orange tan, tacky hair extensions and wore only Roberto Cavalli? I think she’s still that tacky girl trying to be more refined and elegant. The woman is so stiff; she looks like she’s trying too much or trying to give to photographers her best angle. She has never given me the feeling that she’s COMFORTABLE IN HER OWN SKIN OR CLOTHES…and that’s the main thing she’s missing.

• Beta February 14, 2013 at 12:42 #

interesting comment. She probably has help, I dont know to what extent.
      Having said that, I seriously doubt that, for example, Karl Lagerfeld designs Chanel, Fendi, and his other lines (designs as in puts in hours of hard work, he probably does sketch stuff).

• nina February 15, 2013 at 13:41 #

You cannot compare Victoria with Karl. You just cant!!! Yes, every designer has a team of other designers who help them. Versace’s accessories are designed by Christopher Kane. Every year Marc Jacobs designs two collections for Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Marc Jacobs Resort. Do you think he does them all himself? Of course he has a huge staff, but his aesthetic and his signature touch are in every collection. A good designer is the one who can design a dress, cut its pattern and finish the product. But now fashion is more business than art, and I don’t think there is anyone so naïve out there to think they still do. The days of Coco Chanel and Christian Dior are gone. However, I still cannot call Victoria – or any celebrity who has a clothing line – a designer. To me, it is an offense to the real designers.

18. st.james February 13, 2013 at 11:13 #

This is such a refined and quietly confident collection. Some of these pieces are classic gems that will be worn and still look relevant years from now. I applaud her.

19. TeaAtTwo February 14, 2013 at 01:05 #

Interesting change of direction with the new shapes. I’m most excited to see how Victoria wears them.

20. Beta February 14, 2013 at 12:34 #

Im lusting over the black dress pictured above with the tulip bottom, and the grey dress. VB collection totally speaks to me.
    I also really really like the Victoria line.

21. dee February 14, 2013 at 15:53 #

This collection is just okay for me.