11.02.13

Rihanna In Azzedine Alaia – 2013 Grammy Awards

2013Grammys_Rihanna1

Multiple nominee Rihanna played the ultimate lady in red at the 2013 Grammy Awards, hosted this evening at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The Barbadian beauty looked unbelievably stunning—and sophisticated—in her candy-apple-coloured, custom dress by Azzedine Alaia that was positively delicious.

The diaphanous A-line design with a long train was a flowing addition to the red carpet. I loved the criss-cross detail in the front that continued at the back.

And because this is the boundaries-pushing Rihanna after all, the look was slightly see-through, as she played her own game of peek-a-boo at the awards show.

This was an incredible outing from Ri Ri, especially with her refined styling that included minimal jewels, pretty ombre curls and a red lippie.

Kat Dennings In Vivienne Westwood - 2013 Grammy Awards

Kat Dennings In Vivienne Westwood – 2013 Grammy Awards

Faith Hill In J. Mendel - 2013 Grammy Awards

Faith Hill In J. Mendel – 2013 Grammy Awards

62 Comments

62 Responses to Rihanna In Azzedine Alaia – 2013 Grammy Awards

1. mirela February 11, 2013 at 02:16 #

stunning!!!

• Francois Bresmal February 11, 2013 at 11:10 #

I’m still thrilled from last nignt! I couldn’t believe my eyes! Was that the Unapologetic Riri that posed naked on her cover with a trashy gaze? I felt like back in the Pon de replay era with her long brunette locks! The dress is perfect and so is the makeup. When you look at this outfit there’s nothing groundbreaking but just considering that it is Rihanna makes it groundbreaking, she’s my best dressed of the night!

2. Nat39 February 11, 2013 at 02:17 #

LOVE!!! The colour, the delicate flowing fabric, the pretty almost doll-like hair and makeup, the subtle jewels that don´t overpower the look – love it so much I can forgive the slight ´see-throughness´.

• Christine February 11, 2013 at 02:22 #

This is a 10. Love this! Shutting it down.

3. AW February 11, 2013 at 02:20 #

I’m sorry but this girl needs several seats.

She’s inappropriate, trashy, something about her seems gruff and I get the whole “artist” thing but good grief, have some class.

The gown could be beautiful if it was more modest I suppose. But as is, it is a major fail and I am no prude.

• Alina February 11, 2013 at 16:21 #

ditto.

• Tabatha June 19, 2013 at 21:15 #

Rihanna is a grown women she can do what ever she wants cant nobody judge her but god and she obviously aint trying to be perfect for nobody so if you dont like her stfu cause she gone do her regardless…..

4. MaddyEliza February 11, 2013 at 02:21 #

I HATE see-through. HATE HATE HATE. But I have to say, WOW. What an absolutely stunning look!! Not only am I blown away because this is Rihanna looking so beautiful and sophisticated, but it’s just an incredible look in general!! Even with the see-through, I already know she’s going to be one of my best dressed. Amazing. I love it.

5. Anne February 11, 2013 at 02:27 #

If I just look at the wide shots of her on the red carpet, I love this. But, when you get up close and have to come to terms with the see-through, outline of a nipple ring and her tattoo, it really mars what could have been perfect.

• CreoleLady February 11, 2013 at 02:33 #

Ew, is that what that is? Yuck, tmi, the nipple ring is putting me off. I think I’ll avoid looking at close-ups, lol.

6. CreoleLady February 11, 2013 at 02:28 #

The only thing I dislike is the center part in her hair. The dress is beautiful — wish I could see more of this side of Alaia.

• ahot February 11, 2013 at 08:49 #

+ 1000! Celebs need to rock more of Alaia´s other designs. He is so talented!

• effieee February 11, 2013 at 08:58 #

Agreed on all points.
      Rihanna’s face shape isn’t suited to a center part. Her usual side part would’ve been more suitable.
      Hopefully celebrities start wearing different designs by Alaia; he’s amazingly talents, but his knitted bodycon dresses get too much red carpet exposure.

• Beta February 11, 2013 at 10:05 #

+1 me too! I often have the sense that Alaia is like V. Westwood, that all of the dresses the celebs choose are the same silhouette in different colours. So im STUNNED to see this gorgeous red dress.
      agree with the hair, although overall she looks amazing

• TeaAtTwo February 11, 2013 at 19:08 #

This is so different to all the other stuff worn by by celebs. Going through the RCFA archives I thought he was kind of one-note but this is gorgeous, love the colour. The nipple showing throwing brings the look down for me though. I kind of admire that she doesn’t let her high hairline dictate her hairstyle.

7. Prudence February 11, 2013 at 02:33 #

honestly, I didnt like this. I feel like it is so NOT her or NO grammy appropriate. Im so confused with her, you cant be all sexy and trying to be all in our faces and unapologetic with all kinda sexy outfits and then wear this to the grammys, all covered. Like this is so anne hathway to me I just dont get this at all. and her wig is aweful, her forhead is insanely big.

• S-R February 25, 2013 at 17:21 #

The world knows Rihanna’s forehead is big. You folks repeat the same tune. Any who, this is Rihanna trying to look like a tasteful lady with class. Of course, she quickly reminded us that she is still rather “ratchet” with her nipples and nipple ring printing through. She still manages to look decent, however. I am just not as stunned as many of you are.

8. arang February 11, 2013 at 02:36 #

Rihanna can be hit or miss for me but I love this. It is as delicious and sophisticated as you said. Unfortunately, I’m really disappointed (though somehow not surprised) by the very obvious lack of support in the bodice. I can deal with the see-through but this problem could easily be avoided and cheapens the whole look for me.

9. ash February 11, 2013 at 02:41 #

I like this. The most cleaned up Rihanna has looked in a long time.. That dress though, I wish someone lie Jennifer Lawrence would have worn this dress.

10. AnnaP February 11, 2013 at 02:53 #

Now THAT is a dress!! Absolutely stunning and it suits her down to the ground. Beautiful colour, styling and fit.

11. Eve_V February 11, 2013 at 02:59 #

Nipple ring aside, this gives me flashbacks of Rihanna circa 2006-2007. Simple, stylish, elegant, not a hint of trying too hard. Too bad that phase didn’t last that long.

12. Pedro February 11, 2013 at 03:00 #

WOW

She looks PERFECT! One of the her best looks, ever

13. Shaina February 11, 2013 at 03:16 #

This is going down in Rihanna hall of fame (minus the nips)! She looks mindblowingly amazing.

14. Jessica February 11, 2013 at 03:24 #

I wish it wasn’t see through! If it wasn’t, it would have surely been one of my best dressed. I am having trouble getting over the see through-ness . It’s too bad!

15. Marybeth February 11, 2013 at 03:29 #

Beautiful color and I love the skirt. But I don’t particularly like the way the bodice fits her — and what’s the point with the nipple ring?
    The bump looks awful under the fabric.
    If you want to be “daring,” fine, but don’t spoil the aesthetics of a look doing so. ;)

• Rashmi February 11, 2013 at 06:22 #

+1.
      What is the whole point of a nipple ring, when its destroying the entire look. Imagine the people who she interacts with, Lol it will be highlyyy distracting!

Leaving that aside , she is absolutely breathtaking in that dress!

16. GT February 11, 2013 at 03:52 #

This look doesn’t display the daring badass we’ve all come to know on the red carpet but she looks like a woman in love.

• Gemma February 11, 2013 at 21:42 #

ew

17. Sam February 11, 2013 at 04:30 #

I love this dress, she looks great in it! Though there’s something weird with her hair, is it a wig?

18. Rebecca Z February 11, 2013 at 04:35 #

Spectacular. She looks amazing. It’s her dress and she is going to wear it her way. Just like everything else.

19. LC February 11, 2013 at 05:21 #

This is quite a change for RiRi’s usual look. Rihanna looking so beautiful and sophisticated. Love it.

20. LC February 11, 2013 at 05:22 #

Oh, and the hair. It must be fake right? Didn’t she have super short hair not too long ago?

21. the ogre February 11, 2013 at 06:17 #

i’m going to try and ignore the see-through part but this is one hell of a look for rihanna. she looks quite the doll if u ask me and not at all cheap in my opinion. i’m not a very big rihanna fan but she really does knock it out of the ball park over here! i love this gown. it’s dreamy bcoz of all those layers! i also like her stance and posture!

• dee February 11, 2013 at 13:30 #

22. Bengino February 11, 2013 at 06:28 #

goddess!love her lip and eyes But don’t like these pics you selected, ~ love the the photo in front of the plate ~

23. Yeliz February 11, 2013 at 06:51 #

I LOVE this look. It’s flawless from head to toe and one of the best of the night.

24. kiwi February 11, 2013 at 08:04 #

My jaw’s still on the floor.. wow

25. Jeremy February 11, 2013 at 08:16 #

100% the best dressed of the night, imo. and so far, BDOTW for me.

she looks quite literally jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

i love how versatile Rihanna is. she can turn on the diva elegance in a stunning gown like this, or she can go rockstar edgy, as she’s done many times in the past, with equal aplomb.

the only consistency seems to be that she’s always ridiculously sexy. and that she can pull off anything.

26. msd February 11, 2013 at 08:28 #

Great dress, bad extensions.

27. Alex February 11, 2013 at 09:34 #

Beautiful.
    But I’m sad about her date :-(

• Gemma February 11, 2013 at 21:41 #

• reemito February 13, 2013 at 13:21 #

28. Annel February 11, 2013 at 10:01 #

Ok, blew me backwards! Simply stunning! And normally I don’t like her trashy style. But here she balances elegance and trash in a good way!

29. Noemi February 11, 2013 at 10:03 #

Like the dress, don’t like her, at all. Yes, it’s much improvement considering all her tacky looks. But she’s one of the tackiest women of the show business and nice dress doesn’t make me change my mind. And it’s so see through…

30. Jess2 February 11, 2013 at 11:22 #

She looks so stunning, the colour is divine on her!

31. jeremyrain February 11, 2013 at 11:44 #

Okay, all the minor flaws besides, this look is absolutely gobsmack!

32. Stel February 11, 2013 at 11:56 #

AT LAST!! I see a 24 year old girl!! Finally!! Perfect!

33. Moxie February 11, 2013 at 12:54 #

One of my favorite looks in the long shots, but when you get in to the close-ups you can see she needed another layer. A little too sheer in places it shouldn’t be.

34. EmmaWoodhouse February 11, 2013 at 13:29 #

I am SO disappoiinted because when i though this was lined I loved it and it was one of my favorites–I thought, finally, how not desperate! But then I saw that it was see-through, and that just makes it trashy and classless. SIGH.

35. bengino February 11, 2013 at 14:12 #

simple but sexy ~charming ~ I love her smileeeeeeee!!

36. Amy February 11, 2013 at 14:23 #

this works, i like it

37. Giada February 11, 2013 at 14:32 #

I really feel like she really let herself down. With a bit more lining in the bodice, different hair and without the nipple ring, this would have been absolutely perfect! She is so beautiful. She would have been THE best dressed. But no, Rihanna equals sexy and edgy with see through outfits with obvious nipple rings and showing pics of various states of undress (with or without a blunt) on her twitter-account. I’m too jaded for this stuff. Yes I get it Rihanna … you’re edgy. Yawn.

• Miss Madison February 11, 2013 at 15:11 #

Yawn …Rihanna is being herself…no filter. She don’t care about what you think.

• Kate February 11, 2013 at 20:54 #

Someone who uses social media like Rihanna does cares about what the audience thinks, yes. Whether it’s because she recognizes it’s a pretty good marketing strategy or because she simply wants the attention, who knows?

38. jones19 February 11, 2013 at 14:49 #

Stunning stunning stunning! Love everything about this!

39. Joan February 11, 2013 at 18:29 #

Im really impressed she looks so beautiful. I think she neber looked better then this

40. Jess February 11, 2013 at 19:14 #

incredible, she looks utterly gorgeous

41. bas February 11, 2013 at 20:24 #

From affar it is a god look, but up close… looks tacky. This is a NO from me.

42. Jai February 11, 2013 at 21:32 #

That hair is fug. Don’t like the dress either.

43. Gemma February 11, 2013 at 21:40 #

BDOTY.
    full stop.

(actually no, I just want to add – I can NOT handle her relationship choice)

44. Louise February 12, 2013 at 10:13 #

The look from afar looks very girly and sensible… classy. But up-close, because it’s sheer, it gives it a hidden edge kind of saying to the people “it’s still Riri” I like it, for her.

45. Laura February 28, 2013 at 04:15 #