10.02.13

Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior - 2013 BAFTA Awards

‘Silver Linings Playbook’ starlet Jennifer Lawrence attended the 2013 BAFTA Awards on Sunday, hosted at the Royal Opera House in London.

The current face of Miss Dior, she naturally chose a Christian Dior Couture design for the affair, although chilly, rainy environs necessitated a long overcoat that initially clouded the red-carpet arrival of the gown.

Once she removed the dark wrap in the press room, a strapless, ballet pink confection emerged, where a waterfall of iridescent sequin embellishment added a note of radiance.

With the gown’s sparkle, Jennifer skipped a necklace in favour of a long, geometric pendant earring.

A strong smoky eye and severely swept-back hair finished this look.

The Leading Actress nominee has lately had a rough go of it on red carpets, battling illness and some rather ill-suited sartorial statements.

With this more glamorous and girly exit from Jennifer, she continues to show she’s a red-carpet wild card. Was this look an ace for you or not?

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior

Credit: Getty

51 Comments
Sally Field In Antonio Berardi - 2013 BAFTA Awards

Sally Field In Antonio Berardi – 2013 BAFTA Awards

Laura Bailey In Roksanda Illinic - 2013 BAFTA Awards

Laura Bailey In Roksanda Illinic – 2013 BAFTA Awards

51 Responses to Jennifer Lawrence In Christian Dior Couture – 2013 BAFTA Awards

1. Christine February 10, 2013 at 22:20 #

Pretty but I know she can do much better.

• Marybeth February 10, 2013 at 22:46 #

• Kate February 10, 2013 at 23:46 #

I heard that she switched stylists after her Hunger Games promo tour. An unfortunate decision, in my opinion. She’s been so almost-a-hit-but-quite-often-a-miss this season.

This look is…meh.

• Kennedy February 11, 2013 at 00:41 #

Agreed.

Also the fit around the bust is all wrong. It looks like it’s going to fall off at any moment. When I was watching the ceremony on TV and she was presenting an award, I seriously thought she was about to have a nipslip. She has lost a lot of weight so maybe the gown wasn’t fitted correctly. In any case, this is a semi-win for Lawrence but I still think she should find a new stylist.

2. Yeliz February 10, 2013 at 22:23 #

That black coat over this gown looked terrible, I am glad to see this gown without the coat. She looks nice here, better than most of her looks during awards season.

• jessicamarantelli February 10, 2013 at 22:26 #

It was raining and even snowing at one point in London. I imagine that you would want a coat too cause I sure as hell would of.

• Georgia February 10, 2013 at 22:27 #

especially about a week after recovering from pneumonia

• Yeliz February 10, 2013 at 22:33 #

Of course I would wear a coat too, it’s freezing in my country as well, but I would wear one which looks better over a gown.

• Fiona February 11, 2013 at 04:37 #

Agree – there are some amazing coats she could have chosen to make some red carpet impact without what looks like a man’s black overcoat.

3. jessicamarantelli February 10, 2013 at 22:23 #

I love Jennifer and I love this dior gown but still wish she had gotten to wear Marions dior. lovely colour and great styling to go with it. I want those drop earrings!!

• Luis February 10, 2013 at 22:28 #

+1. That yellow dress screams Jennifer Lawrence!

• JJovana February 11, 2013 at 14:27 #

Agreed.

4. Prudence February 10, 2013 at 22:24 #

I think its time to end the dior x jlawrence collab. It doesnt suite her at all. I mean charlize has killer it with them, but this girl theres always something off. Her gown is pretty, the hair is aweful like she ran out of the shower and brushed it back.

5. shap_half February 10, 2013 at 22:28 #

I think her hair and make-up are gorgeous, and she looks really beautiful, but that dress doesn’t suit her. Ugh. I’m dreading the Oscar, because there’s no way she isn’t contractually obligated to wear Dior there. She really is too young and edgy for the mature sophistication of Dior.

6. Angela February 10, 2013 at 22:30 #

Very pretty! Nice dress, cute earrings, and I’m glad she swept her hair back because if she left it forward, and god forbid curled it, then she would’ve made it look too princessy like Carrie underwood does often

7. Nat39 February 10, 2013 at 22:31 #

The gown is underwhelming, the coloured sequins and the ballet pink – looks so cheesy, not loving her choice of earrings, her eye makeup is too harsh and the hair is too severe for this sweet gown. Thumbs down from me.

8. Luiza M. February 10, 2013 at 22:31 #

LOVE it. This is the FIRST TIME EVER that I feel wowed by her.

9. EmmaWoodhouse February 10, 2013 at 22:35 #

Yes! I really like this look! (Not at all with the coat over it, of course, but that’s just for the weather). The dress if fun, fresh, glamourous and girly. It might have been hiked an inch (my usual complaint with strapless dresses) but other than that this is a great outing for Jennifer. Love how her hair is slicked back to show the earrings. She looks good.

• Emma February 10, 2013 at 22:46 #

+1 Best she’s looked in a while

10. Betelgeuze February 10, 2013 at 22:40 #

Let me just take a deep breath of relief.
    I love love love this look on Jennifer. The makeup’s great and those earrings are genious. She totally rocks it. That’s the (albeit rare) Dior x Jennifer Lawrence combination that works.
    It’s nice to see Jen looking her best again.
    Have I mentioned that I love those earrings?

11. TeaAtTwo February 10, 2013 at 22:41 #

Her best Dior moment so-far and one her best looks in a while. The pink shade with her toned-down tan looks so pretty and the hair gives a youthful glamour though a bit of waves would have been nice.
    I wished they’d picked more elegant coat/cape/shrug for the red carpet though.
    Now I actually look forward to her Oscar moment.

• Kate February 10, 2013 at 23:49 #

Yes, I think soft waves would’ve greatly enhanced the look for me. There’s a dissonance between her gown and the lacquered back hair.

12. CreoleLady February 10, 2013 at 22:42 #

No, no, a thousand times, no. Why these non-colors on someone who clearly comes to life in strong, clear, brights? What on earth was the thought behind the hair? Such styling is a tremendous disservice to a distinctive young woman with a gorgeous figure.

• Princess Chi Chi February 11, 2013 at 11:01 #

ITA to everything you said!!

• Jones19 February 11, 2013 at 15:28 #

Agreed! She’s such a stunning girl but Dior is all wrong for her. I wish she would wear more Pucci and Gurung.

13. Juju February 10, 2013 at 22:44 #

I think she looks great neck-up. Her hair and make-up are the best so far this award season. But the dress is… meh, whatever. I don’t think I’ll remember this look in a week from now.

14. Shelby February 10, 2013 at 22:49 #

Huge step up! Her hair leaves something to be desired as it looks like the rain got the best of it. Slicked back in a low bun might have served the look better. But the makeup is incredible. Nice juxtaposition with the ballet pink gown.

15. ramsay February 10, 2013 at 22:57 #

Her best Dior look to date in my opinion

• Rashmi February 11, 2013 at 09:50 #

+1.

16. Toyosi February 10, 2013 at 23:02 #

I admit this is best she’s looked in a while but the hair doesn’t suit the dress. Had a mermaid tail or a dress with more structure it would’ve suited the edgy hair better. Soft waves or a bun would’ve been much better for the princess dress. I am hoping for better at the Oscars especially following her red Calvin Klein dress.

17. Renee February 10, 2013 at 23:03 #

She’s wearing Jimmy Choo shoes!

18. Rodrigo February 10, 2013 at 23:41 #

The best she has ever look. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

19. Ella February 10, 2013 at 23:42 #

You can tell that she has been battling illness….her eyes seem to not quite be back to sparkling yet. However, this is one of my favorite looks from her in a while.

Jennifer has been all over the place…I cannot WAIT to see what direction she goes in for the Oscars

20. rebecca o February 10, 2013 at 23:53 #

This is boring but it’s much better than she normally looks on the red carpet. She looks her age for once.

21. anjos February 10, 2013 at 23:55 #

I have nothing to complain about this look, but nothing to write home about either.

• Mandy February 11, 2013 at 08:07 #

Perfectly said.

22. Cookie February 11, 2013 at 00:03 #

Now we’re talking! Except Jennifer Lawrence always looks better when she’s casual, like appearing on a talk show. Simple works best for her.

23. jen February 11, 2013 at 00:12 #

pretty. Love the hair

24. Kathryn February 11, 2013 at 00:14 #

Love the dress. HATE the hair she looks like she just got out of the shower.

25. ash February 11, 2013 at 00:20 #

I think Jennifer Lawrence is just too spunky and edgy for Dior to begin with. I love her, but she really doesn’t look like Dior woman.

26. Amy February 11, 2013 at 01:55 #

i like it, it’s cute and young. I still don’t think Jlaw is a Dior woman but this look works

27. Lola February 11, 2013 at 02:55 #

If I were J-Law, I would be pretty over being loaned all the second tier Dior gowns.

She looks beautiful (she IS beautiful) but it’s all down to here, not the gown. She needs to be represented better by both her stylist and Dior.

• Lola February 11, 2013 at 02:56 #

*down to her

28. Pene February 11, 2013 at 06:51 #

I prefer it with the coat

29. the ogre February 11, 2013 at 08:03 #

oh dear god! thank you so so much! finally she gets my attention! finally! she looks divine! i love the hair make up everything! that color can’t get better and it looks just perfect against her skin. great stuff!

30. pixie February 11, 2013 at 09:16 #

a stone grey / metallic floor length light coat, a less wet hair style and a pair of metallic dior pumps would go so much better with this look.

31. Jess2 February 11, 2013 at 12:05 #

I think she looks really beautiful and I even like this with the coat. Not loving the black pumps but can’t really see them so ill give it a pass. Hope she is feeling better.

32. JJovana February 11, 2013 at 14:32 #

I cannot get over that hair!! JLaw and Dior is not a great match, it seems. She needs something edgy..sexy and classy at the same time. Dior is not doing any favors for her. But then again, those Raf Simmons for Dior collections have been pretty boring and uninspiring, especially that last couture show. Everything looked so cheap except the yellow gown Marion wore. It kills me to say that the fashion world truly misses Galliano…

33. Moxie February 11, 2013 at 15:02 #

Love the gown, not the hair.

34. Parvati February 12, 2013 at 01:03 #

I’m not crazy about this look. The dress is nice, but I really dislike her hair, which ruins the look for me.

35. Louise February 12, 2013 at 10:34 #

I really really love her hair!! The dress is somewhat simple but I like it too. Probably not the most amazing look, but it’s pretty