10.02.13 Menswear

2013 BAFTA Awards Menswear Round Up

BAFTA Men

Keeping it classic with black tuxedos and bow ties was prevalent on the red carpet at the EE British Academy Film Awards in London on Sunday. But a handful of biggest stars took a chance with navy colours and velvet fabrics. The risks paid off – for the most part.

Ben Affleck: In addition to taking home the award for Best Director, Bendefinitely took home the award for best male grooming. That dark beard looked amazing with his Gucci Made-to-Order midnight blue velvet Marseille tuxedo. His tux displayed two buttons and notch lapels. Along with his tux, Ben wore a skinny collared white shirt, a matching flat tie in a four-in-hand knot, and black leather lace ups.

Bradley Cooper: Everything below the neck looked incredible on the star of ‘Silver Linings Playbook.’ Wearing a Ferragamo midnight navy three-piece tux with black satin peak lapels, Bradley looked every bit the part of a Best Actor nominee. He even paired it with a bow tie that he needs to straighten out. Unfortunately, it looks like the rain got to him and his hair looks a bit sloppy, considering he’s wearing a tux.

Chris Tucker: If there was one man on the red carpet that ruined his look with the little things, it was Chris Tucker. The navy colour looks great, but he went from looking like a stud to looking like a stooge thanks to his accents. Chris is great, funny actor, but it takes a specific type of confidence and power to pull off lapels that wide – Chris doesn’t have it. And that droopy, oversized bow tie isn’t helping matters.

BAFTA Men2

Eddie Redmayne: Looking like he was born to walk the red carpet, Eddie arrived in a Burberry midnight blue tux with two buttons and notch lapels. Doing everything a little different – and doing it perfectly – has been Eddie’s style as of late, so wearing blue makes sense. Though it’s not my favourite look of his, he finished it off with a similar-coloured bow tie and a silk pin dot pocket square. And as usual, it all fits just the way it should.

Javier Bardem: After playing a blonde-haired Bond villain, Javier classed up his look, going back to his natural hair color and graying beard. On the red carpet, he arrived wearing a Gucci Made-to-Order black, two-button Signoria tuxedo. He looked dapper and powerful with his wider peak lapels and black satin tie knotted nicely in a full Windsor knot.

Luke Evans: Several of the men wore what is one of the hottest trends of the season – velvet. Luke was the only one to sport burgundy velvet, though. With the perfectly fit jacket that featured wide, black peak lapels and black pocket accents, he certainly stunned on the carpet. He wisely wore it with black pants and a shirt with black studs and a black bow tie. A very clean look, making him one of the night’s best dressed.

Damian Lewis: Clothed in Burberry turquoise velvet, Damian stole the show on the red carpet as he has done multiple times in the past few months. The look paired nicely with that of his wife Helen McCrory’s. Not only did their greenish hues play well with each other, they looked incredible contrasting with Damian’s red hair. To complete his outfit, the ‘Homeland’ star wore black shoes, a black bow tie, and a white shirt, pocket square combo.

Credit: Getty

Naomie Harris In Gucci - 2014 BAFTAs

Naomie Harris In Gucci – 2014 BAFTAs

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 BAFTA Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 BAFTA Awards?

20 Responses to 2013 BAFTA Awards Menswear Round Up

1. Yeliz February 10, 2013 at 23:32 #

Eddie is my favourite of the bunch. Didn’t Eddie also wear the velvet suit Damian Lewis wears?

2. Dani February 10, 2013 at 23:32 #

Eddie was (predictably!) my best dressed even if he did have food poisoning, closely followed by Luke Evans. A very well dressed event!

3. ramsay February 10, 2013 at 23:34 #

Bradley gets my vote for best dressed

4. Nat39 February 10, 2013 at 23:39 #

Luke Evans is rocking that burgundy velvet jacket, LOVE (!!), glad he didn’t go all the way with the velvet like Damian and broke it up with the black pants. He and Bradley Cooper are my 2 favourite here.

• Nat39 February 11, 2013 at 00:34 #

On the side note, what´s with all the Eddiction? :) Others can rock velvet too and do it better. Kudos to Luke. And if anyone has a problem with wearing a jacket a size too small from time to time that would be Eddie. He doesn´t look his best to me here and I´m a fan.

• Nat39 February 11, 2013 at 20:55 #

Why didn’t I mention Ben?? He looks fabulous (!!)

5. Rafael February 10, 2013 at 23:39 #

Im loving Luke Evans
    BDOTW!

• dee February 11, 2013 at 13:40 #

Me too. Love his burgundy jacket.

6. jessicamarantelli February 10, 2013 at 23:42 #

EDDIE wins hands down, yet again…and the poor thing then spent the awards show in the bathroom with food posioning. bradley and ben come in a close second but I like that menswear is geting more adventurous and these hotties are taking more risks.

7. Christine February 10, 2013 at 23:44 #

Luke Evans is my favorite from the bunch.

8. TeaAtTwo February 10, 2013 at 23:51 #

Bradley looks smooth in his three piece. Luke gets major Kudos for the burgundy jacket. Eddie’s suit fit as always is superb. I like the top half Damien’s look but not sure about the trousers, maybe it’s the fit. Ben looks handsome but I wish he and Javier had worn bow ties.

9. anjos February 10, 2013 at 23:52 #

How is it that every other guy on the red carpet looks same old ordinary, and then there’s Eddie looking like from a fashion magazine, whether he goes for something more unconventional or a classic tux like in this case. He picks the most flattering cuts for himself, that’s the thing. Especially when it comes to pants. Never too long or too wide.

• Molly February 11, 2013 at 00:00 #

Agreed!
      I actually like some of the other guys suits, but none of them actually fit! All of them have problems with the jacket being too big or small and their pants arent tailored right. Eddie hits the nail on the head once again!

10. EmmaWoodhouse February 10, 2013 at 23:57 #

Ben, Bradley, and Eddie are my favorites. Luke and Damian need to leave velvet to Eddie; Javier looks just OK and I hate Chris’s lapels and bow-tie.

11. Erin February 11, 2013 at 00:05 #

I know he went with a less daring suit, but I still loved Tom Hiddleston’s Armani.

12. jessicamarantelli February 11, 2013 at 00:09 #

FC- Got a few more men that you have to add to your roundup. Tom Hiddleston looked hot and has the best smile and also Hugh Jackman looked very dapper.

13. Marybeth February 11, 2013 at 00:59 #

Ben Affleck is my favorite. Head to toe perfection.
    I love Bradley Cooper’s 3-piece but agree with FC that his hair is too sloppy for such a sharp outfit.

Don’t throw tomatoes at me (!!!) but I’m not crazy about Eddie Redmayne’s look this time. I think the pants are a bit too skinny and I don’t like the way the coat splays open below the fastened button, showing a patch of his shirt. This kind of thing does not work (for me)in classic formal wear.

14. noo February 11, 2013 at 05:44 #

bradley cooper steals the show for me!

15. Arina February 11, 2013 at 09:30 #

Luke is my favourite, Eddie and Damian completing the top 3. :) Tom Hiddleston also looked very good in Armani.

16. Anne G February 11, 2013 at 09:35 #

Nicholas hoult is my best dressed. I hope if you have time to add him to your round up.