Zhang Ziyi In Christian Dior Couture - 'The Grandmaster' Berlinale Film Festival PremiereZhang Ziyi waltzed her way down the red carpet on Thursday night for the premiere of ‘The Grandmaster’ during the 63rd Berlinale International Film Festival in Berlin, Germany.

For her gown, the Chinese actress looked back a few seasons to designer Raf Simons’ Christian Dior Fall 2012 Couture collection.

I can’t help but love the glamour of this ‘New Look’-inspired silhouette, what with its cinched bodice and classic full skirt. The dress’s painterly tie-dye effect in shades of grassy green and lime only increased the drama and made this look particularly electric.

But with the addition of the fur shrug, a diamond necklace and earrings, and a Fendi handbag, not to mention those towering Christian Louboutin pumps, I found myself experiencing sensory overload.

The dress and its statement print speaks for itself without the clutter (beautiful clutter as it were) of the abundant accessories.

At least Zhang slicked her hair into a chic updo and opted for a soft pink pout instead of the runway’s neon hues. Anything else would have been far too much.

If you’re having a slight déjà vu moment as I did, it’s because Jennifer Lawrence wore a very similar gown from Dior’s Fall 2012 offering last September, except in a different, inky colour variation.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Miranda Kerr's Givenchy 'Lucrezia' Duffel Bag

Miranda Kerr’s Givenchy ‘Lucrezia’ Duffel Bag

Marni Fragrance Launch

Marni Fragrance Launch

25 Responses to Zhang Ziyi In Christian Dior Couture – ‘The Grandmaster’ Berlinale Film Festival Premiere

1. MissAmynae February 8, 2013 at 02:19 #

I love the fur!!! I would take out the bag and necklace. Swap out those hooves for a classic and non-platform shoe, maybe in velvet?

Those are difficult colors to pull off, but my word she is gorgeous. Perfect for her colouring.

2. Sea February 8, 2013 at 02:26 #

It’s cold there, which is probably the reason she added the fur. But I concur with you the fur, the necklace, the handbag, and those awful shoes ruined this beautiful dress. What a shame.

3. EmmaWoodhouse February 8, 2013 at 02:39 #

At first I was super excited to see this dress worn well, but then…girl kind of ruined it with the styling. The fur stole could be nice but it’s oddly twisted around her shoulders. The clutch is an interesting touch, as is the necklace, but they don’t go together with each other or the stole. The shoes are bad.

4. Marybeth February 8, 2013 at 02:59 #

Overkill indeed.
    She is so gorgeous in that dress, though, that I think I can grit my teeth and bear the fur, the necklace, and the clutch.
    But I simply cannot bear the horse hooves.

• kiwi February 8, 2013 at 14:14 #

• Brooke February 8, 2013 at 15:22 #

5. Darrenism February 8, 2013 at 03:13 #

Totally. Her stylings are always ruined by bad choices of shoes.

6. Christine February 8, 2013 at 03:55 #

Not liking the accessories. The dress is grand on its own.

7. arang February 8, 2013 at 04:10 #

What an awesome dress! And what a magpie’s collection of accessories. They can’t quite ruin the dress on her, but they try. (Still laughing at the “hooves” comments. So true.) This could’ve been kinda perfect on her. :(

8. GG February 8, 2013 at 04:22 #

Without the necklace and the bag, this look would have been okay for me. The shoes aren’t the best choice but not that bad, I have a soft spot in my heart for sky high heels. Since I’m a shorty myself…

9. Fiona - Perth February 8, 2013 at 04:27 #

Love the dress, hate the shoes – haven’t these girls heard these shoes are now “out” and single sole pumps are “in” – especially with this dress.

10. Yeliz February 8, 2013 at 05:42 #

I understand why she wore a fur shrug, because it’s freezing here in Germany, but I’m not a fan of fur shrugs in general and those shoes definitely gotta go. I love the dress on her, but that’s it.

• Rashmi February 8, 2013 at 06:13 #

+1. I just love the dress, nothing more than that.

11. MatBer February 8, 2013 at 09:22 #

I think those towering pumps should be in a box dated “2009/2010″. Please update!

12. Nat February 8, 2013 at 10:31 #

This is a typical case of a stunning dress ruined by TERRIBLE styling.
    The platforms are hideous and the fur is OTT.

I usually like her, but I think that with her svelte figure and delicate features she gets away with a lot of stuff that on someone else we would criticize more. Imagine if, say, J.Lo had worn this dress with this styling…we would all be screaming at how tacky/cheap/desperate housewife she looked and how she ruined the dress.

13. justme February 8, 2013 at 10:38 #

She needed to get rid of the necklace and find better shoes.
    I really like the shrug with the dress though.

14. Lee Ann February 8, 2013 at 12:14 #

dress is a 10 but the shoes are wrong and the necklace not needed

15. Moxie February 8, 2013 at 12:35 #

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks those platform heels look like hooves. For me, that is all I see. Ugh.

The dress is pretty, but is styled all wrong. Looks like she got dressed in the dark.

16. Noemi February 8, 2013 at 13:59 #

I only like the dress. I hate real furs, first of all, but it doesn’t go with the dress, anyway. I also don’t understand the accessories. Did she glue those shoes at her feet?

17. Susan February 8, 2013 at 14:19 #

there is a lot going on but for some reason it works for me. I love the color of the dress.

18. robbie February 8, 2013 at 18:12 #

if she picked less heavy shoes this would be a flawless look.

19. the ogre February 8, 2013 at 20:32 #

Hehehe! Actually as a matter of fact I like it very much! The whole thing (except those shoes of course). She made the look her own by adding all that fur glimmer and arm candy. She looks beautiful and regal.

20. Alex February 8, 2013 at 20:47 #

I ❤ it all, from the ankles up.
    Why those shoes? Why? Why?

21. TeaAtTwo February 9, 2013 at 00:44 #

I don’t like any of accessories here which a pity because I can tell stripped down I would have loved this dress on her.

22. Jess2 February 9, 2013 at 11:17 #

There is just something about this look that makes it all work for me.