03.02.13

Lena Dunham In Thakoon – 2013 DGA Awards

Lena Dunham In Thakoon - 2013 DGA Awards‘Girls’ millennial director/actress Lena Dunham is definitely having her time in the popularity spotlight; she walked another red carpet and picked up another trophy at last night’s 2013 Directors Guild of America Awards, hosted at The Ray Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland in Los Angeles, California.

I just wish she was dressing better for the occasion.

Although she wore a custom Thakoon, the fit of the strapless satin creation was unkempt and daresay sloppy. And the sash-like appendage in the back was just strange.

While it was nice to see Lena in a bright hue and the frock embraced spring’s obsession with color blocking, the cloying magenta and red hues clashed.

Or maybe I was just too blinded by the poor fit, or those distracting tattoos, or even the nude Jimmy Choo ‘Crown’ peep-toes that were a boring-at-best afterthought.

Perhaps some jewelry may have helped make this a better equation.

You can buy Lena’s Jimmy Choo ‘Crown’ peep-toes from Jimmy Choo US, Bergdorf Goodman and Saks.com.

Credit: Getty

Jessica Alba In Louis Vuitton - 'Escape From Planet Earth' LA Premiere

Jessica Alba In Louis Vuitton – ‘Escape From Planet Earth’ LA Premiere

Naomi Watts' Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Gown

Naomi Watts’ Emilio Pucci Silk Jersey Gown

42 Responses to Lena Dunham In Thakoon – 2013 DGA Awards

1. EmmaWoodhouse February 3, 2013 at 18:58 #

Unflattering, dumpy, stiff, ugly, ill-fitted, cheap, boring. Sorry. This is just a really terrible look. I don’t like the colorblocking either…and her tattoos are just tacky.

2. Nat39 February 3, 2013 at 18:58 #

Does she ever look good…she needs Tadashi Shoji and a good mirror.

3. Christine February 3, 2013 at 19:03 #

Poor fit and sloppy dress. Also I am very distracted by her tattoos too. You can’t help but notice them first and not the outfit.

• Yeliz February 3, 2013 at 19:06 #

4. asherlev1 February 3, 2013 at 19:07 #

What is going on with her?! It’s not that hard to dress someone with her figure, JFC. Plenty of women with her body proportions who don’t have stylists manage to look sensational. I’m so sick of people having to place undue attention on her weight when it’s really not why she’s not looking that great on the Red Carpet. IT’S HER STYLIST.

5. Leeann February 3, 2013 at 19:12 #

Back fat never a good look.

• Kathy February 4, 2013 at 19:10 #

You say that like back fat is something you can take on and off like socks…some people just have different body shapes and sizes. Doesn’t mean they can’t look good.

6. The Queen of Hearts February 3, 2013 at 19:17 #

I must be the only person who thinks she looks good. She has a short torso with wide-hips, an exaggerated hourglass if you will. The proportions of the dress reduce the intensity of her frame. I also love the clean, simply pixie cut and soft makeup. Bravo.

• SS February 4, 2013 at 14:36 #

I agree. It’s cleaner than her usual looks. Her face looks fresh and not shiny. Hair’s neat. The shape of the dress is actually quite flattering. The flap on the chest, the cinch in the waist and the looser fit around the hips are all complimentary to her shape. Plus the colour’s nice and bright. Definitely one of her better, fresher looks from the season.

• adrian February 4, 2013 at 21:06 #

Dude, Lena takes a most disgusting beating on this site. She is fitting a very non-model body, and not everyone wants a figure-hugging Tadashi Shoji dress that an Octavia Spencer might be comfortable in. She wants to move and breathe, and I can’t blame her. No, tattoos aren’t everyone’s favorite, but they also don’t gross everyone out. The hair is nice, the make up is easy and she is very well-dressed. What ARE the chances a custom-made dress isn’t custom made to fit exactly the way she wants it to? Maybe we need to get over ourselves?

7. Betty Brandenburg February 3, 2013 at 19:24 #

I know she would not care, but these tattoos are a real turn off. It would not matter what she wore, it would still look awful….

8. sonia February 3, 2013 at 19:27 #

some people are not interested in fashion and whwen they find thenseolves on the spot the think it’s easy and anything works, but as any othet skill, only for a few is innata, the rest of us have to learn a bit to look good!!

9. Linda February 3, 2013 at 19:31 #

I think this is a real step in the right direction for her. The colours are great and the cut is flattering.

• Linda February 3, 2013 at 19:41 #

I’m a bit surprised by the level negativity here. I thought we were here to talk about specific items of clothing and how they are styled to create an overall effect because we like fashion. I think if the subject read some of these comments they would be very hurtful because they feel like personal insults.

• Ellie February 3, 2013 at 19:57 #

Agreed. Well said.

• robert February 3, 2013 at 22:00 #

I have to disagree strongly. It’s tough love. We all go crazy and adore a woman when she wears beautiful clothing. It’s constructive criticism and I personally don’t like how she carries herself.

• Linda February 3, 2013 at 23:57 #

(Robert, this isn’t personally directed towards you, but just some observations based on your comment).

I don’t see too much love in these posts today, tough or otherwise. Love is compassion and caring for others, pointing out the positive first and then offering some constructive criticism in a respectful way if needed and appropriate.

This discussion of Ms. Dunham feels ugly in some ways. If she were standing in front of us, would we say these things? Or are we hiding behind our keyboards, offloading negativity and difficult emotions on an easy target we don’t have to look in the eye?

Feels like a bunch of armchair critics (wearing god only knows what) bullying a woman we don’t know to feel better about ourselves.

It just doesn’t feel good or right to me.

I myself have been fairly harsh with people before, I am just rethinking things lately and this post brought it up for me again.

Thank you.
            Linda

• robert February 4, 2013 at 01:20 #

“bullying a woman we don’t know to feel better about ourselves.”

I don’t know how that can be said. If you look back at my posts alone, you can see that I NEVER hold back from gushing over a woman who looks gorgeous and wears gorgeous clothes. So we’re only allowed to say something nice, otherwise we are “armchair critics”? Come on!

Lina looks terribly unflattering in virtually everything she wears, IMO. Eva Longoria and JLo are also often criticized as being ‘tacky, cheap, etc’, as well as Angelina Jolie when her tattoos are on display, so why is this any different?

I’m not one of those people who thinks “everyone is beautiful in their own way”. I don’t like her or the way she dresses, but if she did ever wear anything flattering I wouldn’t hesitate to comment positively.

• Linda February 4, 2013 at 02:47 #

Hi again Robert:

I wasn’t talking about your posts in particular.

I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else, that’s not my intention.

Armchair critic: one whose views are based on theorizing rather than first-hand experience

We are all armchair critics on sites like this.

We give opinions and advice on the outward appearances of women but have no idea what it feels like to be that person in that situation or to know what’s going through their mind in the process of choosing a look.

No, there’s no difference between criticizing one female star versus another.

Linda

10. Marybeth February 3, 2013 at 19:44 #

I think her make-up and hair look nice. Thumbs down to the rest.

(BTW, she’s not fat, not by any stretch of the word, so she should be able to wear a wide range of clothes.)

11. SilentVisitor February 3, 2013 at 20:03 #

I think she looks good from the neck up but that’s about it. She needs a new stylist………

12. arang February 3, 2013 at 20:52 #

I like her hair and makeup but not the dress. She seems to have a problem picking the right designs for her body. She’s relatively short-waisted with a curvy figure so the wrong cut and fit can easily make her look dumpy even when she’s not. The large cuff at the top plus the execrable fit in the bodice and hips just eliminate her waist. Aaargh! Smart and talented lady but bad stylists! (imho)

13. Rach February 3, 2013 at 20:55 #

The fit and the fabric of this are just so wrong. It looks like an awful hipster prom dress or something. She’s not fat, not at all, but body shape does have an effect on how you look in clothes, that’s just a fact. That said there’s no excuse for a dress like this. I’ve never seen her look good. She keeps wearing these satin horrors, I just don’t get it. More worryingly is presumably she has a stylist too! And by-the-by, the only woman who can truly get away with tattoos is Angelina Jolie if you ask me.

14. Emma February 3, 2013 at 21:11 #

I’ve never liked a look of hers on the red carpet and this is no exception. She needs a new stylist

• dee February 4, 2013 at 15:36 #

I agree.

15. stacy February 3, 2013 at 21:16 #

Ugly, ugly, ugly. Fashion exists to flatter – if its a great dress that looks awful on you – that’s not fashion. So here is a woman who has an opportunity to explore fashion and falls flat. She actually accentuates all of her flaws instead of drawing attention to her strengths. Ugly tattoos and a dress that makes her look dumpy. Ug.

16. Faellie February 3, 2013 at 22:13 #

There is a lot that I like here. The hair and makeup are great. The colours suit her: they show off that lovely pale complexion (very Dita). The shoes show off the colourful pedicure. The dress fits respectably well over the bust, which is more than I can say for many we see here. Below the bust she has obviously intending to wear it with some room in it, which is appropriate and comfortable on what will be a long night on show. Skin-tight is not always best.

As to whether this is a good red carpet look, a lot of the pictures on this site are of size zero clothes horses whose main (or only) asset is their looks and who are being paid to appear, or to model their dresses and jewellery on the red carpet. By contrast, Lena Durham is a writer/director, a young woman making a big success for herself in a very competitive industry, whose main assets are intelligence and character. She’s not on the red carpet as an end in itself, as so many here are, but as a side effect of her obligation to collect an award. She has carried it off just fine.

• Ruth February 3, 2013 at 22:20 #

” By contrast, Lena Durham is a writer/director, a young woman making a big success for herself in a very competitive industry, whose main assets are intelligence and character. She’s not on the red carpet as an end in itself, as so many here are, but as a side effect of her obligation to collect an award. She has carried it off just fine.”

Very well said.

• Nat39 February 3, 2013 at 23:02 #

There are plenty other talented intelligent women out there with a lot more ‘challenging’ body types to dress (Lena’s is not that bad at all, she just makes it look that way with her choices in clothes) who care to dress their bodies in a flattering way and carry and present themselves in a classy way (a tattoo concealer is a good idea), I respect that. Lena chooses not to care much, it’s fine, that’s her call, but don’t expect others to respect that. This look is really bad btw. If she was size 0, she would’ve gotten the same critique.

• SilentVisitor February 4, 2013 at 13:36 #

Isn’t it funny when you have to put some people down in order to defend other people……….
      Some people did not like her outfit, why is it such a big deal?
      I have seen outfits of JLO, Eva L. or Heidi K. being called cheap, tacky, or whatever, rightfully so by the way……why didn’t you write your nice little paragraphs putting others down by trying to defend them?
      Just incredible………

17. Ruth February 3, 2013 at 22:19 #

I think she should invest in some tattoo concealer. I have tattoos, a back tattoo, I love it and am not ashamed of it. However, at any fancy event where I would be wearing something revealing, I would conceal it because it just doesn’t fit.

I like the front of the dress. I think a very nice matching bold necklace would have been a good touch.

18. TeaAtTwo February 3, 2013 at 22:57 #

She should wear better fitted clothing with sleeves, plus the shade of pink is just making her look pasty.

19. amanda February 4, 2013 at 00:29 #

I actually think she looks quite good. I love the colour on her as she does not seem to go for bright colours. I think the fit is quite nice on her as well – that sometimes seems to be a problem for her. I am surprised how many of the comments seem to be so negative.

20. Fer February 4, 2013 at 00:29 #

Well, i really think she looks a little bit more polished. I was really surprised when i saw you didn’t pay any attention to her Golden Globe’s look, i thought her dress was doing miracles with her body, and was really pretty, i really thought you were going to be like “proud” of her! FC! jajaja, /: my bad!. But i just think, she is trying to get into the process of fashion, because,mmm, this is like “new” for her, the attention, the awards, it’s like such a newcomer, and i really think that, well, she is trying, with all this recognition i am sure that, betters stylists and, well, designers, will try to get her in the right direction, she here, has a new face, and a she is looking better, prettier, and cleaner, i am sure that she is going in the right track, and we will have better looks for her, and she has to work this look, because, she can’t really change her weight or hair!, because that would kill her Girls’ character, so she has to work with what she’s got.

I really admire this girl. I hope she keeps getting better and better, let’s just give her a chance. :D

21. HMCL February 4, 2013 at 04:12 #

As a regular fan of this site, and one who has multiple tattoos that would probably be held to the lowest standards of “chic” on this site, I find it a little offensive that Lena’s “style” is, in part, defined by her “awful tattoos”. Even if you have “bad” ink, how can you cover that up, aside from wearing a turtleneck gown? In short, maybe Lena’s ink, or that of others, is distasteful to the general eye, but that shouldn’t be a deciding style factor to the overall look.

• Sarah February 4, 2013 at 15:35 #

Agree 100%. Really upset by all the tattoo hate on this site. Tattoos are personal, would much rather the comments be on her style and fashion choices.

22. msd February 4, 2013 at 05:11 #

I’m surprised this is custom because it doesn’t look customised to her at all, which is a pity because if the fit had been good I think it would have worked.

23. Yolonda February 4, 2013 at 09:41 #

It’s not her worst look. Her hair and make up is pretty and the colour is an unexpected choice. I feel like the skirt could be more tulip shaped and come in narrower around the bottom and slightly shorter maybe. Love her anyway! She is a brilliant and talented lady who probably doesn’t take herself to seriously at these events.

24. Jess2 February 4, 2013 at 13:46 #

I don’t like Lena’s tattoos but they are apart of her so I’m trying not to let them influence my opinion of her look. Her hair and makeup is great and no problems with the shoes. The fit is a real shame, she could have looked gorgeous with better tailoring. I’m still holding out hope that she will have a wow moment at some point. Every girl is worthy of a wow moment!

25. Jjovana February 4, 2013 at 16:16 #

The fit, fabric..its all wrong. Love the hair, makeup and shoes, but the dress is a pure disaster.

26. Kate February 4, 2013 at 17:17 #

This just disappears into an ill-fitting mess around her upper half. Her torso looks so very shortened because of the combination of the foldover detail at the bust, the fit at the waist and the regrettable sash at the back. She seems to like this sort of look at the chest area, but it is a seriously bad idea for one of her shape. Stylist needs to take a firmer hand, assuming she has one.

27. Haley February 4, 2013 at 19:18 #

She looks like a girl going to homecoming that got her dress from Good Will! Unflattering, frumpy, and wrinkled! And I’m sure that if she would stop choosing ugly dresses that show off her tattoos, she could win best dressed.