Rooney Mara In Alexander McQueen – ‘Side Effects’ New York Premiere

Rooney Mara In Alexander McQueen - 'Side Effects' New York Premiere

Rooney Mara attended the New York premiere of ‘Side Effects’ held at the AMC Lincoln Square Theater in New York City yesterday evening.

The actress wore an Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2013 dress, which is our first look at this collection on the red carpet.

Opting to keep the styling simple, Rooney wore nude Nicholas Kirkwood peep-toes with her ivory panelled velvet and macramé cape dress.

There is a strong possibility that Rooney would’ve made the black belt work, but I love her softer presentation of this look.

Smoky eyes, a pink lip colour and her signature lacquered centre-parted ponytail hairstyle provided the finishing touches.

Do you wish Rooney had worn the belt with this look?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Wore Valentino Better...Alessandra Mastronardi or Allison Williams?

Who Wore Valentino Better…Alessandra Mastronardi or Allison Williams?

Beyonce Knowles In Olcay Gulsen - Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show Press Conference

Beyonce Knowles In Olcay Gulsen – Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show Press Conference

37 Responses to Rooney Mara In Alexander McQueen – ‘Side Effects’ New York Premiere

1. Yeliz February 1, 2013 at 10:45 #

I love the dress and I think she looks amazing in it. This works perfectly without the belt IMO. I love her simple styling. BDOTW worthy in my eyes.

• Christine February 1, 2013 at 13:12 #

I agree. She made it work without the need of an belt.

• Marta February 1, 2013 at 15:01 #

I’m with you :-) She looks so innocent and somehow fragile in that dress. I love that angelic look. BDOTW, for sure.

• Jess2 February 2, 2013 at 06:10 #

I agree as well! Gorgeous!

2. Neli February 1, 2013 at 11:01 #

Looks like GWTDT tour part 2 but Still looks pretty!

3. Martin February 1, 2013 at 11:09 #

Stunning. Even though I’m sure she would have been crucified for it, I actually wish she had hardened the look up by teaming the dress with the runway shoes and ditched the generic nude platforms. Otherwise, she looks spectacular.

4. Ramsay February 1, 2013 at 11:14 #

I think it’s a first but on Rooney this look has a Chanel feel to it

5. Pablo February 1, 2013 at 11:30 #

Yep, like you, I much prefer this softer presentation!
    Having said this, the Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2013 is absolutely breathtaking (even by their already super high standards), I hope we see a lot more of it on the red carpet!

Get well FC, push that flu away! :) xx

• Fashion Critic February 1, 2013 at 13:40 #

Just woke up from my disco nap, thank you x

6. ruffon February 1, 2013 at 11:33 #

The detailing is beautiful but the fabric looks cheap. I don’t like the fit of the top part but kudos to Rooney for trying. I liked her better in the black jumpsuit, that was a killer look.

7. Nat February 1, 2013 at 11:49 #

I’m not too keen on that particular belt, so I’m ok with her not wearing it. But I wish she had added at least one accessory to liven up the look.

8. firien February 1, 2013 at 11:52 #

I just wish she smiled every now and then… she’s not the girl with the dragon tattoo anymore!

9. Rashmi February 1, 2013 at 11:54 #

I would have preferred a black belt with this. The dress is more on the edgier side, and I would have liked her to complete it. Nevertheless she looks good and polished as always!

• Lisa February 1, 2013 at 15:31 #

10. justme February 1, 2013 at 12:04 #

I wish she would have worn a belt but not the model’s black one.

11. Anne February 1, 2013 at 12:31 #

I’m not always Rooney’s biggest fashion fan, as I think her GWTDT tour was over-rated and one-note, but I quite like this look. The dress is soft and interesting, but still has a subtle edge to it. Her makeup is lovely. Don’t mind the color of the pump, but I would have preferred something a bit lighter in style. Overall, she looks great

• lyka February 1, 2013 at 15:02 #

I’m in total agreement about the heaviness of those peep-toes, and I think Rooney’s not usually the type to go for such a bland nude shoe. Something strappy, or even slightly little less bulky, would definitely have served to open up the look more and enhance the dress’s structured delicacy.

12. anjos February 1, 2013 at 14:12 #

The belt and some kind of black/darker booties would definitely make it even more interesting. This is the kind of dress that works with edgy styling. But even so, it’s a very nice look regardless. :)

13. Kittyvale February 1, 2013 at 14:58 #

The GWTDT tour is over. Please do give us a smile and soften your hairstyle. Otherwise dress is ok.

• Fiona-Brasil February 1, 2013 at 15:20 #

14. harris February 1, 2013 at 15:17 #

BDOTW

15. kiwi February 1, 2013 at 15:18 #

FC, I am visiting ur blog after a week.. this was one look that really caught my eye… she looks great

16. JJovana February 1, 2013 at 15:45 #

The cape looks little awkward. Smaller size would have fixed that issue. She also needs SOME accessories.

17. TeaAtTwo February 1, 2013 at 15:50 #

I’d have maybe added a thin white belt to give the lookbook shape of skirt and add silver sandals but it’s a gorgeous dress and she looks really good as it is, BDOTW nominee worthy.

18. Rebecca Z February 1, 2013 at 16:19 #

Not a fan of the shoes, but otherwise I think she pulls this difficult dress off well. I am neutral on the issue of the belt–she could have worn it with no problem. So glad she didn’t wear the runway shoes, but the ones she is wearing are wrong for the dress.

19. Mol February 1, 2013 at 16:25 #

What a beautiful, interesting dress, I am completely in love with this and I am glad Rooney kept everything simple. Her makeup is perfection as well. Unlike many others, I loved the GWTDT tour!

20. Nat39 February 1, 2013 at 18:36 #

She is not selling the soft presentation to me, this isn’t working for her at all, it’s too ‘shy little girl with severe hair at a wedding’, the shoes are dull, she should’ve rocked the edgier version with the edgy contrasting belt and a sexy black sandal, it would’ve suited her much better and her sleek side-parted hair would’ve worked then. This isn’t working for her at all, save it for Elle Fanning.

• Nat39 February 1, 2013 at 18:37 #

I meant *center-parted hair

21. Rashmi February 1, 2013 at 18:44 #

I love this look! Contrary to many, I actually love seeing Rooney Mara on the red carpet.. so what she majorly wears black n white.. She has a elegance and polish which many other celebrities lack.. I love Rooney in Mcqueen and Givenchy.. n i think she can be a Chanel girl too!

22. EmmaWoodhouse February 1, 2013 at 19:04 #

I wish that the top was slightly less overwhelming on her, but all told it’s a lovely and enchanting look. I like the winter queen feel, and she balances the ornate dress with simple hair.

23. Dhppy February 1, 2013 at 19:12 #

I sort of like the dress. I don’t think the belt, as shown on the model, works with it, so I’m glad Mara left it out. I’m not crazy about the shoes, but the dress is so ornate, it makes sense that she’d keep things simple. I think the center part in her hair works especially well here.

24. arang February 1, 2013 at 23:52 #

I really like this, though I think she’s one of the few who could pull this off on the red carpet. She has such an unusual look to her. Great makeup and hair. Glad she didn’t wear the belt as I think it wouldn’t fit with the rather serene vibe she gives off in these pictures.

25. anonymous as always February 2, 2013 at 02:28 #

The dress on her looks like a piece of art. I missed her from the red carpet! She and Emma Stone are my new favourite girls.

26. Lola February 2, 2013 at 08:22 #

SNORE. I feel like she’s been promoting “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” for like 3 years now. She needs to take a leaf out of her sister’s book at wear some colour.

27. glenn February 2, 2013 at 17:03 #

i love the dress, but she always make clothes sad and ugly

28. Aznini February 2, 2013 at 17:48 #

Sorry, but that mess looks as a russian doll wearing a doyley. And the girl has zero presence…

29. Beta February 4, 2013 at 17:40 #

this dress is to die for. I love the details and the shape.
    For me both are great, with or without belt :)