Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – 2013 SAG Awards

Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior -  2013 SAG AwardsMarion Cotillard may have been under the weather at the 2013 SAG Awards this evening at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California. But you would never know, as she seemed to be glowing.

The French actress and nominee for her leading role in ‘Rust and Bone’ is a brand ambassador for Christian Dior, so it’s no surprise she selected a look from the designer’s Pre-Fall 2013 collection.

But this Dior moment was severely altered from the runway rendition, which I’m afraid I preferred.

Marion’s nautically colored twist on the ball gown was a bit underwhelming. The flash of the white strapless bodice, which was contrasted with a limp, midnight-blue interpretation of the satin skirt and tied sash, just didn’t work.

It was all missing some of the runway panache; I fell in love with the gorgeous coral hoop skirt, beautifully ballooned out, and the structured cap-sleeve top.

I can appreciate the gown’s pockets which had Marion, with her new chicly sleek bob, posing like a pro. A simple strand of Chopard jewels and a nondescript black pump finished the look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kerry Washington In Rodarte - 2013 SAG Awards

Kerry Washington In Rodarte – 2013 SAG Awards

Lea Michele In Valentino - 2013 SAG Awards

Lea Michele In Valentino – 2013 SAG Awards

51 Responses to Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior – 2013 SAG Awards

1. Ben January 28, 2013 at 02:09 #

Fashion Critic, I LOVE THIS. Easily my best dressed of the night and I will most definitely be pissed if it’s not up for the vote

• noo January 28, 2013 at 02:39 #

I love this look too! I don’t think the skirt is limp because in other photos it looks like it extends into a lovely train!

• Sea January 28, 2013 at 02:45 #

+1! I was really stunned when I saw this photo. Love everything head-to-toe. After reading FC’s comments, upon second inspection, I think the only flaw I can pick is the slightly-disproportionate bodice. But I can totally ignore it as her hair, make-up, face, necklace, the skirt (also its color), and even the black shoes look so amazing.

• dressaddict January 28, 2013 at 07:44 #

Love it too! The colour, the fit, the dress, the hair, love it all!

• Lee Ann January 28, 2013 at 13:31 #

me too flawless

• dee January 28, 2013 at 13:36 #

I agree. I think she looks awesome and I love the hair and makeup.

• Francois Bresmal January 28, 2013 at 20:39 #

Also loving it! If we forget there’s this coral lookbook version, this blue one is perfect for Marion

2. EmmaWoodhouse January 28, 2013 at 02:09 #

The disappointment to me is the bodice, I really liked the sleeves. The divinely colored skirt, though, is a win in my book–even if it’s not as buoyant as the model’s. I like her styling, save for the pumps. I have a feeling this look will be very divisive, and I myself am not sure yet whether or not I like it.

• Rashmi January 28, 2013 at 03:44 #

+1. Same here. The bodice is disappointing, but even the look book top wouldn’t have been preferred for a red carpet.
      And I love the skirt, but the pumps are boring. However she looks beautiful and polished.
      Lol even I don’t know whether to like it or not. :D

PS: One thing is sure though, she wore a Dior better than Jennifer AGAINN !!

• KK January 28, 2013 at 04:00 #

+1 I said this somewhere else, but if I were Jen’s people I think I would be pissed non? I wasn’t crazy about either of their Golden Globe dresses, but of the two, Marion’s was the best. And now tonight, she bests her, by a wider margin, again.

• TL January 28, 2013 at 04:04 #

Agree! Love everything but the bodice

3. shontay January 28, 2013 at 02:11 #

I LOVE this look, too. She’s working it and I love both versions of the dress. Of course, I knew I’d be in the minority. She’s gorgeous and working it and like I said before, she’s working Dior better than JLaw.

4. Lani Lye January 28, 2013 at 02:11 #

I absolutely adore this look on her! She is glowing, she looks radiant. I love the midnight blue color & the pose she is giving… stunning.

• Yeliz January 28, 2013 at 06:37 #

Agreed. She looks fantastic and her pose is amazing, could be one of the best of the night. I do love the version on the model too, though.

5. SixToOne January 28, 2013 at 02:12 #

this is the right way/attitude to wear raf’s dior, marion is just breathtaking

6. Christine January 28, 2013 at 02:13 #

I like both versions.

• Leti January 28, 2013 at 03:30 #

+1 I love her new bob, and I think the skirt color brings out the blue in her eyes.

7. Pedro January 28, 2013 at 02:16 #

She looks gorgeous!

LOVE

8. Moxie January 28, 2013 at 02:16 #

Love the color, but I don’t like the high waist. It throws off the proportions. I prefer the top on the model’s gown.

• Moxie January 28, 2013 at 02:17 #

And the shoes couldn’t be more boring.

9. Thaís January 28, 2013 at 02:16 #

I loved the colour on her skin tone and her new hair. But the fitting on the top seems a little weird to me. It’s almost like the neckline will slip at anytime, looks a bit big for her chest. And I wish the waist had been adjusted to give it more definition.

10. pipsqueak January 28, 2013 at 02:19 #

Love this dress and her hair! BDOTW candidate for me.

11. SilentVisitor January 28, 2013 at 02:19 #

she looks great despite the shoes

12. Nat39 January 28, 2013 at 02:21 #

Don´t really care much for either version but I think the strapless design works better for the red carpet at the event, the cap-sleeve top is a bit too casual looking to go with the ball-gown skirt.

13. Saudin January 28, 2013 at 02:30 #

Yes, the high waist looks a bit weird, but everything else works very well. I expected she’d be wearing a look from the S/S 2013 Haute Couture collection. Nevertheless, she looks stunning and is a perfect ambassador for Christian Dior

14. AitchCS January 28, 2013 at 02:30 #

excellent color, love the cut of the dress. This is the only thing wowing me so far.

15. Shiva January 28, 2013 at 02:35 #

there are red carpet dresses and there are the editorial ones. trying to morph the latter into the former with red carpet styling has never worked, in my opinion.

and i’m saying this as the biggest fan of raf simons, marion cotillard- her style in general and her glorious face here in particular.

16. Prudence January 28, 2013 at 03:10 #

agree 100% with FC. The runway look was FAR BETTER! I hate how her bodice is strapless. and she needs to give up the pointy black shoes. GET SOME SANDALS ON THIS GIRL.

17. CreoleLady January 28, 2013 at 03:14 #

I do not like the modification at all other than the midnight blue. She looks short-waisted and in need of support up top. The casual air of the runway look would have been wonderful with her new sharply cut bob — different and exciting, reminiscent of the Sharon Stone white shirt/ball skirt combo that wowed me years ago. That inimitable Gallic insouciance (and more exciting shoes) could have made the runway look in midnight blue potentially BDOTW-worthy. Disappointing.

18. Quinn January 28, 2013 at 03:27 #

wow. stunning. she’s my best dress of the night! LOVE this!

19. diamondted January 28, 2013 at 03:38 #

I absolutely love this look. i couldn’t disagree with FC more.

20. Patricia January 28, 2013 at 04:09 #

Definitely the best dressed.

I like Marion’s version of the dress in this color plus the new hair cut… *smiles* :D

21. lin January 28, 2013 at 04:53 #

Loved everything about this look, my favorite of the night.

22. Markness January 28, 2013 at 05:34 #

She’s my best dressed so far! I just love this. I wish it had the balloon-ness of the runway version but the color is just so amazing I love it! I love the fact that Dior makes unconventional gowns unlike those from Elie Saab. I also like Anne’s Giambattista gown btw. Haha!

23. Jess2 January 28, 2013 at 08:59 #

This reminds me a lot of Jason Wu’s Spring 2012 collection. Marion looks nice but definitely a best dressed contender imo. I think the waist of the skirt is too high and is not working well with the white bodice. I think it would have looked better had the skirt sat lower on the natural waist with a longer strapless bodice.

24. kane January 28, 2013 at 09:17 #

Had she just worn the original version (I’m flexible on the shoes though, very flexible)!

25. Beta January 28, 2013 at 09:35 #

My critique to the lookbook version, that thankfully Marion’s version doesn’t feature, is that its not lined underneath with the same material. I find it a bit ‘cheap’ that you can see the seams in the skirt as the dress is asymmetrical and shorter on the front.

26. Noemi (WBiS) January 28, 2013 at 10:00 #

I prefer the original version, hers is not particularly flattering. Why modifying something so interesting? I don’t even like her hair.

27. Neli January 28, 2013 at 10:53 #

WoW. Love this.

28. justme January 28, 2013 at 12:43 #

I prefer that shade of blue over that shade of coral.
    But the skirt sits way too high on Marion, the necklace is unnecessary and the shoes are boring.

29. Alex January 28, 2013 at 14:36 #

She’s easily one of my favourites. She looks absolutely perfect. I think that I wouldn’t change a thing about this look.
    It’s not an easy dress to wear and she wears it with absolute elegance and grace. J’adore Dior at its best!

30. MaddyEliza January 28, 2013 at 14:54 #

I LOVE this. I am SO glad she changed the colour; the blue is beautiful on her! And while I do like the top of the original, I love how she modified it to make it red carpet appropriate. LOVE the hair, love the pose, love the jewellery, even love the pointy shoes. Definitely a best dressed contender for me. Beautiful!!

31. Chloe January 28, 2013 at 15:42 #

I can’t decide if I like it or not

32. Ericka January 28, 2013 at 16:10 #

I agree the alterations did a disservice to the dress and to Marion. Gorgeous color but the waist is too high and the strapless looks off. Shame.

33. fromchi-town January 28, 2013 at 18:18 #

This looks far better in the photograph here than it did on TV last night! Her hair and make-up are perfect and she looks gorgeous. Also, I think the necklace is very unnecessary!

34. lee January 28, 2013 at 18:30 #

I love this look, the first page I saw was the “best dressed” post, and Marion leapt off the page at me. I don’t think the waist is too high, the gather of the skirt sits at her waist, I think she just extended the waistband to work more as a cumberbund. The blue is stunning, I love the shoes – so classic – I love everything about this. I don’t even like the runway version, Marion’s seems better in every way.

35. Dhppy January 28, 2013 at 18:37 #

Yea! Why am I not surprised that it takes a French woman to sell me on Dior. This is a wonderfully chic gown.

36. gabis January 28, 2013 at 20:26 #

I’m not exactly crazy about the dress. In my opinion the bodice sits too low and the skirt too high. And I dislike her bracelet. But I LOVE how the blue hue complements her eyes and I love her hair, makeup and necklace.

37. Parvati January 28, 2013 at 21:55 #

I love this look! I like the modification from the runway and the color is amazing! Plus, I adore her hair, she looks so elegant!

38. madella January 31, 2013 at 02:48 #