28.01.13 Menswear

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round UpWith gowns galore parading down awards-gala red carpets, it’s always hard to focus on the tuxes—no matter how handsome they and their inhabitants are. But at the 2013 SAG Awards, hosted last night at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, the men had their moment. Like many of the girls, some of the guys played with color—albeit to mixed success. But it all made for a far more entertaining and colorful show.

Eddie Redmayne: The ‘Les Miserables’ star continues to deliver great red-carpet performances. The British actor carried off a slimly tailored tuxedo by BOSS Black, rendered in a luxe brown, crushed velvet. He paired it with a white shirt and matching dress shoes from the label. In a sea of black and blue, this delicious chocolate color was a smooth statement—so was Eddie’s cool-boy coif.

Bradley Cooper: The ‘Silver Linings Playbook’ actor and nominee chose Tom Ford for his big night. The midnight navy color of his single-breasted tux, featuring a black satin shawl collar, reminded me of some of the similarly colored gowns seen last night, such as the one from Jennifer Lawrence. I wish his black bow tie didn’t appear crooked, throwing the polish of this look awry.

Cory Monteith: This ‘Glee’ cutie stepped outside the norm with his Calvin Klein tuxedo paired with a sleek set of black Christian Louboutin loafers. His cufflinks and tie bar were by Ox and Bull Trading Co. and his timepiece from Versace. The exaggerated peak lapel in black contrasted sharply with the light heather grey of the single-breasted jacket. But was Cory red-carpet-royalty or just prom-king ready?

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up 2Justin Timberlake: The singer-actor took a brave run in a micro-plaid Tom Ford suit, paired with a near-pastel shirt and dark grey tie. The slimline silhouette worked with Justin’s frame, but something about this look felt a bit casual and out of place.

Hugh Jackman: The ‘Les Miserables’ actor picked Prada for his red-carpet act. The black one-button lana mohair shawl collar tuxedo matched to a white smoking shirt and black silk bow tie looked dapper. But when paired with such a skinny leg pant, there was a lack of balance that was vaguely bothersome. Black spazolatto shoes finished the look.

Ben Affleck: Still rocking some serious facial hair, the ‘Argo’ actor and director had a good night; his film won the Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture award. He accepted the honor in an utterly classic black Gucci tux, white shirt and black tie that fit him well.

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up 3Matthew Morrison: Donning a black wool Dior Homme tux with a satin-stripe notch lapel, this actor had the right idea. But, like his ‘Glee’ co-star Cory’s ensemble, this one featured a quirky twist—that contrasting ‘bow tie’ collar on his white shirt that didn’t quite fall in A-plus territory. Dior Homme black patent leather derby lace-ups completed the look.

Jon Hamm: The ‘Mad Men’ star must have been channeling the suave side of Don Draper, as he went for a classic Ermenegildo Zegna two-piece black tux with a satin shawl collar, white shirt and black satin tie; a look that will never go out of style.

Harry Shum Jr.: Sticking to the navy trend of the evening, this ‘Glee’ actor wore a dark blue, two-piece tux, with satin peak lapel, by Z Zegna. The color added some flair, but for whatever reason, Harry looked a bit uncomfortable in his dressed-up statement.

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up 5John Krasinski: As usual, John struck a casual air for his jaunt down the red carpet. While his grooming was impeccable, his Calvin Klein suit and skinny tie (which had fallen slightly askew) may have been a bit too easygoing for last night.

Darren Criss: This actor was the most formal and polished of the handsome ‘Glee’ cast. His black Calvin Klein tuxedo, paired with a black bow tie, was traditional, but it fit him well.

Alec Baldwin: The ’30 Rock’ funny man picked up a trophy for best male comedy actor. His straight-laced Ermenegildo Zegna black, two-piece tux with peak lapel was less winning though. It translated as loose, lackluster and ill-fitting.

2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up 4Dev Patel: The actor went all for Burberry with his dark brown suit, white dress shirt and tulip pink tie. I just couldn’t get behind this look; it was all a bit too much like what one would see at an office board meeting. Or maybe I’m just too distracted by Freida Pinto’s gorgeous, hot-pink Roland Mouret.

Mark Salling: The ‘Glee’ boys were really out in full force on the red carpet. Like Harry Shum Jr., Mark opted for a Z Zegna tux. But the lighter blue shade of the peak lapel design and the three-piece styling, not to mention the eyesore that was the tie clip and his half-shaven hair, was just too much for me.

Damian Lewis: The British actor and ‘Homeland’ star raised style-conscious eyebrows with his suspect head-to-toe Burberry look; an inky blue wool tux with grosgrain peak lapel, paired with a a white dress shirt, self-tie patterned blue bow tie and black patent leather dress shoes. Ill-fitting—from the jacket sleeve to the slouchy pant—this look broke fashion laws. His wife, Helen McCrory, wore Burberry, as well; she even had a matching waist bow tie.

SAG Awards Men

Peter Facinelli: Handsome, but nonetheless a red-carpet disappointment, this actor wore Emporio Armani; specifically, a black two-button notch lapel tuxedo with a white evening shirt and a neck tie. But the rumpled jacket and a too-long pant translated as sloppy rather than sleek. His five o’clock shadow didn’t help his style situation.

Russell Crowe: The ‘Les Miserables’ actor kept it classic with his Giorgio Armani tuxedo; a traditional and formal interpretation with satin peak label paired with a white button-down dress shirt and black bow tie. Patent dress shoes added more polish.

Chord Overstreet: The ‘Glee’ blondie showed his all-grown-up style in a black Emporio Armani one-button tuxedo with a shawl collar and classic white evening shirt. The skinny neck tie added a young, trendier spin on this look. But, there’s really not much to like or dislike about this simple ensemble.

Credit: Getty

Jamie Foxx In Ozwald Boateng - 'Django Unchained' London Preimere

Jamie Foxx In Ozwald Boateng – ‘Django Unchained’ London Preimere

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 SAG Awards?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2013 SAG Awards?

29 Responses to 2013 SAG Awards Menswear Round Up

1. Christine January 28, 2013 at 14:49 #

They all are rocking their suits to a T.

2. Rebecca Z January 28, 2013 at 14:52 #

I am sure that Eddie Redmayne will once again win a poll from this group, but frankly I don’t see it. Men wearing velvet look like little boys. Bradley Cooper and John Hamm are my winners here–elegant, groomed, and very handsome.

• justme January 28, 2013 at 15:39 #

Ikr! Eddie and his love affair with anything velvet baffle me but people seem to love it *shrug*

• Moxie January 28, 2013 at 15:56 #

I couldn’t agree more!

3. noo January 28, 2013 at 15:02 #

Justin Timberlake is my clear favorite here!

• CreoleLady January 29, 2013 at 11:11 #

+1. Not too casual at all for the SAG awards imo. Also enjoying Jon Hamm and John Krasinski.

4. Leti January 28, 2013 at 15:21 #

Eddie and Corey were my favorites for this night. Darren Criss was also working the heck out his classic tux, which we wore with suck relaxed confidence. I think those who wore suits we just too casual.

5. justme January 28, 2013 at 15:37 #

Justin Timberlake is my favourite. I love the slim fit and the original plaid.
    His brazilian blowout is killing me though. Like, I’m a NSYNC fan, I know your hair is naturally curly, bro. Anyway, it seems that it’s the look he’s going with for this new era so I’ll get over it :D

6. zineb January 28, 2013 at 15:51 #

The hell Eddie ? You not know Red Carpet misses ? :D

7. rebecca o January 28, 2013 at 15:55 #

Disappointed with how many casual looks there are here. They look like they’re going out for drinks after work! I think Bradley is the best despite the crooked tie.

8. pris January 28, 2013 at 15:58 #

I liked Justin, but I LOVED Eddie. He’s best dressed for me at this event.

9. Lashae January 28, 2013 at 16:13 #

I exactly like Justin Timberlake the best. He’s the only one who was different at the same time the best looking.

10. Nat39 January 28, 2013 at 16:21 #

Eddie and Bradley (minus the crooked bow) in the top row, and 2 men in Zegna in the 3rd row – Jon Hamm and Harry Shum Jr., and Darren Criss in 4th.

Cory looks absolutely ridiculous as far as I´m concerned.

11. Marybeth January 28, 2013 at 16:32 #

Ben Affleck, Bradley Cooper, and John Ham.
    Hugh Jackman would have been an easy #1 for me but I agree that the cut of the trousers was just a bit too skinny.

12. Melanie January 28, 2013 at 16:33 #

Justin Timberlake is my favorite.

Not sure why the you’re giving the “too casual marks” to John K. and Justin Timberlake. The SAGs a pretty lowly rated and on cable. Not nearly as many people watch – it’s like a step up from the PGAs and it was a the grimy Shrine Auditorium.

13. Angie January 28, 2013 at 16:42 #

I have a strong aversion toward Velvet of any kind but Eddie totally works that suit!

I would have loved to have Cory as my prom date…had my prom been in the late 1990′s.

The rest of the guys look good! Well almost all…

14. Linda January 28, 2013 at 17:04 #

Chord, John and Darren look super hot.
    Not loving Eddie Redmayne as much as usual. Bradley Cooper cleaned up nicely too.

15. Yeliz January 28, 2013 at 17:06 #

Justin Timberlake stands out for me.

16. anjos January 28, 2013 at 17:08 #

While I love a bit tighter suits and skinny ties and wish we saw more of that on the red carpet, something about it just never works for me on John Krasinski. I don’t think he’s got the kind of figure for that silhouette. It always looks too small on him. Maybe he should go one size up for the jacket.

17. robbie January 28, 2013 at 17:42 #

oh my heart went all aflutter seeing darren criss, his smile just makes my heart melt. he looks GOOD!

darren and john are my personally favourites in the mens category.

18. TeaAtTwo January 28, 2013 at 18:31 #

The classic approach were my favourites on this occasion Bradley (even with the crooked bow tie), Hugh, Ben, Jon, Russell and Darren.
    I would like to see Eddie, Justin and Mark’s (albeit without the clip and awful haircut) looks on a less formal occasion.
    In that couple shot Freida kind of looks like Dev’s mother with that hairstyle. Though she is beautiful.

19. Luis January 28, 2013 at 19:35 #

Justin & Eddie!

20. dee January 28, 2013 at 19:39 #

I really like Justin Timberlake’s look. It is something different and it stands out in a good way.

21. adrian January 28, 2013 at 20:04 #

Harry Shum FTW

22. Tiffany January 28, 2013 at 20:34 #

For me Jon Hamm, Justin Timberlake, and Bradley Cooper are the clear best dressed of the night. I don’t even mind that Bradley Cooper’s tie is crooked.

23. EmmaWoodhouse January 28, 2013 at 21:07 #

Eddie stands out here for me. I like his cool velvet suits.

24. Markness January 29, 2013 at 02:32 #

I’m torn between Eddie and JT. They both look so handsome! I’m gonna go with JT but Eddie is super close second!

25. J.A. January 29, 2013 at 04:20 #

You may not knot this, but the buttons on Hugh Jackman’s shirt had encrusted diamonds. That fact just made me buy the look.

26. jill January 29, 2013 at 13:26 #