18.01.13

Emma Stone for W Magazine’s February Best Performances Issue

Emma Stone cover

‘Gangster Squad’ star Emma Stone covers W’s February Best Performances issue wearing a Marc Jacobs leather jacket and bra.

Emma is one of the 32 actors featured in this issue’s incredible celebrity portfolio by photographer Juergen Teller that captures the zeitgeist of Hollywood today.

In the rest of the editorial we see a pure, unvarnished Emma stripped of Hollywood glamour showcasing honest emotion wearing Calvin Klein, Alexander McQueen and Balmain.

The girl of the moment talks to W about staying serious while filming dramas, her reaction to her Oscar presentation last year to Ben Stiller and what movie made her cry.

Read more over at Wmagazine.com or check out the extracts below.

On whether it’s difficult to stay serious in dramas: “In real life, sometimes it’s uncomfortable for me not to go for the joke. I’ve been looking at that in myself lately. Often, joking for me is a way of diffusing the awkwardness of a situation, so it’s kind of exhilarating to be a part of projects where there’s nothing funny or lighthearted.”

On the reaction to her Oscar presentation last year with Ben Stiller: “Thanks. Though a lot of people thought it was something else: When I came offstage, they were saying, “You were so drunk!” And I wasn’t. Not until after… ”

On what movie made her cry: “The end of City Lights makes me cry every time I see it—when Charlie Chaplin walks by the shop window and the once blind girl brings him a flower and pins it to his lapel. She’s always thought that he was a millionaire, but he was really a tramp. She feels his hand and says, “You?” And he nods. He says, “You can see now?” And she says, “Yes, I can see now.” They cut back to his face, and he lights up like you’ve never seen. That last line—“Yes, I can see now”—has so many meanings. It’s echoed in every great romantic movie since then and in every great moment of life. ”

Credit: Juergen Teller for W Magazine

Nicola Peltz In Balenciaga - 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Rio de Janeiro Photocall

Nicola Peltz In Balenciaga – ‘Transformers: Age of Extinction’ Rio de Janeiro Photocall

Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana - 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Broadway Opening Night After Party

Scarlett Johansson In Dolce & Gabbana – ‘Cat On A Hot Tin Roof’ Broadway Opening Night After Party

14 Responses to Emma Stone for W Magazine’s February Best Performances Issue

1. justme January 18, 2013 at 12:32 #

I don’t like this shoot :’(

I have nothing against Emma but she doesn’t have an ounce of sex appeal imo. So when they try to style her as a vixen/ingenue, it ends up looking awkward.

She even looks uncomfortable, almost like a scared child in some of these tbh.

• Linda January 18, 2013 at 13:05 #

I just looked at the three other pics, and Justme is right, they even make her look very childlike. So the story for this editorial is pictures of a child like, waifish, sick looking abused looking woman in a motel room. Gross.

• TL January 18, 2013 at 17:44 #

Agree with both of you! These photos look weird, she looks so uncomfortable, and seems like she was forced to take the photo shoot.

2. happydaiz January 18, 2013 at 13:02 #

Cheer up love!

3. Linda January 18, 2013 at 13:03 #

Yikes. That cover looks like a sick, dirty, abused waif. I’m so tired of covers that do this to women.

4. Rebecca Z January 18, 2013 at 16:06 #

I agree that this shoot is unpleasant and degrading. I think she is spectacular (and sexy) but agree the abused child theme is really objectionable.

5. Yeliz January 18, 2013 at 17:02 #

Not liking this editorial.

• adrian January 18, 2013 at 19:38 #

+ a lot!!!

• Christine January 19, 2013 at 02:42 #

It’s not working. I agree.

6. EmmaWoodhouse January 18, 2013 at 17:23 #

This cover and editorial make me very sad. I love Emma, find her funny, talented, and relatable, but this just makes her look trashy and strung-out. As others have said, this has a creepy abused, neglected feel.

7. Joy January 18, 2013 at 20:51 #

What were they thinking?

8. Niki January 19, 2013 at 12:12 #

This shoot is pathetic. The managed to make not only Emma Stone, but make most of the other actors in portfolio look like they’re on crack. The only thing I like about this shoot is the Balmian dress. Is the drugged up look in this season, or did some one just develop a hatred for all things concealer?

9. Niki January 19, 2013 at 12:16 #

‘They managed’, not ‘the’. Hehe…

10. Lola January 21, 2013 at 00:14 #

I kind of like it – but only the close-ups, so you can see the styling (or lack there-of). She looks beautiful, there is a lot of emotion on those sparkling green eyes.

It’s the setting that I hate. The seedy motel room background reminds me of those bad taste American Apparel commercials with the girls in the transparent underwear – is anyone else getting that vibe?

Beautiful girl, bad shoot.