Alicia Vikander In Chanel – 2013 Art Of Elysium ‘Heaven’ Gala

Alicia Vikander In Chanel Pre Fall - Art Of Elysium 'Heaven' GalaYou may not have heard of Alicia Vikander, a relative newcomer on the scene. The young Swedish actress attended the 2013 Art of Elysium ‘Heaven’ Gala, hosted last night at 2nd Street Tunnel in Los Angeles, California.

Unfortunately, she still has a few things to learn about dressing for the red carpet. Her Chanel gown from the Pre-Fall 2012 collection left something to be desired.

The intricate nod to India and the lustrous Paris-Bombay vibe of the Chanel runway didn’t translate once removed from that magical stage.

The champagne colour and metallic embellishment at the shoulder and waist lost its charm and didn’t feel new or fresh—and certainly not heavenly. And the sash detail tucked into the skirt pockets came off as a strange afterthought.

Perhaps I would have liked this look better if Alicia had added some intensity with a smoky eye or had done something more exciting than pull her hair into a messy ponytail.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Maria Bello In Salvatore Ferragamo - 'Prisoners' Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Maria Bello In Salvatore Ferragamo – ‘Prisoners’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Jennifer Lawrence In Valentino Couture - 38th Annual Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards

Jennifer Lawrence In Valentino Couture – 38th Annual Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards

14 Responses to Alicia Vikander In Chanel – 2013 Art Of Elysium ‘Heaven’ Gala

1. cristal January 13, 2013 at 15:47 #

“if Berenice had added some intensity” typo

• Fashion Critic January 13, 2013 at 15:57 #

we are typing several posts at once, thank you for your patience and understanding.

2. Christine January 13, 2013 at 15:48 #

Nope it’s not translating well off the runway but she looks decent. Not too bad.

3. Yeliz January 13, 2013 at 15:51 #

Well, I was looking forward to see more from her on the red carpet, but her first look of the year is just bad.

4. Rashmi January 13, 2013 at 16:05 #

yup, not translating well.
    Actually the point of these types of dresses are, they really need accessories or else it will fall flat.

5. amparo January 13, 2013 at 16:55 #

I disagree. I think she looks way better than the runway model who looks very overdone. Maybe Alicia needs a stronger make up but she is young and looks good to me.

6. maribel January 13, 2013 at 17:25 #

She looks perfectly fine. Very appropriate and well put together. Besides, it is a red carpet, not a fancy dress party. if she had opted for “smooky eyes” I am sure you would criticize her for being “too literal”.

7. Ramsay January 13, 2013 at 17:31 #

Oh well this is effortlessly chic – I like it a lot

8. Lisa January 13, 2013 at 18:52 #

The only negative vibe I got was I think the dress looks too short. Otherwise, I think. She looks good. Solid B grade.

9. Pati January 13, 2013 at 21:33 #

To me, it looks like a cheap costume for the children’s dancing/acting troupe.

10. Manja January 13, 2013 at 22:14 #

I don’t think it’s the dress… Make up & hair r waaay to casual for this outfit. The look is missing a focal point, which should b her face, I guess. She looks very pretty and fresh, should have opted for a different gown.

11. Lina January 13, 2013 at 23:01 #

I think this picture really doesn’t do the outfit justice, it looks a lot better in the other pictures! I think the bare makeup and ponytail actually is a better styling than the model, looks much more fresh and it’s nice to not see someone who is overfixed on the red carpet for once! her face really doesn’t need strong make-up!

12. EmmaWoodhouse January 14, 2013 at 03:31 #

For one thing, I have almost no respect for Chanel designs anymore. A shawl attached to the dress like that or whatever the heck it is? I’m sorry, it’s just awkward. And not creative. Weird does not always equal good. She tried her best, and parts of it are cute on her but she’s having to wrangle a really strange outfit.

13. Jess2 January 14, 2013 at 09:17 #

I think she looks good but the look is missing that special something. It isn’t a bad start to her RC career but hopefully we will see her blossom.