12.01.13

2013 AFI Awards Red Carpet Round Up

2013 AFI Awards

Here are the rest of the attendees who took to the red carpet on Friday afternoon at the Four Seasons Los Angeles in Beverly Hills, California for the 2013 AFI Awards.

Kiernan Shipka: Why Elle Fanning won Best Dressed Teen 2012 over Kiernan I will never quite understand, as the ‘Mad Man’ actress’ style prowess and infinitely better shoe closet leaves Fanning in the shade for me. On this occasion she wore an uber cute yellow Valentino frock with satin black trims paired with simple black Rupert Sanderson ankle-strap sandals. Light makeup and a simple bun complete her fresh, youthful look.

Lena Dunham: There was much debate over Lena’s previous look with some saying that she’s “just-not-that-into-fashion” and others arguing that she needs to play that game. Well it looked like she upped her game at this event wearing a figure flattering Zac Posen grape cape-sleeve dress with a flared skirt. Silver glitter Charlotte Olympia ‘Kitty’ flats and a berry lip colour to complement her dress completed her look.

Sally Field: The actress selected a grey-and-white Stella McCartney short sleeve dress with a white lace overlay which we’ve also seen on Michelle Dockery. Grey pearls and grey pumps perfect her day time chic look.

2013 AFI Awards 2

Emilia Clarke: The British actress wore a great British brand donning a Temperley London Spring 2013 frock. The sleeveless embroidered look was styled with nude Mary Jane pumps and a leather bracelet. Nice, but I’m a tad bored by the one-note-ness of this look.

Jessica Pare: The ‘Mad Men’ actress wore a chartreuse draped Roksanda Ilincic knee-length dress with neutral pointy pumps. The look is crying out for an additional accessory.

Christina Hendricks: Towards the end of last year, Christina had many successful outings in L’Wren Scott. Unfortunately this printed dress feels a tad frumpy, but I appreciate her accessories which include a coral clutch and Jerome C. Rousseau ‘Aizza’ nude silk pumps.

Credit: Getty

Poppy Delevingne's Emilio Pucci Hand Painted Dragon Dress

Poppy Delevingne’s Emilio Pucci Hand Painted Dragon Dress

Allison Williams In Oscar de la Renta - Late Show With David Letterman

Allison Williams In Oscar de la Renta – Late Show With David Letterman

39 Responses to 2013 AFI Awards Red Carpet Round Up

1. Nat39 January 12, 2013 at 01:34 #

Kiernan Shipka all the way!!

• Christine January 12, 2013 at 04:04 #

She’s the only who look good from this set. So cute1

• Alex January 12, 2013 at 06:35 #

• Beta January 14, 2013 at 10:51 #

yessss!! I voted for her!!
      Elle is a fashion girl but cannot get through her shoe choices :P

2. Tina January 12, 2013 at 01:40 #

I adore Kiernan’s look! It’s young, fresh, and impossibly pretty. Pity that she didn’t win last year’s Best Dressed Teen Award. I was rooting for her and Ariel Winter.

3. TeaAtTwo January 12, 2013 at 01:47 #

I think I would have loved Christina in Jessica’s dress.

• admmgz January 12, 2013 at 02:06 #

I agree

• Dhppy January 13, 2013 at 00:12 #

Good call.

4. T from Sydney January 12, 2013 at 01:53 #

Kiernan Shipka has never not worn a horrible outfit unlike Elle Fanning who for me always choses a horrible outfit.

Kiernan Shipka looks wonderful here i love that dress.

I have no idea what Christina Hendricks was thinking.

5. Suz January 12, 2013 at 01:56 #

Amen about Kiernan Shipka! She’s definitely the best dressed teen… and she holds her own against a lot of the adult women too!

• admmgz January 12, 2013 at 02:05 #

• Ella January 12, 2013 at 02:23 #

Couldn’t agree with you more!

• cartouche January 12, 2013 at 02:29 #

yes! she looks so chic here

• SilentVisitor January 12, 2013 at 04:27 #

I agree. She got my vote for the 2012 best dressed teen but………anyway she once again looks just perfect

6. Jess January 12, 2013 at 02:21 #

while lena does look more polished, she’s still not choosing clothes for her body type…those sleeves make her shoulders/arms look bulky and awkward.

and keirnan looks adorable as always!

7. Neli January 12, 2013 at 02:34 #

Kiernan Shipka <3

8. EmmaWoodhouse January 12, 2013 at 02:41 #

Kiernan: My best dressed teen of the year–flawless once again.
    Lena: Ok, the dress isn’t terrible BUT it’s still not as flattering as it could be The skirt starts too high. Her hair is terrible and the makeup is too dark. The shoes are cute but rather too casual and the tattoo is all wrong. I appreciate the (slight) improvement but she has room to grow for sure.
    Sally: Not liking the messy hair but the dress is tres chic and not at all matronly.
    Emilia: a bright shoe would have been nice but I LOVE the dress. She looks SO classy and beautiful. My favorite here.
    Jessica: the style of the dress is elegant (a little bare of accessories, as you said) but the chartreuse shade is sickly on her. It’s a tough one to pull off.
    Christina: Wow. I can’t even.

9. Mary January 12, 2013 at 02:44 #

Kiernan is so lovely! Like someone said before, she’s the best dressed teen (and sometime, best dressed than adult woman!)

On another point, can someone stop Lena Dunham? Or hire her a (better) stylist? Because like Michelle Dockery (that I love!) had done in her custom Louis Vuitton dress at the Emmys, she is burning my eyes each time she appears on a red carpet (unlike Michelle who still manage to look poise and graceful even in unflattering dresses)!

10. Amy January 12, 2013 at 02:50 #

could Christina look more grannyish? Seriously i give up.
    Kiernan: pure tween perfection.

11. Joy January 12, 2013 at 03:43 #

I agree with all the comments on Kiernan’s great fashion choices. In addition she could give most of the adults lessons in perfect posture. She sells the look by standing tall.

12. Ss January 12, 2013 at 04:14 #

Kiernan Shipka was who I voted Best Dressed Teen. To me, she always looks flawless.

Apart from Kiernan, I love what Emilia is wearing. That dress is just beautiful.

13. Jess2 January 12, 2013 at 04:24 #

I completely agree about Kiernan, she is my favourite here and I love her style, she always looks gorgeous. Sally also looks lovely.
    Lena’s looks would be improved if she had better posture (like Kiernan’s). This is definitely a step up from her previous look though.
    I adore Christina’s clutch on its own but the rest of this look is not good! Bad from head to toe.

14. Marybeth January 12, 2013 at 04:33 #

Kiernan Shipka is definitely my favorite of these. I just love the dress and the way the shoes complement it so well. Perfect head to toe.

She and Ariel Winter were my best-dressed teens of 2012. (I can’t remember which one I voted for. I think I flipped a coin!) They both have a style that is age-appropriate and chic, young without being childish, girly without being sugary, fun without being silly.

It looks like Kiernan is going to continue her good run into 2013. I hope Ariel does too. These girls are a pleasure to watch.

• Marybeth January 12, 2013 at 04:58 #

Oh, I forgot about the adults. :D
      Emilia and Jessica look very nice but something is missing.
      I am so sorry Sally Field’s hair is a mess because the rest is wonderful. I love the dress on her. Can you imagine having such a gorgeous shape at that age? And she doesn’t look “over-gymmed” or starved either. Please Lord, let me look half as good!

15. Stephanie January 12, 2013 at 04:42 #

Christina should wear a dress like Jessica’s, though in a different color- no one looks great in that color!

16. Cindy January 12, 2013 at 05:01 #

Kiernan…BDOTW!!!!

17. MissAmynae January 12, 2013 at 06:28 #

That is the best Lena Dunham has ever looked. She’s got such a Rubenesque (sloped shoulders, smaller bust, short waist, wider hips) that she can handle ultra-feminine shapes better than some. This is exceptional, and the color is so very lovely. Well done keeping the quirky personality with the shoes.

Christina and Jessica need to trade. Kiernan leaves me speechless.

18. Yeliz January 12, 2013 at 08:19 #

Still can’t believe how Kiernan didn’t won best dressed teen. She looks absolutely adorable and perfectly put together as always. I also like Emilia’s look. Christina is the worst of the bunch.

19. Elise January 12, 2013 at 08:45 #

I love Kiernan’s look from head to toe. Elle usually wears beautiful dresses but her shoe election ruins almost all of them IMHO. I voted Christina as candidate for the improvement in 2013, I can see I was right.

20. Jai January 12, 2013 at 09:12 #

Keira looks so good. One of my favourites of the week. She is not only clearly best dressed teen but in my opinion one of the best dressed on the red carpet full stop.

• Jai January 12, 2013 at 09:13 #

Sorry, Kiernan

21. kane January 12, 2013 at 10:09 #

Easy win for Kiernan, followed by Sally. Lena looks better, but it still doesn’t seem to be the right kind of dress. I can totally see Christina in Jessica’s dress, oh yes.

22. TL January 12, 2013 at 13:23 #

Can’t believe the result also, Kiernan is definitely the best dressed teen.

23. Gillian January 12, 2013 at 16:27 #

I personally feel like Kiernan is best dressed if consistency is the basis, but I think in terms of being the most fashionable, elle is really ahead of the game. She takes risk and encapsulates how I feel young women should look at fashion — to have fun with it and not take it too seriously. I feel like Kiernan dresses very beautifully, but then has a style that is very generic red carpet celebrity dressing.

• taksi January 12, 2013 at 17:16 #

24. DivaDebbi January 12, 2013 at 16:32 #

As a Personal Shopper and Stylist who has dressed hundreds of bodies, Lena has a very unusual body. Because she is so short waisted, with narrow shoulders and a smaller high waist and rib cage, this style dress with a fuller skirt is a perfect choice. She has slim legs, so this would have looked better with a femme 90 mm pump IMO. Challenging to say the least…
    Kierna continues to shine. I dont care for the dress or color on Jessica. I continue to be flummoxed by Christina’s always ghastly choices. I would love to dress het!

• DivaDebbi January 12, 2013 at 16:35 #

And not to be unkind, but with Lena’s severe hair and makeup here she reminds me of Lidia Bostanovich.

• Dhppy January 13, 2013 at 00:27 #

Yes, she does look like her here.

25. asherlev1 January 12, 2013 at 17:11 #

Kiernannn!! I agree FC, I was so disappointed to see that Elle had won over Kiernan. Elle hasn’t delighted me on the red carpet in a while now.

But Kiernan!!