10.01.13 Premiere

Lena Dunham In Valentino – ‘Girls’ Season 2 Premiere

Lena Dunham In Valentino - 'Girls' Season 2 Premiere

Lena Dunham joined Solange Knowles and her ‘Girls’ co-star Allison Williams on the red carpet at the NYU Skirball Center in New York City for the season 2 premiere screening yesterday evening.

Opting for a black-and-white colour palette, the actress wore a Valentino strapless jumpsuit.

The simple look has a sculptural contrast bow accent at the back and slashed pockets.

I’m not sure if I want to hike this up or pull it down a bit because the area under the bust is bunching, which is putting me off liking this look. That and those horrible tattoos.

Also, the look feels too bare. A cuff or a clutch was needed.

Fred Leighton jewels and simple black pumps completed her look.

You can buy Lena’s Valentino jumpsuit from Saks.com and Luisa via Roma.

Credit: Getty

Penelope Cruz In Loewe - 'Venuto al Mondo' Madrid Photocall

Penelope Cruz In Loewe – ‘Venuto al Mondo’ Madrid Photocall

Agbani Darego In Roland Mouret & Stella McCartney - 30th Birthday Party

Agbani Darego In Roland Mouret & Stella McCartney – 30th Birthday Party

44 Responses to Lena Dunham In Valentino – ‘Girls’ Season 2 Premiere

1. Yeliz January 10, 2013 at 18:19 #

This is very unflattering.

• dee January 10, 2013 at 20:09 #

+1000

• Noemi (WBiS) January 10, 2013 at 20:24 #

Totally. And the fit is terrible. Let’s be honest, you need the right body to pull off some clothes.

• sammy January 10, 2013 at 21:31 #

I’m with u on this one

• SilentVisitor January 11, 2013 at 20:51 #

Me too

2. Nat39 January 10, 2013 at 18:21 #

She forgot to take her body type into account. This jumpsuit is a really bad choice for her. She looks awfully pear-shaped, the tattoes are jarring esp. next to the sweet bow detail on the back, and I agree that the look feels unfinished – she needed a cuff or a clutch to complete the look.

3. Mary January 10, 2013 at 18:23 #

This is awful! Surely I’m biased because I dislike her but this is really unflattering (not that I liked her previous outfits …).

4. noo January 10, 2013 at 18:28 #

this plus mariah carey’s monstrosity earlier have ruined valentino for me!

5. Christine January 10, 2013 at 18:37 #

I have no words. Just wow.

6. Kate January 10, 2013 at 18:40 #

Someone really needed to stage an intervention before Lena hit the red carpet. This is entirely wrong for her body type. Girl, that’s not your jumpsuit.

7. Neli January 10, 2013 at 18:41 #

The Red Carpet Looks From 2013 We Didn’t Like!

• Fashion Critic January 10, 2013 at 18:46 #

totes.. :D

• EmmaWoodhouse January 10, 2013 at 20:45 #

Oohhh, yeah. Totally. This is HORRENDOUS! The jumpsuit is doing her no favors AT ALL and the tattoos are really tacky too…

• SilentVisitor January 11, 2013 at 20:51 #

lol

8. Camille January 10, 2013 at 18:43 #

one word: hideous

9. robert January 10, 2013 at 18:49 #

I’m sorry, but some clothes just aren’t meant for plus size women.

• priyanka January 10, 2013 at 19:11 #

first of all, she’s not plus-sized. second, between the high waist and the cut of the pants, the jumpsuit would not be flattering on a lot of women. she clearly makes poor style decisions and at her level of fame she should have enough access to get things that fit her properly, but i don’t think it’s appropriate to body-shame her.

• robert January 10, 2013 at 20:14 #

Body-shame? Oh my!

That is most certainly not what I was doing. I recall when Monica Cruz wore a dress that most people agreed looked much better on the rail thin model than her. There have also been instances when a dress looked better on a curvier woman than a thin one. But when people point out that a, ahem, “well-rounded” woman doesn’t look good in something that was clearly intended for a thin woman, that’s ‘body-shaming’?

I think not.

• Marybeth January 10, 2013 at 19:12 #

Exactly! A good part of dressing well is finding styles and variations that work well with your own figure. There are plus-size women — Octavia Spencer and Queen Latifah immediately come to mind — who can knock most women with “perfect” figures out of the park, fashion-wise. If Lena wants to succeed on the red carpet, she needs to study what they do.

• James January 10, 2013 at 20:14 #

I don’t think Lena has much interest in “succeeding” on the red carpet. She is doing just fine everywhere else.

• Rebecca Z January 10, 2013 at 20:33 #

I am not sure that she cares about dressing well–I don’t mean this as a slam against Lena at all–I just think she has different priorities. Look at what all four of these young women are wearing for the premier–they are pretty much in character for the show.

• Taylor January 11, 2013 at 00:43 #

She would not be wearing Valentino (albeit hideously) if dressing well was not a priority for her.

• Lex January 10, 2013 at 21:24 #

Yes, and there are pear shaped women who always wear full skirts so we never think of them as anything other than svelte, like Carey Mulligan and Emma Watson.

10. Kristin January 10, 2013 at 19:30 #

I give her creds for shoving off her figure even though it’s not the normal “Hollywood size”. She’s got a shape that is quite hard to dress flattering.

And she is definitely not a plus size girl, she’s just not a size 0.

• adrian January 10, 2013 at 22:06 #

11. Moxie January 10, 2013 at 19:52 #

She’s too short to pull this look off. Dress for your body type!

12. Amy January 10, 2013 at 20:23 #

i’m too distracted by the body ink, those are some ugly tattos. unflattering jumpsuit

13. justme January 10, 2013 at 20:53 #

As much as I can’t stand her, I wouldn’t call her plus-sized.
    I do agree that the cut of this particular jumpsuit doesn’t flatter her shape.
    She has a short torso and long legs, why doesn’t she/her stylist focus on the latter?

14. andrea January 10, 2013 at 21:15 #

This is wrong on soooooooo many levels.

15. robbie January 10, 2013 at 21:37 #

she managed to make this look so cheap and tacky.

16. C January 10, 2013 at 22:08 #

I don’t think she should be criticised for her tattoos, if we’re being objective. It’s part of her permanent appearance, and I don’t think it’s what ultimately undermines this look.

• Lee January 10, 2013 at 22:18 #

• Nat39 January 10, 2013 at 23:21 #

I don’t think she is being critisized for her tattoes but more for wearing the outfit that exposes them so badly.

• Lina January 11, 2013 at 12:24 #

In what way are they exposed badly? either they are exposed or they are not. personally I think lena always get too much negativity, at least i feel thankful when you see someone different on the hollywood red carpet. because to be honest, lena is normal, it’s hollywood that’s not normal. thankfully for her she probably doesn’t care too much about it.

• SilentVisitor January 11, 2013 at 20:50 #

What does normal mean here? Does that mean those who look like the Hollywood types (whatever that means) are not normal? Of course there are also those who don’t look like the Hollywood types.
          That jumpsuit is hideous on her and I think it is simply because she did not consider her body type.

17. CTgirl January 10, 2013 at 22:52 #

Noooooooooooooooo

18. TeaAtTwo January 10, 2013 at 23:45 #

One of those fashion moments that I wish I could unsee. This is cheap looking (I do have a bias against tattoos)and unflattering all round.

19. Taylor January 11, 2013 at 00:39 #

Did she seriously look in the mirror before she left for this event and think this was okay? I mean. This girl has way too much self-esteem.

• robert January 11, 2013 at 02:48 #

“This girl has way too much self-esteem.” Lol, it’s true, there is such a thing!

20. Taksi January 11, 2013 at 02:00 #

I think the top would have been better if it was fitted but I don’t think it’s so bad. I feel like between the height of the waist and the heels it achieves that tall, ‘lean’ look she’s going for. Her hips are bigger than what we expect for those pants but the overall silhouette is ok.

Also, I like her back tattoo. Not something I would do, but it’s pretty.

21. Tea January 11, 2013 at 08:15 #

I really wasn’t going to say anything about this look but wow it really doesn’t fit, does it? Um, I like the bow…you know just as a thing, not actually as a part of this look.

And well I probably shouldn’t go here (and I don’t even think she’s “plus-sized”) but I really don’t get this “plus-size” term, don’t human beings just come in all different sizes? What’s the big deal? Do we need a “minus-size” range too? And I’m asking that as someone who has been too skinny to buy off the rack clothes but I really don’t think I’d appreciate being called “minus-size”.

• Lina January 11, 2013 at 12:25 #

22. Dhppy January 11, 2013 at 20:23 #

I like the hair.

23. DivaDebbi January 11, 2013 at 20:46 #

I like the hair and makeup. I think the jumpsuit looks atrocious on her.