24.12.12 Best Of

Most Consistent 2012 & Film Festival Queen 2012 – Diane Kruger

Diane Kruger really couldn’t be more chic if she tried. The German actress and former model has a body made for fashion, and she works each and every angle to brilliant effect, continuously sending out waves of shock and awe.

She is Miss Consistency, always dressing to perfection in the hottest labels, including Azzedine Alaia, Lanvin, Marchesa, Prabal Gurung, Prada and Chanel (she’s a brand ambassador), whether she’s on the red carpet, at a glittery benefit or a launch event.

This overachieving star has picked up another crown though, too, as the Film Festival Queen of 2012, trotting out trendsetting excitement at every turn.

She was indeed Cannes royalty this past year with one lusciously glam and deliciously daring look after the next from Christian Dior Couture, Giambattista Valli Couture, Nina Ricci and Vivienne Westwood (a VW rose-gold sequin gown was her most phenomenal entrance).

Diane’s wardrobe weapons of choice are unquestionably avant-garde, style-forward creations, ripped from the hautest runways of New York, Paris and Milan. And she generally looks every bit as good as the models who first debuted the designs—if not better.

But don’t for a minute think that she is content to rest on her past fashion wins.

This hip beauty usually has a surprise up her sleeve and has time and again proven she’s not afraid to experiment, playing with looks that range from ladylike to androgynous, loose-fitting to figure-flattering, covered-up to barely there, and everything in between.

She just usually happens to gamble well in her high-stakes style game.

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Male 2012 - Eddie Redmayne

Best Dressed Male 2012 – Eddie Redmayne

Breakout Star 2012 - Nina Dobrev

Breakout Star 2012 – Nina Dobrev

18 Responses to Most Consistent 2012 & Film Festival Queen 2012 – Diane Kruger

1. pipsqueak December 24, 2012 at 16:20 #

Josh Jackson, you’ve certainly traded it up! Diane is just peerless on the red carpet when it comes to consistency. So happy for the German beauty. It’s also nice to be home for holidays and able to read this blog as posts are coming in. What a treat!

2. Christine December 24, 2012 at 16:23 #

She was my pick for Film Festival Queen. She really did rocked the house at Cannes.

3. Yeliz December 24, 2012 at 16:24 #

I voted for her in both categories. I don’t know who I could vote for, if we didn’t had Diane. She had a perfect year minus her white Cushnie et Ochs dress.

4. AW December 24, 2012 at 16:57 #

I’m sure I will be in the minority here but I think she is completely overrated.

I don’t think she gives life to the clothes, although she does make good shoe choices.

Additionally, her hair/makeup is a bit aging. JMHO

• justme December 24, 2012 at 18:13 #

I’m with you.
      I will admit that she has some great moments but overall, I don’t get the fascination.
      To each their own though.

• moonbeam December 24, 2012 at 18:39 #

I agree. She’s like a mannequin — clothes fit her well but she has no presence. And she barely ever has a discernible facial expression to complement her looks!

• Taksi December 25, 2012 at 19:12 #

I agree about the lack of presence, though, I think she probably does make the most consistently interesting clothing choices; I would also put Kate Bosworth, though her style is less formal, I think.

• Moxie December 27, 2012 at 15:45 #

I either love her looks or hate them. To me she isn’t consistent. I did love most of her Festival looks, though. Most.

5. Alina December 24, 2012 at 17:05 #

I agree about Film Festival Queen – I voted for her too.
    My pick for Most Consistent was Elizabeth Banks.

6. Sammy C December 24, 2012 at 18:00 #

Absolutely agree on consistency award and festival queen… That Dior dress is to die for! I also like the Vivienne Westwood and Giambattista Valli, although I picked her in Dior for the best of the year top 10 as I think that as classic a gown as it is we don’t get to see it that much on the red carpet as opposed to the other two styles. Plus it works in great part, because of her. I can’t imagine that many other women pulling it off.

Either way, she looks so incredibly great so many times that Im glad she also got to make Top 10 in the best of the year category, regardless of the gown/event. Im surprised she wasn’t higher up on your list FC!

Thanks for this whole ‘end of the year awards/round up’ section. It’s great, i love it.

7. Amy December 24, 2012 at 19:01 #

AMEN. Noone does red carpet better than Diane for me. Her looks always command my attention, even if I don’t like the whole thing there’s always something that I like. She deserves it even if I picked her for festival queen
    Special mention to Elizabeth Banks and Karolina Kurkova

8. Karen December 24, 2012 at 20:05 #

I loved that two tone pale gray Prabal dress she recently wore.

9. Emily December 24, 2012 at 22:53 #

Totally agree she is Miss Consistency and Miss Film Festival! I personally just LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE her and her style. HOWEVER….am i the only one that thinks she has slipped a little over the recent weeks? She made some interesting choices for her last few red carpet appearance and I really am not sure if that risk had paid off. Anyway, I have my hats off to Diane, my ultimate Girl Crush :)

THank you FC for bringing us the best of the fashion world. Merry Xmas to you :)

Emily xx

10. kiwi December 25, 2012 at 05:06 #

yesss..impeccably stylish.. for me her best was the giambattista Valli gown at cannes

11. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2012 at 14:59 #

Thrilled to see her win both of these. She is so deserving! Even though all of her looks didn’t work for me, the ones that did were just flawless. She really was one of the best this year–glad to see her win these AND BDOTY! :)

12. J December 26, 2012 at 05:22 #

My goddess… I kneel at her altar. Esp. loved the Dior gown at Cannes.

13. Moxie December 27, 2012 at 15:43 #

I didn’t vote for Diane for Most Consistent, although I did for Festival Queen. Too me her looks were up and down, not consistent at all. Her looks are love it or hate it. But she rocks the Festivals.

14. jones19 December 28, 2012 at 19:03 #

Elizabeth Banks deserved the most consistent award IMO but festival queen belongs to Diane. J’adore.