24.12.12 Best Of

Emerging Designer 2012 – Maria Lucia Hohan

Maria Lucia Hohan is the best designer you never really heard of, but her designs have graced the red carpet at many major events this year, including the Oscars.

The Romanian designer has a client list many emerging designers would kill for including Jennifer Hudson, Stacy Kiebler, Ashley Tisdale, Jennifer Lopez and her biggest fan is Taylor Swift.

That doesn’t mean she makes sparkly gowns. Quite the opposite; her ethereal, elaborately draped, often pleated gowns are sequin-free.

Known for her illusion paneling and figure flattering silhouettes, it’s no wonder starlets like Taylor Swift keep Maria on speed-dial.

Credit: Getty

Most Popular Shoe 2012 – Christian Louboutin ‘Bis Un Bout’ Pumps

Most Popular Shoe 2012 – Christian Louboutin ‘Bis Un Bout’ Pumps

Entertainer of 2012 – Florence Welch

Entertainer of 2012 – Florence Welch

8 Responses to Emerging Designer 2012 – Maria Lucia Hohan

1. Jess2 December 24, 2012 at 10:41 #

I really love Maria’s dresses, I look forward to seeing more from her next year!

2. Alina December 24, 2012 at 11:06 #

I’m Romanian and I’m so happy for Maria’s succes!

• Ioana December 24, 2012 at 22:46 #

+1. I am Romanian too and I am so glad that she made one of your “2012 fashion lists” :) Hope she’ll start a new edgier collection…

3. Yeliz December 24, 2012 at 11:15 #

Her designs are amazing. Hope she’ll get even more credit next year.

4. Andreea December 24, 2012 at 11:25 #

Proud to be romanian ,just like her.Hope she has succes also nect year.Love her dresses!

5. Christine December 24, 2012 at 15:22 #

I like her work.

6. Amy December 24, 2012 at 19:39 #

I like her dresses but they tend to look the same. Same fabric, same shape. It’s a bit boring

7. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2012 at 14:37 #

Though there were some really fabulous looks by her (Jennifer Hudson picture here, http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2012/12/10/taylor-swift-in-maria-lucia-hohan-grammy-nominations-concert-live/ and http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2012/08/09/eugenia-silva-in-maria-lucia-hohan-starlight-charity-gala/ )
    a lot of her looks felt samey and she didn’t master illusion netting very well on many gowns. Still she was ubiquitous so I understand the award.