24.12.12 Best Of

Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2012

1. Diane Kruger in Vivienne Westwood – ‘Amour’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere
2. Coco Rocha in Zac Posen – 9th Annual Spring Dinner Dance New Year’s In April: A Fool’s Fete
3. Blake Lively in Zuhair Murad Couture – ‘Savages’ LA Premiere
4. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge in Jenny Packham – ‘Our Greatest Team Rises -BOA Olympic Concert’
5. Zhang Ziyi in Marc Bouwer Couture – New York Chinese Film Festival
6. Nina Dobrev in Donna Karan Atelier – 2012 Met Gala
7. Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford – 2012 Oscars
8. Karolina Kurkova in Rachel Zoe – 2012 Met Gala
9. Jennifer Lawrence in Prabal Gurung – ‘The Hunger Games’ LA Premiere
10. Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace – ‘The Reluctant Fundamentalist’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

See who just missed out on the Top 10

11. Diane Kruger in Giambattista Valli Couture – ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony
12. Diane Kruger in Christian Dior Couture – ‘Therese Desqueyroux’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Closing Ceremony
13. Keira Knightley in Erdem – ‘Anna Karenina’ LA Premiere
14. Katie Aselton in Juan Carlos Obando – ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ LA Premiere
15. Emma Stone in Gucci – ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ Paris Premiere
16. Beyonce Knowles in Marc Bouwer – ‘I Was Here’ World Humanitarian Day Performance
17. Keira Knightley in Elie Saab Couture – ‘Anna Karenina’ Toronto Film Festival Premiere
18. Charlize Theron in Christian Dior Couture – 2012 Golden Globes
19. Elizabeth Banks in Elie Saab – 2012 MTV Movie Awards
20. Tilda Swinton in Haider Ackermann – ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ Cannes Film Festival Premiere & Opening Ceremony

Credit: Getty & Sina

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 - Lupita Nyong’o

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

Red Carpet Designer of 2012 & Couturier of 2012 - Elie Saab

Red Carpet Designer of 2012 & Couturier of 2012 – Elie Saab

63 Responses to Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2012

1. Christine December 24, 2012 at 00:03 #

Number 8 should be higher. Yes to 1, 7 and 9.

• Prudence December 24, 2012 at 01:21 #

omg I thought karolina would make it to the top 3 atleast. aha cant believe, shes the ONLY one of my choices that made it here!!! AND OMG- NOT A SINGLE ELIE SAAB??!!

• Christine December 24, 2012 at 01:29 #

I thought she would be in top 3 too.

4 of my choices made it. 1, 7, 8, and 9.

2. Ella December 24, 2012 at 00:03 #

Hmm…..surprised no Elizabeth Banks on here….

But I totally agree with #1, #4,#6, #9, and #10. I can’t complain ;-)

• noo December 24, 2012 at 08:31 #

People were split between her bill blass and her elie saab :S

3. noo December 24, 2012 at 00:06 #

the only ones i have in common with the top 20 are numbers 1, 5, & 8! But I’m so happy to see diane kruger where she belongs :D

4. Joan December 24, 2012 at 00:12 #

So glad blake made it on the list she was definetely my best dressed of the year! Love every top10 look

5. Yeliz December 24, 2012 at 00:13 #

Not surprised that Diane became our best dressed this year. Her Vivienne Westwood look wasn’t in my list, but she looked stunning, so I’m happy that she won.
    I have three looks from the Top 10 in my own list, but I just noticed that I totally forgot Coco Rocha’s look. And it’s a bit sad, that none of Elizabeth Banks’ or Emma Stone’s looks made it to the Top 10.
    All in all this is a pretty good list, although I don’t think that Blake Lively deserved the 3rd place. She did look great, but her roots killed the look for me.

6. Nourhan December 24, 2012 at 00:21 #

Yayyy i voted for Blake Lively , Kate Middleton , Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Hudson ! So glad my choices made the cut :) Can’t wait to see your list FC ! xx

7. Charlotte December 24, 2012 at 00:49 #

I really like this list! Four of my favourites made it on! (diane, blake, catherine and kate!) looking at this list, i agree with the other comments that elizabeth banks and emma stone probably did deserve some place on this list because they were both so stylish all year although i guess neither had that one wow look that the top 10 had!

8. Alex December 24, 2012 at 01:03 #

I can’t wait to see Critic’s Choice

• Rashmi December 24, 2012 at 04:07 #

same here ! these were relatively known, but am waiting for FC’s choices :D

9. Nat39 December 24, 2012 at 01:10 #

Diane wasn’t my winner but it’s a beautiful memorable look.

Karolina Kurkova should’ve been way up there as far as I’m concerned.

Baffled Angelababy didn’t make it – her gorgeous electric-blue Elie Saab beats most of these looks in sheer beauty.

If I had to pick a winner in a ‘white-crisp caped gown’ category, Solange Knowles would’ve been my choice – she beats Gwyneth Paltrow by a very long mile in my book.

Blake Lively does not deserve to be here (imo), I’d gladly replace her with either of Elizabeth Banks’s looks (orange Elie Saab or yellow Bill Blass).

• Nat39 December 24, 2012 at 01:14 #

I meant Solange’s Rubin Singer look at amfAR benefit gala.

• Nat39 December 24, 2012 at 02:01 #

…well, it wasn’t exactly a cape but long-draped fabric over the shoulders, overall a similar impression somewhat but much more inspiring.

• Dhppy December 24, 2012 at 01:42 #

It’s funny, every time someone mentioned Angelababy in Elie Saab, in my head, I imagined her at the Golden Horse awards and thought “nice, but we’ve seen it before”. It wasn’t until so many had that on their lists that I went back and saw the electric blue gown that I thought, “Okay, now I get it”.

I also would have loved to see Elizabeth Banks’ orange Saab here, but not at Lively’s expense.

10. Dhppy December 24, 2012 at 01:25 #

Boy, I am shocked that neither Keira Knightley, Elzabeth Banks, nor Emma Stone cracked the Top 10. Two of my choices made the list. I think that’s a better scored for me than last year.

It’s interesting that so many of the gowns have similar silhouettes.

11. Xiomalys Crespo December 24, 2012 at 01:29 #

A moment of silence for Elizabeth Banks.

• Anne gaelle December 24, 2012 at 02:22 #

+ 100000000000000000000

Despite the presence of 5 of my choice (Diane, blake, jennifer, kate h. and Karolina). I think this list is very crappy because the lack of Elizabeth Banks is a deception for me and many others. Especially when you see the dresses was chosen instead. Readers have chosen so I have to accept it.

Elizabeth Banks is my Miss Venuzuela, she has robbed.

• TeaAtTwo December 24, 2012 at 03:32 #

LOL +2

• justme December 24, 2012 at 17:20 #

lol seriously.

12. Jess2 December 24, 2012 at 02:17 #

Wow, I am really surprised at who made the top 20, especially considering the posts from the best dressed page with Keira and Elizabeth being favourites. I didn’t like Coco Rocha’s look but all of the ladies were fabulous and deserve the recognition. Very much looking forward to the Critics choice :)

13. Wizzer December 24, 2012 at 02:19 #

Blake and Kate H would definitely be in my top 10.

I did not like this Duchess’ Kate outfit however.
    It looked like something the Queen Mother would have worn.

14. Alex December 24, 2012 at 02:45 #

Gwyneth all the way for me! Diane my 2nd.

15. Rocio Fuentes December 24, 2012 at 02:47 #

Blake on top 3???!!! Really??!!
    Emma Stone deserved a place I think

16. TeaAtTwo December 24, 2012 at 02:49 #

#1,2,5,8 were definitely on my list and I really liked #5, and #7.#9 and #10 weren’t on my list. Gutted neither of Elizabeth Banks’ stunning The Hunger games Berlin or London premiere looks made the list. Emma Stone Gucci ‘The amazing spiderman’ look was on my list. Keira Knightley in Erdem- Anna Karenina premiere and Katie Aselton in purple Juan Carlos Obando gown over looks #4 and possibly #6 though I did like them. So mixed feelings about the final list.

17. Deb December 24, 2012 at 03:03 #

Kinda surprised. The last four would have been my top four tbh. And i would have switched nina dobrev’s donna karan for the ellie saab she wore at cannes

18. CC December 24, 2012 at 03:10 #

totally agree with diane kruger in this dress for best dressed 2012! perfection!

CC

19. shelzkdon December 24, 2012 at 03:22 #

Yawn. I never was really blown away this year. I found street styles more exciting than any gowns. Hoping for a better award season 2013!
    Merry Christmas FC!

20. asherlev1 December 24, 2012 at 03:44 #

Not a huge fan of this top 10! Only SUPER agree with #7 and not angry at #10. WHAT HAPPENEDDDDD. I feel I’ve been out of touch with the general consensus of RCFA readers for a while, if the BDOTW polls have been any indication….

21. Prudence December 24, 2012 at 05:57 #

I think coco rocha shouldn’t have made it here and atleast ONE E BANKS should have been put in. I am soo shocked no emma stone made it either!! cannot wait for fc’s.

22. robert December 24, 2012 at 06:24 #

I will never understand the near universal love of the green Jenny Packham on Kate Middleton. She does not fill the dress in at all and her posture ruined whatever redeeming qualities that dress had. I for one hated that dress: it was too fussy and had too much going on.

Angelina Jolie and Nicole Kidman’s stunning Versace gowns at the Golden Globes didn’t make this list, but Jennifer Lawrence did? Most of these pics are of younger stars, which just proves that no matter how beautiful you are, when you’re no longer a novelty, you can’t really compete with the newer stars.

• Lee December 25, 2012 at 02:19 #

Omg! I completely agree with you!

23. milex December 24, 2012 at 06:52 #

I miss Emma Stone here but she didn’t really deserve it as she says it is 100procent of stylist work so I agree as for Diane.

24. Hillary December 24, 2012 at 06:56 #

What a list! I had a very similar one but 4, 5, and 6 were replaced by Keira in the incredible Erdem (13), Katie Aselton is that gorgeous Juan Carlos Obando purple gown (14), and Elizabeth Banks in the yellow Bill Blass (not even on list). Would have loved to also see Emma Stone break into the Top 10. These four looks are all BDOTY moments to me, I hope they make Critics Choice.
    Thanks FC for your hard work on compiling this list!

25. bm December 24, 2012 at 07:25 #

Can’t wait for your version of Best Dressed of the Year, usually we share some, like Zoe Saldana last year. (Hopefully Freida in Michael Angel, Sonam in Ferragamo, E Banks in Bill Blass, and Karolina in Elie Saab/ Rachel Zoe is on your list too)

26. Molly December 24, 2012 at 07:33 #

Im all for Diane at #1 but I think 8,9, and 10 should have placed higher and the others should have been further down. Im not sure exactly how Blake made the cut though, that was a pretty medicore look to me.
    Merry Christmas and thank you for another great year, FC!

27. Ramsay December 24, 2012 at 08:38 #

Seeing Diane on top is the logical conclusion for this year in red carpet fashion – I loved this look but loved other of her looks even more – well done

28. eliona December 24, 2012 at 08:39 #

Totally chuffed, 6 of my fave made the top ten, missed Fan Bingbing in Elie Saab tho.

29. Tere December 24, 2012 at 08:41 #

Absolutely agree with the list and so happy for Blake,who is my best dressed,to be on the top 3. Anyway, Diane deserves best position not only for this dress but also the rest of the looks she wore this year, always stunning.
    Merry Christmas to all!=)
    Tere

30. Noemi (WBiS) December 24, 2012 at 09:09 #

This is the first time my favorite one wins. Personally, almost every look by D. Kruger deserves the first place, but this one is totally amazing. I also agree with n. 5 and 10.

31. Anna December 24, 2012 at 09:13 #

If I were a designer I would kill to wear Diane Kruger. Best dressed of the year hands down!

32. sara December 24, 2012 at 09:33 #

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace?
    Katie Aselton in Juan Carlos Obando?
    Emma Stone in Gucci?
    Nicole Kidman in Lanvin?
    Fan BingBing in Tadashi Shoji?
    Elizabeth Banks in Bill Blass?
    Cate Blanchett in Rodarte?
    Diane Kruger in Dior Couture?

…..timeless looks. Disappointing they weren’t in the Top 10. I’m anticipating your list FC with fingers crossed.

• Fashion Critic December 24, 2012 at 10:09 #

It looks like you will be disappointed with my list too, because only one from your list features in my list.

• sara December 24, 2012 at 10:21 #

That is why this is fun. Because we all have our own taste and opinion. Happy Holidays.

33. Nat December 24, 2012 at 09:48 #

In the end I didn’t have time to put down my personal top ten list, unfortunately, but I’m very happy to see this list, which is very close to what my personal one would have looked like (a part maybe for Coco Rocha/Zac Posen which wasn’t that impressive to me).
    I’m kinda suprised (in a good way) to see that Diane look at number 1, I loved it but I thought most of the people weren’t so in love with it. I wish her aqua Valli made the Top Ten too.
    Honorable mention to Elizabeth Banks in Bill Blass and Elie Saab.

34. Rebyy December 24, 2012 at 10:15 #

When will we see FC list?

• Fashion Critic December 24, 2012 at 10:26 #

At the end. It will be the last post

• Rebyy December 24, 2012 at 10:27 #

…. Big final….

35. jo December 24, 2012 at 10:42 #

I would choose Elizabeth Banks over this hideous Jennifer Lawrence gown any time, so sad that she didn’t make it. Elizabeth was absolutely amazing this year.
    And no Emma Stone :(
    This year I voted quite differently than the rest of the readers.

36. mm December 24, 2012 at 13:44 #

Gwyneth and Tilda made my best dressed, glad they on the list. Solange in Rubin Singer (sp?) was there too.

37. Alina December 24, 2012 at 13:55 #

IMO, the only ones deserving to be in this list are Diane Kruger, Karolina and Kate Hudson.

I’m sad for Elizabeth Banks.

38. LizLemooooooon December 24, 2012 at 14:40 #

Zzzzz what a boring, safe top 10. Aside from Diane and Karolina this is just a list of people that look the ‘prettiest’ not necessarily the most stylish.
    Looking forward to seeing FC’s choices, I think they’ll be more interesting.
    Sorry readers ;p

39. justme December 24, 2012 at 17:23 #

I didn’t vote for a single person in the top 10 :D
    Hell, even in the top 20, the only one who got my vote was Beyoncé in Marc Bouwer.

It’s about to be a new year so I am trying to change my judging ways. But #4?!!! Really?

FC, I am counting on you for your list lol.

40. Amy December 24, 2012 at 19:36 #

cool list,not mine but I’m glad some of the most memorable looks were there:
    Karolina at the Met gala (deserves top 3), Gwynnie (that cape dress was major), Diane (she nailed Cannes). The others were nice.
    I definitely miss E.Banks (stellar year), Charlize (Golden Globes Dior) and Fan BingBing.
    I liked Blake look but I didn’t imagine that people loved it that much! good for her.

41. ash December 25, 2012 at 07:28 #

Wow, I’m very surprised, I didn’t think that Coco, Blake and the Duchess would be in the top 5.. Not too surprised that Diane would get First place, I just thought it would be for the Christian Dior gown.

42. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2012 at 14:30 #

SO glad to see Coco–for some reason I forgot to vote for her but she was definitely on my list! The Duchess and Diane were my winners, so I’m glad to see them on the list as well (though the Duchess should be above Blake imo). Thrilled to see Zhang as well, she was another of my favorites. Karolina, Nina, and Gwyneth were blockbuster looks that I knew would find a spot–and I’m not surprised to see Kate here as well (though I wasn’t a real fan of her look.) And of course Jennifer’s Prabal would make it on.
    Even though not ever look on this is my favorite, I think it sums up the high points of the year perfectly! Lots of gold on this list, btw!

43. Sanette December 25, 2012 at 18:09 #

Voted for Emma Stone and her Gucci. I’m a bit surprised that Diane won. 8,9 and 10 should be higher imo.

44. Paul McL December 26, 2012 at 19:13 #

Diane looks disgusting, get her off the list.

• Moxie December 27, 2012 at 15:37 #

You’re entitled to your opinion, but obviously the readers disagreed with you.

45. Chloé. December 26, 2012 at 19:45 #

Wow. This is list is kinda, sorta, super predictable. Déjà-vu..

46. Moxie December 27, 2012 at 15:37 #

Half of them were in my Top 10 (1,3,4,5,7). My number 2 pick didn’t even make the Top 20: Kate Hudson In Prabal Gurung – amfAR 3rd Annual Inspiration Gala. Oh well, what a boring world it would be if we all agreed.

47. Mandy January 4, 2013 at 23:46 #

The only one im really scratching my head at is Nina. I mean she looks gorgeous as usual but the gown really isn’t anything we haven’t seen before, other than that i’m very happy. It seems we all have a penchant for gold, sparkles and blues.