23.12.12 Best Of

Model of the Year 2012 – Karolina Kurkova

Whether you’re coco for Rocha, crazy for Karlie or nuts about Natasha (Poly), there was only one model who deserved Model of the Year: Karolina Kurkova.

The Czech model who started, and owned, the menswear trend can wear a printed Roberto Cavalli masculine suit or a sexy Elie Saab gown with equal aplomb.

What’s her secret? A great stylist, good genes, a good sense of style?

Who knows, but whatever it is, it just works…every time.

She’s in her element during film festivals, but she can work the Met Gala steps and award ceremonies with the same grace that leaves other supers green with envy.

We all love Miranda Kerr, but her red carpet style just never measures up to her street style, Karolina, thankfully, doesn’t have that problem.

Credit: Getty

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 - Lupita Nyong’o

Best Newcomer & Breakout Star 2013 – Lupita Nyong’o

Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2012

Best Dressed Of The Year Readers’ Choice 2012

17 Responses to Model of the Year 2012 – Karolina Kurkova

1. noo December 23, 2012 at 23:45 #

I agree with this choice, but if Doutzen Kroes had gone out more I would have preferred her :D

• Kelsey December 29, 2012 at 23:19 #

IAWTC! :)

2. Christine December 23, 2012 at 23:49 #

Yess!!! She killed and owned every RC she steps on.

I can’t for her RC looks in 2013 :D

• Christine December 23, 2012 at 23:50 #

Also, that Roberto Cavalli suit above is one for the books.

• kiwi December 24, 2012 at 08:30 #

3. milex December 23, 2012 at 23:53 #

I wonder how much of her style is in hands of Rachel Zoe :)

4. Yeliz December 23, 2012 at 23:57 #

There were a couple of looks which I didn’t really like, but overall, it was a great year for Karolina. Especially that Cavalli suit and (I didn’t love it, but everyone else did) that Rachel Zoe gown at the Met Gala.

5. Nat39 December 24, 2012 at 01:21 #

Amen. Karolina all the way (!!)

6. Jess2 December 24, 2012 at 02:11 #

Loved Karolina this year, especially her above gold gown and suit and her amazing Rachel Zoe ensemble from the Met Gala!

• Alina December 24, 2012 at 13:50 #

7. TeaAtTwo December 24, 2012 at 02:58 #

Miranda wardrobe for the street+ Karolina’s outfits for the red carpet = pretty much perfection.
    Karolina seems to attend more red carpet events especially gown wearing events than Miranda who looking back only had one or two mediocre Red carpet looks. I love that Karolina gives full commitment and works every outfit like a total pro.

8. Fiona December 24, 2012 at 05:59 #

FC, I think you made a typo when you said, “We all love Miranda Kerr, but her red carpet style just never measures up to her red carpet style” I think you meant street style never measures up to red carpet style?

9. Fer December 24, 2012 at 06:38 #

We all love Miranda Kerr, but her red carpet style just never measures up to her red carpet style, Karolina, thankfully, doesn’t have that problem.

I think it’s street style! or not:( i’m confused.

I love you fc you make life happy and full of joy by making possible for me to see all this gorgeous dresses, tips, and i am just out of words to thank you for your dedication. i wish you nothing but the best. And i just hope that you just have all the joy you give to me, given to you. Thank you

10. Joy December 24, 2012 at 06:53 #

Yay!! She’s my girl! AND…she’s an oldie but a goodie. So she gets extra points for still looking so smashing every time we see her. She’s the only model that every time I see her I’m green with envy because she is just so fierce.

11. Elaine2 December 24, 2012 at 15:02 #

I actually prefer Karlie Kloss.

12. Amy December 24, 2012 at 19:49 #

YAY. I’m so GLAD she’s got a mention. Personally she was my breakout red carpet star this year.For me she embodies everything you’ll expect a model to be on the red carpet: elegant but still fashionable, KK does that better than anyone.
    That MET ball gown and both Cavalli looks are major.

13. EmmaWoodhouse December 25, 2012 at 14:27 #

I totally get why she won this award–she was out and about a lot, wore many different designers, and won BDOTW a few times, but other than her Rachel Zoe look at the Met nothing stands out for me personally. It’s just a taste difference.