18.12.12

Jessica Biel In Elle US January 2013

Jessica Biel heads into the new year as the cover girl for Elle US, with an amazing photoshoot for their January 2013 issue.

She wears Dior on the newsstand issue and Givenchy for the subscribers cover.

It may be a concept we have seen several times before, but the actress was captured in her editorial by Thomas Whiteside alongside top designers, including Jean Paul Gaultier, Azzedine Alaïa, Christian Louboutin, Isabel Marant, the artisanal of Maison Martin Margiela, Nicola Formichetti of Mugler, Olivier Rousteing of Balmain, Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli of Valentino and Giambattista Valli – who created her wedding gown – dressed in pieces from the Spring 2013 collections.

So this is what she was doing in Paris earlier this year: when it was reported that she was interviewing designers, it turns out she was being shot with designers. Her Isabel Marant Spring 2013 look worn on that day was even captured in the editorial.

As a newlywed, she of course talks about her marriage, her honeymoon and her hubby, Justin Timberlake. Here are some extracts from her interview:

On her honeymoon: “Honeymooning is the best thing about being a newlywed. I wish I could honeymoon forever.”

On marriage: “It means always having someone there to open the pickle jar . . . to share the ups and downs with, have adventures with. Someone to go swimming naked with. That kind of thing.”

On Justin’s domestic sensibility: “He bakes pies. He’s Southern, so he’s got all this influence from his grandma. He does a three-layer pie . . . and blueberry crunch cake, which is pretty unbelievable. It doesn’t happen all that often, thank God. Otherwise, it would be a big problem.”

On the future: “My goal now is to work with great directors. Small role, big role, medium-size role – it doesn’t matter. I just want to work with someone who’s going to push me to a scary, exciting place that I’ve never been before.”

Credit: Elle US

Anne Hathaway In Carven - ‘Les Miserables’ Luncheon

Anne Hathaway In Carven – ‘Les Miserables’ Luncheon

Kate Bosworth In Proenza Schouler - Audi Aspen Holiday Party

Kate Bosworth In Proenza Schouler – Audi Aspen Holiday Party

37 Responses to Jessica Biel In Elle US January 2013

1. Rebecca Z December 18, 2012 at 16:05 #

Wow. This is spectacular.

2. Yeliz December 18, 2012 at 16:08 #

This is one amazing editorial. I love that each designer was included.

3. Beta December 18, 2012 at 16:09 #

love the Jean Paul Gaultier photo, it captures really well his identity IMO. The Maison Margiela (or where the pic was taken) is beautiful

• Sally December 18, 2012 at 19:27 #

4. justme December 18, 2012 at 16:18 #

The only pic of this editorial I like is the one with Jean-Paul Gaultier and surprise, surprise, her bangs are pushed back there. I know I sound like a broken record but come on, it’s true lol.

All jokes aside, I also like the bed pic with Giambatista Valli.= but that’s it.

I just don’t see Jessica as a fashion girl.

• Fashion Critic December 18, 2012 at 17:12 #

thats my fave too

5. Mick December 18, 2012 at 16:23 #

I’m not a fan of Biel, but I must admit this editorial is kind of awesome.

6. Sara December 18, 2012 at 16:35 #

A model Jessica is not. She looks so posed and tense, it’s hard to appreciate the clothing. The rooftop photo is so unoriginal. Haven’t we seen something like this from Gweneth & Cameron?

• Sara December 18, 2012 at 16:36 #

oops, Gwyneth. I knew it looked wrong. LOL

• Jessie December 18, 2012 at 19:56 #

agreed, If the designers weren’t there, all the photos would be boring.

Also, her chin looks awkwardly chopped off by the choker in the grey cover…

• tiffany December 18, 2012 at 21:11 #

+2 – there is *nothing* high fashion about Jessica. People keep trying, though. Keep her bubbly and commercial – that’s where she’d sell.

7. Fashion Follows Her December 18, 2012 at 16:38 #

Jessica looks fab…..Love the necklaces, so bold and beautiful!

8. Juliana December 18, 2012 at 16:50 #

Loved the editorial!

9. Linda December 18, 2012 at 17:10 #

I’m not too sure what to say here. I just feel like all this access to designers and high fashion is wasted on her. (Sorry to Jess, nothing personal). This shoot did not translate into an exciting editorial in any way. The cover shots are uninspired and the clunky necklaces are doing nothing for her, particularly the choker in the second picture. Bangs do not suit her and I wish they had styled them back.

10. July0l1972 December 18, 2012 at 17:22 #

I also love the Jean-Paul Gaultier but my eye was immediately drawn to the “fierce” guy on the left who is werking the heck out of those straps and heels. Jessica is undeniably gorgeous but does not have a commanding presence at all. She wears clothes well but doesn’t know how to sell them.

11. dee December 18, 2012 at 17:22 #

Hate the covers. The hair is a mess but the pictures inside are kinda cool.

12. andrea December 18, 2012 at 17:27 #

What a gorgeous spread, well done Elle. My favorite is the pic with Jean Paul Gaultier, how fierce does Jessica look in that pic???!!!

13. robbie December 18, 2012 at 17:45 #

i take it i will be a rare one to find this editorial utterly boring. the clothes are fantastic the venues for each shot is beautifuil, but they may aswell have took a shop mannequin and dressed that instead, least it would have more life and presence than jessica.

14. EmmaWoodhouse December 18, 2012 at 18:38 #

Love the concept but not always the risque execution. I like the Marant and the Valentino…the cover pics look a bit dead.

15. goldfish December 18, 2012 at 18:43 #

loves this- she looks spectacular

16. Elizabeth December 18, 2012 at 18:45 #

Didn’t Elle do this very same concept with Jennifer Lopez a while back?? As you mentioned FC, this isn’t anything new, and while Jessica Biel looks great in some of these shots, I am disappointed by the lack of originality Elle is showing here…

• Fashion Critic December 18, 2012 at 20:38 #

I have been trying to find who it was…I can’t remember.

I just remember Oscar de la Renta making an appearance

17. ash December 18, 2012 at 19:12 #

The editorial would’ve been great if someone else was in Jessica Biel’s place.. She’s just so boring.. I think omeone like Amanda Seyfried or Anne Hathaway or just about anyone else would’ve made this a lot more fabulous than it is.

18. SilentVisitor December 18, 2012 at 19:46 #

I think she looks great but my favorite is the one with Christian Louboutin

19. Kathy December 18, 2012 at 20:52 #

The subscriber cover looks very awkward, what is up with the bottom of her chin hitting the choker so abruptly? Something is off…

I like the newsstand cover much more, but I agree with the above comments; I also feel Jessica comes off as very stiff. Her clothes are amazing, but from her expression and attitude you’d think this was her first editorial.

• Erin December 18, 2012 at 23:29 #

Something looks off because all of the photoshop done to her face, her nose looks totally different with in real life.

20. K December 18, 2012 at 22:12 #

great concept but i wish it was with someone more… not jessica biel she just doesn’t have “it”

21. JoJo December 18, 2012 at 23:36 #

What an amazing editorial, I think Jessica holds her own. The Jean Paul Gaultier is my favourite, but I agree with other posters, the other models in the frame are so commanding! Love the Louboutin and Valli shots too. Thanks for posting this FC.

22. Christine December 19, 2012 at 02:51 #

Nice editorial

23. Valeria December 19, 2012 at 03:32 #

She is really selling me JP Gaultier and Alaia dress and red Loubotin heels, that’s where she really has presence and she should keep that style for red carpet! Love the composition of Valli shot and Marant one, but Jessica is not exactly model off duty fashion kinda girl.

24. Provost December 19, 2012 at 04:40 #

My favorite is Gaultier and I think she looks great in the Louboutin shot as well.

Still, my favorite application of this concept will always be:

25. Joy December 19, 2012 at 06:13 #

I agree with other posters, the designers are the best part of this editorial. It is a real treat to see them all in the photographs. But I do think I’ve seen this before and I can’t remember either. Jessica Biel is the worst part of the whole spread. She just isn’t that kind of celebrity to command and hold the attention this attracts. I don’t know what it is about her, maybe her posing but she just doesn’t carry herself and put off the vibe this spread warrants. Each picture she looks like she doesn’t belong. I loved the designers though!

26. the ogre December 19, 2012 at 06:25 #

i’m going to say she looks great in all the photos in the editorial! gotta give her credit for stepping out of herself for a change. wish she would dress more like this in real life. the giambattista valli pic is my favourite.

27. olala December 19, 2012 at 08:11 #

I absolutely love the photos and the appearance of the designers, but as most of you said, Jessica is not a fashion girl to me.
    does anyone agree with me that she started to get more attention from the big brands and magazines since she got engaged to Justin?! even her sense of dressing changed!
    if Charlize was there or Rihanna THEY would have stole the show

28. manja December 19, 2012 at 09:15 #

I love it,may fav is C Loboutine

29. katie December 19, 2012 at 12:11 #

Im not a huge Jessica fan but she does look amazing in these photos

30. Bet Rodrigues December 20, 2012 at 02:57 #

Don’ get Biel as a fashionista, but in this layout, she’s a knockout…lots of leg, lots of face and most wonderful clothes!!!!