18.12.12

Gwen Stefani for Vogue US January 2013

Gwen Stefani landed the January 2013 cover for American Vogue. The 43-year-old rock star sparkles on the cover wearing a Saint Laurent Spring 2013 ensemble shot by Annie Leibovitz.

In the rest of the editorial she wears more Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane and A.L.C. There were no fancy ball gowns or bewitching fairytale locations – just Gwen in her element in a studio wearing rocker threads and staying true to herself.

The singer opens up to Vogue about everything from motherhood to her music.

This issue hits newsstands on December 25. Here are some highlights to keep you going until then.

On being pregnant while recording her first album: “I did my first solo record and went on tour while I was pregnant. I would want to throw up during certain songs. Certain outfits would make me sick. It was torture. I toured until I was four and a half months pregnant, showing. I came home and had Kingston, and when he was eight months old, I went back on the road. I nursed him for fourteen months, so I would literally do my hair and makeup, go back to the bus, nurse him, put him down, and walk out onstage. And I did that for 100 shows.”

On motherhood:
“It’s super fun being a mom, but it’s not what you think it’s going to be. And it’s really gradual. At first, your life is totally the same. You have this cute little thing that you get to drive around everywhere and you’re so proud and it’s amazing. And as they grow older, it really does start to change your life. Like, Oh, my God, they have school, they have to get through first grade, they have to learn to read. It starts getting so serious, and you’re like, Aaaaaaah!”

On her band, No Doubt:
“I feel like we’ve always been in our own little lane. Never fitting in. Never a nineties grunge band, never a pop girl band. And it’s the same now. I did the solo thing, but I felt like I was trying to play a character in a way, this Alice in Wonderland pretend version of myself. But this, being in No Doubt, is really who I am.”

On what inspires her music: “There has to be some kind of saga going on. . . . Ten years ago, I had started L.A.M.B. because I was preparing myself, knowing that the music thing was going to end. Who knew that ten years later, I’d be doing a No Doubt record, be married, have two kids, have three clothing lines? All at one time! It would be ridiculous to do that. And it is ridiculous. It’s impossible. . . . That’s what this whole record was: trying to balance it, trying to be my creative self but also be the new me.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz for Vogue US

Hailee Steinfeld In Louis Vuitton - Sweet 16 Party

Hailee Steinfeld In Louis Vuitton – Sweet 16 Party

Megan Fox In Roland Mouret - The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Megan Fox In Roland Mouret – The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

13 Responses to Gwen Stefani for Vogue US January 2013

1. Aurian Chelest December 18, 2012 at 13:16 #

Her head looks awkward, bad photoshop. But I loved the jacket.

• Beta December 18, 2012 at 14:24 #

yeah right? I also noticed that :P the thing is I dont know what could be done because if you put the fedora over the title it would cover all of it :P

2. Beta December 18, 2012 at 14:23 #

if anyone is going to work the latest saint laurent its gwen (with permission from Moss)
    having said that, I dont know if I like the cover of vogue or not. On one hand its great that it’s different (less boring than usual), on the other hand im cracking up thinking of a dissected frog :P

3. Christine December 18, 2012 at 14:40 #

Like the cover.

4. jeremy December 18, 2012 at 15:29 #

Looong overdue….It’s crazy to think this is Gwen’s first US cover considers how much of a style icon she is.

5. Rebecca Z December 18, 2012 at 15:39 #

She is spectacular, but the cover photo looks bad–the pose is weird and her head looks really flat on top. Hard to believe they would release this.

6. Mne December 18, 2012 at 16:56 #

I think this is gorgeous. So different and much more exciting than past Vogue covers. It is so Gwen and so classy yet cool. Amazing. It really makes me enjoy this Saint Laurent collection so much more. What do you think FC?

• Mne December 18, 2012 at 16:57 #

Also love the piano!

7. EmmaWoodhouse December 18, 2012 at 18:08 #

I hate the cover pose but like the cool styling of this editorial. That gold jacket on the cover is pretty fun!

8. Kathy December 18, 2012 at 18:32 #

I love this cover! It’s so interesting and full of personality. Gwen looks amazing, and her jacket is to die for.

9. pipsqueak December 19, 2012 at 05:04 #

Can’t wait to get my copy in the mail! Now, that’s a Vogue cover. Some past covers of Vogue have made me wonder if I was looking at Ladies’ Home Journal. Love Gwen, love the color palette of the cover, love the jacket and love her Q&A. She sounds truthful and relaxed as though talking to a girlfriend (vs. Jessica Biels’ pretentious chatter in Elle and on Conan – a US talk show).