Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ Royal Premiere

It may have been a royal premiere, but there was only one queen reigning supreme on the red carpet this evening for ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ screening at the Empire Leicester Square, and that was Cate Blanchett.

The Australian actress wore a winter-white Givenchy Spring 2013 gown.

Considering the near-freezing temperatures in the capital this evening, Cate was wise to wear this long-sleeve, side slit, high-neck gown with gold metal accents on both shoulders and inside the cuffs, but the surprise feature of this look was the open back.

The elegant gown was styled with a white Givenchy envelope clutch and Givenchy Spring 2013 fashion-forward heels.

I don’t know about you, but I think I just died and went to fashion heaven.

You can pre-order Cate’s Givenchy Spring 2013 sandals from Lusia via Roma.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kerry Washington In Sportmax - Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Kerry Washington In Sportmax – Women In Film 2014 Crystal + Lucy Awards

Amanda Seyfried In Nonoo - ‘Les Miserables’ Luncheon

Amanda Seyfried In Nonoo – ‘Les Miserables’ Luncheon

50 Responses to Cate Blanchett In Givenchy – ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ Royal Premiere

1. tiffany December 12, 2012 at 21:36 #

I really do want to love this, but I’m not completely on board. The shoe makes my heart sing, but the gown – it’s like she’s the regal cult leader of some backwoods misfits.

• noo December 12, 2012 at 21:58 #

she’s a hairstyle away from being princess lea (with awesome shoes)!

• Molly December 12, 2012 at 22:49 #

I agree completely – I thought of Princess Leia immediately. But this is exactly why I LOVED it. The dress seems somehow very elvish, and so is just the exact perfect look for this particular event. Funny thing is that it does not look costumey at all on the model, so there is something about the combination with Cate. I adore it.

• CreoleLady December 12, 2012 at 22:57 #

Lol, agree with you and tiffany. Not feeling it. She is better than the dress.

2. mary December 12, 2012 at 21:40 #

I totally LOVE this, she looks amazing, BDOTW. What a great week she has had.

3. Anne December 12, 2012 at 21:45 #

I may be an unpopular opinion on this one. I am not into this dress. It’s just reminds me of a straight jacket or a skirt with a bib. Givenchy usually isn’t my aesthetic, so it would take a lot for me to like this. Cool shoes, though.

4. DorianGray December 12, 2012 at 21:46 #

The world would be a lonely place without Queen Cate.
    (I really like Givenchy by Tisci’s SS13 collection)

5. robbie December 12, 2012 at 21:49 #

on anyone else this dress would be an absolute bore but on cate it is divine, the shoes however and truly hideous looking.

6. Mina December 12, 2012 at 21:55 #

So season/event appropriate, so fashion forward … (sigh) so perfect.

7. Glenda December 12, 2012 at 22:03 #

In less than a week and with only three looks, she has managed to blow all the competition for best dressed of the year out of the water. There’s nothing left to do but bow down, I suppose. Good grief, when she’s on form, she totally owns the red carpet.

8. Hannah December 12, 2012 at 22:08 #

She’s sepctacular. I want all of her looks to be up for BDOTW but then I’m scared that she will divide votes and therefore someone ele will very unfairly win. Maybe we shoud have a best dressed of the mid-week poll? Or we should just give Cate an honourable mention a la Diane last year (year before maybe?)?
    Either way, she’s spectacular. I thought we’d have the first Cate free BDOTY list in forever, apparently not.

9. asherlev1 December 12, 2012 at 22:18 #

You know what? I don’t think I like Givenchy at all. There. I said.

Everytime I see something from Givenchy on the red carpet, I tend not to like it.

• noo December 12, 2012 at 22:28 #

I am a Givenchy hater as well! Not in the presentation, not on the red carpet, never!

• asherlev1 December 12, 2012 at 22:34 #

Oh whoops I meant

I said it*

• Beta December 13, 2012 at 07:58 #

+1 me too. Add in Balenciaga.
      the clothes are too ‘edgy’, and I often find them plain ugly

10. Laura December 12, 2012 at 22:25 #

The dress looks like a costume from The Hobbit. I don’t like it in white. Needs to be in another colour

11. Rebecca Z December 12, 2012 at 22:35 #

Sad to say that I agree with the naysayers here. Don’t particularly like the dress and I think those are some of the ugliest shoes I have ever seen–plus they look really uncomfortable. This looks like it could have been her costume from the movie, if she were barefoot.

12. Angela R. December 12, 2012 at 22:59 #

I admire her boldness, the fact that she is wearing something so difficult to carry on and try to succeed. But on the other hand, I do not like the dress at all, it looks like a costume, and the open back does not ease my pain, so this is a total “no” for Cate tonight… Anyway, those shoes are so original!

13. Yeliz December 12, 2012 at 23:02 #

I like it, but I don’t love it. It fits her better than the model though. My favourite look of Cate this week, however, is her Peter Pilotto look.

• Maz December 12, 2012 at 23:16 #

14. Nat39 December 12, 2012 at 23:19 #

I’m also on the fence about this one. It’s certainly an interesting fashion-forward look, and Cate has the presence to pull it off, but to me it reeks of a catholic sister/war nurse from the front, and I don’t quite like the way the back is constructed.
    Her Peter Pilotto remains my fave of her 3 looks so far.

• Marybeth December 13, 2012 at 01:44 #

Agree on all points!

15. TeaAtTwo December 13, 2012 at 00:18 #

At first I liked it but wasn’t sure about the fit around the bust but the more I look at the pics the more I love it. It’s so clean and pure and chic. Here she’s the high priestess of fashion and we’re her disciples. I prefer her version of those Givenchy sandals too they go well with aesthetic of the look.

• TeaAtTwo December 13, 2012 at 00:36 #

Next I want to see her in some Jil Sander. :)

• Rashmi December 13, 2012 at 07:34 #

+1.
      Agree on this.
      Its hard to carry/pull off this look.
      But she somehow makes it work wonderfully!
      Thats her charisma i guess! Love!

16. Betelgeuze December 13, 2012 at 00:35 #

Love the back of this dress, but the front feels a bit ugly for me. I understand that in this freezing cold it must feel much comfier than alternatives, though. About these shoes, I mean, aren’t they a bit… painful? The arch of my foot hurts by just looking at it.
    Overall, nothing horrendous, but I prefer the other two looks she wore previously this week.

17. Pedro December 13, 2012 at 01:02 #

She looks PERFECT!

18. Ramsay December 13, 2012 at 01:48 #

Not up to the level of her two previous outings this weeks but still head and shoulders above the rest – elegant, chic and unique – any other week she would be BDOTW but considering she’s competing with herself with two superior looks she’s gonna have to settle for number 3 this week with this look – she’s on a roll – I bow down for probably the greatest fashion and film have ever known

19. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang December 13, 2012 at 02:24 #

Bow down, people!! Our favorite Queen Cate Blanchett is a picture of breathtaking stunner in this winter white Givenchy custom made creation!! Ya I know a lot of you are Givenchy haters, but on me Cate looks absolutely divine!! She has the ice cool queen character that pulls off this outfit like a regal air!! Absolutely stunning!! BDOTW contender again!!

• chryssa December 13, 2012 at 14:05 #

20. Christine December 13, 2012 at 02:28 #

Wow, she is rocking this. Long live the Queen! She got her mojo back ;)

21. EmmaWoodhouse December 13, 2012 at 03:20 #

Just got to say it always makes me happy to see you love one of Cate’s looks, FC. I know that you have always been a fan of your style and am glad that she is once more fulfilling her own legacy in your eyes!
    This look is super difficult to pull off–and there is certainly a Princess Leia vibe about it. Yet I think Cate really pulls it off with her elven grace and stunning, commanding presence. On anyone else this would have been a disaster but on Cate–it’s a three for three score this week! The open back works well here.
    (Only caveat: her bun appears to be coming undone a bit.)

22. CTgirl December 13, 2012 at 03:29 #

This has too much of a Princess Leia vibe. Princes Leia when she was kissing her brother Luke for “luck”. Princess Leia before she she discovered the charms of Han Solo. Oh crap, I am such a geek . . .

• Moxie December 13, 2012 at 15:41 #

+1. I was thinking the exact same thing.

• snowlion December 13, 2012 at 16:01 #

Exactly what I thought! If Leia had a red carpet event coming up, I imagine this is what she would have worn. Not such a great thing though if you are not a fictional character by that name.

• Leti December 14, 2012 at 13:28 #

ITA about Princess Leia. It doesn’t give off that vibe on the runway, though. I think it’s the choker.

23. Dhppy December 13, 2012 at 03:39 #

Those shoes look like they’ve been mechanically engineered to move with or without a foot attached. The gown… hmmm. I like minimalist looks, but I wish this had a little more to it in the cut or draping. I like the flare of the cuffs though. I suspect the top part is too large for her and that’s affecting the draping.

24. Jess2 December 13, 2012 at 04:07 #

I may not be head over heels about everything here but if you look up the definition of fashion forward you will find this look. She is just amazing!

25. Katharine December 13, 2012 at 04:33 #

I adore this : definitely gets my vote for BDOTW, and a strong contender for BDOTY.

26. the ogre December 13, 2012 at 04:40 #

i think i was a dead person till now…i’m alive thanks to cate blanchett! i feel like a person with flesh and blood(all tingly!)…sigh!

27. Joy December 13, 2012 at 05:37 #

FC, for those of us that follow your posts religiously we know you are a happy girl when Kate Blanchett is out and about. :) For me this look was a bit strange. Those shoes are interesting, not sure I love them but they definitely are different. The dress reminded me of a sheet or something. But if anyone could pull this look off it was Kate, as she looked lovely in the strange get up. I can’t blame her for the outfit choice, she obviously was trying to cover up with the cold weather. I know I would want to do the same!

28. bas December 13, 2012 at 08:39 #

Fashion Heaven indeed! Perfection!

29. manja December 13, 2012 at 08:42 #

you gotta love her,even if you don’t like the dress,she carries it with great aplomb,and when I first saw this post I went WOW,so for me this is def BDOTW and poss BDOTY

30. Noemi (WBiS) December 13, 2012 at 09:07 #

I’m not crazy about this dress. From the back is amazing, but the front is quite unflattering.

31. LeeAnn December 13, 2012 at 09:59 #

I have decided that after this and Anne Hathaway’s that I am not a Givenchy girl. All she needs is a meat cleaver and she could work in my local butchers.

32. dee December 13, 2012 at 13:21 #

Not sure about the dress, it’s interesting but I don’t really love it. the shoes are interesting as well but they look painful.

33. gabis December 13, 2012 at 13:28 #

I for one don’t find this costumesy at all. However the ill-fitted top prevents me from loving it. I also absolutely dislike her clutch.
    I’m not crazy about the shoes either but I can cope with them. I think they bring some edginess to the look. Hair and makeup are as flawless as always.

34. Lyvm December 13, 2012 at 16:37 #

Cate’s skin is perfection as usual and her makeup is fresh. While the dress certainly looks minimalistic-fierce her hair is very headmistress-like, making the dress seem a little nun-like, even. I would’ve preferred a clean futuristic center part bun similar to the model’s.

35. Susanna December 13, 2012 at 19:29 #

Wow, she looks stunning !

36. Tatiana December 14, 2012 at 02:27 #

Love it. She looks amazing. BDOTW.