Anne Hathaway In Tom Ford – ‘Les Miserables’ New York Premiere

Anne Hathaway hit the red carpet wearing another daring look for the New York premiere of ‘Les Miserables’ held at the Ziegfeld Theatre yesterday evening.

On this occasion the risk paid off for me.

Opting for a look so far away from her goody-two-shoes image, she wore a dark and mysterious Tom Ford Spring 2013 dress.

The black taffeta cape-back dress with a thigh-high slit was styled with a sexy pair of Tom Ford knee-high bondage-style boots and Fred Leighton jewels.

With lacquered hair, the actress completed her look with on-trend dark rouge lips.

The only thing that was missing from this gothic look was black nail polish; however, Anne opted for no polish at all.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Karolina Kurkova In Preen - Lucky FABB: Fashion and Beauty Blog Conference

Karolina Kurkova In Preen – Lucky FABB: Fashion and Beauty Blog Conference

Jessica Chastain In Elie Saab - ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ LA Premiere

Jessica Chastain In Elie Saab – ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ LA Premiere

92 Responses to Anne Hathaway In Tom Ford – ‘Les Miserables’ New York Premiere

1. Gillian December 11, 2012 at 09:13 #

This surely won’t go well commercially or outside fashion circles, or maybe even in them, but I love it. It exudes edginess and risk-taking and it paid off.

2. Ramsay December 11, 2012 at 09:14 #

This week is offering so many good looks – this is a hit for Anne – I think it would’ve worked even better had she been promoting The Dark Knight – It’s very difficult to pull off this dress because of this shape and especislly its fabric – the shoes are great addition

3. jeremy December 11, 2012 at 09:16 #

I literally CHOKED on my Dr. Pepper for this. I really have to look thrice to make sure that is Hathaway. I love the sexy make-up and the dress is warming up on me, but why the S&M shoes??

• AnnaLee December 11, 2012 at 09:20 #

So true… The dress works for me (daring, but it works somehow), love the make up and the hair but those shoes… Don’t like those AT ALL!

• Charlotte December 11, 2012 at 09:23 #

I agree with you. The dress and the make up are great, but the shoes are awful ! And it’s too much with such a sexy dress.

• Lori December 11, 2012 at 15:04 #

Call it edgy all you like, hideous is hideous and those shoes are hideous. All I feel from this look is “my stylist told me to.” Plus a runway carbon copy? Make the look your own. They look like leg braces. Hideous.

• Rebecca Z December 11, 2012 at 15:23 #

I am with the shoe haters on this one. The dress, hair and makeup are great, and a strappy shoe would wok, but these boots are grotesque and not attractive.

• Foteini P. December 11, 2012 at 23:56 #

• anna December 11, 2012 at 18:58 #

Agreed. Those shoes are awful.

4. CreoleLady December 11, 2012 at 09:20 #

Whoa. I am woman, hear me roar. She’s exploring her inner Cat Woman with a soupçon of dominatrix tossed in, lol. Well if she’s going to wear black as fiercely as this, I’m going sit back and enjoy the view. Work.

• Kaz December 11, 2012 at 11:03 #

+1. Werk! Love this from head-to-toe.

5. la-karenina December 11, 2012 at 09:21 #

Sorry, but those shoes are hideous. With different shoes I would have look the look.

• T from Sydney December 11, 2012 at 09:38 #

Totally agree. The shoes are horrible.

• Natalie19 December 11, 2012 at 14:40 #

I agree

I absolutely LOVE her hair and makeup here!!! (i’m usually not a fan of Anne’s makeups).

But the shoes…..oh my god….no! it’s ridiculous!!!

• Moxie December 11, 2012 at 15:02 #

• noo December 11, 2012 at 15:32 #

I cannot accept these shoes, they are disgusting imo!

• Leti December 11, 2012 at 16:47 #

Exactly!

• Hannah December 11, 2012 at 23:01 #

They remind me of the leg braces in Forrest Gump. I don’t love the dress anyway, but the shoes are painful.

• Christine December 12, 2012 at 02:26 #

I couldn’t agree more. I had to do a triple take. LOL. I am still in shocked but also in awe at the same time.

6. Betty Brandenbrug December 11, 2012 at 09:26 #

Grerat dress, godawful shoes. Looked bad on the model, looks bad on Hathaway. Shame, as otherwise ishe looks fab.

7. ramalama December 11, 2012 at 09:27 #

Shoes are disaster.

8. Betelgeuze December 11, 2012 at 09:28 #

Adore the dress, hate those weird things on her legs. The makeup is perfect.

• Noemi (WBiS) December 11, 2012 at 09:44 #

I agree with you. Those “things” maybe would be right for a short LBD, but not for this one. The hairstyle and make up are perfect, she looks beautiful.

• Yeliz December 11, 2012 at 10:06 #

Totally agree.

• Natalie19 December 11, 2012 at 14:41 #

Exactly my thoughts

9. Laura December 11, 2012 at 09:35 #

Yuk! Those shoes are all kinds of fugly. Make it stop, they are hurting my eys.

10. rebecca o December 11, 2012 at 09:38 #

Her hair finally looks nice but those boots are absolutely hideous.

11. bas December 11, 2012 at 09:52 #

I love the theme, but the shoes are a bit too much for me, a pair a good sandals would have been preferred. I like that she is going out of her comfort zone :)

12. manja December 11, 2012 at 09:55 #

a risk that didn’t pay off IMO,and the monstrocity on her legs too much for words.she is not edgy and she shoudl not try to be.on the other hand Amanda looks fantastic.too bad for Anne.

13. Anna December 11, 2012 at 09:57 #

Anne looks great in the dress, that risk definitely paid off.

BUT the shoes are a bloody disaster of epic proportions!!!!! It looks like a high heeled sandal combined with the boot you wear when you’ve injured your leg.

• carolina December 11, 2012 at 13:02 #

Hah, yes indeed – thanks for the laugh.

14. vicky December 11, 2012 at 10:15 #

Awful “shoes”, otherwise a very interesting look!

15. JGH December 11, 2012 at 10:21 #

I legit thought she broke her leg and was trying for a “sexy leg brace.”

16. serapart December 11, 2012 at 10:23 #

the shoes are worse than victoria beckhams hideous opentoe boots, other than that, I love the vamp-look…

17. dressaddict December 11, 2012 at 10:32 #

The shoes ruin the look. Totally. Everything could’ve been perfect with a different pair of shoes.

18. Ruff December 11, 2012 at 10:55 #

Best hair since she cut it. Best make-up in months. Torerable dress. But those shoes are simply editorial material, they don´t translate well to the red carpet. I appreciate the risk, but it just didn´t pay off.

19. Mel December 11, 2012 at 11:00 #

This is hideous and the pose is overacted. What was she thinking? The dress, the sandals, the makeup, the attitude… anything works here.

20. Lara December 11, 2012 at 11:51 #

Perfect hair and even more perfect make-up. The dress, I could live with. The shoes? N to the O.

21. Rach December 11, 2012 at 12:08 #

I admire her for taking a risk and I’m not so horrified by the shoes, I love that she went there. The whole look wouldn’t look out of place of Eva Green, so it’s very different for Anne.
    I love the hair and make-up though, fantastic.

22. Angeline December 11, 2012 at 12:13 #

Styling disaster.

23. gabis December 11, 2012 at 12:14 #

Honestly I don’t care much for it on Anne. The 60′s hairstyle and the soft makeup against the futurist/edgy/fierce knee-high boots is what makes this look work on the look book model. But Anne based her whole look on the boots and went with the obvious gothic styling. Not a fan.

24. TL December 11, 2012 at 12:18 #

Guessing I am the only one here who doesn’t like both the dress and the hideous shoes. Love her makeup though.

• Kaylie December 11, 2012 at 12:37 #

No, you’re not the only one who didn’t like both the dress and the shoes. The dress looks like a little kid tied a couple of garbage bags to their back to make a superhero cape. And I agree with whoever above mentioned that they thought she was wearing a leg brace and trying to make it sexy. I haven’t been a fan of any of the recent Tom Ford looks, to be honest.

• dee December 11, 2012 at 13:25 #

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like she is wearing a trash bag. The dress is awful and those shoes are butt ugly.

• roxy December 11, 2012 at 17:25 #

+1 only the hair and makeup are decent

• justme December 11, 2012 at 14:53 #

No, I’m right there with you. This is a disaster from the neck down.

• Nat39 December 11, 2012 at 19:32 #

TACKY MESS from the neck down. Kudos to Anne for trying to work it

25. Zissou December 11, 2012 at 13:06 #

There’s absolutely nothing here that I enjoy.

26. kane December 11, 2012 at 13:08 #

Bust shot: oh yes!
    Full shot: too complicated for me… and these shoes.

27. Anne December 11, 2012 at 13:11 #

I am on board for this look, save for the shoes which I thought were a fancy way to hide a leg brace or a cast. The vampy lippy and the slicked hair are to die for and complement the edgy gown perfectly. But, kick the cray cray shoes to the curb.

28. Luiza December 11, 2012 at 13:52 #

I’m not feeling this look AT ALL. But I love the hair and make up and attitude

29. Jess2 December 11, 2012 at 14:00 #

Wow, work it girl! I think this is a great look, she sure did take some risks and she pulls it off. Just based on my personal taste though, I would have loved to have seen this with different shoes. Had she worn different shoes this would have been a BDOTY contender for me because the dress is amazing on Anne and her hair and makeup is absolute perfection! Good on her, she did really well here :)

30. ash December 11, 2012 at 14:03 #

I like how she’s expeimenting and she’s going out of her comfort zone, but I just think that she doesn’t have that kind of charisma to pull off this look, though I’d probably be so in love with this look if Rihanna was wearing it.

• mm December 11, 2012 at 14:45 #

Yes this is a Rihanna look for sure but I love it on Anne

31. Juliana December 11, 2012 at 14:03 #

The dress itself is okay but with the shoes… Just NO!

32. TeaAtTwo December 11, 2012 at 14:23 #

She’s commanding the look with real presence but I’m not a fan of the boots if it had been just been the sandal part this would have been really amazing and I would be lusting after them.

33. Andrew December 11, 2012 at 14:37 #

Tom Ford has lost it. The dress is plain wierd, the shoes ugly, but the hair and make-up stunning!

34. Emmeline December 11, 2012 at 14:37 #

The shoes aren’t my personal taste, but I’m loving that she’s taking risks on this promo tour. It’s nice to see actresses who don’t always play it safe.

Other than the shoes, I think she looks fantastic. Her hair and makeup are divine.

35. mm December 11, 2012 at 14:44 #

I love it! The shoes work with the look. I love her hair and make up. Plus she owns the look to me.

36. kh December 11, 2012 at 15:08 #

Those shoes with that dress are AWFUL. I love domme inspired looks, goth at heart. But that dress just does not work with those shoes, they even make the model’s legs look short and stumpy.

37. Jess December 11, 2012 at 15:13 #

I don’t know what it is but the dresses Tom Ford is designing under his own label are surprisingly meh. Celebrities keep wearing them so I keep trying to like them but they all turn out either very ill-fitting or … well, cheap looking. In this case it’s the latter. Anne literally looks like she’s wearing a ripped garbage bag that’s been tarted up to look like taffeta, which isn’t much of an upgrade at all. The boots are hideous even though I appreciate the dramatic goth look she’s attempting. Her makeup and hair however, are flawless.

38. Ritika December 11, 2012 at 15:18 #

I love the shoes, I dont think the dress translates too well outside of the lookbook.. And I hate when I get a trying-too-hard vibe. I much preferred the Givenchy on her.

39. Wafa Al-Alawi December 11, 2012 at 15:55 #

I like the idea of the boots, and her makeup is gorgeous, but I wish the dress was just a simple black gown with a high slit and a little quirk to keep it safe from looking like yet another boring black gown or nightwear. I hate the wings and without them I’m afraid the dress would look like just a garbage bag. Bottom line is I love the idea, but I wish it was another dress. Halfway there.

40. Pedro December 11, 2012 at 16:08 #

EPIC!

41. Chloe December 11, 2012 at 16:30 #

The dress is ok, but those shoes look like the leg braces Forrest Gump had to wear. They’re hideous

42. kathryn December 11, 2012 at 17:07 #

Hair and makeup are amazing. The dress is okay although I do think the material looks more expensive on the model. I just can’t with those shoes.

Anne has definitely changed stylists as I can’t imagine Rachel Zoe choosing any of the looks she’s been sporting on the Les Miserables promo tour.

• Danielle December 11, 2012 at 18:31 #

You think? RZ is a huge Tom Ford devotee which made me agree with another commenter’s sentiment “my stylist told me to”

43. Christopher Teoh Jing Xiang December 11, 2012 at 17:28 #

Anne Hathaway goes vamp the glam in this Tom Ford black cape back gown with daring side split!! Many of you have problems with the Tom Ford knee high bandage style boots, but I think it works well with the dark and mysterious manner of the dress!! Love Anne’s slicked back do and dark berry lip!! Very vampy and mysterious, so sexy Anne Hathaway!!!This is how you do gothic glamour!!!

44. Liana December 11, 2012 at 18:28 #

What a mess. She looks sensational from the neck up, but I can’t get pass that ugly dress : that cape…! And Taffeta? Really? No. Just no.

45. Dhppy December 11, 2012 at 18:45 #

I’m going with a “yes” on this. The hair finally suits her. The gown is stylish and sleek and lovely. The sexy leg braces… well… if she were a stage performer (Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Katy Perry), I wouldn’t blink, but they do seem incongruous with the popular image of Anne Hathaway. I agree, it would be much more suited to a Batman premiere. However, it all still works. She still looks beautiful. Weirdly beautiful.

46. Susan December 11, 2012 at 18:47 #

Well, it’s different.

47. Annemarie December 11, 2012 at 18:56 #

I like the dress, but the shoes are a nightmare!

48. Amy December 11, 2012 at 19:20 #

the dress is original for sure but I don’t know how i feel about it but for the shoes I have one word : AWFUL.

49. Jones19 December 11, 2012 at 20:06 #

Agh I’m one of the shoe haters. Also the paps got a shot of her crotch when she was getting out of the car, why not wear underpants? I thought she wasn’t a trashy starlet.

• Elaine2 December 12, 2012 at 23:04 #

Yes, it seems as if she was taking more risks than just in the shoe department. Not a good idea…

50. Joy December 11, 2012 at 21:00 #

First time I have liked her hair since she cut it. It looks so right with dress! Would love the whole look if it weren’t for those hideous shoes which make her look as if she is auditioning for 50 shades of grey.

51. Teleholic December 11, 2012 at 21:23 #

This reminds me of that Versace dress Amber Valletta wore to the Costume Institute Gala

I really like it. It’s different, edgy, fashion-forward, and it’s worn right.

52. EmmaWoodhouse December 12, 2012 at 02:04 #

For me, it’s a no. Anne’s confidence and how beautiful she looks neck up gave me pause for a minute, but then I got down to facts:
    those boots are trashy and horrible.
    The dress is ugly, unflattering (especially from the back) and looks poorly made. So, while I appreciate that she’s taking risks, this wasn’t the right risk to take. Give me the white Givenchy any day.

• Rashmi December 12, 2012 at 09:45 #

+1.
      Agree on all!

• dee December 12, 2012 at 16:41 #

53. pipsqueak December 12, 2012 at 06:28 #

This look should’ve been worn in Japan. I think those boots would be more appreciated or even find their roots in Japan.

54. olala December 12, 2012 at 08:58 #

makeup: “finally a makeup that works” Award
    hair: “I won’t let Emma Watson win the best pixie cut ever award” Award
    pose: “look! my hands can cover my entire waist!” Award
    dress: “this is how u turn a garbage bag into a couture gown” Award
    shoes: “hideous but i’ll wear them anyway to give fashion people something to talk about” Award

• Rashmi December 12, 2012 at 09:44 #

Lol, this is hilarious and spot on !

• Iliah December 12, 2012 at 16:37 #

Haha love the pose Award! The amount she’s been going on and on about her weight lately is ridiculous, we get it Anne! I too was shocked that she was papped without underwear, where’s the common sense in that?!

• lama December 13, 2012 at 07:53 #

@Olala
      this is so funny… and SO right!
      she really needs a wizardly change ot her ‘miserable’ style!

55. Nick December 12, 2012 at 09:55 #

Wow! Anne looks so amazing and confident. I love the daring, mysterious and unique dress, the lips colour and the hair, but those boots… oh my, those boots let the whole look down… A pair of simpler strappy sandals would work BDOTW-worthier for this look, say Jimmy Choo ‘Diffuse’ sandals.

56. J December 12, 2012 at 15:03 #

One word: Vavavoom

57. Parvati December 12, 2012 at 21:16 #

I like that she opted for an edgy look, but I’m not that fond of these boots paired with this dress. However, this gets a thumbs up for me!

58. Prudence December 13, 2012 at 16:59 #

ever since I saw this gown ive been hoping some sassy actress/singer would wear this and AT LAST IT HAS HAPPENED. I always thought only someone like riri could rock this but anne killed it. I am SO HAPPY she kept the shoes. BDOTW.

59. Francois Bresmal December 13, 2012 at 21:31 #

I’m in love with the fact that this is a MAJOR step out of her comfort zone but I’m really having issues with the shoes… It’s just too much

60. Cooltweens December 14, 2012 at 17:51 #

Really ugly shoes. After she was snapped “revealing too much”, she pretty much admitted she was wearing NOTHING underneath. If she has to resort to that just to look good in that dress, I would say I’m not impressed. I prefer classy, effortless chic anytime.

61. skindjakker August 23, 2013 at 09:28 #

Schönes Ouftit! elegant! I Like ;)